Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

9.5 million.

And I have seen the nominated films Nomadland, Judas and the Black Messiah, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mank,  The United States Vs. Billie Holliday, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Hillbilly Elegy, Pieces of a Woman, One night in Miami,  Emma, Da 5 Bloods,  and Onward. So if you want to ask questions, fire away.

The only one I've seen is Promising Young Woman which seems to be the only one you didn't see!

20 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Is MA RAINEY any good?

*And what exactly is her black   Bottom and does it have anything to do with the old song/dance ?

Its somewhat stagey like most filmed plays, but its given a lot of he ft by powerhouse performances from Boseman and Davis. Its one of last year's more satisfying films.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, EricJ said:

there exist people who think The Crying Game should have beaten Unforgiven.)

Recently seeing MONA LISA for the first time made me realize how derivative of it THE CRYING GAME was.

the main thing that killed THE CRYING GAME for me was FORREST WHITTAKER'S performance.

I don't get FORREST WHITTAKER.

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD PUZZLE will always keep the last name of STEPHEN REA alive, but damned if he didn't evaporate soon after.

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Recently seeing MONA LISA for the first time made me realize how derivative of it THE CRYING GAME was.

the main thing that killed THE CRYING GAME for me was FORREST WHITTAKER'S performance.

I don't get FORREST WHITTAKER.

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD PUZZLE will always keep the last name of STEPHEN REA alive, but damned if he didn't evaporate soon after.

The last time I saw Rea, he was being gunned down by Isabelle Huppert.... In another Neil Jordon film. 

I saw Mona Lisa before The Crying Game, so I wasn't as enamoured of it as much as I was the earlier film, and frankly the violent finales of both were the same, with Jaye and Miranda Richardson replacing Cathy Tyson and Michael Caine. That said I love the Boy George cover of the title song over the end credits of Crying Game.

BTW, Jaye Davidson and Cathy Tyson looked enough alike to be siblings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

BTW, Jaye Davidson and Cathy Tyson looked enough alike to be siblings.

true, and I WOULD WATCH THE HELL OUT OF THAT FILM!

PS- thank you mentioning CATHY TYSON, I did not mention her in my earlier review of the film in the other thread and I should have. she was really good.

An article in today's Variety section of the Minneapolis Tribune begins:

"It is a tribute to a country where people are free to honor noteworthy achievements regardless of creed, race or color," actress Fay Bainter said as she announced Hattie McDaniel as Oscar's best supporting actress of 1939.  Now 82 years later, her statement may finally be true.  It has taken too long, but this year's Academy Awards are the most diverse in Oscar history. (Unquote)

Maybe this will be a larger audience than most of us are anticipating!

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, EricJ said:

I am ironclad convinced that the sole reason Moonlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water, and other "unexpected" Best Picture winners of the last twelve years happened because of weighted Ranked Voting:
Most have the distinct smell of "Yeah, that was the...second-best movie of the year", the dreary critic-bait one that everyone else voted on in the betting pool while you went with your own populist favorite.  (How many remember winning '05 betting pools  against snooty friends who said "No, gotta be Mystic River...The Academy HATES fantasy, there's no WAY they'd give it to anything as 'trivial' as Return of the King!"?  Me, I remember winning one in college, since Amadeus wasn't considered as "important" a Picture as The Killing Fields, and to this day, there exist people who think The Crying Game should have beaten Unforgiven.)

And while nobody can agree on the #1 Best Picture, there's usually a consensus on what was the hardworking and earnest but dreary #2 Best Picture for the year, meaning the second-place slot ends up getting a higher point tally of votes than the first-place, and, like Aesop's Tortoise, wins for being mediocre.

Last year, we had Ranked Voting as an option for state election candidates as a ballot question, and it was only Oscar geeks like me that knew how to warn newcomers of the lurking danger....

I think you have the year wrong...don't you mean the Awards ceremony of 2004 for the Best Picture of 2003?  In 2005, for the Best Picture of 2004 they picked "Million Dollar Baby", which I think won just because of the drama going on in Florida with the Terri Schiavo case being interfered with by every GOP congressman while the Academy was voting.  That drama certainly made ME set up a medical directive so I could have the right to be unplugged. 

On 4/23/2021 at 9:56 PM, Aritosthenes said:

Shape of Water is EXQUISITE. ..One of the BEST SciFi Films EVER ...

THAT, One... .....They Actually Got RIGHT.. (*For a Remarkable Change...

_

If You Disagree .. ...(then) lets talk it over.....

🙏🥂 .

I disagree. Three Billboards was a better film. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I disagree. Three Billboards was a better film. 

K.

Wont Disagree or Agree with that Yet,.

Thats Step One Though.

Please,.

Explain ... .

🙏

*and in All All Sincerity If Youd Like ill go first..

🙏🙏.

_

Though.. ... i do admit.. ..... Having Francis McD in the Shape of Water, Woulda Been EXTRAORDINARY...

For years, I begged my parents to stay up and watch the Oscars.  Even in the 70's, when it was years before I could be allowed to see Cabaret, French Connection or Clockwork Orange, or even know what those were.  I remember the theme for "Blazing Saddles" being performed for Best Song 1974.

I can not tell you the SHAME with which I had to bail on this year's Oscars after half an hour.   😞  I don't watch socially-persecuted Amazon Prime movies, so I hadn't seen any of the nominees (except for Onward in a theater, one week before the lockdown), hoped to tune in to see some previews of what to rent, and left with a sense of bitter betrayal.

Unfortunately, because of the difficulty in building a big screen in Union Station, they couldn't show any clips, and instead, we get that gushy, mutually-narcissistic "Your performance inspired me..." clip-free Testimonial format for introducing the Acting nominees that died on stage ten years ago and was abandoned, only now, they had to do it for EVERY.  SINGLE.  CATEGORY.  

At least we got some clips for the International Film (wait, what happened to "Foreign Language", I forgot why they changed the name?).  From all the buildup, I was hoping for something a little more "virtual" like the Democratic Convention, where the presenters all film bits on location, and they could throw in a few film clips as well, but this felt like the first time it really was an "Excuse for actors to stroke each other's egos", as the hater-cliche' has it.  

People, wear a mask and get vaccinated, so they can open up the theaters, show real movies again, and we will never, ever again have to deal with the threat of caring about "Promising Young Woman" or "Nomadland".

• Thanks 1