Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How low do you think the ratings of this weekend's OSCARCAST are going to be?

8 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've just read some articles about Alan Carr's Oscar show which, quite frankly,  I didn't think was that terrible.

However,  apparently he's the one who initiated the "...and the Oscar goes to..." bull nonsense,  so deduct points for that.

It's well known that the "establishment" was appalled,  spearheaded by Gregory Peck, former Academy President.  And Disney's faux outrage, while Mouseketeers were scribbling notes in advance of the Broadway invasion.

But I read that Jennifer Jones secretly delivered Carr a note expressing her enjoyment of the entertainment.   (There was probably a lot of that, behind closed doors. )

I didn't think it was that bad either. He never lived down his producing that show. His career was never the same.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Glenn was exceptional in Dangerous Liaisons, but she suffered from a botched last-second release of the film from Warner Bros. In 1988, all five Best Picture nominees came out in December.... But for some reason, WB missed the deadline for eligibility at the Golden Globes that year, and Liaisons was disqualified. When the Globes were held, there was a three way tie for Best Drama actress, one of whom was the ultimate Oscar winner Jodie Foster in The Accused. Foster then received a lot of press about her daring role and her comeback of sorts, and the result was that even though Liaisons picked up a lot of steam toward the end of voting, it was not enough to surpass the sudden Foster groundswell.

I hadn't heard about this. I was shocked  when Foster won. I thought Glenn had an uphill battle as the character was so unlikeable, but I would've picked others above Foster even w/out Glenn being in that category!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

INSIDE OSCAR has a really great entry on it.

And the footage is available on youtube.

RONALD REAGAN was also on the record as saying he was a fan of the 1988 show.

LOL. I didn't know that about Reagan! Carr did go for the old Hollywood glamour glitz routine and there were a lot of older stars  on the show if I remember correctly.

On Jezebel, which is a reasonably popular website whose daily articles generate between 100-400 (moderator approved) responses from readers on average, their three articles on Sunday’s show have generated 4, 5, and 7 replies. And it’s Thursday afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I hadn't heard about this. I was shocked  when Foster won. I thought Glenn had an uphill battle as the character was so unlikeable, but I would've picked others above Foster even w/out Glenn being in that category!

1988 was one of the strongest years ever in the history of the best actress lineup, honestly all five nominees deserved their nomination, I understand why Jodie won, but it should’ve been GLENN. 
I was only 10 years old when DANGEROUS LIAISONS came out, and I still remember EVERYONE TALKIG ABOUT IT. 

(I’m sorry because I’m on my phone and I can’t do the capitalization properly but) 

besides FOSTER in THE ACCUSED and CLOSE in LIAISONS, The other nominees were Meryl Streep in “a cry in the dark”, Melanie Griffith in “working girl” and Sigourney Weaver in “”gorillas in the mist.“

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1988 was one of the strongest years ever in the history of the best actress lineup, honestly all five nominees deserved their nomination, I understand why Jodie won, but it should’ve been GLENN. 
I was only 10 years old when DANGEROUS LIAISONS came out, and I still remember EVERYONE TALKIG ABOUT IT. 

(I’m sorry because I’m on my phone and I can’t do the capitalization properly but) 

besides FOSTER in THE ACCUSED and CLOSE in LIAISONS, The other nominees were Meryl Streep in “a cry in the dark”, Melanie Griffith in “working girl” and Sigourney Weaver in “”gorillas in the mist.“

Meryl would've been my 2nd choice or even a tie.

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Liasons got shafted in other ways too. No DIRECTOR nomination or cinematography???? One could make a case for other categories too.

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1988 was a helluva year. I just was doing top 20s for each year of the 80s for another thread here and it was hard leaving off at 20 for 1988. The oscar lineup was good, personal actress lineup would be something like:
Glenn Close/Dangerous Liaisons
Christine Lahti/Running on Empty
Shirley MacLaine/Madame Sousatzka
Gena Rowlands/Another Woman
Meryl Streep/A Cry in the Dark

Plus you then have the other Oscar nominees, and Melanie Griffith's other 1988 performance (Stormy Monday), plus sterling work from Michelle Pfeiffer (Married to the Mob), Carmen Maura (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown), Isabella Rossellini (Zelly and Me), Amy Irving (Crossing Delancey), Jodhi May (A World Apart), Barbara Hershey (Beaches), Annabeth Gish (Mystic Pizza) oy where to stop.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

On Jezebel, which is a reasonably popular website whose daily articles generate between 100-400 (moderator approved) responses from readers on average, their three articles on Sunday’s show have generated 4, 5, and 7 replies. And it’s Thursday afternoon. 

LOL. What is Jezebel? A movie site?

