Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?


Recommended Posts

Sidenote to mention that Anthony Hopkins requested to go lead for The Silence of the Lambs even with only 21% of the film's runtime because he felt that he would have swept in supporting, and he didn't want to seem like he was actively begging for an Oscar so he went leading to give someone else a chance. So instead of Nick Nolte and Hopkins winning the two male acting prizes in 1991, we got hopkins and a very memorable ceremony moment from supporting winner Jack Palance.

 

KRk6DY.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 10:15 AM, Roy Cronin said:

I agree.  "Dangerous Liaisons" should have been Glenn's year.

I think she was 7 or 8 months pregnant for the "Fatal Attraction" show.

 

Glen was about 8 months pregnant the year she was up for Fatal Attraction. That was a memorable year because that was the year they moved the ceremony to the Shrine auditorium for the first time since the 40s. The limo drivers were unprepared and there was a big traffic jam. The nominees became impatient, and started making mad dashes for the Shrine. Close, 8 months pregnant, was leaping over fenders in her evening gown.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2021 at 9:21 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ONE THING I WILL BET YOU....

With her THIRD BEST ACTRESS OSCAR and now ONE FOR PRODUCING AS WELL, we are going to be seeing, within the next 2-3 years, THE MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECT TO END ALL MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECTS coming from FRANCES MACDORMAND.

something delicious in its avarice and tone-deaf presentation, like, maybe she'll get that LENI REIFENSTAHL biopic that JODIE'S PEOPLE managed to talk her out of for years off the ground; maybe she'll be a GUITAR-PLAYING FRENCH-CANADIAN NUN saving a band of deaf and blind aboriginal children from an Australian wildfire, maybe a PANSEXUAL WICCAN POTTERY TEACHER IN TAOS  who organizes and single-handedly saves an indigenous tribe  by teaching them how to bedazzle yoga mats for a living...?

disclaimer: I cannot stand FRANCES MACDORMAND and I have never been able to stand FRANCES MACDORMAND. IF YOU DO- that's fine, it is a free country.

ps- she looked like WILLAM DEFOE in an off-the-rack schmatte from TJ MAXX.

Well, McDormand was originally supposed to be in some upcoming film playing a Canadian Mennonite (similar to Amish, but they use electricity) woman, but she bowed out of it. Maybe Glenn Close can play it instead.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Sidenote to mention that Anthony Hopkins requested to go lead for The Silence of the Lambs even with only 21% of the film's runtime because he felt that he would have swept in supporting, and he didn't want to seem like he was actively begging for an Oscar so he went leading to give someone else a chance. So instead of Nick Nolte and Hopkins winning the two male acting prizes in 1991, we got hopkins and a very memorable ceremony moment from supporting winner Jack Palance.

 

KRk6DY.gif

Who could forget that? LOL.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 4:13 PM, CinemaInternational said:

As for this year's Oscars, I think that it was downright insulting that Mank won for cinematography. It is one of the worst-photographed films I have ever seen, and an insult to the great black and white photography of classic Hollywood.

Some screenshots of murky misused black-and-white photography from the film to back up my claim:

Mank-9-p.-48-BOTTOM-Mank_Reel1_OnlineGra

la-ca-mank-movie-erik-messerschmidt-dp-1

Mank_Reel4_OnlineGrade_NoGrain_cropped_v

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9_RcMzexQ_6EQyfq6rP5

gallery1-1612890083.jpg

Mank-stroll-3.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I haven’t heard much about that movie, but what I have has not been kind. 
EDIT: I should say “read” not “heard.” I haven’t been talking to anyone...

Be grateful you missed it. Just another heavy, self-important film.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, lydecker said:

I was really looking forward to this film but I swear, no one today can do "period" stuff.  It's always a caricature of that time.  And the dialogue in this film:  "Oh, there goes the Boy Wonder, Irving Thalberg . . . " As though any insider would ever say anything that lame.  The whole film was a disaster and it didn't need to be.

It was such a disappointing dispiriting experience.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

 and a very memorable ceremony moment from supporting winner Jack Palance.

