Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Walk on the Noir Side

rohanaka

Hi there, Ms Favell!!

Whew! Sorry for hogging the page. It has really been a joy walking down noir street with you guys. Even if I don't reply, I always love to read what you all have to say.

I always enjoy reading YOUR comments so, "hog away" sister. ha. :D

Summer of Darkness Wouldn't that phrase sound great bellowed out by Raymond Burr in an echo chamber?

Ha!! Now THAT would give me a case of the heebie jeebies for sure!! I might have nightmares for a month, just thinking of it!! Goodness ME!! Meanwhile, along with a (hopeful) list of "favorites" I am also making a list right now of all the things I learned after watching the Summer of Darkness.. and on that list would have to be.. how CREEPED OUT Raymond Burr makes me feel after watching him in so many rotten guy roles. ha. (but I mean that in a GOOD way, ha) Good golly.. I pretty much only knew him from a handful of characters outside of Godzilla and Ironside. I got to see a whole OTHER side to him I never even KNEW!! ha.  I think I DO remember him being the "heavy" (no pun intended, ha) in one or two westerns too.. but golly.. he sure was sinister this summer. :D

I LOVED Too Late for Tears. It was fun, suspenseful, and had everything a noir should have, including a poor, put-upon heroine. 

That one is among the group I am still trying to get a chance to finish. I actually started it a couple of weeks ago.. and just never got a chance to get through it. I will try again soon! 

I think you need to imagine that loud jacket on the guy from Narrow Margin paired with Cary's HAT from Only Angels Have Wings. Now if that doesn't paint a picture, I don't know what does. 

HA!!!! Now THAT would be a look for sure. (oh me.. he would NEVER have been able to tail anybody in that get up. ha. ) 

I loved watching His Kind of Woman with you! Same with Red Light.

That was fun.. next best thing to being there, ha. All we needed was popcorn! 

Vinnie Price just endeared me to him.... Perhaps this is about the time he became a star? He seemed so relaxed on camera. Itvwas a fantastic part and he completely stole the film. 

He DID!! He was hilarious. And I wonder what his career would have looked like if he'd have done more roles of this nature (rather than falling into the "king of horror' role he later took on, with all those scary movies.)

I was shocked that Raymond Burr was... CUTE! What is this world coming to????

And I wonder if HE would have had a different sort of career if he'd only stayed so "svelte" ha. (that is my new favorite word, I think) :D

I totally missed Criss Cross, the other day (and only caught the last few minutes of Brute Force.. woo that one looked very gritty) I will try to see if I can find them and watch sometime. 

Ro, you must tell me what you thought of The Asphalt Jungle. I didn't like itvtge first time through, the pace was so deliberate and slow. But the next time I loved it! Huston just sets things up, one at a time, in order to knock them all down. It's like a pendulum, if it swings one way, it's got to swing back. Great cast, acting, direction. I'll tell you my favorite things about it if you'll just tell me whether you liked it. 

I have to say it is a mixe review for me. I almost quit it for a while.. it was slow, as you say. In fact at one point, I got so distracted I had to catch myself up (by reading a synopsis online) so I could figure out what I missed in order to determine what was going on (ha.. silly me) But I did manage to stick with most of it and the ending really made up for the rest of it for me. (from about the point where the detectives come to arrest Emmerich (oh that Marilyn.. she creeped me out a bit in this one.. but I liked her!)  The part with the Doc and the cab driver (and the kids w/ the juke box)  was something!   And the very end w/ Dix getting out of that car.. oh me. I have to say, the ending made up for the slow parts. I will try to watch more attentively the next time. I would love to hear what you have to say on it all, if only to maybe help me get a better grasp for the parts I sort of 'lost" by getting distracted. 

WOO!! I just finished watching Too Late For Tears. (at last!) What a fun film!! (if murder, lust, greed, and mayhem can be fun, ha) 

Ms. Favell says:  Molo, I will just say I LOVED Too Late for Tears. It was fun, suspenseful, and had everything a noir should have, including a poor, put-upon heroine. I felt so sorry for Lizabeth Scott here, she really was just a lost little girl.... Hahahahaha!

OH me.. I did NOT feel very sorry for her.. but OH my goodness.. poor DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I can EVER remember a time that I ever saw much reason to feel very much sympathy for a character played by  Dan Duryea!! I l-o-v-e LOVED him in this movie. Poor guy!!!

Oh I loved this murderous, money loving gal! It was really fun watching her weave her web, seeing how far she would go. My mouth dropped open a few times in this movie. I too was thinking about how noir supporting characters really should not go out in boats!

No kidding. ha. Boats=DANGER!! :D

Also.. what about the anti-smoking message in this one. Poor Arthur Kennedy. He reaches into his wife's purse for a cigarette and a gun falls out.. and then he DIES!! See.. I knew it all along, smoking is hazardous to your HEALTH! :D

Don DeFore added suspense, and I liked him a lot in this. He wasn't stuck playing a big doofus here. But really it was Duryea and Scott's film...it made me decide that Lizabeth has been rooked all these years as an actress..she was terrific in TLFT.

They really did "own" their roles, for sure. One thing I kept thinking about with this movie was ANOTHER movie that I saw years ago called A Simple Plan. (with Bill Paxton, Bridgit Fonda, and Billy Bob Thornton) The plot is only similar in that a large sum of "dirty" money sort of "falls into" their laps.. and totally WRECKS their lives.. but oh me it makes you THINK!!  It is a VERY gritty and violent movie, though and the wife is not such a key player. Still.. she was the one who sort of drove the husband (eventually) It was very hard to watch, but TLFT would make a good "double bill" with that one if you want to see what "love of money" and obsessing over it can do to seemingly otherwise "normal" people.

Only.. Jane wasn't REALLY "normal" was she? She more or less ALWAYS obsessed over the money.. even before it landed in her lap. (almost literally) 

One thing I like about noir heroines, or femmes fatale,they always have issues I can rwlate to. They just take it too far. I can certainly understand her want of MORE, growing up poor as she did. I think Scott nailed her insecurity and feelings of being inferior (mostly in her scenes with the sister). It set up the whole story. And I liked her bug eyed excitement, almost sexual, when the money fell into their laps. She reminded me of two of my favorite femmes, Annie Laurie Starr and Ellen Berent. If you look closely at all three, you find some things to sympathize with. They all are dealing with feelings of powerlessness. Killing starts to make sense when you see how they have had to deny their true instincts in front of their men. I don't think any of these women ever forgot any slight they ever got, and kept a little list in the back of their mind of just who deserved a come-uppance. This is real meat and potatoes noir for me, filling and juicy. I can't get enough of it. I guess I love black widows in the movies. 

I think you are definitely on to something at least with regard to how these women perceive their situations. It may not be "real" but it is "real to them, in terms how they feel about it. And it drives everything they do. I can't necessarily find much sympathy for them overall, but woo.. it does make for a VERY interesting study in human nature. 

Now.. on to Out of the Past. Will hope to finally get to that one maybe later this evening. It is  due back to the library so I am running out of time. (ha.. but meanwhile.. I am glad I watched TLFT first as I already am worried, Thank goodness at least ONE of the two  "Kathy's" in the movies I am watching this week with characters named Kathy turned out to be nice) HA!!! :D

Well.... now.  

Out of Past.. who knew?? ha. I guess all of YOU did, (or at least most of you) because I had SEVERAL folks tell me this was a good one to catch. So I was very disappointed that my schedule did not work out during the Summer of Darkness to allow me to catch that one. But thankfully, through some extra efforts of my local library (I love those gals, ha) they were able to send off and get a copy of the DVD for me and I was able to finally watch it last night. 

I have to say I completely understand why so many of you spoke so highly of it. I have to say.. it really was something. OH me.. that Kathie. WHAT a piece of work. Poor Robert Mitchum.. Poor Kirk Douglas.. POOR EVERYBODY who got in her path. So lovely.. so "helpless" and innocent. So LETHAL!!  

And I have to mention how GORGEOUS this film is. EVERYHTHING about it (except the subject matter) was utterly beautiful. The setting, the scenery, the interior sets with all their furnishings.. the clothes. Even the HAIR ha. 

But "pretty is as pretty does" and oh me.. that Kathie gal was ANYTHING but pretty. 

And now.. I can finally make that LIST. (oh me.. out of all the films shown over the Summer of Darkness, if I have counted right, I watched over 30 NEW films.. How oh HOW will I ever sort through them??)

Can she do it??? (Did I mention be afraid.. be very afraid!) :D

It must be the name!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... and HA!! :D

(To borrow from Shakespeare, what's in a name??) :P

Meanwhile.. at least all the GOOD "Kathy" people know how to spell their name!! The gal in THAT movie was so rotten.. even her SPELLING was bad. :P

Hey there Jackie,

I also really enjoyed reading your thoughts on all the "Summer of Darkness" films!

I think Scott nailed her insecurity and feelings of being inferior (mostly in her scenes with the sister). It set up the whole story. And I liked her bug eyed excitement, almost sexual, when the money fell into their laps. She reminded me of two of my favorite femmes, Annie Laurie Starr and Ellen Berent. If you look closely at all three, you find some things to sympathize with. They all are dealing with feelings of powerlessness. Killing starts to make sense when you see how they have had to deny their true instincts in front of their men. I don't think any of these women ever forgot any slight they ever got, and kept a little list in the back of their mind of just who deserved a come-uppance. This is real meat and potatoes noir for me, filling and juicy. I can't get enough of it. I guess I love black widows in the movies.

Great comments! There has to be something in these characters that attracts us to them. I had a hard time with that in Annie Laurie. Ellen Berent riding that horse in the sunset was an interesting scene to me. It showed a sense of loss I think.

Jane Palmer starts off being insecure and then that money falls into her lap. She dreams of that money. All the things that it can do for her. I just couldn't help rooting for her in some twisted way.

I am glad that you enjoyed the film as much as I did.

I understand your feelings about TENSION very well. I think I felt very much the same way the first time I watched it. Somehow, it is more fun or interesting once you've seen it- you can let go of plot and concentrate on details in the acting, which for me is tops and elevates rhe whole thing. Here's another dissatisfied female...that I love...to hate. Once again, she has her reasons which wr can, at least obliquely, understand. But the film itself is a bit flawed. Still it keeps you on the edge a bit. I think maybe the last part is drawn out just a little too long. But the final scene is so Maltese Falcon, I forgive and happily forget the flaws. Barry makes a pretty good Sam Spade, and Audrey Totter is a magnificent Brigid.

Interesting. I will definitely give it another look one day. I think I was a little disappointed that it didn't go in some of the directions that I was hoping it would. That won't be an issue next time. I think the characters were good and the final scene was done well. We'll see .  :) 

I think it is derived from the latin meaning cold rope and buckshot!

Don't forget my most LETHAL weapon.. the ever-ready HATPIN! :D

mccl2.jpg

Ha.. I just remembered.. Mrs. McLintock's first name was... Katherine!! (now THERE's a real Kathy for you!!) :D

hi ya Ro,

Don't forget my most LETHAL weapon.. the ever-ready HATPIN! :D

No danger of me forgetting that!

I'm glad you enjoyed Too Late for Tears.

OH me.. I did NOT feel very sorry for her.. but OH my goodness.. poor DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I can EVER remember a time that I ever saw much reason to feel very much sympathy for a character played by  Dan Duryea!! I l-o-v-e LOVED him in this movie. Poor guy!!!

I felt a little sorry for Jane. She was the center of the film so it was hard not to for me. I REALLY felt bad for Danny though. He met his match! This has to be one of my favorite Duryea roles. He and Scott were so much fun to watch.

They really did "own" their roles, for sure. One thing I kept thinking about with this movie was ANOTHER movie that I saw years ago called A Simple Plan. (with Bill Paxton, Bridgit Fonda, and Billy Bob Thornton) The plot is only similar in that a large sum of "dirty" money sort of "falls into" their laps.. and totally WRECKS their lives.. but oh me it makes you THINK!!  It is a VERY gritty and violent movie, though and the wife is not such a key player. Still.. she was the one who sort of drove the husband (eventually) It was very hard to watch, but TLFT would make a good "double bill" with that one if you want to see what "love of money" and obsessing over it can do to seemingly otherwise "normal" people.

I haven't seen that film but I will keep an eye out for it.

I have to say I completely understand why so many of you spoke so highly of it. I have to say.. it really was something. OH me.. that Kathie. WHAT a piece of work. Poor Robert Mitchum.. Poor Kirk Douglas.. POOR EVERYBODY who got in her path. So lovely.. so "helpless" and innocent. So LETHAL!!

I have to say that it is not only my favorite noir but one of my all time favorite films. I think it is a wonderfully constructed story. I once wrote something about Kathy Moffat titled The Girl Can't Help it. I think she says something to that effect more than once in the film. She is an amazing piece of work.

And I have to mention how GORGEOUS this film is. EVERYHTHING about it (except the subject matter) was utterly beautiful. The setting, the scenery, the interior sets with all their furnishings.. the clothes. Even the HAIR ha.

It is a beautiful film to watch. There is a lot of bad stuff going on but there is really just a LOT going on and it is all very nicely presented. From the start when we meet Jeff at the gas station with the kid, then as he is driven into his past life. The way the flashbacks meld into the story.

I think it is a great story and it is Jeff's story. There are all these pieces to it and fascinating characters. There is a lot of action, double dealing and double crossing but there is also this overall quality that is tragic and haunting. It stays with you. Just a wonderful film in my humble opinion.

And now.. I can finally make that LIST. (oh me.. out of all the films shown over the Summer of Darkness, if I have counted right, I watched over 30 NEW films.. How oh HOW will I ever sort through them??)

Can she do it??? (Did I mention be afraid.. be very afraid!) :D

You can do it! Wow! Thirty new films? That's impressive. Can't wait to see how you rank them.

Hey there Mr. Madhat!

I felt a little sorry for Jane. She was the center of the film so it was hard not to for me.

She made me mad, pretty much all the way through. She had a husband who loved her (and from everything I saw, I think he was a decent guy). They were living a pretty good life.. they had a nice apartment. She wore decent clothes, and seemed to have a pretty nice car too. She just wasn't that easy to please I guess. Some folks never have "enough".  

I guess I COULD say I felt sorry for her.. only in that I always feel sorry to see someone that blind to what really matters in life and so caught up in "stuff" that they are unable to just be happy. But that is where most of my sympathy for her would stop. But I do confess I had ONE moment of hope for her.. when she tried to get her husband to turn the boat around. I think it was the one little spark of conscience she managed to muster. But it soon went away the minute that gun went off. From there on out, it was "How do I get  out of this.. oh wait. Lucky for me, I already thought of THAT!" and then she just followed through with all her plans from there on out. She was cagey and cunning... and quite manipulative. 

Ok.. I just re-read that whole paragraph. ha. I know I sound mean.. maybe I should try to have more compassion for  her.. but good golly. She really didn't show much compassion for anyone else. She didn't seem to have much going on in the "heart" department once that gun went off. I have to take a pass for feeling sorry for her, I guess.

Gee.. I can be such a meanie, sometimes. :)

I REALLY felt bad for Danny though. He met his match! This has to be one of my favorite Duryea roles.

Me too. I think this has to be my most fave for him that I can ever recall. I like that he absolutely HATED what she turned him into. It definitely made him very sympathetic. He was just a "two-bit" kinda guy, but not really a BAD guy, in the complete sense of the word. He at least had the good sense to be BOTHERED by what she was dragging him into. He started out thinking he was the one in control.. but he was NO match for her and it destroyed him in the end.  

I haven't seen that film but I will keep an eye out for it

It is not for the squeamish and very hard to watch in places.. not just for the violence, but for the details of what actually happens in the story too. I can't say that I usually "enjoy" stories of that kind, but it has been over 12 years since I saw it, and still, it really sticks with me. The thing I remember thinking most (without giving too much away) is how ironic it was that two of the main characters end up going back to the exact same lives they had before they found the money (lives they BOTH would have said were perfect and happy beforehand) only now.. they were miserable. The money (and what all happened because of it) is what made the difference.  You'll have to tell me what you think of it, if you ever check it out. 

I have to say that it is not only my favorite noir but one of my all time favorite films. I think it is a wonderfully constructed story. I once wrote something about Kathy Moffat titled The Girl Can't Help it. I think she says something to that effect more than once in the film. She is an amazing piece of work.

I probably would not rate it anywhere near as high for a favorite as  you (maybe just because I am not a HUGE Mitchum fan, perhaps) but it was a very good film.

And "Piece of work" is about right! She was like some sort of hypnotic snake.. all shiny and bright colored or something. Deceptively beautiful and mesmerizing.. until she strikes you dead. (ha.. if a snake could be BEAUTIFUL that is!) :D 

But you know.. to me she was not quite as bad as Jane!! I mean.. yes.. she was awful. But at least she was killing people who were (generally speaking) as rotten as she was. (except for Jeff, maybe. I LIKED him, even if he DID show bad judgment in who he worked for and in how he let himself get "hooked" by her) At least most of her other victims were rotten in one way or another. At the beginning I wasn't sure if she was as innocent as she first appeared or not. But I did not seem so surprised to see her end up being the way she was. She would definitely fit as the perfect "femme fatale" role model. 

And you are right, it was Jeff's story. I like how he got her number and then his whole opinion of her changed. But he never should have gotten in that car with her.. oh me. (Poor Robert Mitchum.. first Jean Simmons and now this. Forget the boats.. he needs to stay out of CARS!! Next time, he has to go somewhere, he just needs to go on foot!) 

It is a beautiful film to watch. There is a lot of bad stuff going on but there is really just a LOT going on and it is all very nicely presented. From the start when we meet Jeff at the gas station with the kid, then as he is driven into his past life. The way the flashbacks meld into the story.

I don't know the first thing about film making and how things are put together, but it really was a cut above a lot of the other "noirs" that were shown in the S of D series. You could tell the quality of the entire film by how it LOOKED as much as by the story itself. 

You can do it! Wow! Thirty new films? That's impressive. Can't wait to see how you rank them

Ha.. me too!! :D

Hey there cranky!

Ok.. I just re-read that whole paragraph. ha. I know I sound mean.. maybe I should try to have more compassion for  her.. but good golly. She really didn't show much compassion for anyone else. She didn't seem to have much going on in the "heart" department once that gun went off. I have to take a pass for feeling sorry for her, I guess.

Gee.. I can be such a meanie, sometimes.

Ha! I think it is okay to be mad and a little mean to Jane. She was pretty ruthless. She was a lot of fun to watch though. 

But I do confess I had ONE moment of hope for her.. when she tried to get her husband to turn the boat around. I think it was the one little spark of conscience she managed to muster. But it soon went away the minute that gun went off. From there on out, it was "How do I get  out of this.. oh wait. Lucky for me, I already thought of THAT!" and then she just followed through with all her plans from there on out. She was cagey and cunning... and quite manipulative.

I mentioned that scene in my comments to Laffite. Jane seems to have a moment of clarity or conscience or something. Maybe she just figures out that she is going too far. As you say, once the gun goes off she knows there is no turning back and she is determined to see the thing through from there on out.  She keeps going forward obsessively. She doesn't look back.

I probably would not rate it anywhere near as high for a favorite as  you (maybe just because I am not a HUGE Mitchum fan, perhaps) but it was a very good film.

I think a lot of people wouldn't rate it as high on a general list of films as I would but I always loved this film. I saw it very early on in my movie watching days and I keep coming back to it. I guess I'm just really captivated by it.

But you know.. to me she was not quite as bad as Jane!! I mean.. yes.. she was awful. But at least she was killing people who were (generally speaking) as rotten as she was. (except for Jeff, maybe. I LIKED him, even if he DID show bad judgment in who he worked for and in how he let himself get "hooked" by her) At least most of her other victims were rotten in one way or another. At the beginning I wasn't sure if she was as innocent as she first appeared or not. But I did not seem so surprised to see her end up being the way she was. She would definitely fit as the perfect "femme fatale" role model.

I agree with all of that. Kathie was caught up in a much bigger mess than Jane too. Jane created her troubles with her thirst for money, with Kathie it was more complicated.  

And you are right, it was Jeff's story. I like how he got her number and then his whole opinion of her changed. But he never should have gotten in that car with her.. oh me. (Poor Robert Mitchum.. first Jean Simmons and now this. Forget the boats.. he needs to stay out of CARS!! Next time, he has to go somewhere, he just needs to go on foot!)

Ha! That sure is true. I just don't think Mitchum can stay out of trouble no matter what he does.

Thanks, Jackie, re: D.O.A.  And I love Laurette Luez's performance as Marla Rakubian.  She just smolders with contempt for Edmond O'Brien's character, lol.

Yes, you know me and my affection for the Dudley Do-right guys, but guess what?  Barry Sullivan really turned me on in THE GANGSTER!  He's never appealed to me before playing disgruntled husbands and similiar parts.  I actually don't care for him straitlaced.  A very unusual turnaround for me, ha!

I'd love to see Dan Duryea as a teacher, wearing horn-rimmed glasses and being disheveled but in an absent-minded professor kind of way.  He might even smoke a pipe.  Man, I'd be all over that character in my mind like white on rice.

Hi, Torch Singin' Jane Darwell -- I just finished watching The Gangster.  That was rather fascinating!  Who would have thought a soda shoppe could attract such a crowd?  I love the psychological mess this film offered.  So many characters are caught in their own psychological prisons.  I can relate!

Barry Sullivan was superb.  But I'm typically a fan of Barry.  This was a different kind of Belita that I have seen.  And how about the supporting cast?!  Harry Morgan, Akim Tamiroff, Sheldon Leonard, Charles McGraw, Elisha Cook, Jr., John Ireland, and Leif Erickson.  Wow!

If you ever wanted to know what a date with myself and Miss G would look like, just watch Shorty (Harry Morgan) and Olga's (Fifi D'Orsay) evening!  "Go to the Devil!"  Hilarious!

Hello there Madhat, 

I think it is okay to be mad and a little mean to Jane. She was pretty ruthless. She was a lot of fun to watch though. 

She was not so "fun" for me as she was intriguing. I kept WAITING for that little twinge of "remorse" to show back up.. but boy.. once she took that plunge, it was a LONG way down for her. (ha.. figuratively.. and then LITERALLY)  :D

Kathie was caught up in a much bigger mess than Jane too. Jane created her troubles with her thirst for money, with Kathie it was more complicated

They were like opposites sides to the same coin. One of them was ruthless because she was just selfish and wanted her own way and she thought she deserved better. The other was ruthless at least in PART because she was just trying to survive in a dog-eat-dog kinda world, maybe. Kathie's situation was maybe more complicated, but it made her at least a little bit easier to understand. Jane's situation was EASY (at least in terms of the lifestyle she led) so she was HARDER to understand (when I am trying to figure out WHY she did what she did) They made for an interesting contrast in terms of how I viewed the events of the story in both movies. 

Hi, Torch Singin' Jane Darwell 

HA!!! Now THAT conjures up quite the mental picture doesn't it!! :D

I just finished watching The Gangster. 

WOO!! But oh wait! This means I have to call off my threats that I just laid down for you over in the torture thread. ha. Rats! (I guess I will save my vile of glow in the dark poison for another day) :D

That was rather fascinating! 

I THOUGHT it might be one you would enjoy. I kept thinking it was right up your alley (ha.. you know.. the dark shadowy one) as I was watching. 

Who would have thought a soda shoppe could attract such a crowd?  I love the psychological mess this film offered.  So many characters are caught in their own psychological prisons.  I can relate!

It really had a lot of layers to it, didn't itI may need to go back and look up my original comments on it to be sure, but one of the things I remember was how there were a lot of  "opposite outcomes" in terms of how some of the people behaved. The people he thought were good ended up letting him down.. the one he thought was WORTHLESS actually did the right thing (even if it was too little too late)  

And sadly..  nobody got their "happy ending' in this one. (boy is THAT ever your kinda movie or WHAT??) ha.

Barry Sullivan was superb.  But I'm typically a fan of Barry. 

I have not seen too many for him.. but this would certainly be a standout for sure. 

And how about the supporting cast?!  Harry Morgan, Akim Tamiroff, Sheldon Leonard, Charles McGraw, Elisha Cook, Jr., John Ireland, and Leif Erickson.  Wow!

John Ireland almost broke my HEART!! (now how did he do that. Usually I think of him as somebody who is so gruff and rotten. This time he was just so pathetic.) He wasn't entirely sympathetic (maybe more annoying, than anything) but yet I DID feel sorry for him by the end of it all. 

If you ever wanted to know what a date with myself and Miss G would look like, just watch Shorty (Harry Morgan) and Olga's (Fifi D'Orsay) evening!  "Go to the Devil!"  Hilarious!

HA!! They were definitely NEEDED in this movie.. if only to lighten the mood. (But again.. so sad. NOBODY gets their happy ending in this movie. Alas.. poor Harry Morgan. He just didn't know how to treat a lady.) :D

HA!!! Now THAT conjures up quite the mental picture doesn't it!! :D

It really does.  You can spend your time on stage chiding us for being there!

WOO!! But oh wait! This means I have to call off my threats that I just laid down for you over in the torture thread. ha. Rats! (I guess I will save my vile of glow in the dark poison for another day) :D

All right!  I got you!  For once!  I got you!

I THOUGHT it might be one you would enjoy. I kept thinking it was right up your alley (ha.. you know.. the dark shadowy one) as I was watching. 

You would be right!  While the film seemed to go up and down with me, there were times I thought it was utterly fascinating.  I loved the first half hour.

It really had a lot of layers to it, didn't itI may need to go back and look up my original comments on it to be sure, but one of the things I remember was how there were a lot of  "opposite outcomes" in terms of how some of the people behaved. The people he thought were good ended up letting him down.. the one he thought was WORTHLESS actually did the right thing (even if it was too little too late)

Very true.  And nicely put.  Dorothy the cashier (Joan Lorring) was so mean and judgmental of Shubunka (Barry Sullivan).  And that has to be the greatest name in a film noir.  I kept hearing "Chewbaca". :D

I had no idea how to take Nancy (Belita).  On one hand she had every right to go insane over Shubunka's distrust and possessive nature with her.  That would drive any woman nuts.  But then she was seemingly just using him for what he was providing her.  It was such an unhealthy relationship.  And this film was full of them.  Lots of users to be found.  But all in their own way.  Great to watch.

And sadly..  nobody got their "happy ending' in this one. (boy is THAT ever your kinda movie or WHAT??) ha.

Completely!  I truly loved that about the film.  I actually got a Night and the City feel with this film.  And that's high praise from me.

I have not seen too many for him.. but this would certainly be a standout for sure. 

He plays one of my very favorite western leads in Forty Guns.  But that's not a western for you.

John Ireland almost broke my HEART!! (now how did he do that. Usually I think of him as somebody who is so gruff and rotten. This time he was just so pathetic.) He wasn't entirely sympathetic (maybe more annoying, than anything) but yet I DID feel sorry for him by the end of it all. 

You know what?  You just impressed me for feeling for Frank Karty (John Ireland), Mrs. Black and White.  He really was a pathetic loser.  Yet, there was enough there to really feel for him.  I like it when a film offers characters like his.

HA!! They were definitely NEEDED in this movie.. if only to lighten the mood. (But again.. so sad. NOBODY gets their happy ending in this movie. Alas.. poor Harry Morgan. He just didn't know how to treat a lady.) :D

I don't know how to treat a lady?  I just want to touch the fabric! :P

Bronxgirl said:

I'd love to see Dan Duryea as a teacher, wearing horn-rimmed glasses and being disheveled but in an absent-minded professor kind of way.  He might even smoke a pipe.  Man, I'd be all over that character in my mind like white on rice.

You almost get that in "Flight of The Phoenix." He is probably more of a soft character than you might want but it is the closest thing I know of for him. And it is not a big roll there.

You almost get that in "Flight of The Phoenix." He is probably more of a soft character than you might want but it is the closest thing I know of for him. And it is not a big roll there.

Woo.. I have seen that movie 3 or 4 times over the years  and never remembered that he was even IN the movie ha. (silly me) I had to look it up just to see what role he played and THEN I remembered him instantly. I will have to pull out our tape and watch again sometime. (shouldn't be TOO hard to do, it is a fave for the QT so he likes to watch it now and then. I enjoy it too, but not as much of a fave for me as it is for him) 

HELLO there, Shorty. :D

You can spend your time on stage chiding us for being there!

Ha.. yes. And I would threaten you by waving a REAL torch (hence the name.. torch singer ha) Now THAT sounds like the REAL me. :D

All right!  I got you!  For once!  I got you!

Woo.. I must be slipping. I will have to get a new game plan if i am going to try and stay ahead of you. ha. 

You would be right!  While the film seemed to go up and down with me, there were times I thought it was utterly fascinating.  I loved the first half hour.

It held my attention all the way through. I did not KNOW how it was going to play out. I had such hopes for him. I do love a good "repentant" bad guy story. I think this one was as much about "regret" though as "repentance". He knew the road he'd taken that had gotten him where he was.. and he was really fed up with it. But still he was caught up in too many snares (many of his own making) to truly be able to break free.   

Dorothy the cashier (Joan Lorring) was so mean and judgmental of Shubunka (Barry Sullivan). 

She was a good example of righteousness without compassion.  That is a rotten combination if you truly want to be a good example" of "goodness" He had held her up in his own mind as this pristine person.. but she really was pretty harsh. There is sometimes the need (and  a place and a time) where you  have to say "you reap what you sow" but she had NO heart for helping him. When he came to her for help and was clearly in need.. she just turned him out. Very sad.

Shubunka (Barry Sullivan).  And that has to be the greatest name in a film noir.  I kept hearing "Chewbaca".

HA!  Hey.. now that's an idea. Chewbaca COULD be a gangster.. in fact.. I bet he WAS one. ha. We have a family joke about  speaking Wookie and what he is REALLY saying in one part of Star Wars (Idon't remember which part, but I think it was after he was insulted) and when he lets out a "wookie sound" we always translate THAT as "So's your muddah" ha. That sounds very "gangster" doesn't it?? ha.  (Oh me we are so silly around here sometimes) :D

You know what?  You just impressed me for feeling for Frank Karty (John Ireland), Mrs. Black and White.  He really was a pathetic loser.  Yet, there was enough there to really feel for him.  I like it when a film offers characters like his.

Well.. I do confess.. I can be hardnosed about some things. I think again it goes back to that whole "compassion" thing I mentioned. Don't misunderstand.. I LOVE when a "bad guy" gets what he has coming to him. But there is still a level of sadness I can feel for someone who had totally ruined his life.. is completely bereft of any human hope.. and just in a hole of his own making... especially if that person can SEE that he put himself there. He may still get the consequence.. but I am not going to feel so "happy" about it. 

I don't know how to treat a lady?  I just want to touch the fabric!

Oh bruddah... 

:rolleyes:

Woweee, Miss Peacemaker this IS a happy surprise in Dark City! :D What a fantastic

read this "discovery" of the "noir side" is already. You have already grasped the strengths,

I think, of The Narrow Margin but also of what you'll find again and again in movies

of this style.

This should be exciting. I'm no expert at all on noir, so I'm sure I'll be learning right

along with you. It's good to have "fresh blood" here, ha!

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of film noir is the most superficial

aspect: the look. When I see lots of night time shots, in an urban setting, including rain

soaked streets, flashing neon signs on dingy cafes and hotels, and most of all, LOTS

of creative, contrasty play with light-and-shadow (I mostly think noir is made up of black-and-

white films). These things seem to either represent what's going on inside some of the

characters, or present a hostile environment that is antagonistic to them. Which is a

silly way to say these movies look "dark" or "black" and treacherous.

The real experts will chime in I'm sure with what noir is really about right down to its

conflictive underpinnings (lots of psychological drama, too, in noir---which I find interesting).

I tend to like a mix of classic noir and "noir lite", ha:

Laura

On Dangerous Ground

The Reckless Moment

Ride the Pink Horse

The Blue Dahlia

This Gun for Hire

His Kind of Woman

Out of the Past

Johnny O'Clock

The Maltese Falcon

Impact

The Locket

The Clock

The Blue Gardenia

Too Late for Tears

The Damned Don't Cry

Daisy Kenyon

Where the Sidewalk Ends

These are a few of my favorite (noir) things....! :D I think you would find something

A wonderful list!  Just saw Too Late for Tears last night.  A great film noir!  Anyone seen The Stolen Face with Lizabeth Scott and Paul Henreid? Great film noir with a wonderful musical background.  I had seen this on TV as a child.  IT is a great early 50's film noir.

I just love The Locket!  What a wonderful film.  The innocent looking Laraine Day destroys these men - her husband and earlier her fiancee with her seemingly innocent airs  When he discovers she shot her boss at a cocktail party, Nancy acts very innocent and lets the butler get executed for the crime eventually..  When he (Robert Mitchum) can't convince even his psychiatrist that Nancy had committed the murder, he jumps from the office window to his death.  To top it off, the psychiatrist (played by Brian Aherne) marries this guilty woman!),   Great cast from Katharine Emery, the cruel woman who was the boss of Nancy's mother when she was a child. to ( Gene Raymond, the unwitting fiancee ) the other men who thinks she is great!  He is destined to suicide, as her first boyfriend, Robert Mitchum had done.  His psychiatrist and Nancy's  (Laraine) new husband ultimately loses his grip on sanity too!  I was very impressed with the little girl who played the part of Nancy as  a child.

Archived