Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

On 4/29/2021 at 8:57 PM, kingrat said:

Lorna, at one time you expressed the desire for this thread to go on like the old Blue Denim thread that departed far from the original topic. If so: I never lived in LA or NY or had any connection with the movie world, yet out there in the hinterland/flyover state world I would hear stories about certain movie stars being gay. I can't vouch for the truth of these stories, but I always tried to evaluate the teller as well as the tale. Some of the stories seemed plausible, and some of the stars involved (Tony Perkins, Rock Hudson) have long been outed. Shall I continue?

Sorry I missed when you first posted this. Yes by all means hijack this thread and take it to whatever destination and for whatever cause you want.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Reports are that Marcia Gay Harden will consume 101:

 

The Daily Mail  "Dame Judi Dench eats 100 Maltesers as part of the Captain Tom Moore 100 challenge - in honour of the number of garden laps he did to raise money - while David Beckham does 100 keepy-uppies."

 

 

 

 

42432680-9531499-image-m-77_1619823395699.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

 

Reports are that Marcia Gay Harden will consume 101:

 

The Daily Mail  "Dame Judi Dench eats 100 Maltesers as part of the Captain Tom Moore 100 challenge - in honour of the number of garden laps he did to raise money - while David Beckham does 100 keepy-uppies."

 

 

 

 

42432680-9531499-image-m-77_1619823395699.jpg

I don't know how anyone could eat 100 of these in a sitting.   Malteasers are malted milk balls covered with milk chocolate.  They are a bit like Whoppers in the US, but Malteasers have a slightly airier center and are covered in milk chocolate, whereas Whoppers are covered in a mystery "chocolate-like" substance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE “Whoppers” BUT, I hate how every now and then you get that mutant FREAK whopper without a malt center.

It’s shaped just like the other whoppers and it weighs as much as the other whoppers, but no. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Story #1: According to imdb, in May 1963 Tony Perkins was on location in and around Knoxville, Tennessee shooting a film released in 1965 as The Fool Killer. This very obscure film, said to be in the vein of Night of the Hunter, may be available online but has never been shown on TCM. According to an acquaintance who was living in Knoxville at that time, Perkins made the Greyhound bus station men's room his "home away from home." This person said that he and Perkins exchanged notes and that Perkins went home with him. He said that Perkins was very nervous. I'd say that a movie star far from Hollywood in 1963 cruising a restroom and going home with strangers had every reason to be nervous.

Do I believe it? Yes. The acquaintance was capable of lying about this, but I did believe him at the time. I had no trouble imagining that this gentleman was a frequent visitor to the bus station himself.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

In My opinion, the best actress lineup in 1996 was one of the sorriest in the entire history of the awards, four of the five nominated actresses were- without question (for me at least)-  in supporting performances.

I know you posted somewhere else in this thread that 1996 was the year that your disappointment with the Oscar began to sink in.... It was certainly the year that the Oscars swept the major studios to the curb for the most point and Weinstein and the independents went amuck (even though The Portrait of a Lady was an independent release and didn't receive many nominations.). The only major studio release of 1996 up for Best Picture was Jerry Maguire. 

For the record, the Major studio Oscar-aimed titles that missed for Best Picture (and sometimes every category) were: The People Vs Larry Flynt, Evita, Mother, The Evening Star, In Love and War, The Crucible, Courage Under Fire, The Chamber, City Hall, Ghosts of Mississippi, Surviving Picasso, Bottle Rocket, The Birdcage, and Michael Collins. 

And the screentime percentages for Best Actress that year....

  • Frances McDormand (Fargo) -  27.01%

  • Kristin Scott Thomas (The English Patient) -  29.48%

  • Diane Keaton (Marvin's Room) -  52.46%

  • Brenda Blethyn (Secrets and Lies) -  43.23%

  • Emily Watson (Breaking the Waves) - 58.90%

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I know you posted somewhere else in this thread that 1996 was the year that your disappointment with the Oscar began to sink in.... It was certainly the year that the Oscars swept the major studios to the curb for the most point and Weinstein and the independents went amuck (even though The Portrait of a Lady was an independent release and didn't receive many nominations.). The only major studio release of 1996 up for Best Picture was Jerry Maguire. 

For the record, the Major studio Oscar-aimed titles that missed for Best Picture (and sometimes every category) were: The People Vs Larry Flynt, Evita, Mother, The Evening Star, In Love and War, The Crucible, Courage Under Fire, The Chamber, City Hall, Ghosts of Mississippi, Surviving Picasso, Bottle Rocket, The Birdcage, and Michael Collins. 