Jack Palance later voiced the villain in the animated The Swan Princess  (1994), and, uh...

797_84f3ad9855.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Here's something that's fun, the 10 longest and  10 shortest Oscar nominated performances in each acting category by percentage of the movie's runtime.

 
 
Leading Actor
 
Longest

1. James Whitmore (Give 'em Hell, Harry!) - 96.52%

2. Spencer Tracy (Father of the Bride) - 87.84%

3. Dustin Hoffman (The Graduate) - 87.65%
4. Stuart Whitman (The Mark) - 87.51%

5. Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness) - 87.15%

6. Art Carney (Harry and Tonto) - 87.13%

7. Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart) - 86.85%

8. Gregory Peck (Gentleman's Agreement) - 86.80%

9. Louis Calhern (The Magnificent Yankee) - 86.36%

10. James Franco (127 Hours) - 85.90%

Shortest

 

1. Spencer Tracy (San Francisco) - 12.99%

2. Walter Huston (The Devil and Daniel Webster) - 19.50%

3. Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers) - 19.71%

4. Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs) - 21.00%

5. Marlon Brando (Julius Caesar) - 21.60%

6. James Dean (Giant) - 21.92%

7. Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg) - 21.95%

8. Humphrey Bogart (The Caine Mutiny) - 22.79%

9. Marlon Brando (The Godfather) - 22.91%

10. David Niven (Separate Tables) - 23.67%

Leading Actress

Longest

 

1. Charlotte Rampling (45 Years) - 91.20%

2. Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night) - 88.99%

3. Reese Witherspoon (Wild) - 88.13%

4. Meryl Streep (Postcards from the Edge) - 86.90%

5. Liv Ullmann (Face to Face) - 86.74%

6. Jennifer Jones (Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing) - 86.19%

7. Bette Davis (The Star) - 86.18%

8. Jill Clayburgh (An Unmarried Woman) - 85.92%

9. Katharine Hepburn (Summertime) - 85.58%

10. Ginger Rogers (Kitty Foyle) - 85.29%

Shortest

 

1. Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) - 16.96%

2. Deborah Kerr (From Here to Eternity) - 17.42%

3. Simone Signoret (Ship of Fools) - 18.12%

4. Greer Garson (Goodbye, Mr. Chips) - 19.20%

5. Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfeld) - 19.27%

6. Eleanor Parker (Detective Story) - 19.53%

7. Patricia Neal (Hud) - 19.58%

8. Nicole Kidman (The Hours) - 20.49%

9. Julie Christie (McCabe and Mrs. Miller) - 20.71%

10. Geraldine Page (Interiors) - 22.34%

 

Supporting Actor

Longest

 

1. Richard Burton (My Cousin Rachel) - 85.33%

2. Gene Hackman (I Never Sang for My Father) - 74.04%

3. Charles Coburn (The Devil and Miss Jones) - 73.14%

4. Randy Quaid (The Last Detail) - 68.03%

5. John Ireland (All the King's Men) - 66.83%

6. Don Murray (Bus Stop) - 64.51%

7. Ethan Hawke (Training Day) - 61.05%

8. Roland Young (Topper) - 59.89%

9. Jack Albertson (The Subject Was Roses) - 58.59%

10. Jeff Bridges (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot) - 57.74%

Shortest

 

1. John Lithgow (Terms of Endearment) - 4.91%

2. Ned Beatty (Network) - 4.95%

3. Basil Rathbone (Romeo and Juliet) - 5.04%

4. John Gielgud (Becket) - 5.48%

5. Maximilian Schell (Julia) - 5.81%

6. John Marley (Love Story) - 6.04%

7. Mark Wahlberg (The Departed) - 6.19%

8. Lee Strasberg (The Godfather Part II) - 6.39%

9. Alan Alda (The Aviator) - 6.40%

10. Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born [2018]) - 6.45%

 

 

Supporting Actress

Longest

 

