Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cinerama Dome Closing?

txfilmfan

• 2 months later...

I grew up in Los Angeles. Born in Hollywood. On Sunset Boulevard, in fact.

I moved away from "La La Land" 30 years ago, but still consider myself a Los Angeleno. I shall always fondly remember and regard my hometown. That said, I never understood why L.A., in general, and Hollywood, in particular, did not preserve historical landmarks.

I was born long after the golden days of The Ambassador Hotel and the Cocoanut Grove. Nonetheless, whenever I entered that 3400 Wilshire Boulevard, to attend conventions, I was always awed by the hotel's elegance, if not entirely aware of its glamorous and notorious history.

I never went into The Brown Derby (located nearby The Ambassador Hotel), a familiar site whenever I trekked to Hollywood from my residence in "The South Bay." After The Brown Derby was demolished, some cretin had the insolence and audacity to name the establishment that replaced it "The Brown Derby Shopping Center."  To see a crummy Brown Derby picture on a storefront marquee along with a listing of Jack in the Box was a disillusioning and depressing sight.

And now you tell me the Cinerama Dome (where I saw its premiere feature It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and, much later, a reissue of 2001: A Space Odyssey) is on the chopping block?

Thomas Wolfe was right.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings