Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warner Knock-Offs


Ray Faiola
 Share

Recommended Posts

With Warner Archive releasing a new restoration of THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX, a very silly notion popped into my head.

Remember how Warners cannibalized their westerns in the mid-late 40's and dressed up Robert Shayne to take the place of Flynn & Cagney in two-reelers with stock footage? Imagine Robert Shayne and Ann Doran as Essex and Elizabeth in a B&W two-reeler adapted from the 1939 classic!

 

doran-shayne.jpg

I can hear Jack Warner now: "Get me Hollings' head!!"

Too bad Warners only knocked-off their westerns. Any suggestions for other re-tread two-reelers?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

With Warner Archive releasing a new restoration of THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX, a very silly notion popped into my head.

 

Ray, I see Amazon advertising a 2017 Warners Archive DVD release of the film. Would you know if this is the restoration (of which I had heard nothing,so thanks for sharing the news)? Or is this just a re-release of the old 2005 copy on a DVD-R?

The restoration looks beautiful in the clip shown on Amazon. I just want to be sure the restoration was released on DVD, not just Blu ray, before ordering it. I already have the old 2005 DVD copy of the film.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Ray, I see Amazon advertising a 2017 Warners Archive DVD release of the film. Would you know if this is the restoration (of which I had heard nothing,so thanks for sharing the news)? Or is this just a re-release of the old 2005 copy on a DVD-R?

The restoration looks beautiful in the clip shown on Amazon. I just want to be sure the restoration was released on DVD, not just Blu ray, before ordering it. I already have the old 2005 DVD copy of the film.

 

You MIGHT want to make sure that DVD still plays, because lots of people have been complaining about "Warner rot" in DVDs made for WB before they moved their plant to Mexico. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

You MIGHT want to make sure that DVD still plays, because lots of people have been complaining about "Warner rot" in DVDs made for WB before they moved their plant to Mexico. 

Thanks, I read about that. I watched E & E two years ago and it was fine then. I'd be interested in the restoration but am afraid it is another blu ray release only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

With Warner Archive releasing a new restoration of THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX, a very silly notion popped into my head.

Remember how Warners cannibalized their westerns in the mid-late 40's and dressed up Robert Shayne to take the place of Flynn & Cagney in two-reelers with stock footage? Imagine Robert Shayne and Ann Doran as Essex and Elizabeth in a B&W two-reeler adapted from the 1939 classic!

 

doran-shayne.jpg

I can hear Jack Warner now: "Get me Hollings' head!!"

Too bad Warners only knocked-off their westerns. Any suggestions for other re-tread two-reelers?

Lol.  This would have been an interesting low-rent version of E&E.  Errol Flynn, this man is not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...