1. Tatum O'Neal (Paper Moon) - 65.49%

2. Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker) - 61.67%

3. Rooney Mara (Carol) - 59.67%

4. Celeste Holm (Come to the Stable) - 58.77%

5. Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal) - 56.24%

6. Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit) - 54.76%

7. Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) - 49.88%

8. Lilia Skala (Lilies of the Field) - 49.62%

9. Emma Stone (The Favourite) - 48.03%

10. Julia Roberts (August: Osage County) - 46.55%

Shortest

 

1. Hermione Baddeley (Room at the Top) - 1.98%

2. Ethel Barrymore (The Paradine Case) - 3.38%

3. Jane Alexander (All the President's Men) - 3.73%

4. Ruby Dee (American Gangster) - 3.93%

5. Beatrice Straight (Network) - 4.15%

6. Sylvia Miles (Midnight Cowboy) - 4.70%

7. Maureen Stapleton (Reds) - 4.74%

8. Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love) - 4.75%

9. Claire Trevor (Dead End) - 4.76%

10. Holly Hunter (The Firm) - 4.79%

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Some screenshots of murky misused black-and-white photography from the film to back up my claim:

Mank-9-p.-48-BOTTOM-Mank_Reel1_OnlineGra

la-ca-mank-movie-erik-messerschmidt-dp-1

Mank_Reel4_OnlineGrade_NoGrain_cropped_v

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9_RcMzexQ_6EQyfq6rP5

gallery1-1612890083.jpg

Mank-stroll-3.jpg

Be grateful you missed it. Just another heavy, self-important film.

It was such a disappointing dispiriting experience.

Thank you for posting this. Clearly influenced by the sepia sludge self-important "neo-noir" (not) look that dominates today's movie and TV cinematography, but then turned back into black & white. This seems to be as bad an award as the Editing award to Bohemian Rhapsody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Here's something that's fun, the 10 longest and  10 shortest Oscar nominated performances in each acting category by percentage of the movie's runtime.

 
 
Leading Actor
 
Longest

1. James Whitmore (Give 'em Hell, Harry!) - 96.52%

2. Spencer Tracy (Father of the Bride) - 87.84%

3. Dustin Hoffman (The Graduate) - 87.65%
4. Stuart Whitman (The Mark) - 87.51%

5. Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness) - 87.15%

6. Art Carney (Harry and Tonto) - 87.13%

7. Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart) - 86.85%

8. Gregory Peck (Gentleman's Agreement) - 86.80%

9. Louis Calhern (The Magnificent Yankee) - 86.36%

10. James Franco (127 Hours) - 85.90%

Shortest

 

1. Spencer Tracy (San Francisco) - 12.99%

2. Walter Huston (The Devil and Daniel Webster) - 19.50%

3. Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers) - 19.71%

4. Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs) - 21.00%

5. Marlon Brando (Julius Caesar) - 21.60%

6. James Dean (Giant) - 21.92%

7. Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg) - 21.95%

8. Humphrey Bogart (The Caine Mutiny) - 22.79%

9. Marlon Brando (The Godfather) - 22.91%

10. David Niven (Separate Tables) - 23.67%

Leading Actress

Longest

 

1. Charlotte Rampling (45 Years) - 91.20%

2. Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night) - 88.99%

3. Reese Witherspoon (Wild) - 88.13%

4. Meryl Streep (Postcards from the Edge) - 86.90%

5. Liv Ullmann (Face to Face) - 86.74%

6. Jennifer Jones (Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing) - 86.19%

7. Bette Davis (The Star) - 86.18%

8. Jill Clayburgh (An Unmarried Woman) - 85.92%

9. Katharine Hepburn (Summertime) - 85.58%

10. Ginger Rogers (Kitty Foyle) - 85.29%

Shortest

 

1. Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) - 16.96%

2. Deborah Kerr (From Here to Eternity) - 17.42%

3. Simone Signoret (Ship of Fools) - 18.12%

4. Greer Garson (Goodbye, Mr. Chips) - 19.20%

5. Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfeld) - 19.27%

6. Eleanor Parker (Detective Story) - 19.53%

7. Patricia Neal (Hud) - 19.58%

8. Nicole Kidman (The Hours) - 20.49%

9. Julie Christie (McCabe and Mrs. Miller) - 20.71%

10. Geraldine Page (Interiors) - 22.34%

 

