Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just emailed TCM not to long ago about something new they could add to their programming.  A showcase called The TCM Drive In.  They could show all kinds of classic movies and stuff.  That would be really neat.  I haven’t gotten a response from them yet though.  They said they were going to respond eventually.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I’m not sure that fits the more sophisticated image that I think TCM tries to cultivate. I have a strong nostalgia for going to the drive-in and still try to attend our last theater nearby once or twice a year. I even have a drive-in speaker and stand rigged up to play those cheesy ads that would play between features. I just don’t think it would be a fit for TCM.

I've always thought of TCM's Friday nights "Underground" series as pretty much what it sounds you're asking for here, Dave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, David Guercio said:

I just emailed TCM not to long ago about something new they could add to their programming.  A showcase called The TCM Drive In.  They could show all kinds of classic movies and stuff.  That would be really neat.  I haven’t gotten a response from them yet though.  They said they were going to respond eventually.

When I read this I thought you were proposing that their program of screening films in theaters should be expanded to drive-ins. An interesting proposal. 

But now I'm reading this to mean packing in a cartoon, coming attractions, age restriction graphics, etc to a double feature similar to Tarantino's Grindhouse. I like it!

• Like 1
On 4/13/2021 at 2:38 PM, David Guercio said:

...Did you actually say "Really neat" in the letter?

I wouldn't wait up nights.  😄

Needs to be more specific as to what "Drive In" features mean.  Does it include a cartoon, shorts, double features, etc.?  Does it mean showing movies typically shown at drive-ins?  These would be movies lower than B movies.

If interested, Tubi (free) has a link to Shout and Full Moon sites and they show a lot of movies that would have been "drive in" type fare.  At least in the late 60's and later.

Yeah, I think it was either STARZ or ENCORE that had a feature like that some years back.  They would show a variety of stuff you wouldn't ordinarily see shown in movie theaters, and much of the same kind of really "low grade" Sci-Fi you see on COMET these days.

Sepiatone

I guess we have different experiences with drive-ins. Our local drive in shows the same stuff that’s running at walk in theaters. Currently the new Godzilla and Birds of Prey.  The drive-ins I haunted growing up would show schlock like Invasion of the B-Girls, but they also ran the latest Bond film or whatever big draw was out at the time.

Yes I did say that it would be really neat in the letter and just in case you guys are kind of a little confused?  I don’t mean we would actually go to a Drive In and see TCM’s Big Screen Classics Series.  What I mean is.  That could actually be a new event for and on TCM itself.  That could actually be the name of the event.  There could be a host and they could show a different classic movie every week.  Like for example.  TCM Spotlight.  The Essentials.  Essentials Jr.  Treasures From The Disney Vault etc and I’m not copying the Disney Channel.  But they used to have an event on Saturday afternoons called The Disney Drive In.  The promo went like this.  All your favorites from yesteryear.  Are at the Disney Drive In.  Saturdays at 1’30pm/12:30c.  That’s what gave me the idea for an event here on TCM.  There you have The TCM Drive In.  With classic movies.

20 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

I guess we have different experiences with drive-ins. Our local drive in shows the same stuff that’s running at walk in theaters. Currently the new Godzilla and Birds of Prey.  The drive-ins I haunted growing up would show schlock like Invasion of the B-Girls, but they also ran the latest Bond film or whatever big draw was out at the time.

To my knowledge, there is only one drive-in theater left in S.C.

17 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Yes I did say that it would be really neat in the letter and just in case you guys are kind of a little confused?  I don’t mean we would actually go to a Drive In and see TCM’s Big Screen Classics Series.  What I mean is.  That could actually be a new event for and on TCM itself.  That could actually be the name of the event.  There could be a host and they could show a different classic movie every week.  Like for example.  TCM Spotlight.  The Essentials.  Essentials Jr.  Treasures From The Disney Vault etc and I’m not copying the Disney Channel.  But they used to have an event on Saturday afternoons called The Disney Drive In.  The promo went like this.  All your favorites from yesteryear.  Are at the Disney Drive In.  Saturdays at 1’30pm/12:30c.  That’s what gave me the idea for an event here on TCM.  There you have The TCM Drive In.  With classic movies.

OK, so how would the TCM Drive-In be any different from what TCM does now?  Show a movie with an introduction by a host, a cartoon, a short feature and then an outro by the host?  Would the movies be any different?

Not relevant, but I recall as a kid, going to see the following triple bill at a drive-in in the 70's. I feel so sad thinking of my mom sitting through this.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

THE UNDERTAKER AND HIS PALS

THE CORPSE GRINDERS