Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

Thanks for stopping by over here on the "Noir side", MCannady1. I enjoyed reading your comments on the Locket. Not a top favorite for me, but still it does  have its moments (some of then quite "jaw-dropping".) Definitely a good choice for the Summer of Darkness last month. 

HELLO there all my fellow "Noir" amblers. :D

So... Regarding my promised "list" of new (to me) noir films that I got to see this summer: 

Madhat Molo says: You can do it! Wow! Thirty new films? That's impressive. Can't wait to see how you rank them

To which Rohanaka replied: Ha.. me too!!

And now.. whew. I am happy to say I finally have my list complete. (at least as far as I can tell) But first I just have to say, it's been fun hanging out here in the ole "Noir walk" thread this summer. I really did enjoy myself getting to see so many fun films. (ha.. if crime, mayhem, carnage, and murder can be called FUN!) 

And actually, the official count is now 32. (thanks to youtube and the local library I was able to catch a few that I missed when they aired on TCM) There were two or three more that I ALMOST listed but I did not get to see them all the way through and I don't really want to count them. So the ones that I did list are ones I did get to watch from start to end. And upon further review of the long list of really great choices for the Summer of Darkness series.. I must also add that I am pretty sure I have only scratched the surface for delving into the "dark" side of town over here in "Noir land" ha. 

Woo.. I think I have officially watched more movies this summer than I have watched in AGES! (at least they were new to me) And keep in mind, these listed below are only the ones that I watched that were "new" for me. I also watched a few familiar ones too.. ones that I have seen before but just wanted to take the chance to see again, while they were being shown in the series. So yeah.. I have pretty much been "kept in the dark" all summer long. HA! (but I mean that in a GOOD way) :D

Now.. keep in mind, ha. this is NOT a perfect list. As I have often said many times before.. I am NO sort of list maker. But here goes nothin'. And hey.. they are in ORDER even! Well.. sort of. After you get to about #15 or 20 (or so) they kinda do run together. But I can say definitively that the ones at the top really were my favorites. And the ones at the bottom.. not so much. I am sure I could come back here tomorrow and change them all around again, ha. But we'll keep it as follows for now, anyway.  

And so.. ha.. to borrow from Rod Serling.. submitted for your approval, I give you..  Ro's "official" list of new (to me) films that I got to watch for the first time during the Summer of Darkness series:

1.     MURDER, MY SWEET

2.     THE MALTESE FALCON

3.     ON DANGEROUS GROUND

4.     NIGHTMARE ALLEY

5.     WHITE HEAT

6.     THE GANGSTER

7.     OUT OF THE PAST

8.     THE WINDOW

9.     THE SET-UP

10.   THE BIG CLOCK

11.   RED LIGHT

12.   D.O.A.  

13.   HIS KIND OF WOMAN

14.   CROSSFIRE

15.   DETOUR

16.   DEADLINE AT DAWN

17.   TALK ABOUT A STRANGER

18.   TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY

19.   MYSTERY STREET

20.   ANGEL FACE  

21.   TOO LATE FOR TEARS

22.   THE  ASPHALT JUNGLE

23.   THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS

24.   DANGER SIGNAL

25.   SHADOW ON THE WALL

26.   HIGH WALL

27.   HOLLOW TRIUMPH

28.   THE TATTOOED STRANGER

29.   THE HITCH-HIKER

30.   JOHNNY ANGEL

31.   DESPERATE  

32.   KISS ME DEADLY 

Edited by rohanaka

Woo.. I think I have officially watched more movies this summer than I have watched in AGES! (at least they were new to me)

Fantastic!  I'm super impressed.  You done good.

And keep in mind, these listed below are only the ones that I watched that were "new" for me.

Way to go!  I like that a lot.

Now.. keep in mind, ha. this is NOT a perfect list. As I have often said many times before.. I am NO sort of list maker. But here goes nothin'. And hey.. they are in ORDER even! Well.. sort of.

I've got tears of joy running down my face. :)

And so.. ha.. to borrow from Rod Serling.. submitted for your approval, I give you..  Ro's "official" list of new (to me) films that I got to watch for the first time during the Summer of Darkness series:

1.     MURDER, MY SWEET (13)

2.     THE MALTESE FALCON (8)

3.     ON DANGEROUS GROUND (4)

4.     NIGHTMARE ALLEY (7)

5.     WHITE HEAT (17)

6.     THE GANGSTER (21)

7.     OUT OF THE PAST (1)

8.     THE WINDOW (16)

9.     THE SET-UP (3)

10.   THE BIG CLOCK (20)

11.   RED LIGHT (31)

12.   D.O.A. (11)

13.   HIS KIND OF WOMAN (14)

14.   CROSSFIRE (15)

15.   DETOUR (12)

16.   DEADLINE AT DAWN (5)

17.   TALK ABOUT A STRANGER (18)

18.   TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (23)

19.   MYSTERY STREET (10)

20.   ANGEL FACE (9)

21.   TOO LATE FOR TEARS (19)

22.   THE  ASPHALT JUNGLE (6)

23.   THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (27)

24.   DANGER SIGNAL (26)

25.   SHADOW ON THE WALL

26.   HIGH WALL (24)

27.   HOLLOW TRIUMPH (30)

28.   THE TATTOOED STRANGER (22)

29.   THE HITCH-HIKER (29)

30.   JOHNNY ANGEL (25)

31.   DESPERATE  (28)

32.   KISS ME DEADLY (2)

Expertly done!  I'm very impressed.  I added my ranking of those 32 films noir to the right of yours to compare.  We agree on many.  We are closest with:

The Hitch-Hiker

On Dangerous Ground

D.O.A.