Supporting Actor

Longest

 

1. Richard Burton (My Cousin Rachel) - 85.33%

2. Gene Hackman (I Never Sang for My Father) - 74.04%

3. Charles Coburn (The Devil and Miss Jones) - 73.14%

4. Randy Quaid (The Last Detail) - 68.03%

5. John Ireland (All the King's Men) - 66.83%

6. Don Murray (Bus Stop) - 64.51%

7. Ethan Hawke (Training Day) - 61.05%

8. Roland Young (Topper) - 59.89%

9. Jack Albertson (The Subject Was Roses) - 58.59%

10. Jeff Bridges (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot) - 57.74%

Shortest

 

1. John Lithgow (Terms of Endearment) - 4.91%

2. Ned Beatty (Network) - 4.95%

3. Basil Rathbone (Romeo and Juliet) - 5.04%

4. John Gielgud (Becket) - 5.48%

5. Maximilian Schell (Julia) - 5.81%

6. John Marley (Love Story) - 6.04%

7. Mark Wahlberg (The Departed) - 6.19%

8. Lee Strasberg (The Godfather Part II) - 6.39%

9. Alan Alda (The Aviator) - 6.40%

10. Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born [2018]) - 6.45%

 

 

Supporting Actress

Longest

 

1. Tatum O'Neal (Paper Moon) - 65.49%

2. Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker) - 61.67%

3. Rooney Mara (Carol) - 59.67%

4. Celeste Holm (Come to the Stable) - 58.77%

5. Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal) - 56.24%

6. Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit) - 54.76%

7. Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) - 49.88%

8. Lilia Skala (Lilies of the Field) - 49.62%

9. Emma Stone (The Favourite) - 48.03%

10. Julia Roberts (August: Osage County) - 46.55%

Shortest

 

1. Hermione Baddeley (Room at the Top) - 1.98%

2. Ethel Barrymore (The Paradine Case) - 3.38%

3. Jane Alexander (All the President's Men) - 3.73%

4. Ruby Dee (American Gangster) - 3.93%

5. Beatrice Straight (Network) - 4.15%

6. Sylvia Miles (Midnight Cowboy) - 4.70%

7. Maureen Stapleton (Reds) - 4.74%

8. Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love) - 4.75%

9. Claire Trevor (Dead End) - 4.76%

10. Holly Hunter (The Firm) - 4.79%

Thanks for posting this. Richard Burton's nomination in the supporting category is the most ludicrous ever; I would have guessed he was onscreen in My Cousin Rachel even more than 85%. Some other thoughts:

The one problem with the percentages is that some films are much longer than others. 19% of The Great Ziegfeld is a lot more than 19% of Hud. 4.74% of the butt-numbing Reds is more than 4.74% than some of the other films mentioned. 21.92% of Giant is like 100% of a normal-length film.

Hermione Baddeley has a tiny role in Room at the Top, but that's the power of a well-backed film, landing nominations in most of the categories. The two winners in the ten smallest supporting actress roles (Beatrice Straight and Maureen Stapleton) were both from films with Best Picture nods and nominations for all acting categories.

It's been a few years since I've seen Come to the Stable, but I wonder if Celeste Holm is in almost 60% of it. That's the one percentage that really surprises. Hugh Marlowe had a number of nunless scenes, and Loretta Young had scenes without the other nuns. I would never have thought Holm was in about as much of her film as Rooney Mara was in Carol.

I'd never have guessed that Meryl Streep in Postcards from the Edge and Jennifer Jones in Love in a Many-Splendored Thing had two of the longest roles. On the other hand, Liv Ullmann does seem like she's on the screen all the time in the dreadful Face to Face, by far the worst Bergman film I've seen (not Ullmann's fault).

I was surprised that Spencer Tracy had the second-longest role in Father of the Bride; it seems long to me, but that's because I'm allergic to Spencer Tracy in full-out unrestrained cute ear-tugging scene-stealing mode. Gentleman's Agreement has juicy roles for Dorothy McGuire, Anne Revere, Celeste Holm, and John Garfield, and though most of their scenes are with Gregory Peck, it doesn't feel like he's in the film nearly as much.

