Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

AMPAS doesn't want to get it because they are disconnected liberals. all they are churning out is laughable garbage designed for millennials and generation Xers...

millennials and Generation-Xers do not speak for the whole of America.

the ratings continue to drop because a large portion of anglo-americans have not had any reason to watch that liberal jabberwocky for years!

:)

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

AMPAS doesn't want to get it because they are disconnected liberals. all they are churning out is laughable garbage designed for millennials and generation Xers...

the ratings continue to drop because a large portion has not had any reason to watch that liberal jabberwocky for years!

Politics have nothing to do with it, it's just too long and boring as hell and the films nominated most people have never scene and will never see.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the ratings continue to drop because a large portion of anglo-americans have not had any reason to watch that liberal jabberwocky for years!

Yeah, when is Hollywood going to wake up and make more movies for dead people?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

Two different things.

The laughable garbage being churned isn't likely to be nominated for an Oscar. Those millennials and Generation-Xers, if they leave their parents basements, are going to see Beneath the Planet of Saw Part XVIII. 

The low Academy Award ratings are a direct response to the political liberal jabberwocky being nominated AND being pontificated by those hired to act in those nominations.

I wouldnt say that. Younger people aren't much interested in watching the show or caring who wins (I don't much either) Older people who are more prone to watching this relic dont go out to the movies that much and this past year, no one did! The Oscars just arent relevant to most people anymore. The growth of of other televised award shows that air before the Oscars also factors into this.

• Like 2

The ratings are low for a few reasons....

A. Very few people saw the films. A poll at the end of March found that none of the films had been heard of by even half of the respondants, and the highest watched one (Judas and the Black Messiah) only had a watch rate of 12%

B.  The political angle to a degree. One of the producers of this years ceremony anonymously told The New York Times that studying the minute by minute ratings of past oscars that swaths of people turned out if the speeches turned too political.

C.  The internet makes the hunt for finding out who won much easier. Anybody now can look at Wikipedia or some search engine and find out who won instantaneously. The same would be true even if it was on streaming instead of ABC.

D. The sheer length and size of it all. So many commercials. Still over 3 hours. Trim it down somehow.....

Viewership on the east coast wanes as the night progresses. People have to get up and go to work. Don't understand why they dont do this on Friday or Saturday nights. Just because its a tradition? I remember many years ago the Oscars were shown on Monday nights.....

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Viewership on the east coast wanes as the night progresses. People have to get up and go to work. Don't understand why they dont do this on Friday or Saturday nights. Just because its a tradition? I remember many years ago the Oscars were shown on Monday nights.....

They moved it to Sunday in the late 90s thinking that more people would be watching TV on Sundays instead of Mondays. Personally, given what a wasteland TV is on Saturday night, they should try it there. people would want to watch it more than endless reruns.

And, yes, I predicted Anthony Hopkins would win his Second Oscar. It's kind of like the Juliette Binoche/Lauren Bacall Affair of 1996 or the Olivia Colman/Glenn Close Affair of 2018. In all three cases, the presumed shoo-in was in a film not up for Best Picture, while the ultimate winner was in a Best Picture nominee (or in Binoche's case, the best picture winner). In all three cases, it was considered impossible that someone else would win. hense the curse. Sometimes, when someone is regarded as a foregone conclusion, they begin to vote with their hearts. The LA area has several publications (The LA Times, Variety, Hollywood Reported) who ask a small group of anonymous  Academy members who they are voting for and to share their thoughts about the nominees.  There were 25 ballots made public. Boseman had 8. Hopkins had 13. All of the Hopkins voters basically had the same tune as "I know Chadwick will win, but I was so impressed by Anthony Hopkins that I threw my vote to him" And two of the other nominees didn't get any votes at all. Plus, the BAFTAs gave Anthony their win and there is a pretty large British flank in the Academy, so it was really an upset waiting to happen.

I glimpsed the Oscar show from time to time. I haven't seen any of the movies. I actually liked the absence of banter. Quite honestly, I could have done with less politics, even though I generally agreed with the politics expressed.

One thing comes to mind: The producers really DON'T know the winners in advance. If they arranged for Best Actor to end the evening, thinking that Chadwick Boseman would win, they could have easily switched back to the usual order, if they knew that Anthony Hopkins would win. So I guess the ballots are really secret!

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

What the...?  I didn't hear anything even remotely close to that.  Are you reacting such because TYLER PERRY is black?  What's wrong with him relating his own memories and experience?   I heard TYLER PERRY speak repeatedly about REFUSING TO HATE... he REFUSES to hate... Asian, white, black, a cop, LGBTQ...?  What could possibly be wrong with that? 

I'm gonna give Nip the benefit of the doubt here Allhallows (although why I am, I really don't know) and say that the more salient reason he had for his "throwing shade" at Mr. Perry was because he's now considered a member of the "Hollywood Establishment", and I think you know how Nip feels about them, don't ya.

(...oh, and maybe also because even though I understand Mr. Perry has stated that he's a devout Christian, because he generally is NOT also a conservative when it comes social and cultural matters, this probably also grates on our friend Nip's nerves a bit too)

7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

And, yes, I predicted Anthony Hopkins would win his Second Oscar. It's kind of like the Juliette Binoche/Lauren Bacall Affair of 1996 or the Olivia Colman/Glenn Close Affair of 2018. In all three cases, the presumed shoo-in was in a film not up for Best Picture, while the ultimate winner was in a Best Picture nominee (or in Binoche's case, the best picture winner). In all three cases, it was considered impossible that someone else would win. hense the curse. Sometimes, when someone is regarded as a foregone conclusion, they begin to vote with their hearts. The LA area has several publications (The LA Times, Variety, Hollywood Reported) who ask a small group of anonymous  Academy members who they are voting for and to share their thoughts about the nominees.  There were 25 ballots made public. Boseman had 8. Hopkins had 13. All of the Hopkins voters basically had the same tune as "I know Chadwick will win, but I was so impressed by Anthony Hopkins that I threw my vote to him" And two of the other nominees didn't get any votes at all. Plus, the BAFTAs gave Anthony their win and there is a pretty large British flank in the Academy, so it was really an upset waiting to happen.

Our Sunday paper included anonymous interviews of three Academy voters about their votes for the top five categories. For Best Actor, the first picked Riz Ahmed; the second picked Anthony Hopkins; the third picked Anthony Hopkins and said he thought Boseman's performance was "terrible."

I'll admit not wanting to see any movies about dementia, no matter how brilliantly played by any actor.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SECOND ASSISTANT

YES, Sir, they've called and they want you to make an acceptance speech on video.

SIR ANTHONY

GOD****IT!!! I didn't ASK for this BULL****!

I was hoping for one of those Anthony Hopkins moments in every film (yes even "Thor"), where Crazy Tony indulges his dark/sadistic bully-actor acting demons, and, at some point, snaps and starts literally barking at the poor other actors with psychotic intensity:

"I regret that, owing to travel problems during our current pandemic troubles--and, of course, the problems of old age--I am unable to be there to accept this award in person, since you're...GIVING IT!!!...in a G**-***N!...TRAIN!...STATION!!!"

Even odder was Joaquin Phoenix's out-of-it response, as a more professional actor could have at least ad-libbed a few words of thanks on Hopkins' behalf:  "I mean, they take the liver from the calves when they're still young, and serve it with fava beans and a nice Chianti!..."

-----

As for, as Jimmy Kimmel joked, "How could something so Woke put us to sleep?", I liked that the final last touch on the train wreck was karmic revenge for other years when they thought they had a surefire Inspirational winner--Like the year the Ceremony was so tomorrow's-headline convinced that "12 Years a Slave" was going to walk home with everything, the entire evening was themed as a "Tribute to unsung ethnic heroes", with the obvious Picture winner as climax.

Here, they'd planned the evening as the George Floyd Memorial Service to Chadwick Boseman, even giving Best Actor higher billing as the last award of the evening as a fitting climax over Picture, and....OOPS-ieee!  That, as they say, Is Showbiz.  😁

At least this year's Oscars may give comfort to Whoopi Goldberg, David Letterman, Seth MacFarlane, James Franco & Anne Hathaway, as they could all sleep soundly that night knowing they were no longer responsible for the Worst Oscar Ceremony in History.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, kingrat said:

Our Sunday paper included anonymous interviews of three Academy voters about their votes for the top five categories. For Best Actor, the first picked Riz Ahmed; the second picked Anthony Hopkins; the third picked Anthony Hopkins and said he thought Boseman's performance was "terrible."

I'll admit not wanting to see any movies about dementia, no matter how brilliantly played by any actor.

JUICY!!!

Reading this, it’s obvious the producers should’ve read the room. I know from experience that everyone in Hollywood talks about who they’re voting for, and they really should’ve been able to have gotten a better consensus to know that it wasn’t worth risking putting best actor on last.

I am 100% with you or not wanting to see any movies about dementia, but now that I’ve read that someone thought Boseman’s performance was “terrible“, I’m genuinely intrigued about MA RAINEY....

All you have to do is go on about how bad something is, and my interest peaks exponentially.

17 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Is there anyway the producers could release what would have been the aired remarks from Chadwick's widow?

I'm sure they would have been quite moving.

Sorry...

Not Sorry.....

Part of me is kind of wondering if they had planned a great big TRIBUTE TO CHADWICK production number to end on and had it all cued up behind the curtain, with THE SOLID GOLD DANCERS dressed as his various characters, all just standing there stupefied like “so are we not doin this now or what?!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1