Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND THEN IN THE END, GUESS WHAT?

(SPOILER)

IN ORDER TO SELL THE HOUSE THE WIDOW HAS TO AGREE TO OPEN UP THE ****ING ROAD FOR PUBLIC ACCESS.

I know I was supposed to be sympathetic to her because of what she went through and all, but I got a definite THIS LAND IS MY LAND, IT ISN'T YOUR LAND vibe with her, like she and her husband shut down the road for the same reason a dog licks himself- pure enjoyment.

also, WHEN BUYING A HOUSE ANYWHERE, DO DUE DILIGENCE AND RESEARCH THIS STUFF!!!!

also taking a toddler out on a TRACTOR and an ATV and then playing a game of CHICKEN with a DISGRUNTLED VIETNAM VETERAN charging at you on a two lane road while you are driving the tractor AND YOU HAVE YOUR TODDLER IN YOUR LAP??!!?

Move over JOAN CRAWFORD, we gotta MOTHER OF THE YEAR contender right here.

LOL. Yeah, she seemed a bit too entitled. I didnt like her from the start. And the kids name is JENKINS!!!! WHO the hell names their kid JENKINS?????? And they must've said the name 25 times in the episode. I almost bailed!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Yeah, she seemed a bit too entitled. I didnt like her from the start. And the kids name is JENKINS!!!! WHO the hell names their kid JENKINS?????? And they must've said the name 25 times in the episode. I almost bailed!

She was done so wrong by the hair, make up and lighting people. God they filmed her interview with some highly unflattering light and angles 

Her pores were ENORMOUS. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SHE GOT one (or two?) more nominations and then it seems like she sort of disappeared, although I don't keep up with modern film and tv so maybe she' done more stuff than I am thinking of.

Emily Watson became a sort of modern day character actress after her two star turns in the late 90s. Her roles are often smaller now.... but she did manage an Emmy nomination in 2019 for an HBO miniseries even more dour than Breaking the Waves..... Chernobyl (ironically, Stellan Sarsgaard, her husband from Breaking the Waves, was in Chernobyl as well).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I somehow missed this post!

Thank you, the only true lead in the 1996 race is EMILY WATSON in BREAKING THE WAVES, which was an eenty teenty downright 8MM looking film.

out of all of them, the most clearly supporting was the winner, I think something like 45 minutes go by before FRANCES MACDORMAND even shows up in FARGO; I was also a bit surprised by how BRENDA BLETHYN takes a back seat to her son's character (who I recall thinking was the film's TRUE lead) in SECRETS AND LIES.

And I'm genuinely STUNNED DIANE KEATON is even in slightly over half of MERYL'S...er, I mean MARVIN'S ROOM. at the time, I was relieved to AT LEAST see A NAME ACTRESS in the race (this was before FRANCES went on to win TWO MORE), but KEATON'S nod for that movie would be on my list of the 10 most do HUH now? OUT-OF-LEFT FIELD nominations.

I think that Diane surged past Meryl for three reasons: 1. Her character was more sympathetic; 2. She had the big scene (the monologue about the ill fate of her onetime boyfriend and how she doesn't feel that her life was misspent)  3. The First Wives Club was a HUGE hit that year (sold more tickets than any Meryl film between Out of Africa and The Devil Wears Prada) and gave her an increased air of relevance.

That said, Diane didn't beat just Meryl for that last nod, she also surged past  the industry favored Debbie Reynolds (Mother) whose absence rankled many in Hollywood at the time, the critically favored Courtney Love (People Vs Larry Flynt),  the general populace favored Madonna (Evita), among other names.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ALSO HAVE TO SAY I'm a bit surprised that BRENDA BLETHYN didn't go on one of those tears that BRITISH ACTRESSES sometimes do when they are nominated a handful of times early on and have HOT STREAK.

she got one more, somewhat controversial, nomination for LITTLE VOICE (it's an OUT-THERE performance, but I like it) and then it seems as if she cooled off too...she was in the GAWDAWFUL PRIDE AND PREJUDICE redux of 2005 where everyone looks like THE WALKING DEAD (it's all natural light and no make-up, YIKES!)