Some of us have argued in other threads about the proper placement of some of these performances. This is useful ammo for arguing that Brando has supporting roles in Julius Caesar and The Godfather, though the latter is very long; that Bogart (The Caine Mutiny), Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers), Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg), and Patricia Neal (Hud) belonged in the supporting category. As for Don Murray in Bus Stop, obviously a lead, his performance is too weak to be considered in any category except Best-Looking Newcomer (Male).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2021 at 6:21 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ONE THING I WILL BET YOU....

With her THIRD BEST ACTRESS OSCAR and now ONE FOR PRODUCING AS WELL, we are going to be seeing, within the next 2-3 years, THE MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECT TO END ALL MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECTS coming from FRANCES MACDORMAND.

something delicious in its avarice and tone-deaf presentation, like, maybe she'll get that LENI REIFENSTAHL biopic that JODIE'S PEOPLE managed to talk her out of for years off the ground; maybe she'll be a GUITAR-PLAYING FRENCH-CANADIAN NUN saving a band of deaf and blind aboriginal children from an Australian wildfire, maybe a PANSEXUAL WICCAN POTTERY TEACHER IN TAOS  who organizes and single-handedly saves an indigenous tribe  by teaching them how to bedazzle yoga mats for a living...?

disclaimer: I cannot stand FRANCES MACDORMAND and I have never been able to stand FRANCES MACDORMAND. IF YOU DO- that's fine, it is a free country.

ps- she looked like WILLAM DEFOE in an off-the-rack schmatte from TJ MAXX.

typing every word in this post in lower case to counterbalance the excessive use of capital letters.  i like frances mcdormand, personally.  she was great in "fargo".  great in "blood simple" too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vidor said:

typing every word in this post in lower case to counterbalance the excessive use of capital letters. 

ee cummings once set me a letter BERATING me over my excessive USE OF ALL CAPS, and using a chain of profanities so intense that I wept openly. 
 

(and all in lower case!)
 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Lorna's posts to be always invigorating, both visually and content-wise.

Veritable flowerbeds in the mundane oasis of lowercase conformity and banality. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I find Lorna's posts to be always invigorating, both visually and content-wise.

Veritable flowerbeds in the mundane oasis of lowercase conformity and banality. 

 

👍🎶🔥🌈💥💈

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED TO USE ALL CAPS TO MAKE THE POINT. 
 

ie

”Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull” is an absolutely awful movie and everyone involved in its making should be filled with eternal shame.”

vs.

”Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull” is an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL MOVIE and EVERYONE involved in its making should be filled with ETERNAL SHAME.”

EDIT, also acceptable:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, kingrat said:

Thanks for posting this. Richard Burton's nomination in the supporting category is the most ludicrous ever; I would have guessed he was onscreen in My Cousin Rachel even more than 85%. Some other thoughts:

The one problem with the percentages is that some films are much longer than others. 19% of The Great Ziegfeld is a lot more than 19% of Hud. 4.74% of the butt-numbing Reds is more than 4.74% than some of the other films mentioned. 21.92% of Giant is like 100% of a normal-length film.

Hermione Baddeley has a tiny role in Room at the Top, but that's the power of a well-backed film, landing nominations in most of the categories. The two winners in the ten smallest supporting actress roles (Beatrice Straight and Maureen Stapleton) were both from films with Best Picture nods and nominations for all acting categories.

It's been a few years since I've seen Come to the Stable, but I wonder if Celeste Holm is in almost 60% of it. That's the one percentage that really surprises. Hugh Marlowe had a number of nunless scenes, and Loretta Young had scenes without the other nuns. I would never have thought Holm was in about as much of her film as Rooney Mara was in Carol.

I'd never have guessed that Meryl Streep in Postcards from the Edge and Jennifer Jones in Love in a Many-Splendored Thing had two of the longest roles. On the other hand, Liv Ullmann does seem like she's on the screen all the time in the dreadful Face to Face, by far the worst Bergman film I've seen (not Ullmann's fault).

