Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

Future generations won't get the line then in the big fight scene in The First Wives Club after Bette midler throws Goldie Hawn's Golden Globe across the screen into a glass framed picture: " BRENDA, this is a Golden Globe! It's sacred! It's ..... TRADEMARKED!"

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Tom Cruise returns Golden Globes Awards in protest of HFPA

Now the Globes are probably wishing that they had given them back in the day to Morgan Freeman, Ralph Fiennes, and Michael Caine.....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Future generations won't get the line then in the big fight scene in The First Wives Club after Bette midler throws Goldie Hawn's Golden Globe across the screen into a glass framed picture: " BRENDA, this is a Golden Globe! It's sacred! It's ..... TRADEMARKED!"

Funny, I was watching this clip earlier-

BETTE seems bitter about FOR THE BOYS’s box office, but DAMN she looks GOOD! (And that bracelet!)

3 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Were it a Death Match to the end, I would much rather see the Golden Globes survive versus The Oscars.

At least the HFPA doesn't pretend to be something it clearly isn't,  unlike The Esteemed Academy.

Just my lowbrow opinion of course.

VERY low.  Also, for years, there was the continuing mystery of "the Phantom Oscars", since nobody knew who or what "the HFPA" was, or whether it was still around since its 30's studio-publicity-department days.  

News articles would always try to track down HFPA members, and only found one or two who had paid for Associate Memberships.  Although I did recall one discussion on Usenet from a critic who'd seen a HFPA publicist on a press-junket interview, and thought they were a crawling celeb-kissup.

That would fit in with the Globes' reputation as "the Gullible Globes", who simply puts together every Oscar-bait rumor, real or studio-concocted, into actual "nominations", for us to take seriously or not at our will.  As opposed to the Oscars' votes by working film technicians and actors, at least before they shortened the voting period, and the actors and technicians had to cheat and just crib the Golden Globe and NBOR nominations like the rest of us.

Plus, it's generally finer entertainment. 

Oh, yeah, the second half of the banquet-style awards, where they serve drinks, makes for some DON'T MISS entertainment in the presentations and speeches by the end of the evening...  🥴

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Of course if he moved it he would be indecently exposed.....

I'm betting there's one thing that Oscar and Barbie's Ken have in common.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

One Oscar-releated thing that made me laugh. Reading an early 90s column by "Libby Gelman-Waxner" suggesting that the stalker who was trying to off Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard should have been played by Sally Kirkland or Marsha Mason so they would try to snatch her Oscar at the big climactic ceremony.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

One Oscar-releated thing that made me laugh. Reading an early 90s column by "Libby Gelman-Waxner" suggesting that the stalker who was trying to off Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard should have been played by Sally Kirkland or Marsha Mason so they would try to snatch her Oscar at the big climactic ceremony.

she also has some funny remarks about THAT ODD OSCAR ENSEMBLE SPORTED BY RACHEL MARRON [aka WHITNEY] ON THE NIGHT OF HER BIG WIN.

I have always been highly puzzled by it, especially the bunching on the skirt, and it's hard to find a full image anywhere.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:48 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh wait, here we go.

for the record, it's not bad, but it's not BEST ACTRESS AT THE OSCARS, and UNTIE THAT **** KNOT!

See the source image

It's like she had too much fabric on the sides, not enough in the middle, and then she thought, "I Know how I can fix it! I'll tie a knot in it!"

8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's like she had too much fabric on the sides, not enough in the middle, and then she thought, "I Know how I can fix it! I'll tie a knot in it!"

I bet her sister picked it out for her. (If you’ve seen the movie you’ll get the joke)

• Haha 1

It seems that post third Oscar, Frances McDormand has moved into unexpected Mrs. Robinson/Harold and Maude territory in her next role in The French Dispatch.... which is certainly a choice..... especially given that said actor playing her love interest was only 3 months old when Fargo was released.....

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

It seems that post third Oscar, Frances McDormand has moved into unexpected Mrs. Robinson/Harold and Maude territory in her next role in The French Dispatch.... which is certainly a choice..... especially given that said actor playing her love interest was only 3 months old when Fargo was released.....

[vomit emoji]

[vomit emoji]

[vomit emoji]

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Frances McDormand has moved into unexpected Mrs. Robinson/Harold and Maude territory in her next role

I see what you did there, AND I AM LIVING FOR IT.

See the source image