Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

as for why Marcia is bringing this up now, I don't know. I know GLENN CLOSE recently made some news when she mentioned how terrible she thought it was that FERNANDA MONTENEGRO (sp?) lost BEST ACTRESS to PRINCESS GWYNNIEKINS ca. 1998.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I also found it humorous that some dodgy websites that repeated/reposted this article had their filter/word substitution turned on, and the actress' name was changed to Marcia Homosexual Harden in the title.

I'd love to see their obit on Dick Enberg.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Believe it or not, but since 1994, the only DISNEY JOINTS I have seen have been MOANA and FROZEN, both because of my nieces, so I am not familiar with these three enchanting bovages, are they from HUNCHBACK?

Judi Dench plays one of the three cows from Home on the Range (2004), which isn't as bad as its reputation has it, but is NOT one of the first 00's-10's ones I'd recommend to someone whose childhood was taken hostage by Lion King.  ("Treasure Planet", "Wreck-It Ralph" and "Meet the Robinsons", yes, but...)

• Thanks 1

one of the (many) bad results of turning the supporting awards into a CONSOLATION PRIZE/CAREER ACHIEVEMENT award is that said winners often don't see their wins in the supporting category as "legit" or good enough, they then want to go and "win the big one outright."

For example, I like MICHAEL CAINE very very much, but I recall when he was nominated for BEST ACTOR for THE QUIET AMERICAN in 2002 (after he'd won TWO supporting awards and they turned the 1999 ceremony into a tribute to him) he did a lot of interviews where he said he didn't consider the two supporting Oscars good enough and wanted to win "the big one" this time.

it's the only time I can recall being annoyed with MICHAEL CAINE, and I've seen THE SWARM and JAWS THE REVENGE.

I'd bet you anything JUDI DENCH doesn't consider her SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE Oscar a "real" win and wants like anything to get the prize for a film where she actually has more than eight lines and seven minutes of screentime.

"Oi, Harvey!  I thought you said it was in the bag!"

...No, no, that was Kevin Spacey, from The Shipping News (2001). 😄

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the moment in question, JUDI seems neither pleased nor annoyed, she says something to her companion. you can see the disappointment in KATE HUDSON'S face, but she rallies and forms a smile in a second:

How undignified to accept the award from Nicholas Cage!

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

as for why Marcia is bringing this up now, I don't know. I know GLENN CLOSE recently made some news when she mentioned how terrible she thought it was that FERNANDA MONTENEGRO (sp?) lost BEST ACTRESS to PRINCESS GWYNNIEKINS ca. 1998.

I concur with Glenn Close. How unjust is it that Close does not have an Oscar, but Princess Gywneth does? Gywneth is so full of herself, quite insufferable if you ask me.

I am here for this thread, though I don't particularly feel one way or the other about Judi Dench.  I would have been at home in one of those 1940s-1950s Women's clubs, a la Lucy and Ethel's Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League club (that typically met on Tuesdays, never on Thursdays, but occasionally on Fridays.  Wednesday afternoon just wasn't convenient for club meetings) which is disguised as a time for the women to play Bridge or Canasta, but in reality is just a front for gossiping about people they know who aren't at the "meeting." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

I always thought it was bizarre how Barbara Stanwyck had to accept her Lifetime Achievement Oscar from John Travolta, unless the two of them had some sort of friendship I didn't know about.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

he wasn't the one who was supposed to give it, the BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR from the previous year was the one who was supposed to do it, but I'm guessing something came up. (I;m old and I can't recall who that would have been.)

EDIT: I LOOKED IT UP AND IRONY OF IRONIES, IT WAS MICHAEL CAINE!!!!!!

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I always thought it was bizarre how Barbara Stanwyck had to accept her Lifetime Achievement Oscar from John Travolta, unless the two of them had some sort of friendship I didn't know about.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(at least he didn't refer to her as 'ADELE DAZEEM')

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

he wasn't the one who was supposed to give it, the BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR from the previous year was the one who was supposed to do it, but I'm guessing something came up. (I;m old and I can't recall who that would have been.)

It looks like the previous Best Supporting Actor from 1999 was the aforementioned Michael Caine.  I guess he really took the second Best Supporting Actor win as an affront to his sensibilities. 

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(at least he didn't refer to her as 'ADELE DAZEEM')

Yes. He was more eloquent then.  He did at least provide Barbara with a dignified introduction.  Maybe if friend, William Holden, hadn't died a few months prior, he would have presented the award.  Perhaps Travolta was a last minute replacement... but I feel like someone else (obviously) would have been better.

• Thanks 1

It looks like the previous Best Supporting Actor from 1999 was the aforementioned Michael Caine.  I guess he really took the second Best Supporting Actor win as an affront to his sensibilities. 