And the screentime percentages for Best Actress that year....

  • Frances McDormand (Fargo) -  27.01%

  • Kristin Scott Thomas (The English Patient) -  29.48%

  • Diane Keaton (Marvin's Room) -  52.46%

  • Brenda Blethyn (Secrets and Lies) -  43.23%

  • Emily Watson (Breaking the Waves) - 58.90%

That's a list of fairly obscure films from major studios. I've seen two: The Birdcage (a longer, or seemingly longer, and more sentimental version of La Cage aux Folles) and Michael Collins (a well-done drama about a war little known to most Americans). Mother was passionately hated by some of the few people who saw it. I have never even heard of In Love and War, Courage Under Fire, The Chamber, City Hall, Ghosts of Mississippi, or Surviving Picasso. This would seem to most people like a list of indie films, with the exception of Evita and The Birdcage. Most of these films are less mainstream than The English Patient or even Secrets and Lies.

This was one of those occasions where Kristin Scott Thomas, nominated for Best Actress, had less screen time than Juliette Binoche, nominated for Best Supporting Actress from the same film. I have seen lists on the internet of these examples, more numerous than one might think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kingrat said:

That's a list of fairly obscure films from major studios. I've seen two: The Birdcage (a longer, or seemingly longer, and more sentimental version of La Cage aux Folles) and Michael Collins (a well-done drama about a war little known to most Americans). Mother was passionately hated by some of the few people who saw it. I have never even heard of In Love and War, Courage Under Fire, The Chamber, City Hall, Ghosts of Mississippi, or Surviving Picasso. This would seem to most people like a list of indie films, with the exception of Evita and The Birdcage. Most of these films are less mainstream than The English Patient or even Secrets and Lies.

Ghosts of Mississippi was a painful bit of 90's-"woke" Oscar bait, a courtroom drama for a cold-case Civil Rights murder, with old (and latex-buried) racist baddie James Woods finally getting his, Surviving Picasso was Anthony Hopkins as Picasso, relishing the chance to play Picasso's nasty misogyny, The Chamber was John-Grisham-of-the-Week, which seemed like it was every week during the 90's, City Hall was Al Pacino in the NYC mayor's office during a police scandal, and Courage Under Fire was a court-martial drama that proved that we weren't ready to be interested in Gulf War movies yet.  Nothing to see here.

I don't know who even IMAGINED The Birdcage had "Oscar buzz", beyond the usual wishful suspects, but The Mirror Has Two Faces (Streisand directs again, and nobody cares this time), and Up Close and Personal (a bio-romance of two TV journalists we don't know) didn't quite deliver on their Oscar-bait hopes either.

The fact that it was an "all-Miramax year" seemed like more of a freak occurrence caused by the lack of good non-Oscar-bait movies, and English Patient won by "default" for literally looking the most like An Oscar Movie (the desert and British Army uniforms made it seem all David-Lean-Lawrencey-'n-stuff).  Although, if cooler heads and another week had prevailed, Fargo would probably have taken it today.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ghosts of Mississippi was a painful bit of 90's-"woke" Oscar bait, a courtroom drama for a cold-case Civil Rights murder, with old (and latex-buried) racist baddie James Woods finally getting his, Surviving Picasso was Anthony Hopkins as Picasso, relishing the chance to play Picasso's nasty misogyny, The Chamber was John-Grisham-of-the-Week, which seemed like it was every week during the 90's, City Hall was Al Pacino in the NYC mayor's office during a police scandal, and Courage Under Fire was a court-martial drama that proved that we weren't ready to be interested in Gulf War movies yet.  Nothing to see here.

I don't know who even IMAGINED The Birdcage had "Oscar buzz", beyond the usual wishful suspects, but The Mirror Has Two Faces (Streisand directs again, and nobody cares this time), and Up Close and Personal (a bio-romance of two TV journalists we don't know) didn't quite deliver on their Oscar-bait hopes either.

The fact that it was an "all-Miramax year" seemed like more of a freak occurrence caused by the lack of good non-Oscar-bait movies, and English Patient won by "default" for literally looking the most like An Oscar Movie (the desert and British Army uniforms made it seem all David-Lean-Lawrencey-'n-stuff).  Although, if cooler heads and another week had prevailed, Fargo would probably have taken it today.

The Birdcage did get the cast of the year mention from the Screen Actors Guild, so it was considered a player of sorts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

FEAR THY NEIGHBOR UPDATE

It’s one of those episodes where pretty much everyone involved is terrible.
 

And they’re fighting over a road.

