Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

Your memory is correct.  Glenn was nominated for "Dangerous Liaisons" , Frances for "Mississippi Burning".

1017299-61st-annual-academy-awards-governors-ball.jpg

rs_1024x759-210419195005-1024-Frances-McDormand-mp.jpg

I thought Glenn should've won that year........

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I agree.  "Dangerous Liaisons" should have been Glenn's year.

I think she was 7 or 8 months pregnant for the "Fatal Attraction" show.

Sadly, the Academy doesn't like to give awards to "villains"....

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well, fictional ones...

in all honesty though, since i wrote this, I've been thinking:

the FIRST BEST ACTOR EVER (EMIL JANNINGS) later became an avowed NAZI, it has been alleged WALLACE BEERY killed a man, there are TWO male oscar winners i can think of who committed vehicular homicide and another who is alleged to have, GEORGE C. SCOTT was a woman beater, DUSTIN HOFFMAN appears to be a terrible person, and anything you had to tell me about MARLON BRANDO- I would believe.

and then there's GIG YOUNG.

And RICHARD DREYFUSS (who insofar as I know has never killed anyone, I just put him down for being RICHARD DREYFUSS.)

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Do Post #MeToo sexual misconduct allegations count?  Then one can start a list with a number of Best Actor winners....

that was the reason i included DUSTIN.

I read some TOE CURLING STUFF about him when the METOO DAM BUSTED!

Still love TOOTSIE though.

• Like 1

Glenn was exceptional in Dangerous Liaisons, but she suffered from a botched last-second release of the film from Warner Bros. In 1988, all five Best Picture nominees came out in December.... But for some reason, WB missed the deadline for eligibility at the Golden Globes that year, and Liaisons was disqualified. When the Globes were held, there was a three way tie for Best Drama actress, one of whom was the ultimate Oscar winner Jodie Foster in The Accused. Foster then received a lot of press about her daring role and her comeback of sorts, and the result was that even though Liaisons picked up a lot of steam toward the end of voting, it was not enough to surpass the sudden Foster groundswell.

As for this year's Oscars, I think that it was downright insulting that Mank won for cinematography. It is one of the worst-photographed films I have ever seen, and an insult to the great black and white photography of classic Hollywood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
22 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

The Academy  really should re-think how they do things before they embarrass themselves any further. After all, the variety show went the way of the dinosaur in 1978 with the cancellation of the Carol Burnett show.

I placed it more at 1981, with the decline of the Muppet Show's fifth season, and officially buried by that Dolly Parton attempt.

I once blogged several theories, in fact:  One of them being the decline of Broadway and the rise of songwriters, which made it more difficult for generic singers to do "a" popular song in a generic musical number...Another being Paul McCartney & Wings' old Beatles phobia of touring, which led them to send filmed appearances around to 70's variety shows, which helped created the MTV music video as we know it.  Another being the changing nature of comedy even before SNL became a thing (anyone remember the first year SNL had to call itself just "Saturday Night", as the Live name was already being used by an ABC Howard Cosell variety show starring "the Prime Time Players"?), as the first new emerging cult of underground Monty Python fans caused even some of Donny & Marie's writers to start abstractly linking comedy sketches together, and fourth-wall abandoning their premises as "too silly".

That said, I'm still watching Carol Burnett on PlutoTV, but nothing could strap me to a chair to watch "Nomadland".  🤢 (Which, like most other people now rushing to rent nominees after the win, I hadn't bothered to go see yet.

Oh, and so it's not a total loss:

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

As for this year's Oscars, I think that it was downright insulting that Mank won for cinematography. It is one of the worst-photographed films I have ever seen, and an insult to the great black and white photography of classic Hollywood.

I haven’t heard much about that movie, but what I have has not been kind. 
EDIT: I should say “read” not “heard.” I haven’t been talking to anyone...

On 4/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, txfilmfan said:

It was just as bad as they've always been.  What you saw was what remains when they strip out the overlong production numbers, the lame host jokes, the silly presenter's banter, and clips.

I think it was better than most Oscar shows.  Do people think the Oscars are great TV?  I liked the intimate people-at-dinner-table setting.  Next year they should actually serve dinner, I want to see somebody with a drink in his hand get an Oscar.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Vidor said:

I think it was better than most Oscar shows.  Do people think the Oscars are great TV?  I liked the intimate people-at-dinner-table setting.  Next year they should actually serve dinner, I want to see somebody with a drink in his hand get an Oscar.

Watch the Golden Globes, which is still done as an old-school 30's banquet awards, and the nominees show up for the free drinks.  And by the second half of the evening, boy do they ever.   🥴  Some of the most entertaining acceptance speeches you'll ever hear, if you stick around long enough.

As for whether the Oscars are good TV, that depends on whether A) you get Billy Crystal to host, B ) you get Steve Martin to host, and/or C) remember that the evening is full of trade people who DON'T have Millennial cineplex-rage issues against the movies, thank you, and like being told that their profession contributed something classic to American culture.  So dig out the AFI 100 clips, and show the acting nominees.

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

I placed it more at 1981, with the decline of the Muppet Show's fifth season, and officially buried by that Dolly Parton attempt.