I remember she looked fabulous THE YEAR she was up for LITTLE VOICE

See the source image

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I think that Diane surged past Meryl for three reasons: 1. Her character was more sympathetic; 2. She had the big scene (the monologue about the ill fate of her onetime boyfriend and how she doesn't feel that her life was misspent)  3. The First Wives Club was a HUGE hit that year (sold more tickets than any Meryl film between Out of Africa and The Devil Wears Prada) and gave her an increased air of relevance.

That said, Diane didn't beat just Meryl for that last nod, she also surged past  the industry favored Debbie Reynolds (Mother) whose absence rankled many in Hollywood at the time, the critically favored Courtney Love (People Vs Larry Flynt),  the general populace favored Madonna (Evita), among other names.

MADONNA was never going to be nominated and will never be nominated (even for songwriting.)

people in HOLLYWOOD HATE MADONNA.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember GOLDIE HAWN got some buzz for FIRST WIVES and EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU that year too.

it wasn't a bad year for actresses, but a lot of actresses were very good in unconventional parts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brenda Blethyn..Brenda Fricker..Pauline Collins.....I can't keep them sorted out.

Comments made me think of Emily Lloyd, who was going to be the next promising young woman, but I think was derailed with some mental health issues.    I thought she was very good in "In Country."

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I think that Diane surged past Meryl for three reasons: 1. Her character was more sympathetic; 2. She had the big scene (the monologue about the ill fate of her onetime boyfriend and how she doesn't feel that her life was misspent)  3. The First Wives Club was a HUGE hit that year (sold more tickets than any Meryl film between Out of Africa and The Devil Wears Prada) and gave her an increased air of relevance.

That said, Diane didn't beat just Meryl for that last nod, she also surged past  the industry favored Debbie Reynolds (Mother) whose absence rankled many in Hollywood at the time, the critically favored Courtney Love (People Vs Larry Flynt),  the general populace favored Madonna (Evita), among other names.

Yes, I remember there was a lot of talk of Debbie getting shut out for that fifth slot. Afer seeing the film, I could see Diane getting the nomination. I think Larry Flynt lost out on a lot of nominations due to feminists who spoke out against the film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Brenda Blethyn..Brenda Fricker..Pauline Collins.....I can't keep them sorted out.

Comments made me think of Emily Lloyd, who was going to be the next promising young woman, but I think was derailed with some mental health issues.    I thought she was very good in "In Country."

 

Yeah, they run together for me too. Similar types. Yeah, she started out gangbusters (Lloyd) then fell off the map.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALSO HAVE TO SAY I'm a bit surprised that BRENDA BLETHYN didn't go on one of those tears that BRITISH ACTRESSES sometimes do when they are nominated a handful of times early on and have HOT STREAK.

she got one more, somewhat controversial, nomination for LITTLE VOICE (it's an OUT-THERE performance, but I like it) and then it seems as if she cooled off too...she was in the GAWDAWFUL PRIDE AND PREJUDICE redux of 2005 where everyone looks like THE WALKING DEAD (it's all natural light and no make-up, YIKES!)

I remember she looked fabulous THE YEAR she was up for LITTLE VOICE

See the source image

She did win the Globe for Secrets and Lies......

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND THEN IN THE END, GUESS WHAT?

(SPOILER)

IN ORDER TO SELL THE HOUSE THE WIDOW HAS TO AGREE TO OPEN UP THE ****ING ROAD FOR PUBLIC ACCESS.

I know I was supposed to be sympathetic to her because of what she went through and all, but I got a definite THIS LAND IS MY LAND, IT ISN'T YOUR LAND vibe with her, like she and her husband shut down the road for the same reason a dog licks himself- pure enjoyment.

also, WHEN BUYING A HOUSE ANYWHERE, DO DUE DILIGENCE AND RESEARCH THIS STUFF!!!!

also taking a toddler out on a TRACTOR and an ATV and then playing a game of CHICKEN with a DISGRUNTLED VIETNAM VETERAN charging at you on a two lane road while you are driving the tractor AND YOU HAVE YOUR TODDLER IN YOUR LAP??!!?