I LOVE THESE THE MOST.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a disputed road episode. I  recall one from a few years ago that was

similar with the Arkansas one and also ended about the same way. Bang, you're dead. While none

of the folks were all that good, the old grump who killed the young man was pretty bad. And wasn't

he some kind of Baptist preacher or something? Probably big on the OT. I wonder just how long the

long way around was. Just a few miles or much more. In the first case, what's the big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 8:24 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I know you posted somewhere else in this thread that 1996 was the year that your disappointment with the Oscar began to sink in.... It was certainly the year that the Oscars swept the major studios to the curb for the most point and Weinstein and the independents went amuck (even though The Portrait of a Lady was an independent release and didn't receive many nominations.). The only major studio release of 1996 up for Best Picture was Jerry Maguire. 

For the record, the Major studio Oscar-aimed titles that missed for Best Picture (and sometimes every category) were: The People Vs Larry Flynt, Evita, Mother, The Evening Star, In Love and War, The Crucible, Courage Under Fire, The Chamber, City Hall, Ghosts of Mississippi, Surviving Picasso, Bottle Rocket, The Birdcage, and Michael Collins. 

And the screentime percentages for Best Actress that year....

  • Frances McDormand (Fargo) -  27.01%

  • Kristin Scott Thomas (The English Patient) -  29.48%

  • Diane Keaton (Marvin's Room) -  52.46%

  • Brenda Blethyn (Secrets and Lies) -  43.23%

  • Emily Watson (Breaking the Waves) - 58.90%

I somehow missed this post!

Thank you, the only true lead in the 1996 race is EMILY WATSON in BREAKING THE WAVES, which was an eenty teenty downright 8MM looking film.

out of all of them, the most clearly supporting was the winner, I think something like 45 minutes go by before FRANCES MACDORMAND even shows up in FARGO; I was also a bit surprised by how BRENDA BLETHYN takes a back seat to her son's character (who I recall thinking was the film's TRUE lead) in SECRETS AND LIES.

And I'm genuinely STUNNED DIANE KEATON is even in slightly over half of MERYL'S...er, I mean MARVIN'S ROOM. at the time, I was relieved to AT LEAST see A NAME ACTRESS in the race (this was before FRANCES went on to win TWO MORE), but KEATON'S nod for that movie would be on my list of the 10 most do HUH now? OUT-OF-LEFT FIELD nominations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a disputed road episode. I  recall one from a few years ago that was

similar with the Arkansas one and also ended about the same way. Bang, you're dead. While none

of the folks were all that good, the old grump who killed the young man was pretty bad. And wasn't

he some kind of Baptist preacher or something? Probably big on the OT. I wonder just how long the

long way around was. Just a few miles or much more. In the first case, what's the big deal.

AND THEN IN THE END, GUESS WHAT?

(SPOILER)

IN ORDER TO SELL THE HOUSE THE WIDOW HAS TO AGREE TO OPEN UP THE ****ING ROAD FOR PUBLIC ACCESS.

I know I was supposed to be sympathetic to her because of what she went through and all, but I got a definite THIS LAND IS MY LAND, IT ISN'T YOUR LAND vibe with her, like she and her husband shut down the road for the same reason a dog licks himself- pure enjoyment.

also, WHEN BUYING A HOUSE ANYWHERE, DO DUE DILIGENCE AND RESEARCH THIS STUFF!!!!

also taking a toddler out on a TRACTOR and an ATV and then playing a game of CHICKEN with a DISGRUNTLED VIETNAM VETERAN charging at you on a two lane road while you are driving the tractor AND YOU HAVE YOUR TODDLER IN YOUR LAP??!!?

Move over JOAN CRAWFORD, we gotta MOTHER OF THE YEAR contender right here.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

NEW FEAR THY NEIGHBOR!!!!

its SET IN ARKANSAS AND INVOLVES  MOBILE METH LABS!!!!!!!!!

🌈💥🔥🌈🔥🤗🤗🤗

 

It turned out to be another access/right of way story. Always end badly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

FEAR THY NEIGHBOR UPDATE

It’s one of those episodes where pretty much everyone involved is terrible.
 

And they’re fighting over a road.

I LOVE THESE THE MOST.

I know. I wasn't rooting for either side.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 1:01 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I LOVE “Whoppers” BUT, I hate how every now and then you get that mutant FREAK whopper without a malt center.

It’s shaped just like the other whoppers and it weighs as much as the other whoppers, but no. 