I once blogged several theories, in fact:  One of them being the decline of Broadway and the rise of songwriters, which made it more difficult for generic singers to do "a" popular song in a generic musical number...Another being Paul McCartney & Wings' old Beatles phobia of touring, which led them to send filmed appearances around to 70's variety shows, which helped created the MTV music video as we know it.  Another being the changing nature of comedy even before SNL became a thing (anyone remember the first year SNL had to call itself just "Saturday Night", as the Live name was already being used by an ABC Howard Cosell variety show starring "the Prime Time Players"?), as the first new emerging cult of underground Monty Python fans caused even some of Donny & Marie's writers to start abstractly linking comedy sketches together, and fourth-wall abandoning their premises as "too silly".

That said, I'm still watching Carol Burnett on PlutoTV, but nothing could strap me to a chair to watch "Nomadland".  🤢 (Which, like most other people now rushing to rent nominees after the win, I hadn't bothered to go see yet.

Oh, and so it's not a total loss:

now there is an actor with true class so very unlike the cheesecake lulus that are passed off today as actors.

three cheers for Anthony Hopkins.

I've just read some articles about Alan Carr's Oscar show which, quite frankly,  I didn't think was that terrible.

However,  apparently he's the one who initiated the "...and the Oscar goes to..." bull nonsense,  so deduct points for that.

It's well known that the "establishment" was appalled,  spearheaded by Gregory Peck, former Academy President.  And Disney's faux outrage, while Mouseketeers were scribbling notes in advance of the Broadway invasion.

But I read that Jennifer Jones secretly delivered Carr a note expressing her enjoyment of the entertainment.   (There was probably a lot of that, behind closed doors. )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've just read some articles about Alan Carr's Oscar show which, quite frankly,  I didn't think was that terrible.

However,  apparently he's the one who initiated the "...and the Oscar goes to..." bull nonsense,  so deduct points for that.

It's well known that the "establishment" was appalled,  spearheaded by Gregory Peck, former Academy President.  And Disney's faux outrage, while Mouseketeers were scribbling notes in advance of the Broadway invasion.

But I read that Jennifer Jones secretly delivered Carr a note expressing her enjoyment of the entertainment.   (There was probably a lot of that, behind closed doors. )

INSIDE OSCAR has a really great entry on it.

And the footage is available on youtube.

RONALD REAGAN was also on the record as saying he was a fan of the 1988 show.

ONE THING I WILL BET YOU....

With her THIRD BEST ACTRESS OSCAR and now ONE FOR PRODUCING AS WELL, we are going to be seeing, within the next 2-3 years, THE MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECT TO END ALL MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECTS coming from FRANCES MACDORMAND.

something delicious in its avarice and tone-deaf presentation, like, maybe she'll get that LENI REIFENSTAHL biopic that JODIE'S PEOPLE managed to talk her out of for years off the ground; maybe she'll be a GUITAR-PLAYING FRENCH-CANADIAN NUN saving a band of deaf and blind aboriginal children from an Australian wildfire, maybe a PANSEXUAL WICCAN POTTERY TEACHER IN TAOS  who organizes and single-handedly saves an indigenous tribe  by teaching them how to bedazzle yoga mats for a living...?

disclaimer: I cannot stand FRANCES MACDORMAND and I have never been able to stand FRANCES MACDORMAND. IF YOU DO- that's fine, it is a free country.

ps- she looked like WILLAM DEFOE in an off-the-rack schmatte from TJ MAXX.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I was really looking forward to this film but I swear, no one today can do "period" stuff.  It's always a caricature of that time.  And the dialogue in this film:  "Oh, there goes the Boy Wonder, Irving Thalberg . . . " As though any insider would ever say anything that lame.  The whole film was a disaster and it didn't need to be.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ONE THING I WILL BET YOU....

With her THIRD BEST ACTRESS OSCAR and now ONE FOR PRODUCING AS WELL, we are going to be seeing, within the next 2-3 years, THE MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECT TO END ALL MISGUIDED VANITY PROJECTS coming from FRANCES MACDORMAND.

something delicious in its avarice and tone-deaf presentation, like, maybe she'll get that LENI REIFENSTAHL biopic that JODIE'S PEOPLE managed to talk her out of for years off the ground; maybe she'll be a GUITAR-PLAYING FRENCH-CANADIAN NUN saving a band of deaf and blind aboriginal children from an Australian wildfire, maybe a PANSEXUAL WICCAN POTTERY TEACHER IN TAOS  who organizes and single-handedly saves an indigenous tribe  by teaching them how to bedazzle yoga mats for a living...?

disclaimer: I cannot stand FRANCES MACDORMAND and I have never been able to stand FRANCES MACDORMAND. IF YOU DO- that's fine, it is a free country.

ps- she looked like WILLAM DEFOE in an off-the-rack schmatte from TJ MAXX.

I've never cared for her either. I know it's tacky sounding, but I hate looking at her.  Nothing to do with her acting. Something wrong when someone like Bette Davis only wound up with 2 Oscars and McDormand has 3 already. :( I thought she did deserve it for 3 Billboards, but NOT Fargo......Havent seen this one.

Just now, Hibi said:

I've never cared for her either. I know it's tacky sounding, but I hate looking at her.  Nothing to do with her acting. Something wrong when someone like Bette Davis only wound up with 2 Oscars and McDormand has 3 already. :( I thought she did deserve it for 3 Billboards, but NOT Fargo......Havent seen this one.

What was with her wolf howling at the Oscars? (I havent watched it yet) That alone should've disqualifed her. They should have taken back the award! :D