I was surprised that Spencer Tracy had the second-longest role in Father of the Bride; it seems long to me, but that's because I'm allergic to Spencer Tracy in full-out unrestrained cute ear-tugging scene-stealing mode. Gentleman's Agreement has juicy roles for Dorothy McGuire, Anne Revere, Celeste Holm, and John Garfield, and though most of their scenes are with Gregory Peck, it doesn't feel like he's in the film nearly as much.

Some of us have argued in other threads about the proper placement of some of these performances. This is useful ammo for arguing that Brando has supporting roles in Julius Caesar and The Godfather, though the latter is very long; that Bogart (The Caine Mutiny), Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers), Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg), and Patricia Neal (Hud) belonged in the supporting category. As for Don Murray in Bus Stop, obviously a lead, his performance is too weak to be considered in any category except Best-Looking Newcomer (Male).

Agree with most of your points, but Face to Face was NOT dreadful! Burton was probably in Rachel more than Olivia was!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, kingrat said:

Thanks for posting this. Richard Burton's nomination in the supporting category is the most ludicrous ever; I would have guessed he was onscreen in My Cousin Rachel even more than 85%. Some other thoughts:

The one problem with the percentages is that some films are much longer than others. 19% of The Great Ziegfeld is a lot more than 19% of Hud. 4.74% of the butt-numbing Reds is more than 4.74% than some of the other films mentioned. 21.92% of Giant is like 100% of a normal-length film.

Hermione Baddeley has a tiny role in Room at the Top, but that's the power of a well-backed film, landing nominations in most of the categories. The two winners in the ten smallest supporting actress roles (Beatrice Straight and Maureen Stapleton) were both from films with Best Picture nods and nominations for all acting categories.

It's been a few years since I've seen Come to the Stable, but I wonder if Celeste Holm is in almost 60% of it. That's the one percentage that really surprises. Hugh Marlowe had a number of nunless scenes, and Loretta Young had scenes without the other nuns. I would never have thought Holm was in about as much of her film as Rooney Mara was in Carol.

I'd never have guessed that Meryl Streep in Postcards from the Edge and Jennifer Jones in Love in a Many-Splendored Thing had two of the longest roles. On the other hand, Liv Ullmann does seem like she's on the screen all the time in the dreadful Face to Face, by far the worst Bergman film I've seen (not Ullmann's fault).

I was surprised that Spencer Tracy had the second-longest role in Father of the Bride; it seems long to me, but that's because I'm allergic to Spencer Tracy in full-out unrestrained cute ear-tugging scene-stealing mode. Gentleman's Agreement has juicy roles for Dorothy McGuire, Anne Revere, Celeste Holm, and John Garfield, and though most of their scenes are with Gregory Peck, it doesn't feel like he's in the film nearly as much.

Some of us have argued in other threads about the proper placement of some of these performances. This is useful ammo for arguing that Brando has supporting roles in Julius Caesar and The Godfather, though the latter is very long; that Bogart (The Caine Mutiny), Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers), Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg), and Patricia Neal (Hud) belonged in the supporting category. As for Don Murray in Bus Stop, obviously a lead, his performance is too weak to be considered in any category except Best-Looking Newcomer (Male).

There are also lists for actual screentime, which favors longer films (ie Streep doesn't make it in for Postcards from the Edge in terms of runtime because despite being onscreen for most of the film, its only a 98 minute movie), but here you go..... People in Bold were on both the percentage and runtime lists.

Leading Actor

Longest

1. Denzel Washington (Malcolm X) - 2:21:58

2. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street) - 2:21:07

3. Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia) - 2:13:13
4. Anthony Hopkins (Nixon) - 2:04:10

5. Charlton Heston (Ben-Hur) - 2:01:23

6. Tom Hanks (Cast Away) - 1:58:15

7. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Aviator) - 1:57:46

8. Will Smith (Ali) - 1:57:22

9. Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood) - 1:57:00

10. Peter O'Toole (Goodbye, Mr. Chips) - 1:51:40

Shortest

 

