Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Helen McCrory (1968-2021)

jakeem

The British actress Helen McCrory, known for her appearances as the evil Narcissa Malfoy in the Harry Potter movie series, died Friday at the age of 52. Her husband, the Primetime Emmy Award-winning actor Damian Lewis ("Homeland"), announced her death from cancer on Twitter.

"I'm heartbroken to announce that after an heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful and mighty woman that is Helen McCrory has died peacefully at home, surrounded by a wave of love from friends and family," he said. The couple met in 2003 and married four years later. They became the parents of a daughter and a son.

The couple was well respected in acting circles. In 2017, McCrory was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year's Honors List for services to drama. Lewis had been honored with an OBE three years earlier.

Reuters

McCrory portrayed Cherie Blair, the wife of British Prime Minister Tony Blair (Michael Sheen) in the 2006 drama "The Queen." Dame Helen Mirren won an Academy Award as Best Actress for her role as Queen Elizabeth II.

See the source image

McCrory was the original choice to play Bellatrix Lestrange in the 2007 sequel "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." But she was forced to decline because of a pregnancy, and the role went to Helena Bonham Carter. McCrory eventually was offered the role of Bellatrix's sister Narcissa for the final three chapters of the screen series. 

See the source image

McCrory again portrayed Cherie Blair -- opposite Hope Davis as U.S. First Lady Hillary Clinton  --in the 2010 HBO drama "The Special Relationship." The production about the traditionally close connections between the United States and the U.K. also starred Dennis Quaid as President Bill Clinton. Sheen reprised his role as Tony Blair from "The Queen." Both stories were written  by Peter Morgan, who went on to create the Primetime Emmy Award-winning drama series "The Crown."

See the source image

In Martin Scorsese's fanciful 2011 tale "Hugo" -- an homage to the early years of moviemaking -- McCrory portrayed Mama Jeanne, who turned out to be the pioneer French film actress Jehanne D'Alcy (1865-1956).

See the source image

In the 2012 James Bond thriller "Skyfall" -- Daniel Craig's third outing as 007 -- McCrory appeared as the United Kingdom's Home Secretary Clair Dowar, who emerged unscathed during an assassination attempt against M (Dame Judi Dench) at a courtroom proceeding.

Helen McCrory stars as Clair Dowar MP in ''Skyfall'' : PeakyBlinders

From 2013 to 2019, McCrory starred in the television drama "Peaky Blinders" as Aunt Polly, the matriarch of a post-World War I Birmingham youth gang. The BBC production was streamed on Netflix in the United States.

See the source image

During Seasons 1 and 2 of the British/American horror series "Penny Dreadful," McCrory appeared as Evelyn Poole (a.k.a. the spiritualist Madame Kali). There was more to her (and her powers) than anyone could have guessed.

Helen McCrory as Evelyn Poole in Penny Dreadful (season 2, episode 1). -  Photo: Jonathan Hession/SHOWTIME - Pho… | Penny dreadful, Penny dreadful tv  series, Mccrory

One of her final roles was Queen's Counsel Sonia Woodley in the 2020 British miniseries "Quiz," the true story of a man accused of cheating on TV's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." "There's little to no resemblance between her and what I play — apart from the blonde wig," said McCrory, who met the real-life Woodley on the set. "We got the hair! It was modeled on hers."

See the source image

WpCp6n9e_bigger.jpg

I’m devastated to learn of the death of Helen McCrory, an extraordinary actress and a wonderful woman who’s left us far too soon. My deepest condolences to her family, especially her husband and children. Simply heartbreaking news.

RBD2PSof_bigger.jpg

Unbearable and unbelievable that Helen McCrory has gone. A genuine firecracker with an aching vulnerability. A wonderful actor and a wonderful woman. Thoughts with Damian and family. RIP

veBhR6VZ_bigger.jpg

We're devastated to hear that Helen McCrory has died and will miss her terribly. Our thoughts are with her friends and family at this very sad time.

