Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They Teamed Only Once and Should Have Teamed Again.

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell

Fred Astaire and Judy Garland

Fred Astaire and Ann Miller

:D

Judy Garland was cast with Fred Astaire in 1949's The Barkleys of Broadway  but due to illness was replaced by Ginger Rogers.  Then Garland was to replace June Allyson in 1951's Royal Wedding starring Astaire but again due to illness Garland was replaced by Jane Powell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, lydecker said:

They clearly tried Audrey with just about everybody.  She was amazing with Cary Grant.  That's the team that should have happened again . . . I so wish Cary Grant had done Sabrina.  No way would have Audrey chosen aging Bogart over hot William Holden but she would definitely have picked Cary Grant over Holden!

OR, as I've said many a time whenever this romantic mismatch of Bogie and Hepburn in Sabrina comes us around here, she WOULD have also ultimately and more believablly gone for the older brother Linus IF Robert Taylor had been cast in the role.

(...I never miss this opportunity to say the above, ya know)  ;)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Swithin said:

Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer had really exceptional chemistry in History Is Made at Night (1937). I wish they had teamed up again.

Were Boyer and de Havilland ever matched again after Hold Back the Dawn ?

(...good chemistry there too)

Lady L (1965) is the only movie in which: Sophia Loren acted with either: Paul Newman or: David Niven

Telefon (1977)     Charles Bronson, Lee Remick

The Mystery of Mr. X (1934) Robert Montgomery, Elizabeth Allan

What a Way to Go! (1964) Shirley MacLaine, Paul Newman

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)  Clint Eastwood, Shirley MacLaine

Three Days of the Condor (1975) Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway

Guilty Conscience (1985)  Anthony Hopkins, Blythe Danner

Blockade (1938)  Madeleine Carroll, Henry Fonda

How to Steal a Million (1966) Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole

Mr Drake's Duck (1951)  Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Yolande Donlan

Is Your Honeymoon Really Necessary (1953) Bonar Colleano, Diana Decker

How to Murder Your Wife (1965) Jack Lemmon, Virna Lisi

Rhubarb (1951)  Ray Milland, Jan Sterling

It Happens Every Spring (1949) Ray Milland, Jean Peters

• Like 3
6 hours ago, SansFin said:

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)  Clint Eastwood, Shirley MacLaine

They did not get along during filming which probably explains why they never re-teamed.

Her later film, GUARDING TESS, would have been a perfect reunion with Clint doing Nicolas Cage's role.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Vidor said:

I think Myrna Loy once said that she regretted never getting to work with James Stewart again after "After the Thin Man".

Speaking of James Stewart, I've always said that the "Best Couple" in The Philadelphia Story was Cary Grant & James Stewart (their scene together when drunk Jimmy shows up on Cary's doorstep is magic!) and I would have loved to see those two together in more films.   They had great chemistry.

• Like 3

Since there's so much talk about Audrey Hepburn co-stars in here I'm surprised no one's mentioned she and Gregory Peck yet. Some of the best romantic chemistry ever in Roman Holiday. 

9 hours ago, Vidor said:

I think Myrna Loy once said that she regretted never getting to work with James Stewart again after "After the Thin Man".

Cold have definitely seen them playing romantic leads in the late 30's/early 40's when Stewart was younger. 

• Like 1

I think I would've liked to have seen British actress Tracy Reed here...

tracy-reed_0.png

...teamed up again with George C. Scott in another movie than Dr. Strangelove...

general-buck-turgidson.jpg

(...but then again here, I don't think I'd have minded seeing her teamed up again with just about ANY actor, come to think of it)  ;)

• Like 2
On 4/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, filmnoirguy said:

Read somewhere in the past that Cary Grant (age 50) was offered role of Linus Larrabee in 1954's Sabrina but turned it down because he thought he would look too old  next to Audrey Hepburn (age 25) and  William Holden (age 36).  So Bogie (age 54) accepted.  Guess Grant changed his mind about Hepburn by 1963.

He was 200% her age in 1954. He was 175% her age in 1963. This removed much of the creepy factor and is more in keeping with European traditions.

It is stated in: The Moon Is Blue by F. Hugh Herbert: "Haven't you ever heard that the girl is supposed to be half the man's age, plus seven?" She was half his age plus five in 1963. This is often considered quite acceptable when it is not a situation where the man is actively pursuing the woman and their relationship grows as a result of other interests. 

Irene Dunne and William Powell were so good together in LIFE WITH FATHER. I can't help but think they would have teamed well in some screwballs during the 1930's.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Did good friends JIMMY STEWART and HENRY FONDA ever work together in anything else besides THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB?  

Sepiatone

They were in a western called FIRECREEK (1968).

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I forgot about that.  But then, I found that movie to be forgettable.

Sepiatone

Oh my, FIRECREEK was one of my husband's favorite films.🥱 Not only did he watch the DVD often, but he would try to make me watch it with him "to make up for always tuning into TCM when I turn on the TV." I would always have laundry to attend to at that point. 😄

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Did good friends JIMMY STEWART and HENRY FONDA ever work together in anything else besides THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB?  

Sepiatone

Yes, they teamed up in a segment of A MIRACLE CAN HAPPEN (ON OUR MERRY WAY), 1948.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1