His Kind of Woman

Crossfire

Talk About a Stranger

Too Late for Tears

Danger Signal

High Wall

Nightmare Alley

Detour

Hollow Triumph

Desperate

We disagree the most on these:

Kiss Me Deadly

Red Light

The Asphalt Jungle

The Gangster

White Heat

No surprises with the top two.

And, believe it or not, I haven't seen one of your list.  I'm slipping!  I need to watch Shadow on the Wall.

On a side note, I watched a film last night that featured you and Miss G.

chadhanna2_zpsnbzwqkre.jpg

Hey there Ro,

Alright the list is in! I knew you could do it!  :)

There are three films on there that I want to view soon. White Heat (I know, I'm slow) as well as Kiss Me Deadly (which I think I did see  a long time ago) and The Gangster which you and Frank were discussing and now I'm curious to see it myself. 

I think we are closest in agreement with The Maltese Falcon which is a big favorite of mine. Also On Dangerous Ground as well.

Out of the Past at number seven? Not too shabby. Glad you finally got to see that one

Not surprisingly we are probably in the most disagreement with Too Late for Tears. I thought Dan Duryea might have bumped it up a little higher for you but oh well. I noticed Detour sitting there firmly in the middle. I wasn't sure you liked it that much.

After reading your list I feel like I coasted through the Summer of Darkness. Now a lot of the films I had seen, but there were a good number that I had not, but I do have a few more that I plan to watch.

My favorite "new to me" film from this discussion was a film that wasn't even scheduled, that would be Man Hunt. I did like Tomorrow is Another Day which was on the schedule. I also got a chance to revisit a number of films that were fading in my memory so that was nice too.

I am so glad you started up this discussion Ro. It has been a lot of fun and it was great to see a lot of old friends join in.

Now we just have to get you a DVD of Macao so you can fast forward through Jane's singing! :D

Howdy, Mr. Grey,

Fantastic!  I'm super impressed.  You done good.

Ha. .thanks. But don't be TOO impressed. I am SURE you are far more solid in your ranking numbers than I am. I was questioning each one over and over as I put them in the list.. then took them out.. moved them around.. and put them back again. ha. (what can I say.. I am a wishy-washy list maker. ha) But I do think I got pretty close with how I actually felt about most of them, overall. 

I've got tears of joy running down my face.

Ah.. if only I'd known that THIS was all it took to break you out bawling. All these years of me threatening you with ropes and hatpins. And I should have just written out a list. ha. Oh wait.. you said tears of joy. Never mind. :D

I added my ranking of those 32 films noir to the right of yours to compare.  We agree on many. 

More than I thought for.. but still miles apart on some. 

We disagree the most on these:

Kiss Me Deadly

Red Light

The Asphalt Jungle

The Gangster

White Heat

The two that surprised me most there were The Gangster and White Heat. Somehow I thought you'd have them higher.. but otherwise, I can totally see how we missed each other all the way around on the rest. 

And, believe it or not, I haven't seen one of your list.  I'm slipping!  I need to watch Shadow on the Wall.

Well I can't say you missed much with that one. ha. But YOU might like it better than I did, given my track record with you. :D

On a side note, I watched a film last night that featured you and Miss G

Ha!!! That's ME all over (this is how I dress for a Saturday night out on the town with the QT.. ha. Complete with the shotgun of course!) What in the world movie is this from?? And I imagine if the fair gal from Hawaii is in this film too, then (as in real life) Miss G must look like the polar opposite of ME. :D

Hiya, Madhat Molo, 

Alright the list is in! I knew you could do it

Ha..well that made one of us. I was not as sure, but it worked out ok. 

There are three films on there that I want to view soon. White Heat (I know, I'm slow) as well as Kiss Me Deadly (which I think I did see  a long time ago) and The Gangster which you and Frank were discussing and now I'm curious to see it myself. 

I bet you will like Kiss Me Deadly more than I did. It was just not one I really had much fun with (except in making fun of some of the things I did not like about it. HA!) But I am sure I was being too hard on it, just because it was not my "cup-o-tea". I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on White Heat and also The Gangster. I know that neither of these were not entirely what I expected (in terms of  how much I ended up liking them) Will be interesting to see what  you think. 

Out of the Past at number seven? Not too shabby. Glad you finally got to see that one

Me too. That one and Deadline at Dawn (oh.. and Too Late for Tears) were three that I really was sorry to have missed when they were on, so I was glad I found other ways to watch them. 

Not surprisingly we are probably in the most disagreement with Too Late for Tears. I thought Dan Duryea might have bumped it up a little higher for you but oh well.

