Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They Teamed Only Once and Should Have Teamed Again.

lydecker

I was recently watching "Star of Midnight," a major favorite of mine and, once again, just loved William Powell & Ginger Rogers as a team.  What a shame that they never teamed again. Ditto for Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington who had amazing chemistry in "The Pelican Brief."

What other great screen teams can you think of that only teamed once?

Lydecker

• Like 8

Roz Russell & Cary Grant only costarred in HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940).

Ginger Rogers & Henry Fonda are superb in a 20 minute segment of TALES OF MANHATTAN (1942). Why they didn't get their own movie is a mystery.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.05.16 AM

Julie Harris & James Dean were not able to re-team after EAST OF EDEN (1955).

Mary McDonnell & Kevin Costner were great in DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990). Too bad they haven't made any more films together.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

I was recently watching "Star of Midnight," a major favorite of mine and, once again, just loved William Powell & Ginger Rogers as a team.  What a shame that they never teamed again. Ditto for Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington who had amazing chemistry in "The Pelican Brief."

What other great screen teams can you think of that only teamed once?

Lydecker

Another Awesome, Topic; Here Sir.

👍👍👍👍👊👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

_

Can Think of a couple.. .. ..offhand ....

*several.. will be newer ...

. ... .. ..... .......

Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck. -

-- So.. ..Both These Performers are in TWO Features 2Together.. Aint Them Bodies Saints and A Ghost Story ...

B. OTH .. ...Are TRANSCENDENTAL (However) and They +Should Be Paired Together +Much More..

_

.Denzel Washington & Mrk Wahlberg. -

-- 2Guns

_

.Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

_

.Noomi Rapace and Colin Ferrell (sp). -

-- Dead Man Down

_

.Noomi Rapace and William Defoe. -

-- What Happened to Monday

_

.Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth. -

-- The Railway Man

_

.Rooney Mara and Jouaquim Phoenix*.

-- Mary Magdalene

_

.Marion CotIlard and Jouaquim Phoenix*.

-- The Immigrant

_

.Jouaquim Phoenix (*sp). and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

-- theMaster

_

Saoirse Ronan and Kate Winslet.

-- Ammonite

As with Your Other (Excellant,. 🍻🥂👏👏👏) Wittisism Post, Sir.. ... .....there might VERY WELL.. ...Be +More Where This Comes From...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ryl00 said:

It's a shame Humphrey Bogart and Barbara Stanwyck only paired up in THE TWO MRS CARROLLS.

Absolutely.  I believe Eddie Muller said the only reason Bogart did this film was to have a chance to work with Barbara Stanwyck.  Wish they had done it again (with a way better story!)

• Like 1

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) was the only movie in which: Mickey Mouse and: Bugs Bunny appeared together.

Green Mansions (1959) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Anthony Perkins appeared together.

Charade (1963) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Cary Grant appeared together.

Love in the Afternoon (1957) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Gary Cooper appeared together.

Sabrina (1954) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Humphrey Bogart appeared together.

Funny Face (1957) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Fred Astaire appeared together.

Father Goose (1964) was the only movie in which: Leslie Caron and: Cary Grant appeared together.

• Like 6

Madam Jane Greer & Richard Widmark ..

I Hope my memory and my dash of prior research are +Wrong .. 'bout this.. .but it looks like the .. .Rather Fantastic Thriller --Run For theSun--- ..was the Sole Time Their (Combined) Chemistry was .. On Display ..

🌈🌈🎨

*I See this Stellar Thriller is on Amzn Prime.. ...at the moment .....

Think i might "Accidentally" (lol) flick it on tomorrow while i do some chores and such around the house..

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) was the only movie in which: Mickey Mouse and: Bugs Bunny appeared together.

Disney_Daffy_Duck_Pictures.png&ehk=PVY47

"Oh sure! Mention that rabbit and that mouse here together in this movie, but nooooo, nary a mention of me doing that show stopping piano duet I did in it with that other duck with a speech impediment from the Disney studio, eh?! Why, you're despicable!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, SansFin said:

Green Mansions (1959) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Anthony Perkins appeared together.

Charade (1963) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Cary Grant appeared together.

Love in the Afternoon (1957) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Gary Cooper appeared together.

Sabrina (1954) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Humphrey Bogart appeared together.

Funny Face (1957) was the only movie in which: Audrey Hepburn and: Fred Astaire appeared together.

Father Goose (1964) was the only movie in which: Leslie Caron and: Cary Grant appeared together.

Read somewhere in the past that Cary Grant (age 50) was offered role of Linus Larrabee in 1954's Sabrina but turned it down because he thought he would look too old  next to Audrey Hepburn (age 25) and  William Holden (age 36).  So Bogie (age 54) accepted.  Guess Grant changed his mind about Hepburn by 1963.

• Thanks 2

Edward G. Robinson & Paulette Goddard did the low-budget crime drama VICE SQUAD (1953).

Too bad they were never in a big budget noir with Paulette playing a gold digger that took old Eddie for a ride.

They have the sort of strange chemistry that Fritz Lang would have turned into a much more memorable film.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.24.33 AM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SansFin said:

They clearly tried Audrey with just about everybody.  She was amazing with Cary Grant.  That's the team that should have happened again . . . I so wish Cary Grant had done Sabrina.  No way would have Audrey chosen aging Bogart over hot William Holden but she would definitely have picked Cary Grant over Holden!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lydecker said:

They clearly tried Audrey with just about everybody.  She was amazing with Cary Grant.  That's the team that should have happened again . . . I so Cary Grant had done Sabrina.  No way would have Audrey chosen aging Bogart over hot William Holden but she would definitely have picked Cary Grant over Holden!

Well Hepburn and Holden did get together in PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES (1964).

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Well Hepburn and Holden did get together in PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES (1964).

Hepburn and Holden had a romance in "real life" but I always thought he had better chemistry with the "other" classy lady of the 1950's  --  Grace Kelly.  

18 minutes ago, Athos said:

Cary Grant and Carole Lombard were wonderful together in In Name Only (1939). 

Loved those two together. Wish they had teamed again.    Kay Francis as the greedy wife was a plus in this film.  She didn't often play villains.

• Like 3

James Stewart and Grace Kelly

James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich (although I suspect they might have had personal reasons for mutually avoiding it)

Cary Grant and Grace Kelly

Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint

Judy Garland and James Mason (an unexpectedly effective pairing)

Howard Keel and Jane Powell

Humphrey Bogart and Dorothy Malone

• Like 4