Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) - Running Time

Hi,

Does anyone know why the TCM version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) has a running time of 159 minutes while the DVD version is 161 minutes.  Just curious as TCM is generally pretty good about running the uncut version of either the theatrical release version of the movies (if the prints survive).  Thanks

12 minutes ago, ClassicMindset said:

Hi,

Does anyone know why the TCM version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) has a running time of 159 minutes while the DVD version is 161 minutes.  Just curious as TCM is generally pretty good about running the uncut version of either the theatrical release version of the movies (if the prints survive).  Thanks

IMDB has it at 3 hr 30 min. 
From wiki; 210 minutes (original cut)
192 minutes (premiere cut)
161 minutes (theatrical cut)
197 minutes (restored cut)

Just now, Moe Howard said:

IMDB has it at 3 hr 30 min. 
From wiki; 210 minutes (original cut)
192 minutes (premiere cut)
161 minutes (theatrical cut)
197 minutes (restored cut)

Much like the Judy Garland version of A Star is Born, the original premiere road show version is considered lost in its complete form.   According to the IMDb "Alternate Versions" minutia, the only version authorized by the Kramer estate is currently the 154 minute version (161 minutes with intermission and exit music).

Perhaps the only difference between the TCM version shown and the DVD is in the music interludes?  I've only seen it 2 or 3 times, and with a movie that has so many scenes and is so long, I'd never know if something is missing on so few viewings.

I did see it at the Cinerama Dome in LA during a TCMFF.  They played the cop radio transmissions during the intermission.  They were played over the lobby PA and even in the bathrooms, in addition to the auditorium.

• Like 1

I can't recall ever seeing a "director's cut" or any added content in a movie I previously enjoyed that I thought was better. (And I'm thinking of Judy's A Star is Born, and Cinema Paradiso, to name two). There are usually very good, and sometimes very obvious, reasons why some scenes were removed. 154 minutes of Mad World is plenty for me. Comedy is very much of it's own time, and this one has long been a nostalgia piece more than anything else.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the picture but I think the general release version is better. The padding that was cut out was completely expendable, especially Winters' monologue about helping a little old lady back home - which gives his mayhem MOTIVE.

The only scene I would restore simply for clarity sake is the phone call with Keaton. And the footage is gone. Only the track remains.

Longer is not funnier. The trims helped the pacing immeasurably. But that's just my opinion.

Of course, I'm delighted that the long version was released on blu-ray because it allowed me to use the rear surround channels to produce a complete soundtrack CD (released by LaLaLa Land Records). The original scoring sessions are, unfortunately, long gone.

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/order_direct.htm#madworld

• Like 1

I,ve Heard (and Read) ..albeit thru the grapevine, twice removed..

That.. ..the "original" cut .. exceeded that (length in time) of Gone With the Wind by head and shoulders..

But .. Due to paramaters (for lack of a initial better word); .. while .. ive basically.. in effect heard. And Read that Mr Kramer Gave "his" Comedic Leviathon Free Reign.. 

Due to .. Paramaters involving run time / release issues and (subsuquent) black tape. ..

He had to subsuquently whittle it Down substantially and (ive heard) actually ended up .. destroying some of the longer cuts ...

• Like 1