Either that or he was off filming BLAME IT ON RIO 2.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I concur with Glenn Close. How unjust is it that Close does not have an Oscar, but Princess Gywneth does? Gywneth is so full of herself, quite insufferable if you ask me.

I am here for this thread, though I don't particularly feel one way or the other about Judi Dench.  I would have been at home in one of those 1940s-1950s Women's clubs, a la Lucy and Ethel's Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League club (that typically met on Tuesdays, never on Thursdays, but occasionally on Fridays.  Wednesday afternoon just wasn't convenient for club meetings) which is disguised as a time for the women to play Bridge or Canasta, but in reality is just a front for gossiping about people they know who aren't at the "meeting." 

I also agree with Glenn Close - I've only seen Central Station once, but can still remember it vividly.   I also think it's a shame Glenn Close hasn't received an Oscar yet.   Paltrow has twirled off into some world of her own.

Fernanda Montenegro read a poem as part of the 2016 Rio Olympics opening ceremony.  She was dubbed into English by Judi Dench!

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Either that or he was off filming BLAME IT ON RIO 2.

Lol! 

Re: Travolta and Stanwyck. Maybe if Stanwyck''s friend, William Holden, hadn't died a few months prior, he would have presented the award.  Perhaps Travolta was a last minute replacement... but I feel like one of Barbara's contemporaries would have been better, or at least someone she'd worked with prior.  In the You Tube video of Barbara's acceptance speech, there is this woman in the audience wearing an enormous, cream-colored ruffle monstrosity who looks completely put out by having to stand up for Stanwyck's ovation.  To her, I want to say, "girl, you are lucky to even be breathing the same air as Ms. Stanwyck.  Get a grip!" 

• Haha 1
Just now, txfilmfan said:

I also agree with Glenn Close - I've only seen Central Station once, but can still remember it vividly.   I also think it's a shame Glenn Close hasn't received an Oscar yet.   Paltrow has twirled off into some world of her own.

Fernanda Montenegro read a poem as part of the 2016 Rio Olympics opening ceremony.  She was dubbed into English by Judi Dench!

Paltrow's blog is very aptly titled, Goop.  Which btw, Gwynnie, "Goop" is a very off-putting name for any type of product/idea/etc. that you might be shilling. 

I thought for sure Glenn was going to win during her last go-around with the Oscar, until Olivia Coleman popped up and stole it from her.

• Like 1

Paltrow's blog is very aptly titled, Goop.  Which btw, Gwynnie, "Goop" is a very off-putting name for any type of product/idea/etc. that you might be shilling. 

I thought for sure Glenn was going to win during her last go-around with the Oscar, until Olivia Coleman popped up and stole it from her.

Well, her idea of products to sell is somewhat off-center.  Apparently there are enough people on her wavelength to buy the stuff though, even if her candles do explode sometimes.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/01/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-vagina-scented-candle-exploded.html

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Well, her idea of products to sell is somewhat off-center.  Apparently there are enough people on her wavelength to buy the stuff though, even if her candles do explode sometimes.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/01/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-vagina-scented-candle-exploded.html

Yes. I heard about her nether-region scented candle.  Perhaps the explosion was planned, it really drives home the point about what the candle was supposed to smell like.  I'd like to know (or maybe I don't) how they not only put together the right fragrances to make this candle, but how the testing was done to know what scent needed to be captured.

So weird.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

True! That was also an odd pairing.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EDIT: I LOOKED IT UP AND IRONY OF IRONIES, IT WAS MICHAEL CAINE!!!!!!

LMREO!! Was he off making Jaws 5?????

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes. He was more eloquent then.  He did at least provide Barbara with a dignified introduction.  Maybe if friend, William Holden, hadn't died a few months prior, he would have presented the award.  Perhaps Travolta was a last minute replacement... but I feel like someone else (obviously) would have been better.

Yes, someone from Babs time period. Am sure Holden would have done it had he been alive.

• Like 1
Just now, Hibi said:

Yes, someone from Babs time period. Am sure Holden would have done it had he been alive.

Yes! And plenty of Barbara's co-stars/directors were still alive at that time too: Fred MacMurray, Kirk Douglas, Joel McCrea, Burt Lancaster, Billy Wilder, Dennis Morgan...  There were a lot of other options. I would have even been fine with someone like Jane Fonda, since her father worked with Barbara. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes! And plenty of Barbara's co-stars/directors were still alive at that time too: Fred MacMurray, Kirk Douglas, Joel McCrea, Burt Lancaster, Billy Wilder, Dennis Morgan...  There were a lot of other options. I would have even been fine with someone like Jane Fonda, since her father worked with Barbara. 

Even Lee Majors would've been a better choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We always needed this thread and didn't know it. 

It makes me think of one of my favorite movie lines, spoken by Olympia Dukakis, 

"If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, sit right here by me."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3