Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Walk on the Noir Side

rohanaka

Well, The Gunfighter is still a gunfighter, he just wants to change. We see what

Link is capable of in Man of the West.

But I wonder what we would think of "Link" if we saw him doing bad.

But westerns that are all about villains who later change, not too many I can think

of in the classic era.

It's not about the villains, either. It's about the hero.

Maybe Garden of Evil. All the men have disreputable pasts and are basically

mercenaries. Richard Widmark makes the most startling shift in values.

Hmmmmmmmmm, now that sounds interesting. Widmark is almost always worth

the price of admission. Unless he's making baby faces.

The Magnificent Seven?

They are mercenaries but I believe they are always shown doing good. Movieman can

clean that one up.

Well, westerns ARE full of "saloon gals" with hearts of gold.

Are there any "saloon gals" with hearts of coal? You know, Miss G-types? :PThe Shooting!

Oh, wait, she's not a "saloon gal."

>

> But I wonder what we would think of "Link" if we saw him doing bad.

>

I sometimes wonder about that.

>

> It's not about the villains, either. It's about the hero.

>

You mean a "grey hero".

>

> Hmmmmmmmmm, now that sounds interesting. Widmark is almost always worth

> the price of admission. Unless he's making baby faces.

>

He's the liveliest character in the movie.

>

> Are there any "saloon gals" with hearts of coal? You know, Miss G-types? :PThe Shooting!

> Oh, wait, she's not a "saloon gal."

She's not a lot of things.

>

> Are the 3 Bad Men "grey heroes"?

>

By the terms you said: showing the "bad" guys doing bad. To

me they are not thoroughly bad, or they'd never have been phased

about Lee. They'd have gone on doing what they planned.

>

> Next to Coop, EVERYONE would be! :P :p :P

>

Very funny.

> She's not a lot of things.

>

> But she's entertaining. Kind of like you.

She is NOT like me at all, what an insult! I mean "personal attack". Where'd

the yellow triangles go? :P

By the terms you said: showing the "bad" guys doing bad. To

me they are not thoroughly bad, or they'd never have been phased

about Lee. They'd have gone on doing what they planned.

Yet they are thiefs. That is very film noir, to me. Skip McCoy (Richard Widmark

in Pickup on South Street).

She is NOT like me at all, what an insult! I mean "personal attack". Where'd

the yellow triangles go?

I said you were entertaining! All right, you are right, you're a bore like me! Or is it "boar"? :P

>

> Yet they are thiefs. That is very film noir, to me. Skip McCoy (Richard Widmark

> in Pickup on South Street).

>

You think they're similar? I don't know, did Skip end up doing anything

admirable? I don't remember, honestly.

> She is NOT like me at all, what an insult! I mean "personal attack". Where'd

> the yellow triangles go?

>

> I said you were entertaining! All right, you are right, you're a bore like me! Or is it "boar"? :P

You know what I mean, she was a bad actress and had an annoying manner. BE CAREFUL.

You think they're similar? I don't know, did Skip end up doing anything

admirable? I don't remember, honestly.

Yes, he does something admirable.

You know what I mean, she was a bad actress and had an annoying manner. BE CAREFUL.

I don't know about you as an actress but the annoying manner... well, um... Did I mention

you were entertaining? :P

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> You think they're similar? I don't know, did Skip end up doing anything

> admirable? I don't remember, honestly.

>

> Yes, he does something admirable.

>

To get this back to Miss Peacemaker's original intention, do you think

she'd like Pickup on South Street? I'm not sure. I'm not sure

I like it. I like it okay, I'm just not wild about it. It's very interesting

and unique, I'll say.

To get this back to Miss Peacemaker's original intention, do you think

she'd like Pickup on South Street? I'm not sure. I'm not sure

I like it. I like it okay, I'm just not wild about it. It's very interesting

and unique, I'll say.

No, I don't believe she'd like Pickup on South Street. It's a very tough film noir with

a rebellious, invidualist overtone. I believe she would like the tension involved, the stylish

look, Thelma Ritter, and possibly the ending. I believe Jackie may like it more. But I

will say that the Quiet Gal is a tough one to predict, and I like that. I really don't know

Jackie's tastes with film noir, either.