We are devastated to hear of the passing of Helen McCrory, unquestionably one of the great actors of her generation.   Helen had a long and rich association with the National Theatre, including most recently a towering performance as Medea and a definitive Hester Collyer in The Deep Blue Sea.  With her incisive wit and ferocious intelligence, she was one of our most charismatic and distinctive performers. She was also a deeply beloved member of this theatre’s broader community.   All my colleagues join me in wishing her family and friends our deepest condolences. We are shattered, and will all miss her terribly.  Rufus Norris

Helen McCrory smiling as Hester in The Deep Blue Sea smoking a cigarette at the National Theatre.

Great Helen McCrory story from Desert Island Discs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

This is heartbreaking news. I remember her exquisite performance as Nina in The Seagull, at the National Theatre in the 1990s. Judi Dench played Arkadina, but it was McCrory as Nina that one remembers, particularly in her final scene with Konstantin (played by Alan Cox).

helen-mccrory-nina-alan-cox-konstantin-i

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

The British actress Helen McCrory, known for her appearances as the evil Narcissa Malfoy in the Harry Potter movie series, died Friday at the age of 52. Her husband, the Primetime Emmy Award-winning actor Damian Lewis ("Homeland"), announced her death from cancer on Twitter.

"I'm heartbroken to announce that after an heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful and mighty woman that is Helen McCrory has died peacefully at home, surrounded by a wave of love from friends and family," he said. The couple met in 2003 and married four years later. They became the parents of a daughter and a son.

The couple was well respected in acting circles. In 2017, McCrory was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year's Honors List for services to drama. Lewis had been honored with an OBE three years earlier.

Reuters

McCrory portrayed Cherie Blair, the wife of British Prime Minister Tony Blair (Michael Sheen) in the 2006 drama "The Queen." Dame Helen Mirren won an Academy Award as Best Actress for her role as Queen Elizabeth II.

See the source image

McCrory was the original choice to play Bellatrix Lestrange in the 2007 sequel "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." But she was forced to decline because of a pregnancy, and the role went to Helena Bonham Carter. McCrory eventually was offered the role of Bellatrix's sister Narcissa for the final three chapters of the screen series. 

See the source image

McCrory again portrayed Cherie Blair -- opposite Hope Davis as U.S. First Lady Hillary Clinton  --in the 2010 HBO drama "The Special Relationship." The production about the traditionally close connections between the United States and the U.K. also starred Dennis Quaid as President Bill Clinton. Sheen reprised his role as Tony Blair from "The Queen." Both stories were written  by Peter Morgan, who went on to created the Primetime Emmy Award-winning drama series "The Crown."

See the source image

In the 2012 James Bond thriller "Skyfall," McCrory appeared as the United Kingdom's Home Secretary Clair Dowar, who was unscathed during an assassination attempt against M (Dame Judi Dench) at a courtroom proceeding.

Helen McCrory stars as Clair Dowar MP in ''Skyfall'' : PeakyBlinders

From 2013 to 2019, McCrory starred in the television drama "Peaky Blinders" as Aunt Polly, the matriarch of a post-World War I Birmingham youth gang. The BBC production was streamed on Netflix in the United States.

See the source image

WpCp6n9e_bigger.jpg

I’m devastated to learn of the death of Helen McCrory, an extraordinary actress and a wonderful woman who’s left us far too soon. My deepest condolences to her family, especially her husband and children. Simply heartbreaking news.

RBD2PSof_bigger.jpg

Unbearable and unbelievable that Helen McCrory has gone. A genuine firecracker with an aching vulnerability. A wonderful actor and a wonderful woman. Thoughts with Damian and family. RIP

veBhR6VZ_bigger.jpg

We're devastated to hear that Helen McCrory has died and will miss her terribly. Our thoughts are with her friends and family at this very sad time.

We are devastated to hear of the passing of Helen McCrory, unquestionably one of the great actors of her generation.   Helen had a long and rich association with the National Theatre, including most recently a towering performance as Medea and a definitive Hester Collyer in The Deep Blue Sea.  With her incisive wit and ferocious intelligence, she was one of our most charismatic and distinctive performers. She was also a deeply beloved member of this theatre’s broader community.   All my colleagues join me in wishing her family and friends our deepest condolences. We are shattered, and will all miss her terribly.  Rufus Norris

Helen McCrory smiling as Hester in The Deep Blue Sea smoking a cigarette at the National Theatre.

Thatsucks..

Thank You.. For the Memo,.

😓

🙏🕊🌠🌠🌠

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings