Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

And Jermaine and Pia Zadora were to reunite to sing live their duet "When the Rain Begins to Fall" from the soundtrack to "Voyage of the Rock Aliens" scheduled for special edition DVD release this week with cast and director commentary. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I was hoping for one of those Anthony Hopkins moments in every film (yes even "Thor"), where Crazy Tony indulges his dark/sadistic bully-actor acting demons, and, at some point, snaps and starts literally barking at the poor other actors with psychotic intensity:

"I regret that, owing to travel problems during our current pandemic troubles--and, of course, the problems of old age--I am unable to be there to accept this award in person, since you're...GIVING IT!!!...in a G**-***N!...TRAIN!...STATION!!!"

Even odder was Joaquin Phoenix's out-of-it response, as a more professional actor could have at least ad-libbed a few words of thanks on Hopkins' behalf:  "I mean, they take the liver from the calves when they're still young, and serve it with fava beans and a nice Chianti!..."

-----

As for, as Jimmy Kimmel joked, "How could something so Woke put us to sleep?", I liked that the final last touch on the train wreck was karmic revenge for other years when they thought they had a surefire Inspirational winner--Like the year the Ceremony was so tomorrow's-headline convinced that "12 Years a Slave" was going to walk home with everything, the entire evening was themed as a "Tribute to unsung ethnic heroes", with the obvious Picture winner as climax.

Here, they'd planned the evening as the George Floyd Memorial Service to Chadwick Boseman, even giving Best Actor higher billing as the last award of the evening as a fitting climax over Picture, and....OOPS-ieee!  That, as they say, Is Showbiz.  😁

At least this year's Oscars may give comfort to Whoopi Goldberg, David Letterman, Seth MacFarlane, James Franco & Anne Hathaway, as they could all sleep soundly that night knowing they were no longer responsible for the Worst Oscar Ceremony in History.

Apparently HOPKINS Was diagnosed as autistic around 2017, I read an article about it this morning.

(He’s making minor history as the first openly autistic actor to win.)

49 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

And Jermaine and Pia Zadora were to reunite to sing live their duet "When the Rain Begins to Fall" from the soundtrack to "Voyage of the Rock Aliens" scheduled for special edition DVD release this week with cast and director commentary. 

AND LASERS AND DRY ICE!!!! 
And a giant neon set of “the coconut grove” rises....

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Part of me is kind of wondering if they had planned a great big TRIBUTE TO CHADWICK production number to end on and had it all cued up behind the curtain, with THE SOLID GOLD DANCERS dressed as his various characters, all just standing there stupefied like “so are we not doin this now or what?!”

Lorna, aren't the Solid Gold dancers all in their 60s by now? But then that production number would have been emblematic of the entire event wouldn't it? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Part of me is kind of wondering if they had planned a great big TRIBUTE TO CHADWICK production number to end on and had it all cued up behind the curtain, with THE SOLID GOLD DANCERS dressed as his various characters, all just standing there stupefied like “so are we not doin this now or what?!”

Now, I would have paid real money to see that!

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

They moved it to Sunday in the late 90s thinking that more people would be watching TV on Sundays instead of Mondays. Personally, given what a wasteland TV is on Saturday night, they should try it there. people would want to watch it more than endless reruns.

Agree. With ratings like this, what do they have to lose? Back when they were on Mondays, the show only ran 2 hrs or so. The good old days!

From the Wikipedia:

"Historically, the telecast's viewership is higher when box-office hits are favored to win the Best Picture award. More than 57.25 million viewers tuned to the telecast for the 70th Academy Awards in 1998, the year of Titanic, which generated a box office haul during its initial 1997–98 run of US$600.8 million in the US, a box office record that would remain unsurpassed for years.[81] The 76th Academy Awards ceremony, in which The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (pre-telecast box office earnings of US$368 million) received 11 Awards including Best Picture, drew 43.56 million viewers.[82] The most watched ceremony based on Nielsen ratings to date, however, was the 42nd Academy Awards (Best Picture Midnight Cowboy) which drew a 43.4% household rating on April 7, 1970.[83]

By contrast, ceremonies honoring films that have not performed well at the box office tend to show weaker ratings, despite how much critically acclaimed those films have been. The 78th Academy Awards which awarded low-budget independent film Crash (with a pre-Oscar gross of US$53.4 million) generated an audience of 38.64 million with a household rating of 22.91%.[84] In 2008, the 80th Academy Awards telecast was watched by 31.76 million viewers on average with an 18.66% household rating, the lowest-rated and least-watched ceremony at the time, in spite of celebrating 80 years of the Academy Awards.[85] The Best Picture winner of that particular ceremony was another independent film (No Country for Old Men).

The 92nd Academy Awards drew an average of 23.6 million viewers—a new low."

It looks like this Wikipedia article will need to be altered. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, even before Sunday night's Oscar debacle the show was on life support.  I KNOW that The Academy clings to this telecast because it is (seemingly) the only way they funnel significant dollars into The Academy but, it's over guys.  Give it up.  Find another way to make money.  The show has been pretty much a disaster for years and the more you mess with it (no host, no production numbers, no film clips, super sped-up In Memoriams, etc) the worse it gets.  Go back to the early days of the Oscars where everybody already knew who won and you celebrated with a nice little dinner for the chosen few.  And, for God sake's stop saying:  "And, the Oscar goes to . . . " It's a competition and everybody knows it.   Say:  "And, the winner is . . . . "

The Hollywood Reporter's take on the Great Sunday Night Disaster:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-2021-analysis-how-chadwick-lost-frances-won-and-the-oscars-went-off-the-rails

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

JUICY!!!