What's inside?? Hollow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, kingrat said:

Story #1: According to imdb, in May 1963 Tony Perkins was on location in and around Knoxville, Tennessee shooting a film released in 1965 as The Fool Killer. This very obscure film, said to be in the vein of Night of the Hunter, may be available online but has never been shown on TCM. According to an acquaintance who was living in Knoxville at that time, Perkins made the Greyhound bus station men's room his "home away from home." This person said that he and Perkins exchanged notes and that Perkins went home with him. He said that Perkins was very nervous. I'd say that a movie star far from Hollywood in 1963 cruising a restroom and going home with strangers had every reason to be nervous.

Do I believe it? Yes. The acquaintance was capable of lying about this, but I did believe him at the time. I had no trouble imagining that this gentleman was a frequent visitor to the bus station himself.

Knowing what I've read about Perkins, it would not surprise me...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a disputed road episode. I  recall one from a few years ago that was

similar with the Arkansas one and also ended about the same way. Bang, you're dead. While none

of the folks were all that good, the old grump who killed the young man was pretty bad. And wasn't

he some kind of Baptist preacher or something? Probably big on the OT. I wonder just how long the

long way around was. Just a few miles or much more. In the first case, what's the big deal.

I think there have been several right of way episodes. I remember another one with an old woman..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I somehow missed this post!

Thank you, the only true lead in the 1996 race is EMILY WATSON in BREAKING THE WAVES, which was an eenty teenty downright 8MM looking film.

out of all of them, the most clearly supporting was the winner, I think something like 45 minutes go by before FRANCES MACDORMAND even shows up in FARGO; I was also a bit surprised by how BRENDA BLETHYN takes a back seat to her son's character (who I recall thinking was the film's TRUE lead) in SECRETS AND LIES.

And I'm genuinely STUNNED DIANE KEATON is even in slightly over half of MERYL'S...er, I mean MARVIN'S ROOM. at the time, I was relieved to AT LEAST see A NAME ACTRESS in the race (this was before FRANCES went on to win TWO MORE), but KEATON'S nod for that movie would be on my list of the 10 most do HUH now? OUT-OF-LEFT FIELD nominations.

I'd forgotten about Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves. I saw that on tv and she was great. A movie one doesn't forget........(even if it was probably edited)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'd forgotten about Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves. I saw that on tv and she was great. A movie one doesn't forget........(even if it was probably edited)

SHE GOT one (or two?) more nominations and then it seems like she sort of disappeared, although I don't keep up with modern film and tv so maybe she' done more stuff than I am thinking of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hibi said:

What's inside?? Hollow?

yeah, it's just a hollow chocolate ball; OR sometimes it's a cruddy malted milk ball that is shrunken and doesn't taste right

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It turned out to be another access/right of way story. Always end badly.

I KNOW RIGHT? EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY A HOUSE THAT  HAS ANY SORT OF AMBIGUITY ABOUT PROPERTY OR ROAD RIGHTS, JUST WALK THE HELL AWAY. My first clue something was up was when the lady said they moved WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out to the country because of "ALL THE NOISE AND TRAFFIC IN TOWN,..."

UM...in ARKANSAS?!

I also enjoyed how they got some ridiculously HOT MALE MODEL TYPE with long blonde hair and POUTY LIPS to play her deceased husband. One of the things I enjoy about FEAR THY NEIGHBOR is how sometimes the casting is perfect, but every now and then they'll get inexplicably HOT ACTORS to play parts in the re-enacted bits AND THEN THEY'LL show a picture of the actual people involved at the end and damn, it's like they got BRAD PITT to stand in for STEVE BUSCEMI

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SHE GOT one (or two?) more nominations and then it seems like she sort of disappeared, although I don't keep up with modern film and tv so maybe she' done more stuff than I am thinking of.

Yeah, it seems like she's dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe she's doing work in England....

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I KNOW RIGHT? EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY A HOUSE THAT  HAS ANY SORT OF AMBIGUITY ABOUT PROPERTY OR ROAD RIGHTS, JUST WALK THE HELL AWAY. My first clue something was up was when the lady said they moved WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out to the country because of "ALL THE NOISE AND TRAFFIC IN TOWN,..."

UM...in ARKANSAS?!

I also enjoyed how they got some ridiculously HOT MALE MODEL TYPE with long blonde hair and POUTY LIPS to play her deceased husband. One of the things I enjoy about FEAR THY NEIGHBOR is how sometimes the casting is perfect, but every now and then they'll get inexplicably HOT ACTORS to play parts in the re-enacted bits AND THEN THEY'LL show a picture of the actual people involved at the end and damn, it's like they got BRAD PITT to stand in for STEVE BUSCEMI

And she said to get away from neighbors too. That was a tip off, they wouldn't be good neighbors on this show. LOL.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...