1. Spencer Tracy (San Francisco) - 14:58

2. Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers) - 20:14

3. Walter Huston (The Devil and Daniel Webster) - 20:41
4. Fredric March (The Royal Family of Broadway) - 21:45

5. David Niven (Separate Tables) - 23:39

6. Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs) - 24:52

7. Marlon Brando (Julius Caesar) - 26:10

8. Clifton Webb (Sitting Pretty) - 27:26

9. Paul Muni (The Valiant) - 28:07

10. Humphrey Bogart (The Caine Mutiny) - 28:22

leading Actress

Longest

 

1. Vivien Leigh (Gone with the Wind) - 2:23:32

2. Diana Ross (Lady Sings the Blues) - 2:01:38

3. Barbra Streisand (Funny Girl) - 2:01:02
4. Liv Ullmann (Face to Face) - 1:58:06

5. Judy Garland (A Star Is Born) - 1:56:12

6. Meryl Streep (Out of Africa) - 1:52:57

7. Audrey Hepburn (The Nun's Story) - 1:52:50

8. Bette Midler (The Rose) - 1:51:31

9. Isabelle Huppert (Elle) - 1:49:55

10. Rosalind Russell (Auntie Mame) - 1:48:23

Shortest

 

1. Eleanor Parker (Detective Story) - 20:10

2. Geraldine Page (Interiors) - 20:30

3. Deborah Kerr (From Here to Eternity) - 20:32
4. Louise Dresser (A Ship Comes In) - 21:46

5. Patricia Neal (Hud) - 21:51

6. Greer Garson (Goodbye, Mr. Chips) - 21:54

7. Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) - 22:37

8. Nicole Kidman (The Hours) - 23:30

9. Julie Christie (McCabe and Mrs. Miller) - 25:02

10. Frances McDormand (Fargo) - 26:29

Supporting Actor

Longest

 

1. Frank Finlay (Othello) - 1:30:43

2. Richard Burton (My Cousin Rachel) - 1:23:57

3. Ethan Hawke (Training Day) - 1:14:27
4. John Ireland (All the King's Men) - 1:13:18

5. Peter Firth (Equus) - 1:13:01

6. Randy Quaid (The Last Detail) - 1:10:41

7. Gene Hackman (I Never Sang for My Father) - 1:08:09

8. Charles Coburn (The Devil and Miss Jones) - 1:07:35

9. Mahershala Ali (Green Book) - 1:06:38

10. Jeff Bridges (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot) - 1:06:23

Shortest

 

1. Ned Beatty (Network) - 6:00

2. John Marley (Love Story) - 6:03

3. Basil Rathbone (Romeo and Juliet) - 6:16
4. John Lithgow (Terms of Endearment) - 6:28

5. Maximilian Schell (Julia) - 6:49

6. Charles Durning (The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas) - 7:26

7. John Gielgud (Becket) - 8:07

8. William Hurt (A History of Violence) - 8:22

9. Alan Arkin (Argo) - 8:39

10. Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born) - 8:45

 

Supporting Actress

Longest

 

1. Jennifer Jones (Since You Went Away) - 1:15:38

2. Rooney Mara (Carol) - 1:10:37

3. Tatum O'Neal (Paper Moon) - 1:06:58
4. Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker) - 1:05:43

5. Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Secrets and Lies) - 1:00:38

6. Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit) - 1:00:21

7. Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) - 59:37

8. Kate Winslet (Sense and Sensibility) - 59:32

9. Barbara Bel Geddes (I Remember Mama) - 58:10

10. Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight) - 57:45 [3 of them alone from 2015's lineup?!?!?!]

Shortest

 

1. Hermione Baddeley (Room at the Top) - 2:19

2. Ethel Barrymore (The Paradine Case) - 3:52

3. Claire Trevor (Dead End) - 4:22
4. Maria Ouspenskaya (Dodsworth) - 4:57

5. Beatrice Straight (Network) - 5:02

6. Jane Alexander (All the President's Men) - 5:09

7. Sylvia Miles (Midnight Cowboy) - 5:19

8. Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love) - 5:52

9. Carolyn Jones (The Bachelor Party) - 6:01

10. Geraldine Page (The Pope of Greenwich Village) - 6:06

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting this, CI. I would guess that we will continue to see lengthy performances, especially by women, nominated for supporting roles. It's not a total coincidence that three of the longest were from 2015. In earlier years, many star actresses would not have wanted to be in the supporting category (an exception is Jennifer Jones in Since You Went Away, but she had already won a Best Actress Oscar and Selznick may have hoped she and Claudette Colbert could both win), but now the campaign plan is to go for the Oscar in the wrong category.

