Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Three Hours to Kill" (1954)

HollywoodGolightly

s5g1ft.jpg

Anybody else watching or recording this one? I'm going to record it for later, don't recall watching Dana Andrews in a western before. Looks interesting, even though for all I know it's probably just a B-movie.

*Three Hours to Kill* (1954)

After escaping a lynch mob, an innocent man returns to find out who framed him for murder.

Cast: Dana Andrews, Donna Reed, Dianne Foster, Stephen Elliot Dir: Alfred Werker BW-77 mins, TV-PG

>>I'm going to record it for later, don't recall watching Dana Andrews in a western before.

I'm sure it's just slipped your mind that Dana Andrews was in THE WESTERNER and THE OX BOW INCIDENT.

Plus TULSA and later several A.C. Lyles westerns in the 60s.

THREE HOURS TO KILL was the first of four that he made in a row, the others are SMOKE SIGNAL, STRANGE LADY IN TOWN (as a doctor) and COMANCHE. The latter has played on TCM but the other two I've not seen in decades.

I did watch THREE HOURS TO KILL and found it worthwhile. I needed it to complete my Andrews westerns viewings. No real surprises, except to see Stephen Elliott with hair. At 77 minutes, it moved quickly.

Apparently though it was not enough for Donna Reed. This was typical of the kind of roles Columbia gave her after winning her Oscar and she begged out of her contract after three westerns in a row. Harry Cohn was nice enough to comply.

About 15 years ago, a neighbor dropped by to ask me if I knew of anything her niece could read on the career of Dana Andrews. The niece was a college student who had seen LAURA and BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES in the same week and was now a big fan, only she could not find anything on him in the book store.

That was enough for me, so since I was a long standing fan, and had already compiled my own film list through the years, I typed up a career overview. It only took a couple of hours, and I thought it was a nice gesture to make for someone discovering the classics.

I got back a very nice thank-you letter and a bottle of vodka from my neighbor who thought that I should have submitted my piece for publication. I wish I still had it, but that was several computers ago and I'll have to start from scratch again. I do still have the hand-compiled list of films - I'm a pack-rat and find it hard to throw away something that I started almost 40 years ago.

>>Good luck with that if you go ahead and re-write it, especially if you do submit it for publication.

Oh thank you. I see that tonight I get to add SEALED CARGO to my list of viewed Andrews films. I saw only a portion of it years ago. From the same director as THREE HOURS TO KILL.

• 2 weeks later...