Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name the actor who appeared with these 2 actors (Name the actor and the movies)

MrMagoo

I've been toying with the idea of a new game.

I noticed the other day that Woody Strode appeared in movies with Bing Crosby (STAR SPANGLED RHYTHYM (1942) and Leonardo DiCaprio (THE QUICK AND THE DEAD (1994). A period spanning 52 years.

Who appeared in movies with both Patricia Neal and Tom Cruise? Answer, Paul Newman in HUD and THE COLOR OF MONEY. 

The idea is to name 2 actors who never appeared together but shared a common performer on screen. The further apart in time, the better. 

Bing Crosby never appeared with DiCaprio...nor Neal with Cruise. It could get tedious, but the idea is to name an actor who appeared with 2 other actors in 2 other films. 

It would be very easy to do for movies from the 30's to 50's as the studio era resulted in lots of actors performing together over and over.  That should be avoided. The challenge is to find an actor who transcended Hollywood eras. Another example would be John Wayne and Kathleen Turner. Answer: John Carradine , STAGECOACH and PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED. I think that's pretty cool. 

I try to refer to both female and male performers as "actors". So it could be an actress and an actor....but 2 different films. 

So the quiz would be, "Who appeared in movies with both Bing Crosby and Leonardo DiCaprio." Name the actor and name the movies. See above: Woody Strode.

If this doesn't catch on that's Ok. I'm not sure a variation of it doesn't already exist. My apologies if it does. If anyone wants to participate I'll try to keep it going.

SO HERE IS THE FIRST QUIZ

Who appeared with both Jimmy Stewart and Talia Shire. Name the actor and the films. (I concede there may be more than 1 answer for this one).

Good luck

24 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

SO HERE IS THE FIRST QUIZ

Who appeared with both Jimmy Stewart and Talia Shire. Name the actor and the films. (I concede there may be more than 1 answer for this one).

Good luck

Burgess Meredith (in Our Merry Way with Stewart and Rocky with Shire)

Next:  Irene Dunne and Eddie Murphy

• Like 1

You came through!!!! However I was thinking of Ben Gazzara with ANATOMY OF A MURDER and LOOKING FOR PALLADIN.

As I said, there could be many answers. Lets see how this goes. I'll get to work on your quiz.

• Like 1

It's not easy but I'm going to say Ralph Bellamy in THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937) and TRADING PLACES (1983)

That's exactly the kind of quiz I was thinking of. I think we need to stick with pretty well known actors to start.

Next: Katherine Hepburn and Goldie Hawn

• Like 1

I think what we want to shoot for is 2 actors from different generations. The movies don't necessarily need to be. We want one actor who shared the screen with 2 actors that span the arc of time. It could be an iconic actor in a film at the end of their career and another near the beginning. So the movies don't have to be far apart....but the actors should.

Forgive me for seeming too precise.

Warren Beatty (Hepburn was in Love Affair with Beatty and Hawn was in Shampoo)

(This game is reminiscent of the "Seven Degrees of Paul Newman" game that is way back on page three.  You have to connect an actor to Paul Newman in the fewest number of movies. It'll be interesting how many variations people can come up with here.)

12 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Gene  Kelly  starred  with  Olivia  Newton  John  in  Xanadu  1980   and  with  Rita  Hayworth  in  Cover  Girl  1944  next:  Martha  Scott  and  Kay  Lenz

Welcome Cineman!

21 minutes ago, Peebs said:

William Holden as in Our Town with Martha Scott and Breezy with Kay Lenz

Next:  Kevin Costner and Ava Gardner

Walter Matthau. With Gardner in 1964's EARTHQUAKE and with Costner in 1991's JFK.

Next: Alec Guinness and Winona Ryder

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Harrison  Ford  starred  with  Alec  Guinness  in  Star  Wars,  Episode  IV  A  New  Hope  in  1977  and  with  Winona  Ryder  in  Sabrina  1995.  next:  Margaret  Sullavan  and  Katharine  Ross

You are right....even as I was looking for Jean Simmons. She appeared with Guinness  in GREAT EXPECTATIONS (1946) and Ryder was HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT (1995).

This game opens many windows to different actors careers. Interesting.

I will get to work on your quiz. 

Good one!

Jimmy Stewart appeared in 1938 with Sullavan in THE SHOPWORN ANGEL  and with Ross in 1965's SHENANDOAH. 

Poor Margaret Sullavan. She was married to Stewart's best friend, Henry Fonda and later to Leyland Hayward with whom she had 3 children....one of whom was Brooke Hayward who wrote a not very flattering biography that diminished Margaret Sullavan in many people's eye. 

Next: Peter Sellers and Peter Dinklage.

4 hours ago, Peebs said:

Next:  Kevin Costner and Ava Gardner

(I was thinking Burt Lancaster in Field of Dreams and The Killers.  Walter Matthau was a clever connection!)

Peter O'Toole was in What's New Pussycat with Peter Sellers and Lassie (2000) with Peter Dinklage

Next: Mikhail Baryshnikov  and  Jerry Mathers

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Peebs said:

(I was thinking Burt Lancaster in Field of Dreams and The Killers.  Walter Matthau was a clever connection!)

Peter O'Toole was in What's New Pussycat with Peter Sellers and Lassie (2000) with Peter Dinklage

Next: Mikhail Baryshnikov  and  Jerry Mathers

But, but, but......James Earl Jones was in STRANGELOVE with Sellers and THE ANGRIEST MAN IN BROOKLYN with Dinklage. You are also right about Lancaster though. A great connection.

Now on to yours. I did not know Jerry Mathers (The Beaver, right?) ever made a movie. Give me a minute.

10 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

But, but, but......James Earl Jones was in STRANGELOVE with Sellers and THE ANGRIEST MAN IN BROOKLYN with Dinklage. You are also right about Lancaster though. A great connection.

Now on to yours. I did not know Jerry Mathers (The Beaver, right?) ever made a movie. Give me a minute.

You don't appreciate the symmetry of the three Peters?   Sellers, Dinklage, and O'Toole.  

Think a very young (pre-Beaver) Jerry Mathers in a black comedy.

• Confused 1

Good one!

Shirley MacLaine

She appeared with Mathers in 1955 in THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY and with Baryshnikov in 1977's THE TURNING POINT.

I don't remember ever seeing Mathers in a film....though I vaguely recall THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY.

• Like 1

Harvey Keitel was in Saturn 3 (1980) with Kirk Douglas and Youth (2015) with Paul Dano 

(Good one, I just happened to have seen Saturn 3 not too long ago.  Weird movie.)

Next:  Carol Burnett and John Gielgud

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Harvey Keitel was in Saturn 3 (1980) with Kirk Douglas and Youth (2015) with Paul Dano 

(Good one, I just happened to have seen Saturn 3 not too long ago.  Weird movie.)

I was looking for Gena Rowlands who appeared with Douglas in 1962's LONELY ARE THE BRAVE and with Dano in TAKING LIVES 2004. 

This game has lots of options.

I'll look into yours.

27 minutes ago, Peebs said:

How does Albert Finney work?

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS 1974 with Gielgud and ANNIE with Burnett in 1982.

Whew!

Let's try this one.

Next: Laurence Olivier and Brad Pitt

I'm going to go out on a limb that there's more than one. I have one....but won't be surprised if you come up with a different one.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings