Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pride documentaries on June 28, 2021

TCM will be airing:

COMMON THREADS: STORIES FROM THE QUILT (1989)
PARAGRAPH 175 (2000)
THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK (1984)
WORD IS OUT: STORIES OF SOME OF OUR LIVES (1977)
BEFORE STONEWALL (1985)
THE QUEEN (1968)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

TCM will be airing:

COMMON THREAD: STORIES FROM THE QUILT (1989)
PARAGRAPH 175 (2000)
THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK (1984)
WORD IS OUT: STORIES OF SOME OF OUR LIVES (1977)
BEFORE STONEWALL (1985)
THE QUEEN (1968)

I think I've seen a couple of these before, and I THINK (not sure), The Queen was shown on TCM Underground (which I consider treated it for laughs - I don't know how else to credit that timeslot, since most of its offerings are ridiculous or overrated films) not too long ago. It might have been a film in a similar vein; I can be mistaken.

If I'm right though, for me, it twists the nature of the lineup announced, if TCM is trying to make a statement at all.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, wbogacz said:

I think I've seen a couple of these before, and I THINK (not sure), The Queen was shown on TCM Underground (which I consider treated it for laughs - I don't know how else to credit that timeslot, since most of its offerings are ridiculous or overrated films) not too long ago. It might have been a film in a similar vein; I can be mistaken.

If I'm right though, for me, it twists the nature of the lineup announced, if TCM is trying to make a statement at all.

Yes, some of these titles were broadcast previously on TCM.

THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK aired in February 2018.

BEFORE STONEWELL aired in March 2020.

WORD IS OUT: STORIES OF SOME OF OUR LIVES aired in June 2020.

THE QUEEN aired in October 2020.

PARAGRAPH 175 and COMMON THREADS: STORIES FROM THE QUILT will be TCM premieres. They've never aired before on the channel.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, wbogacz said:

The Queen was an underground film from the beginning, so I don't have a problem with TCM having shown it in that slot. It was a good chance to see it and of course TCM could be relied upon to show the recent restoration. It originally played in "grind houses" and smaller venues ( and probably some "adult" theaters) and couldn't be considered a major release by any standard. In the age of RuPaul's Drag Race it must seem pretty tame, but at the time it was a huge deal for the pageant contestants to put themselves out there in that way. People lost jobs and places to live for less than that. 

• Like 1