Is it significant that eight supporting actresses have been nominated with shorter screen time than any man in the supporting actor category? One would hope that Hermione Baddeley's 2:19 is an all-time aberration.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

just now getting around to reading this news story from a few days ago

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/eleanorbate/oscars-producer-steven-soderbergh-said-it-was-always-part?origin=web-hf

for those who don't feel like reading or clicking the link, i'LL SUM UP:

2021 OSCARS PRODUCER claims he is VERY VERY SORRY...

.....THAT YOU ****ING PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO SEE THAT THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO PUT BEST ACTOR LAST this year. THE MOMENT DEMANDED IT AND- GIVEN THE CHANCE- THEY'D DO IT ALL THE SAME WAY AGAIN. IN FACT, THEY'D BEEN PLANNING IT BEFORE THE NOMINATIONS WERE ANNOUNCED!!!

....AND ALSO YOU'RE ALL LUCKY THEY EVEN PUT A SHOW ON FOR YOU BASTARDS!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

just now getting around to reading this news story from a few days ago

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/eleanorbate/oscars-producer-steven-soderbergh-said-it-was-always-part?origin=web-hf

for those who don't feel like reading or clicking the link, i'LL SUM UP:

2021 OSCARS PRODUCER claims he is VERY VERY SORRY...

.....THAT YOU ****ING PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO SEE THAT THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO PUT BEST ACTOR LAST this year. THE MOMENT DEMANDED IT AND- GIVEN THE CHANCE- THEY'D DO IT ALL THE SAME WAY AGAIN. IN FACT, THEY'D BEEN PLANNING IT BEFORE THE NOMINATIONS WERE ANNOUNCED!!!

....AND ALSO YOU'RE ALL LUCKY THEY EVEN PUT A SHOW ON FOR YOU BASTARDS!!!!!

Want to bet it wont be done that way NEXT year? LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

just now getting around to reading this news story from a few days ago

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/eleanorbate/oscars-producer-steven-soderbergh-said-it-was-always-part?origin=web-hf

for those who don't feel like reading or clicking the link, i'LL SUM UP:

2021 OSCARS PRODUCER claims he is VERY VERY SORRY...

.....THAT YOU ****ING PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO SEE THAT THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO PUT BEST ACTOR LAST this year. THE MOMENT DEMANDED IT AND- GIVEN THE CHANCE- THEY'D DO IT ALL THE SAME WAY AGAIN. IN FACT, THEY'D BEEN PLANNING IT BEFORE THE NOMINATIONS WERE ANNOUNCED!!!

....AND ALSO YOU'RE ALL LUCKY THEY EVEN PUT A SHOW ON FOR YOU BASTARDS!!!!!

I didn't read it that way. The money quote for me was, "... actors' speeches tend to be more dramatic than producers speeches, and so we thought it might be fun to mix it up..."

Lesson? Let's just stop mixing $hit up for a while. 

sub-buzz-9446-1620290394-3.jpg?downsize=

And who else looks at Steven Soderburgh here and sees Peter Sellers bald?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if Boseman had won, it would still have been exploitative to give Best Actor last. 

It also made a difference the Frances McDormand spoke (and howled)  as the producer of the best picture winner right before she ended up winning best actress, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Guess it depends upon who dies during the course of the year. 

Woke me up when it's all over.

I'd rather be woke up before they go-go.

200519-Wham-Wake-me-up-before-you-go-go.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

NBC has announced they will NOT be broadcasting The 2022 Golden Globes. 
 

ostensibly it’s over “Diversity Issues” In the HFPA, but one can’t wonder if it’s related the the recent ratings crash of every awards show this year. 
 

I really wonder if this is the beginning of the end....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...