I have to say that HE was probably my most favorite part of the whole film. I really was just very impressed by him in this movie. But I think I also found I am not much of a Lizbeth Scott fan. )though I confess I am not nearly as familiar with her as I should be in order to say that) There is just something about her that rubs me the wrong way.. not sure what it is. But also.. her character in this film I felt was just so wholly unlikable for me that I just wanted to push her out that window myself (long before she fell out, ha) 

Ok.. that was harsh. I think I am getting cranky again. :D

I noticed Detour sitting there firmly in the middle. I wasn't sure you liked it that much.

The parts of it I liked I liked really well. The parts I struggled over made it hard to rank it any higher. But overall.. I did enjoy it. 

My favorite "new to me" film from this discussion was a film that wasn't even scheduled, that would be Man Hunt.

That is one I never got to.. but it is on my list to check it out based on the things folks had to say about it. 

I am so glad you started up this discussion Ro. It has been a lot of fun and it was great to see a lot of old friends join in.

I had a lot of fun too. I enjoyed some really great movies... and getting to chat w/ some really great folks too. (OH.. and then there was all that back yard BBQ food!! ha. We got to have ALL those tasty treats and NO worries about the calories! woo hoo!) 

Now we just have to get you a DVD of Macao so you can fast forward through Jane's singing!

NOOOOO!!!!!! This is the Noir Walk thread.. NOT the "Torture Thread" ha. (that is over in another forum.. where I get to be one of the "torturers".. not the "tortur-ee" ha. :D

Happy Birthday Rohanaka!!!

Maltese.jpg?t=1443184469

Oh and here is your cake:

Birthday-Cake-Pictures-with-Candles.jpg?

Don't worry I turned off the smoke detectors!! HA!HA!HA!HA!

Oh I'm just kidding! I saw that picture and just had to use it! :)

You know I can't help but be a wise guy sometimes.

Seriously though.

Here is your real cake:

chocolate-birthday.jpg?t=1443185440

I hope you like chocolate and I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

• Like 1

Happy Birthday twinnie and fellow Libra!  Have a fabulous and blessed day! 

Watch out for the Headless Horseman!

!tumblr_mv7l16LlBr1rdfgw4o1_400.gif

• Like 1

I'm pressed for time, but I definitely wanted to stop in and wish my favorite hangwoman a "Happy Birthday"!  I hope you have a wonderful time with your wonderful family, Quiet Gal.  All the best!  And I hope you don't receive more frozen ropes as your gift.  You've got plenty as is!  :D  Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

HELLO there, Molo, Movieman, Miss B, and The Grey Dude..

Thank you all so much for the lovely birthday wishes!! It's been a very nice day. Seeing notes from friends like you make it all the nicer too. :) 

PS: Grey Dude 

I hope you don't receive more frozen ropes as your gift.  You've got plenty as is! 

NO such thing as "plenty" when it comes to keeping up with my inventory of frozen ropes. ha. I need them always at the ready!! (they come in awfully handy for dealing with shady, shadowy characters and ne'er do wells of all sorts, ha!) :D

And hey.. MOLO!! Be sure to tell Bogie and the gang THANKS for the lovely gift!! (Just what I always wanted!!)  :D

As for the cake.. ha.. 

I'm just kidding! I saw that picture and just had to use it!

What.. was it a picture of YOUR birthday cake from last month??? Hahahahaha.. and HA!! (payback!) :D

You know I can't help but be a wise guy sometimes.

Yes. I know. Between you and the Grey guy I likely will NEED more rope soon. :P

Here is your real cake:

Whoa, baby.. now THAT is a Birthday cake!! Thanks!! :D

OH, and PS: Miss B...

Watch out for the Headless Horseman

Woo.. if I run into HIM I will just call in Godzilla to blast him with his fire breath. ha. (Can't take any chances!!) :D

• Like 2

happy-birthday_animated_89.gif

Happy Birthday, Ro

Happy, Happy

(...not only that very special day...

but all the days of your life)

==

laffite

• Like 1

Thank you Mr. Pirate, for the lovely cake (woo.. with sparkles!) and for the very kind birthday wish, too!! 

Barb, I don't think Ro needs such elaborate means to light the candles on her cake.

That's one scary dude. I'm frightened. And pirates aren't supposed to say that.

I was always leery of anyone in the -zilla family.

--

• Like 1

Ha.. Laffite,

That's just my sweet little twin sister from the Bronx responding to the comment I made earlier about her birthday wish to me. Godzilla is a close personal friend to us. ha. It wouldn't be a birthday party (for her or for me) without him!! :D

Thanks Miss B!! The Big Guy is always a welcome addition ha.  :D

• Like 1

Ha.. Laffite,

That's just my sweet little twin sister from the Bronx responding to the comment I made earlier about her birthday wish to me. Godzilla is a close personal friend to us. ha. It wouldn't be a birthday party (for her or for me) without him!! :D

Thanks Miss B!! The Big Guy is always a welcome addition ha.   :D

Oh, sheepish laffite, out of the loop again.

With friends like that, you'll have no enemies.

I guess I'll accept that -zilla, since his first name is God.

• Like 2