Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY (2021)

On 9/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, txfilmfan said:

New trailer dropped this morning...

The girl playing Maria is luminous   and while is looks beautifully crafted is still seems familiar because is the same story.  Spielberg is the modern Robert Wise- a skillful studio director

• Like 2
On 9/18/2021 at 12:17 PM, jaragon said:

The girl playing Maria is luminous   and while is looks beautifully crafted is still seems familiar because is the same story.  Spielberg is the modern Robert Wise- a skillful studio director

The real power of West Side Story is in the music and, judging from the preview, that seems to be well served. Plus my basic respect for Tony Kushner makes me believe he wouldn't lead us astray with revisions which don't make sense. I'm looking forward to the movie as much as I'm not looking forward to the return of the notorious wet blanket among us, for whom nothing about this will ever be good enough.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DougieB said:

The real power of West Side Story is in the music and, judging from the preview, that seems to be well served. Plus my basic respect for Tony Kushner makes me believe he wouldn't lead us astray with revisions which don't make sense. I'm looking forward to the movie as much as I'm not looking forward to the return of the notorious wet blanket among us, for whom nothing about this will ever be good enough.  

The script will probably deal more realistically with the racial issue of the story- even though I do wish there had been some Latino co-scriptwriter ( and no not Lin Manuel Miranda)

• Like 1
On 9/20/2021 at 12:38 PM, jaragon said:

The script will probably deal more realistically with the racial issue of the story- even though I do wish there had been some Latino co-scriptwriter ( and no not Lin Manuel Miranda)

I'm interested in seeing the fuller context of the brief clip of the Sharks uniformly stopping as the black couple crosses the street, with Riff offering a slight nod. I'm not sure whether he has a history of collaboration but I'd be surprised if Kushner wrote his script without taking any notes from people who would know more than he about pertinent cultural and racial issues.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm interested in seeing the fuller context of the brief clip of the Sharks uniformly stopping as the black couple crosses the street, with Riff offering a slight nod. I'm not sure whether he has a history of collaboration but I'd be surprised if Kushner wrote his script without taking any notes from people who would know more than he about pertinent cultural and racial issues.

I'm sure he had some notes from Latinos- but of course notes is the same thing as living the experience

• Thanks 1

The trailer looks awesome.

BTW in the trailer at 0:31, across the street from Gimbels on West 32nd St. you can see a vertical sign for Willoughby-Peerless Cameras. In the 1960's-70's, before the home video era, Willoughby-Peerless was the place to shop for 8mm and Super 8 Castle Films, Ken Films, Blackhawk Films, etc. I believe my dad bought me a 50', 4 minute reel of DEAD MEN WALK there. I am watching DEAD MEN WALK on TCM right now. Small world!

• Like 3
On 9/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, Herman Bricks said:

The trailer looks awesome.

BTW in the trailer at 0:31, across the street from Gimbels on West 32nd St. you can see a vertical sign for Willoughby-Peerless Cameras. In the 1960's-70's, before the home video era, Willoughby-Peerless was the place to shop for 8mm and Super 8 Castle Films, Ken Films, Blackhawk Films, etc. I believe my dad bought me a 50', 4 minute reel of DEAD MEN WALK there. I am watching DEAD MEN WALK on TCM right now. Small world!

You have a good eye