Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

I'm thinking 14.8 million. What about you guys?

To be clear, there is no prize for accurate guessing, this is not a gambling website. Just the smug self-satisfaction of knowing you are right when the numbers come out mid-Monday/Tuesday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In 2020, the live TV audience in the U.S. fell to an all-time low of about 23.6 million viewers, down from 29.5 million in 2019.  For 2021, the Academy is predicting 12 to 15 million viewers for the live ceremony.  I'm guessing it will be closer to 17 million.  And I'll be one of them!  😎

• Like 1

Ask people to name ANY one of the made-for-streaming Best Pictures this year.

...And you thought "Tree of Life" had it tough six years ago.    😱

(I'm watching because I haven't seen Mank or Trial of the Chicago Seven, and like the last sixteen years, I'm just tuning in to see previews of the nominees to see if they're worth a rent.)

• Thanks 1

9.5 million.

And I have seen the nominated films Nomadland, Judas and the Black Messiah, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mank,  The United States Vs. Billie Holliday, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Hillbilly Elegy, Pieces of a Woman, One night in Miami,  Emma, Da 5 Bloods,  and Onward. So if you want to ask questions, fire away.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

9.5 million.

And I have seen the nominated films Nomadland, Judas and the Black Messiah, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mank,  The United States Vs. Billie Holliday, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Hillbilly Elegy, Pieces of a Woman, One night in Miami,  Emma, Da 5 Bloods,  and Onward. So if you want to ask questions, fire away.

Is MA RAINEY any good?

*And what exactly is her black   Bottom and does it have anything to do with the old song/dance ?

Also also, what with the NUTTINESS of the past several years and all, be open to the chance that something completely wild happens during the first third like, I don’t know, maybe STREEP and FRANCES MACDORMAND get into an expletive filled, on-camera shoving match when they think they’ve cut to commercial and viewership THUSLY SKYROCKETS because of TWITTER WORD OF MOUTH. 

• Haha 1

I voted for the SAG awards, so I have seen all of the nomination-leading films. They were almost all heavy-handed message pictures that were ordeals to watch and not anything much to want to see again.

The weighted voting is silly, and the Academy is working so hard on pleasing everyone, that it's difficult to credit their decisions.

So, naturally, I'll watch. But maybe low viewership will send a message to the Academy...Forgive the Schadenfreude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Leighcat said:

The weighted voting is silly, and the Academy is working so hard on pleasing everyone, that it's difficult to credit their decisions.

I am ironclad convinced that the sole reason Moonlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water, and other "unexpected" Best Picture winners of the last twelve years happened because of weighted Ranked Voting:
Most have the distinct smell of "Yeah, that was the...second-best movie of the year", the dreary critic-bait one that everyone else voted on in the betting pool while you went with your own populist favorite.  (How many remember winning '05 betting pools  against snooty friends who said "No, gotta be Mystic River...The Academy HATES fantasy, there's no WAY they'd give it to anything as 'trivial' as Return of the King!"?  Me, I remember winning one in college, since Amadeus wasn't considered as "important" a Picture as The Killing Fields, and to this day, there exist people who think The Crying Game should have beaten Unforgiven.)

And while nobody can agree on the #1 Best Picture, there's usually a consensus on what was the hardworking and earnest but dreary #2 Best Picture for the year, meaning the second-place slot ends up getting a higher point tally of votes than the first-place, and, like Aesop's Tortoise, wins for being mediocre.

Last year, we had Ranked Voting as an option for state election candidates as a ballot question, and it was only Oscar geeks like me that knew how to warn newcomers of the lurking danger....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

9.5 million.

In All Sincerity.. Why do You Think.. ...Possibly the Two B.EST Films of the Year (thus far)..

- Dreamland. And News of the World...

..were given the stiff arm ? ..

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I am ironclad convinced that the sole reason Moonlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water, and other "unexpected" Best Picture winners of the last twelve years happened because of weighted Ranked Voting:
Most have the distinct smell of "Yeah, that was the...second-best movie of the year", the dreary critic-bait one that everyone else voted on in the betting pool while you went with your own populist favorite.  (How many remember winning '05 betting pools  against snooty friends who said "No, gotta be Mystic River...The Academy HATES fantasy, there's no WAY they'd give it to anything as 'trivial' as Return of the King!"?  Me, I remember winning one in college, since Amadeus wasn't considered as "important" a Picture as The Killing Fields, and to this day, there exist people who think The Crying Game should have beaten Unforgiven.)

And while nobody can agree on the #1 Best Picture, there's usually a consensus on what was the hardworking and earnest but dreary #2 Best Picture for the year, meaning the second-place slot ends up getting a higher point tally of votes than the first-place, and, like Aesop's Tortoise, wins for being mediocre.

Last year, we had Ranked Voting as an option for state election candidates as a ballot question, and it was only Oscar geeks like me that knew how to warn newcomers of the lurking danger....

Shape of Water is EXQUISITE. ..One of the BEST SciFi Films EVER ...

THAT, One... .....They Actually Got RIGHT.. (*For a Remarkable Change...

_

If You Disagree .. ...(then) lets talk it over.....

🙏🥂 .

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Also also, what with the NUTTINESS of the past several years and all, be open to the chance that something completely wild happens during the first third like, I don’t know, maybe STREEP and FRANCES MACDORMAND get into an expletive filled, on-camera shoving match when they think they’ve cut to commercial and viewership THUSLY SKYROCKETS because of TWITTER WORD OF MOUTH. 

Lol👍👏LolLol

All i gottaSay, is,. (In between my laughter ..

TheyBetterKnow Sound Equipment When TheySeeIt ...

😐😬😬😬

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ask people to name ANY one of the made-for-streaming Best Pictures this year.

...And you thought "Tree of Life" had it tough six years ago.    😱

(I'm watching because I haven't seen Mank or Trial of the Chicago Seven, and like the last sixteen years, I'm just tuning in to see previews of the nominees to see if they're worth a rent.)

Dreamland, and News of the World ,are FANTASTIC - EXQUISITE .. If Interested.

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wish I had a prize to give to the winner!!!

Just having you in the forum is all the prize we need.

My guess: 11.2 Million minus 2 (my fuzzy and I will not be watching).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No idea, but I just checked the network listings to see what it's up against and unless there are a HELL of a lot more hockey fans than I thought, the Oscars should do well enough. But really isn't it time for these type of shows to go? It's not the TV event it once was. 

I would have thought it had already aired. How many will know to be looking for it? 

On 4/23/2021 at 10:32 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

What about you guys?

It will be one less this year since I won't be watching. The first time I will not watch in over 30 years, since I was not able to see any of the nominees.

• Thanks 1