Reading this, it’s obvious the producers should’ve read the room. I know from experience that everyone in Hollywood talks about who they’re voting for, and they really should’ve been able to have gotten a better consensus to know that it wasn’t worth risking putting best actor on last.

I am 100% with you or not wanting to see any movies about dementia, but now that I’ve read that someone thought Boseman’s performance was “terrible“, I’m genuinely intrigued about MA RAINEY....

All you have to do is go on about how bad something is, and my interest peaks exponentially.

I know how you feel! Some friends saw Ma Rainey and were not impressed by the movie, though they didn't describe anything about it as terrible.

I'm loving all your posts about the postponed tribute.

• Thanks 1

It was just as bad as they've always been.  What you saw was what remains when they strip out the overlong production numbers, the lame host jokes, the silly presenter's banter, and clips.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Apparently HOPKINS Was diagnosed as autistic around 2017, I read an article about it this morning.

(He’s making minor history as the first openly autistic actor to win.)

Wait, Hopkins is autistic?  I didn't even think he LIKED Disney movies!...We should have had him guest on the Muppet Show when we had the chance!   😛

(Oh well, he's British, maybe he's annoyingly obsessed with Roland Rat, or something...)

Always thought Hopkins had those creepy Hannibal crazy-eyes, even back in the 70's when he was a lil' psycho kid in "Audrey Rose" and "Magic".  Even his "Elephant Man" doctor got to have his big Hopkins moment barking at Freddie Jones.

12 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

It was just as bad as they've always been.  What you saw was what remains when they strip out the overlong production numbers, the lame host jokes, the silly presenter's banter, and clips.

Okay, know how that other creaking old time-honored Oscar-hater cliche' is "Hour-long maudlin speeches by actors thanking every person they've ever met"?  
Now imagine if the pandemic was forced to strip out the orchestra that mercifully bum's-rushes them off the stage after two minutes by drowning them out, and the screenwriter of "Promising Young Woman" is actually allowed to ramble on for an hour...

6 hours ago, lydecker said:

Honestly, even before Sunday night's Oscar debacle the show was on life support.  I KNOW that The Academy clings to this telecast because it is (seemingly) the only way they funnel significant dollars into The Academy but, it's over guys.  Give it up.  Find another way to make money.  The show has been pretty much a disaster for years and the more you mess with it (no host, no production numbers, no film clips, super sped-up In Memoriams, etc) the worse it gets.  

They keep blaming the length, the host, or our old traumatic demons over Debbie Allen's "Dance tribute to Saving Private Ryan" from 1998, and stubbornly, almost willfully, refuse to admit that Oscar ceremony TV ratings tank in the years when people don't want to tune in in the first place.  And that the three sole reasons viewers don't want to tune in continue to be:

1. The movies.
  2. The MOVIES.
  3. ...THE MOVIES!!!

We want Oscar nominees, not Golden Globe buzz-bait or gay-road-trip NBOR arthouse indies.  No one tuned in to watch Birdman beat Tree of Life.  No one tuned in to watch Moonlight beat LaLaLand, or vice versa. 

And no one...no one...NO ONE watches Prime movies and knew that "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" or "Nomadland" was an actual thing.  If it plays theaters, it's a movie; if it plays HBO, it's the Ace Awards.

Even hiring Chris Rock or Seth MacFarlane as sportscaster could not save the ratings of a Seattle Seahawks vs. NY Giants Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Without those, it ought to be 45 minutes long. In this of all years, they should have included clips from the nominated films, because so few people have seen any of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Academy  really should re-think how they do things before they embarrass themselves any further. After all, the variety show went the way of the dinosaur in 1978 with the cancellation of the Carol Burnett show.

Also, I'm really glad that Robert Osborne isn't alive to see any of this. I think it would really bug him to see his beloved Oscars take such a fall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

The Academy  really should re-think how they do things before they embarrass themselves any further. After all, the variety show went the way of the dinosaur in 1978 with the cancellation of the Carol Burnett show.

Also, I'm really glad that Robert Osborne isn't alive to see any of this. I think it would really bug him to see his beloved Oscars take such a fall. 

I would think he (Robert Osborne) would have been upset at de Havilland not getting a little bit more love in the Lightning Round "In Memorium."

They certainly hovered on the last two MEN in the line-up. Olivia de Havilland changed the studio system and the face of Hollywood to the good forever due to her breaking the hold of the contract system in her landmark court case.

• Like 1

I’m too lazy to fact check this on Google, but if memory serves me correctly both Glenn Close and Francis McDormand were nominees at the 1988 Oscars, The one  infamously produced by Allen Carr That opened with a production number that really must be seen to be believed, and even then I’m not sure.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Your memory is correct.  Glenn was nominated for "Dangerous Liaisons, Frances for "Mississippi Burning".

1017299-61st-annual-academy-awards-governors-ball.jpg

rs_1024x759-210419195005-1024-Frances-McDormand-mp.jpg

Thank you, To be honest, I wasn’t entirely correct, I  thought it was for MISSISSIPPI LIAISONS and DANGEROUS BURNING. 

im gettin old. 

ps- LOVE THE BLACK LACE ON GLENN HERE!!!!

pss- I remember the minor fashion furor that Michelle Pfeiffer caused when she showed up to the ceremony wearing this off the rack 1980’s power suit for women. Oh well, with a face like that if you want to get your shoppertunity at Marshall’s you go right ahead.

Just now, Roy Cronin said:

I think this was also the year Demi Moore wore the bicycle shorts?  Ah, the Golden Olden Days of Classic Hollywood. 

It’s gotten  hard to find pictures from the 1980s and 90s ceremonies online. I use Google images and Bing images, but a lot of them seem to have vanished.