Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I usually don't have opinions about the Oscar races, but I recall that year I really wanted Julie Walters to win for BILLY ELLIOT.  I admit I have never seen CHOCOLAT or                                 P O L L O C K*.  I did see ALMOST FAMOUS and did like that one a lot, including both Frances McDormand and Kate Hudson's performances. But I *loved* Julie Walters!

2001 was also the year that Ellen Burstyn was robbed of her Best Actress Oscar for REQUIEM FOR A DREAM.  I mean Julia Roberts wasn't bad in ERIN BROCKOVICH, But really???   

*Yikes! This title was bleeped!

• Thanks 1

I watched the video and Judi didn't seem particularly sour or dour, but she is, after all, an Oscar winning actress. 

Amy Madigan was positively exuberant over Marcia's win, likely assuming it was a favorable omen for Ed to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a particular fan of Judi Dench, but I would take that article with a grain of salt. All  Marcia had to go on was  that Dench, "didn't look happy," so for all we know Dench's feet hurt. Then Marcia uses the interview to humble brag. "However, I’m a big one for effusive congratulations. That’s who I am." 

Yeah.  I wanted Julie Waters for "Billy Elliot," too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm not a particular fan of Judi Dench, but I would take that article with a grain of salt. All  Marcia had to go on was  that Dench, "didn't look happy," so for all we know Dench's feet hurt. Then Marcia uses the interview to humble brag. "However, I’m a big one for effusive congratulations. That’s who I am." 

the way i read it, I saw it as more than just "the look" when she lost, I took it as something was said at the Governor's Ball or word got back to Marcia that Judi was "displeased," actors are a GOSSIPY BUNCH, and for Marcia to drop this tidbit (to me) means that SOMETHING BIGGER than just Judi looking displeased happened.

Also JUDI DENCH ALWAYS LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE IN HER VICINITY JUST CUT AN EXTRA RAUNCHY F@RT, one of the reasons i am not a fan is that she always acts annoyed that she's even there to begin with, it's like well, if thou art so irked to go, maybe just stay in London and catch up on EAST-ENDERS or something....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

11 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I usually don't have opinions about the Oscar races, but I recall that year I really wanted Julie Walters to win for BILLY ELLIOT. 

THE reason JULIE WALTERS did not win for BILLY ELLIOT is that the film (unforgiveably) does not give her character a final scene or provide any resolution to her character, she dissappears from the film and she's not present in the audience at the end. That was my only BIG ISSUE with the film, and honestly I think if her character had been sitting in the audience at the end of the film [or better yet, had a STELLA DALLAS moment, watching secretly in the back row through her tears of pride] , she would probably have won deservedly and outright.

ps- I am not a fan of FRANCES MACDORMAND (yeah, I know, it's just me) but ALMOST FAMOUS is the one film I have seen where I thought she was perfect. I also would have been okay with it if KATE HUDSON had won, she gave a charming performance, even if her career has been like a SCUD missile ever since.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, EricJ said:

...You DID know some know-it-all Disney trivia nut was eventually going to read the header and think:

7147f34c18da214cc3c395147424de90.jpg

😁

Believe it or not, but since 1994, the only DISNEY JOINTS I have seen have been MOANA and FROZEN, both because of my nieces, so I am not familiar with these three enchanting bovages, are they from HUNCHBACK?

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Believe it or not, but since 1994, the only DISNEY JOINTS I have seen have been MOANA and FROZEN, both because of my nieces, so I am not familiar with these three enchanting bovages, are they from HUNCHBACK?

Home on the Range.  At the time (2004), it was thought it would be the last hand-animated feature Disney ever did.

Also stars Roseanne Barr, Jennifer Tilly, Cuba Gooding Jr., Randy Quaid and Steve Buscemi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Also stars Roseanne Barr, Jennifer Tilly, Cuba Gooding Jr., Randy Quaid and Steve Buscemi

Thanks for the FYI!

considering what's happened to BARR, GOODING and RANDY QUAID since then, I wonder if there was a CURSE ON IT!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And seriously though....

Who really cares?

Sepiatone

Any news that has NOTHING to do with:

1. Covid

2. Nazis

3. Race relations in America

gets my attention, it's kind of nice to have good old fashioned gossipy scandals like we used to before ypu-know-who came along and MONOPOLIZED ALL THE OXYGEN IN THE ROOM for four years of HELL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thanks for the FYI!

considering what's happened to BARR, GOODING and RANDY QUAID since then, I wonder if there was a CURSE ON IT!

Or maybe something revealing happened at The Mouse that changed their perspective on things, which wouldn't surprise me the least.

Which reminds me, I need to check my traps around the house.

P.S. what a title for a thread.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Any news that has NOTHING to do with:

1. Covid

2. Nazis

3. Race relations in America

gets my attention, it's kind of nice to have good old fashioned gossipy scandals like we used to before ypu-know-who came along and MONOPOLIZED ALL THE OXYGEN IN THE ROOM for four years of HELL.

Throw in race relations in the movie biz and we're simpatico.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also care.  I really, really care.

It's as worthy of note and discussion as any of the other stuff discussed here.

And of much more interest, to me.  Oscar gossip is everything. 

Others may return to analyzing the value of Gone With the Wind as literature. 

YAWN.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Also JUDI DENCH ALWAYS LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE IN HER VICINITY JUST CUT AN EXTRA RAUNCHY F@RT, one of the reasons i am not a fan is that she always acts annoyed that she's even there to begin with, it's like well, if thou art so irked to go, maybe just stay in London and catch up on EAST-ENDERS or something....

Which Dench is one to talk, she was in Cats after all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
14 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Or maybe something revealing happened at The Mouse that changed their perspective on things, which wouldn't surprise me the least.

THERE'S A REASON that THE DISNEY LOT is referred to as "MAUSCHWITZ"

• Haha 3

My interest in this story only relates to the timing of the earth-shattering revelation.  Why now, 20 years later, is Marcia Gay Harden's impression/interpretation of Dench's reaction surfacing?  

I also found it humorous that some dodgy websites that repeated/reposted this article had their filter/word substitution turned on, and the actress' name was changed to Marcia Homosexual Harden in the title.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
Just now, txfilmfan said:

I also found it humorous that some dodgy websites that repeated/reposted this article had their filter/word substitution turned on, and the actress' name was changed to Marcia Homosexual Harden in the title.

OMG!!!!!!

#DEAD!!!!!!!!

(seriously, I'm going to be laughing at this for a while...)

• Haha 2

the moment in question, JUDI seems neither pleased nor annoyed, she says something to her companion. you can see the disappointment in KATE HUDSON'S face, but she rallies and forms a smile in a second:

• Like 1