Move over JOAN CRAWFORD, we gotta MOTHER OF THE YEAR contender right here.

Yep, all that back and forth for nothing. I thought they originally put it up to stop some of the meth

traffic that went on on the road. Then maybe they decided to push it a bit. It's hard to tell without being

there to see exactly what the actual layout was. I guess see got over hubby's death as she remarried.

I always like the opening narration to every episode--Joe and Jill Numbnutz were looking for a quiet

place to enjoy life and raise their kids. And then they end up dead or in prison. I like episodes without

a lot of step kids and step parents. They can get too confusing. Now who are they related to again.

 

I never liked Whoppers that much, but I would accept a challenge to eat 100 Mounds bars at one sitting,

though it might be a long sitting. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2021 at 8:50 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

also also, I have faith that one of these days, we are going to get A FULLER, MORE IN-DEPTH STORY about WEINSTEIN and THE ACADEMY AWARDS and just how far some of the recipients (coughcoughespeciallyin the best actress category) were willing to go for the gold, no matter what kind of PR SPIN they are still able to put out there (coughcoughGwyneth)

That could REALLY be the end of the Oscars if people found out just how down and dirty things have been since the 1990s.

I am a bit of a cynical sort when it comes to scandals coming to light. When Harvey's business hit the fan in 2017 it might have crossed my mind, but it seems clearer now that the only reason he was taken down was because he had outlived his usefulness so to speak. His would-be hopefuls for the Oscars in 2015 and 2016 received nominations, but only one minor actual win (Ennio Morrocone's musical score for The Hateful Eight). Reports kept coming in that Weinstein was reediting movies on his own, causing some filmmakers to branch away from the company.  His company was (even before the revelation) in failing financial shape. So he was taken down for his actions right when his empire was already crumbling. Convenient, but hardly the defining moment it could have been if he was busted 15 or 20 years earlier. Plus, most of the women who did speak out against him, Ashley Judd, Mira Sorvino, Annabella Sciorra, Daryl Hannah, Uma Thurman, Gweneth Paltrow, Kate Beckinsdale, Anne Heche, Rose McGowan, Sarah Polley, Rosanna Arquette, Sean Young, Salma Hayek, did not see their broken careers revived at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think there have been several right of way episodes. I remember another one with an old woman..

I'm sure there have been. I always like those episodes with a property line dispute and then one

neighbor or both build some kind of huge ugly fence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'm sure there have been. I always like those episodes with a property line dispute and then one

neighbor or both build some kind of huge ugly fence. 

My favorite episodes of the ones where people lose their already tenuous tether to reality and fail to see how ridiculously petty they are being to the point where they forfeit their life or well-being over what is ultimately some minor grievance. 
 

I, for one, CANT WAIT for the YVONNE CRIDDLE episode of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My favorite episodes of the ones where people lose their already tenuous tether to reality and fail to see how ridiculously petty they are being to the point where they forfeit their life or well-being over what is ultimately some minor grievance. 
 

I, for one, CANT WAIT for the YVONNE CRIDDLE episode of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR

 

Funny, but was that Little Richard in drag? I remember the original People's Court with Judge Wapner

and your friendly bailiff Rusty. It was pretty tame compared with the later judge shows. Sadly, the

picayune origins of these deadly situations is partly what makes FTN so entertaining. I'm going to revise

my fence comments. While the fences are usually big and ugly they never seem to be well built and

considered so that they totally block out the neighbors. They always seem to be a bit lacking, maybe on

purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My favorite episodes of the ones where people lose their already tenuous tether to reality and fail to see how ridiculously petty they are being to the point where they forfeit their life or well-being over what is ultimately some minor grievance. 
 

I, for one, CANT WAIT for the YVONNE CRIDDLE episode of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR

 

I know. Some of the conflicts are over serious issues; others are minor that get blown all out of proportion in the feuding process. Not worth losing your life over or going to jail.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...