Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Easter Programming

Mia Bianchi

My family and I were incredibly disappointed that there were none of the usual Christian themed movies shown yesterday for Easter- 2021. On the most sacred of Christian holidays, I cannot fathom why.  Easter is the day we celebrate the resurrection of Christ.  It's the entire reason most of the world celebrates Easter, as the holiday itself is in remembrance of Him. Could anyone explain why the programming was changed this year? A month ago, I had to agree to an extra $20 on my cable bill to keep TCM, as it had been moved to a cable package I didn't have. I agreed to the extra charge for the SOLE reason of keeping TCM.  I'm not sure if we'll continue to pay for it now. I suppose at Christmas, TCM will no longer be screening anything related to Christ, as well? 

2 hours ago, Mia Bianchi said:

My family and I were incredibly disappointed that there were none of the usual Christian themed movies shown yesterday for Easter- 2021. On the most sacred of Christian holidays, I cannot fathom why.  Easter is the day we celebrate the resurrection of Christ.  It's the entire reason most of the world celebrates Easter, as the holiday itself is in remembrance of Him. Could anyone explain why the programming was changed this year? A month ago, I had to agree to an extra $20 on my cable bill to keep TCM, as it had been moved to a cable package I didn't have. I agreed to the extra charge for the SOLE reason of keeping TCM.  I'm not sure if we'll continue to pay for it now. I suppose at Christmas, TCM will no longer be screening anything related to Christ, as well? 

I don't think TCM is being anti-Christian. But the channel does not promote religion. Otherwise there would be programming for Jewish holidays, Muslim holidays, Buddhist holidays, etc.

They did air EASTER PARADE yesterday. They are currently running the 31 Days of Oscar. Typically the Oscar programming occurs in February to early March, but this year everything has been delayed due to Covid.

I am sure that the traditional religious epics you seek will be back in full force next Easter season.

TCM Big Screen Classics did show THE TEN COMMANDMENTS in theaters on Easter Sunday.

The 1959 BEN HUR aired I believe on Friday as part of the 31 Days Of Oscar.

I missed watching some of the Easter films, as well. The 1925 BEN HUR or the 1928 KING OF KINGS usually occupies the Silent Sunday Nights time slot on Easter, and I've enjoyed watching JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR  and GODSPELL in years past.

When I was a kid, we were always able to find a TV station showing JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR. It kind of became a tradition in our home! On Easter night, THE SOUND OF MUSIC would always be on TV.

It's always a pleasure to see EASTER PARADE, though. Fun film!

• Like 1

I mean, you people posting on these message boards  have some vague concept of how TCM works, right? Or obviously you don't. In a typical year, they probably would have been loaded up with Jesus movies. But this year, the Oscars are in April, so they're running 31 Days of Oscar. I actually thought kind of clever that they figured  it out where they can run Easter Parade right in the first primetime slot of Easter Sunday. Charlie Tabash or somebody had to do some work to that make that work out. 

Your Jesus movies will be back. Find something actually worth getting upset about for a change.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

saying you're not going to promote christianity is just the cute liberal way of being anti-christian.

we get it.

:D

They shouldn't have to promote Christianity, they don't have to promote Judaism or Buddhism. They can be tolerant (supportive) of different religious expression without being anti-anything.

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mean, you people posting on these message boards  have some vague concept of how TCM works, right? Or obviously you don't. In a typical year, they probably would have been loaded up with Jesus movies. But this year, the Oscars are in April, so they're running 31 Days of Oscar. I actually thought kind of clever that they figured  it out where they can run Easter Parade right in the first primetime slot of Easter Sunday. Charlie Tabash or somebody had to do some work to that make that work out. 

Your Jesus movies will be back. Find something actually worth getting upset about for a change.

Yes, and Ben-Hur on Good Friday!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings