Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More Abbott and Costello!

Amyteres

I am writing this on behalf of Bill Kantor. He is a veteran and a patient of mine. He loves Abbott and Costello. His favorites are Lost In a Harem, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein and Africa Screams. What are your favorites?

• 2 weeks later...

Starting at about 5 years old I was a fan of classic monsters, and of Abbott & Costello. My father regaled me with stories about his having seen ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN as a kid, when it was new (1948). It sounded like the greatest movie ever. We did eventually see it together on TV and as a little kid, I remember thinking, this must be the greatest movie of all time.

As an adult, I will still put it in the top 100 movies that I've ever seen. 

Probably, my next favorite A&C film is HOLD THAT GHOST. If your friend Bill has not seen it, I will bet that he will enjoy it.

• Like 1

I love Abbott & Costello. Once we finally got cable when I was a kid in the’70s, we were able to get WPIX out of NYC. They aired one of A&C’s Universal movies every Sunday morning at 11am. I probably saw each one at least 3 times. I really wish TCM (or any network) would show these movies on a regular basis so a new generation of kids could get exposed to their comedy.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Elove40 said:

My Favorite Abbott & Costello movie was them meeting Frankenstein!!!  When it comes to physical comedy, there right up there with the best of them.  

That is one great film.   Universal was able to take advantage of their fine horror films and associated actors and blend them into the physical comedy and overall humor of Abbott & Costello.     Note that Karloff isn't in this film,  but he is the headliner in the next one.    Universal was  wise not to use him for the Monster,  and instead give him a leading role in the next A & C horror related film.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I loved Bud and Lou when I was a kid, with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein long ranking as my all time favourite film then. I remember, in particular, watching the film while sitting on my father's lap, covering my eyes (though peaking through my fingers) whenever the terrifying music signalling the Wolf Man theme played on the TV screen. It remains my favourite film of the comedy duo. Both of them are in great form, along with the three boogeymen actors playing the monsters, Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Lugosi (his last great hurray in the movies before an irreversible career decline) and Glenn Strange, the latter having his best of three outings as the Monsters here.

My second favourite A & C film is one of their most unusual, The Time of Their Lives, in which Lou Costello and Marjorie Reynolds play ghosts killed during the American Revolution. Costello delivers one of his sweetest, most engaging performances here, having lovely chemistry with Reynolds. The film is noteworthy, as well, because Bud and Lou are not a comedy team in this effort, sharing a limited numbers of scenes together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I loved Bud and Lou when I was a kid, with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein long ranking as my all time favourite film then. I remember, in particular, watching the film while sitting on my father's lap, covering my eyes (though peaking through my fingers) whenever the terrifying music signalling the Wolf Man theme played on the TV screen. It remains my favourite film of the comedy duo. Both of them are in great form, along with the three boogeymen actors playing the monsters, Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Lugosi (his last great hurray in the movies before an irreversible career decline) and Glenn Strange, the latter having his best of three outings as the Monsters here.

My second favourite A & C film is one of their most unusual, The Time of Their Lives, in which Lou Costello and Marjorie Reynolds play ghosts killed during the American Revolution. Costello delivers one of his sweetest, most engaging performances here, having lovely chemistry with Reynolds. The film is noteworthy, as well, because Bud and Lou are not a comedy team in this effort, sharing a limited numbers of scenes together.

Those are my #1 and #2 as well. Both are outstanding films, irrespective of A&C. In addition to Charles Barton's great direction of both, they have terrific musical scores, especially Skinner's MEET FRANKENSTEIN. THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES came out at a time when ghost pictures were a glut on the market and the film did not do well. FRANKY, on the other hand, was a huge success and led to another seven years for the team at Universal. The new owners were mortified because they had visions of high-class dramas bringing in the big bucks. But when their elevated entries flopped the studio remained solvent thanks to Bud & Lou, Francis the Talking Mule, and Ma & Pa Kettle!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, Ray Faiola said:

Those are my #1 and #2 as well. Both are outstanding films, irrespective of A&C. In addition to Charles Barton's great direction of both, they have terrific musical scores, especially Skinner's MEET FRANKENSTEIN. THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES came out at a time when ghost pictures were a glut on the market and the film did not do well. FRANKY, on the other hand, was a huge success and led to another seven years for the team at Universal. The new owners were mortified because they had visions of high-class dramas bringing in the big bucks. But when their elevated entries flopped the studio remained solvent thanks to Bud & Lou, Francis the Talking Mule, and Ma & Pa Kettle!!

Yes, Frank Sinner's musical score, with its distinctive themes for each of the three monsters, is a major contribution to the effectiveness of Meet Frankenstein. The Wolf Man theme, in particular, sacred me as a kid (along with Chaney's Wolf Man performance, of course). A few years later I wrote a fan letter to Chaney, discussing this film among others, and was thrilled when he sent me his autograph on a card. Meet Frankenstein will always be a special film to me.

It wasn't until years later that I read that Lon Chaney subbed for Glenn Strange as the Monster following a mishap in which Strange injured himself during the scene in which the Monster throws Lenore Aubert through a window.