Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was this movie? War games, colored armbands. Late 60's or 70's

Moe

I remember a film from the 70's or maybe the late 60's, but don't know the name and can't remember any of the actors.  Classic Hollywood military comedy.

It was not set in battle, but war games. There was a red team and a blue team, defined by colored armbands, and as I recall some guys from one side got ahold of armbands for the other team and went behind the lines to wreak havoc. It had a tone and comedic style that reminds me of The Dirty Dozen, and might have had some of the same actors. I keep thinking Ernest Borgnine played one of the generals, but checking his filmography I don't see anything that rings a bell. 

The only specific thing I remember (vaguely) is they stole a jeep or car of some kind from the other team. 

Sorry this is so vague, but it's a very well-known movie and I hope somebody will know it. 

• Moe changed the title to What was this movie? War games, colored armbands. Late 60's or 70's

I wonder if you might be thinking of the 1976 WWII-themed movie, The Eagle Has Landed

As I recall, some of the plot which primarily consists of a German plot to parachute in a number of soldiers in efforts to kidnap Winston Churchill who's in a small English town at the time and is undertaken during which a war games exercise is being conducted by British and Allied troops in the immediate area. Once parachuting in, the German soldiers then dress as Allied soliders in order to inflitrate into this military exercise and to facilitate the capture of their prey.

(...hope this helps)

Thanks Dargo, but that doesn't sound like it. It was definitely war games featuring all American soldiers (or Allied anyway, not sure) divided into 2 teams, there were no Germans. Unless what I'm remembering is just a part of the movie and there may be actual battle in another part of it, like the way Full Metal Jacket has the boot camp segment followed by actual war. 

I just checked it on YouTube, definitely not the movie I'm looking for. That looks like a serious war film, this was definitely a fun comedy. 

You know, it might actually be part of the Dirty Dozen, I haven't seen it in a long time. Or it could be one of the sequels, which I just discovered. I decided to look up Dirty Dozen on YouTube and see what other suggestions they show, figured the movie I'm looking for might show up. And lo and behold, Ernest Borgnine is a general in the Dirty Dozen movies! I had forgotten that. I think I've narrowed it down now—going in to scour YT for scenes from all of them. 

It is indeed the original Dirty Dozen! Looking at this video (I hope it's ok to post videos here?)

the entire truck full of soldiers swaps out their armbands right at the beginning. And they stole the truck.  Hah!! And here I was looking for a movie "like the Dirty Dozen". Forehead smack!! You can't get any more like it than the real thing. 

Problem solved. Ordering blu-ray to relive this childhood memory. 

Lol I know. First I was disappointed I didn't get the answer the next day, then I was happy just to get a response at all. But really the response is what prompted to me go searching on YouTube, so I must thank Dargo for knocking down the first domino. 

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings