Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The 400 Blows" most intense and touching story of an adolescent

Toto

I recently viewed one of the most touching and intense films about an adolescent on TCM, "The 400 Blows", directed by Francois Truffaut.  It is the story of a boy growing up in Paris who is surrounded by neglectful adults and is eventually drawn into a life of crime.  This film is inspired by Truffaut's own personal life.  The acting of the children feels so authentic and the black and white photography give a real - almost documentary - feeling to the film.  There are both tragic and humorous events in the story.  How different this film is than what had been the usual "Hollywood" style of depicting adolescents with very idealized behavior and unbelievable dialogue.  If you have ever hesitated to try a foreign or black and white film, give "The 400 Blows" a try.  I promise you will be rewarded with an amazing film.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Toto said:

How different this film is than what had been the usual "Hollywood" style

All the European "new wave" directors brought a fresh approach to filmmaking that is historically significant in retrospect. But there are very few I actually liked or enjoyed. BTW:  THE 400 BLOWS '59.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings