Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar Quiz! Leading Losers!

shutoo

This year's Oscar quiz is "Leading Losers"...yes, I'm looking for the losers.  Below are 25 snippits of a film...name the film and the person who was nominated, but LOST the Oscar race in the LEADING (actress/actor) categories for their performance in that film.

In some cases, there are two leading losers, so name them both.  Since the pics take up a lot of space, please don't re-copy them...just gets too hard to scroll. Any actor's faces you spot in the clips can be considered clues...but are NOT the names I'm looking for.     Have fun!      (I have predicted 3 stumpers...but I'm hoping you geniuses will prove me wrong)

1. Animated GIF

2.  (2 people)  Animated GIF

3. Animated GIF

4. (2 people) Animated GIF

5. (2 people)Animated GIF

6. Animated GIF

7. Animated GIF

8. Animated GIF

9. Animated GIF

10. Animated GIF

11. (2 people) Animated GIF

12. (2 people) Animated GIF

13. Animated GIF

14. Animated GIF

15. Animated GIF

16.  (2 people) Animated GIF

17. Animated GIF

18. Animated GIF

19. Animated GIF

20. Animated GIF

21.  Animated GIF

22. Animated GIF

23. Animated GIF

24. Animated GIF

25. Animated GIF

• Like 1

1.  Wait Until Dark: Best Actress, Audrey Hepburn

5.  Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: Best Actor and Actress, Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor

8.  Ordinary People:  Best Actress, Mary Tyler Moore and Best Supporting Actor, Judd Hirsch who lost to co-star Timothy Hutton..

16.The China Syndrome Best Actress and Actor, Jane Fonda and Jack Lemmon

24.  The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming:  Best Actor, Alan Arkin

• Like 1

3. Barbara Stanwyck in Stella Dallas

4.  William Powell and Carole Lomabrd in My Man Godfrey

6. Bessie Love in Broadway Melody (?)

7. Barbara Stanwyck in Ball of Fire

10. John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever

12. Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright in The Pride of the Yankees

19. Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces

20. Vanessa Redgrave in Isadora

21. Kathleen Turner in Peggy Sue Got Married

• Like 1

9 is Babes in Arms --Mickey Rooney

11 is A Star is Born (1937) -- Fredric March and Janet Gaynor

14 looks like Citizen Kane -- Orson Welles

17 is one of my all time favorites, Anatomy of a Murder -- James Stewart (I just redid my whole bookshelf after looking at that bookshelf and realizing that books can lay sideways -- duh!)

13 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

9 is Babes in Arms --Mickey Rooney

11 is A Star is Born (1937) -- Fredric March and Janet Gaynor

14 looks like Citizen Kane -- Orson Welles

17 is one of my all time favorites, Anatomy of a Murder -- James Stewart (I just redid my whole bookshelf after looking at that bookshelf and realizing that books can lay sideways -- duh!)

9, 11, 17 are correct

14 isn't ..but I can see why you thought of it...hint:the man slipping in and out of the light is the lead

Well, the 3 I thought would be the toughest (14, 15, 25) have been correctly ID'd!  and a couple that seemed easy (to me) are left..go figure...

There are four  left:  2, 13, 22, 23...if no one has guesses today, I'll add some clues tomorrow

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

22. My Sister Eileen (1942) Rosalind Russell nominated for Best Actress?

I was sure someone would get this!...probably because I like the film so much...too bad Columbia messed it up with this Stooge cameo at the end

• Like 2

some clues...

2. Both the nominated losers had been nominated losers...and winners...before this film.  The film itself , based on a true incident, was also nominated.

13.  This was one of those occasions when I thought 'they were robbed'...a visually memorable film..not surprising considering the director's background..., and the nominated performance was excellent (and they have since become an Oscar winner..)

23. Note the sign and background...this person is an Oscar winner, and has had numerous nominations (before and after this one)

No. 2 is Missing (1982) -- Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek were both nominated.  The first clip looked familiar, but not the second (even though it's very striking).  I guess that can happen when you've only seen a film once, 40 years ago...

I'm sure I've never seen 13.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, Peebs said:

What was #13?  I think you've got us stumped, Shutoo.  It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Thanks! :)

Oh, I didn't really forget.  I'm sorry nobody knew that 13 was A Single Man...because Colin Firth's performance deserved a win that year, but instead Jeff Bridges (who I always like) won for that big risk down-on-my luck country singer that's been done about a hundred times before...oh well.   You know, this was probably the first year I didn't even attempt to watch the ceremony!  

I believe Arsan 404 got the most correct, so in honor of this ho-hum Oscar year, the prize is a trip...no expenses paid..to Boring, Oregon!  This guy (the 'wild man of Boring') will be your guide  

Pamplin Media Group - Boring celebrates being an exciting place to live

Thanks everyone for playing!

legal disclaimer:  the picture is for comedic effect...I do not hold any negative opinions of the citizens of Boring...or Dull, Scotland...or guys in faded floral shirts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings