Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Were You Actually Able To Talk With Robert Osbourne On These Boards?

I'm curious about this too. I read he posted in the very early days of the boards under the name "joy" or something similar. I'd be interested to know if he was known to be Mr. Osborne at the time or if he was posting incognito and was found out. 

I'm not sure when the TCM Message Boards started, but since I joined 14 years ago, I don't recall anyone ever suspecting that Robert Osborne was among the participants.

I do remember someone saying that Eddie Muller used to join in the discussions from time to time, before eventually moving to other platforms.  I would have welcomed the chance to hear his views on some of the topics here, but I don't think I ever participated in a discussion that included him.

51 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I'm not sure when the TCM Message Boards started, but since I joined 14 years ago, I don't recall anyone ever suspecting that Robert Osborne was among the participants.

I do remember someone saying that Eddie Muller used to join in the discussions from time to time, before eventually moving to other platforms.  I would have welcomed the chance to hear his views on some of the topics here, but I don't think I ever participated in a discussion that included him.

There were a few back and forth exchanges, could have been more.  One or two posters mouthed off at him or something.  Conversation was asymmetrical and lopsided, as well as one might expect anything to go on here without any moderator presence (all online conversations with celebrities that I have ever seen always have an active moderator).  It looked like he was testing the waters and thought "nah, I don't think so".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I first met Robert Osborne at a poster auction. We chatted for a bit and he was kind enough to give me his email address.  He generally answered. I say generally because some of my questions may not have merited his time. I remember one such occasion was about different prints of a silent film TCM aired. This was before I realized he probably had no idea about every aspect of TCM. Fans are into minutiae.

Later I had a couple of chances to speak with him privately at various festivals. He was always gracious and gave generously of his time.

I will forever maintain RO was nothing if not a total gentleman. I wish I had the inherent social graces to be more like him. He is a constant reminder to me to be kind to all people on my days when I lack patience.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3