Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name of Grisly TCM "Safe Driving" Short

Hope this is the right board for this question.

I just finished watching Bullitt  on TCM apprx 4:10pm EST, 4/3/21 and it was followed by an absolutely gruesome "Safe Driving" PSA from the 40's?  Unfortunately, I did not catch the name of the short and TCM did not let the credits roll on it. Looked like it was filmed in Los Angeles complete with LAPD personnel in the 40's.

Does anyone know the name of this grisly Driver's Ed horror masterpiece?  (definitely want to send this gem to my texting nieces and nephews - as well as a few co-workers).

Thanks in advance.

Several months ago, after a TCM Underground block, a featurette along the same vein aired in color--absolutely gruesome.  After I look through my notes, I'll come back with the title.  

Several months ago, after a TCM Underground block, a featurette along the same vein aired in color--absolutely gruesome.  After I look through my notes, I'll come back with the title.  

I believe it was an instructional short called "Signal 30".   I remember having to watch it during Driver's Education class in the 1970s.  It was very gruesome.   

4 hours ago, CallMeTim said:

I believe it was an instructional short called "Signal 30".   I remember having to watch it during Driver's Education class in the 1970s.  It was very gruesome.   

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!...that one is beyond the pale (found it on YouTube). At a certain threshold I just have to turn it off and walk away. 

I took driver's ed in the mid '80s; we did not have to watch anything like "Traffic With The Devil " or "Signal 30."  

.....also find it odd that I can watch Alien, Predator, Robocop and John Wick films all day, but I get grossed out by a driver's ed short.😳

I was a little surprised to see it on the TCM schedule (I thought it was sometime last year).   I didn't see it on MCOH's database but I'm certain I saw it on my cable systems schedule.   I didn't record it though (once in a lifetime was enough). 

I took driver's ed in the mid '80s; we did not have to watch anything like "Traffic With The Devil " or "Signal 30."  

It was definitely a  different time......

23 hours ago, CallMeTim said:

I was a little surprised to see it on the TCM schedule (I thought it was sometime last year).   I didn't see it on MCOH's database but I'm certain I saw it on my cable systems schedule.   I didn't record it though (once in a lifetime was enough). 

It was definitely a  different time......

Yeah, the online schedules can differ from the on-screen schedules.  I don't put much thought into the shorts on the online schedule, other than to document the times they actually do show up on it.

Yeah, the online schedules can differ from the on-screen schedules.  I don't put much thought into the shorts on the online schedule, other than to document the times they actually do show up on it.

Thanks.  BTW I appreciate the effort you put into these schedules.   I find it really helpful.  

• Like 1

Ah yes. Grisly Drivers Ed films from back in the day, you say?!

The one I recall being shown in my high school D/E class back in the late-'60s was titled...wait for it...Red Asphalt. And, it can be found on YouTube.

BTW,  and to the OP of this thread. I wish you much luck with getting those nieces and nephews of yours to refrain from texting while driving.

Yep, this motorcyclist of 54 years here appreciates ANYTHING you can do to help make them more conscientious behind the wheel.

(...oh, and also tell them to never EVER tailgate, if you will, as I've noticed that it's especially the inexperienced kids out there who also seem to do this more than others)

The one I recall being shown in my high school D/E class back in the late-'60s was titled...wait for it...Red Asphalt. And, it can be found on YouTube.

Interesting. 

I looked up Red Asphalt on Wikipedia and noticed it was produced by the  California Highway Patrol.  

The one I saw when I took D/E in the Midwest (Signal 30) was produced by the Ohio State Police…

I can see a Film School Masters Thesis on this: 

“Regionalism in Mid 20th Century Gross Out Driver’s Education Instructional Films”😀

• Like 1