Just now, Hibi said:

Liasons got shafted in other ways too. No DIRECTOR nomination or cinematography???? One could make a case for other categories too.

Other than to get back at the protesters, the directing nomination for The Last Temptation of Christ was inexplicable given that the Academy shut it out in every other category. Stephen Frears for Liasions would have been a much more likely pick for a nomination.

I'd forgotten about World Apart. It won at Cannes for Barbara Hershey but the Oscars ignored it. They were both great.

2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Barbara Hershey was so ignored and unappreciated ...."Hannah and Her Sisters ", "Black Swan"  were nomination worthy.

One would have thought that she would have received nominations for either of those films, or several others as well.... Her only nomination came for The Portrait of a Lady where she gave the standout performance of a truly exceptional cast.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

What was with her wolf howling at the Oscars? (I havent watched it yet) That alone should've disqualifed her. They should have taken back the award! :D

I’ve just read that Frances did the wolf howl to honor the production sound mixer on the film, Michael Wolf Snyder, who died in March.  The article stated he’d committed suicide, after suffering from depression for many years.  It said his death was noted in the telecast’s In Memoriam segment, as well.  I had no idea at the time that it was anything more than Frances just being Frances.

• Haha 1

The other really noteworthy thing about the 1988 best actress lineup was that all five of them were the lead of their film, the main character of their film, although I guess you could argue that that wasn’t exactly the case with Glenn Close, but she certainly had a huge presence in the film and was (I would say) in at least 80% of it. But the other four nominees were on screen for 95% of their films or more. 

1 minute ago, darrylfxanax said:

I’ve just read that Frances did the wolf howl to honor the production sound mixer on the film, Michael Wolf Snyder, who died in March.  The article stated he’d committed suicide, after suffering from depression for many years.  It said his death was noted in the telecast’s In Memoriam segment, as well.  I had no idea at the time that it was anything more than Frances just being Frances.

I read that too. 

5 minutes ago, darrylfxanax said:

I see. Didn't know that. Sad.

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The other really noteworthy thing about the 1988 best actress lineup was that all five of them were the lead of their film, the main character of their film, although I guess you could argue that that wasn’t exactly the case with Glenn Close, but she certainly had a huge presence in the film and was (I would say) in at least 80% of it. But the other four nominees were on screen for 95% of their films or more. 

I think she had more screen time than Michelle Pfeiffer so I'd say she was the lead. I havent seen it in a long time though. Has TCM ever shown it? I saw it on tv once, can't remember where.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That is a strong group, and as you said, they all have lead roles. A Cry in the Dark is one of Meryl Streep's greatest performances, but it's easy to see why the film wasn't more popular. It's anything but a feel-good film, as an unlikable, domineering blue collar woman with a high opinion of herself is wrongly accused of a horrible crime, and she isn't changed, saved, or redeemed by the experience. The contrast with Foster in The Accused makes it easy to see why that character-arc and performance was more popular with the average Oscar voter.

IIRC, there was an early Oscar buzz for Sigourney Weaver (biographical; sympathetic role) and then because she also had a supporting nod for Working Girl, she was a favorite to win for supporting actress because others who had been nominated in both  categories had won for supporting (Barry Fitzgerald, Teresa Wright). Melanie Griffith had all the "emerging as a big star" buzz and for a while she was considered a strong contender, as Working Girl was a big hit. Griffith then made some duds--one will be shown on TCM in June: The Bonfire of the Vanities--and instead of a star she was suddenly a joke. Geena Davis had a similar career path.

Ya know, I've often wondered if Glenn Close had been born in Greenwich England instead of Greenwich Connecticut, if she'd already have three or four of these little statuettes sitting on her mantel at home.

(...and seein' as how it seems those superfluous-u spelling actors from over there have always so impressed The Academy's membership)

• Thanks 1

Wow. 

22.6 million people watched JOE BIDEN address Congress. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Joe Biden, and only very recently have stopped hugging the TV and lightly crying every time he’s on, but the man is not exactly ELECTRIC SEX when it comes to public speaking. 

And yet, twice as many people willingly sat through the entire thing than did the 93rd Oscars, And what’s more, apparently 85% of them approved of what they saw.

that HAS to SMART. 

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wow. 

22.6 million people watched JOE BIDEN address Congress. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Joe Biden, and only very recently have stopped hugging the TV and lightly crying every time he’s on, but the man is not exactly ELECTRIC SEX when it comes to public speaking. 

And yet, twice as many people willingly sat through the entire thing than did the 93rd Oscars. 

Well yeah but how many networks interrupted programming to show the Oscars? I tuned in to Joe, but was interrupted by a tornado warning that lasted half an hour. So instead, I got the American tornado shelter plan.