No, I don't believe she'd like Pickup on South Street. It's a very tough film noir with

a rebellious, invidualist overtone. I believe she would like the tension involved, the stylish

look, Thelma Ritter, and possibly the ending.

So what's NOT to like???????????????????????????? ha. Oh wait, you mean the tough rebeliious individualist overtone???????? HA! I live w/ a SIX YEAR OLD. Nothing scares ME...ha.

Ok, seriously... what specifically do you think would turn me off (and PS, I LOVE Thelma, by the way)

I will say that the Quiet Gal is a tough one to predict, and I like that. I really don't know

Jackie's tastes with film noir, either.

Ha... why do you REALLY think we popped IN to this forum???? Just to keep you GUESSING..ha.

And PS.... I have a TRUE STORY to tell you about a REAL LIFE "noir" incident that happened to me just this past weekend... ha.

But I don't know, April.. do you think his heart can take it???????

So what's NOT to like???????????????????????????? ha. Oh wait, you mean

the tough rebeliious individualist overtone???????? HA! I live w/ a SIX YEAR OLD.

Nothing scares ME...ha.

:D It wouldn't scare you. You don't scare easily. You're a tough gal... which I like.

Ok, seriously... what specifically do you think would turn me off

I don't want to spoil it for you. It's my second favorite film noir, behind

Scarlet Street. It's a pretty tough one. I think you'd find it to be a mixed

bag. It's my favorite Richard Widmark film and performance... but I still have to

see Night and the City.

Let's just say, if you end up liking a film noir such as Pickup on South Street, you'll

end up liking more film noir that I would ever guess.

(and PS, I LOVE Thelma, by the way)

Ohhhh, she's fantastic in Pickup on South Street. I believe her greatest screen

moment is in this film. She's darling.

Ha... why do you REALLY think we popped IN to this forum???? Just to keep you GUESSING..ha.

You've got me guessing! I really don't know what your thoughts will be with film noir. It

would be like me watching some 30s films.

And PS.... I have a TRUE STORY to tell you about a REAL LIFE "noir" incident that

happened to me just this past weekend... ha.

But I don't know, April.. do you think his heart can take it???????

You know that I don't have a heart! That's been well established. Don't tell me you robbed

a bank with QTClyde and you're on the lam.

Hello MY DEAR Grey Friend..

It wouldn't scare you. You don't scare easily. You're a tough gal... which I like.

Ha... well, I AINT as tough as I used to be. I think I am wearing out, ha. And scary is a relative term.. ha. Some things are scarier to me than OTHERS. ha.

I don't want to spoil it for you. It's my second favorite film noir, behind

Scarlet Street. It's a pretty tough one. I think you'd find it to be a mixed

bag.

Well I tell you what, I will add it to my "check it out" list and see what happens.

It's my favorite Richard Widmark film and performance

Aw. man.. WIDMARK is in it???????? Yick. ha. (kidding, only kidding. All you Richard Widmark fans can just go sit back down..ha.) he is admittedly NOT my fave, but I DO like him in a couple of roles, so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It would be like me watching some 30s films.

Oh perish the thought..ha.

You know that I don't have a heart! That's been well established

DON'T try to sell that to me, Mr. "Parts of Only Angels Have Wings, Desty Rides Again, and How Green Was My Valley made me cry (those were all I could think of off the top of my head, I am SURE if I sat here longer... I would come up w/ a few more. ha)

Don't tell me you robbed

a bank with QTClyde and you're on the lam

Ha.. NO, nothing quite so "dangerous" as that.

Ok... here goes....

Last weekend we were at a fair (a town near us always has a big deal in September) and we let the kidling ride a few carnival rides. And of course we HAD to do the Merry Go Round.

So she is walking and walking and walking all over the merry go round while everyone is picking their ponies, and she is looking at all the horses that were left open. And she did not see the one she was looking for evidently because the next thing I knew she was getting on a PIG. (and knowing how MUCH she loves anything to do w/ horses I found that a HUGE surprise) So when she got off the ride I asked her why she chose a pig instead of one of the horses.

And my little classic movie fan in the making says to me:

"Because it was PINK. I wanted to "Ride the Pink Horse" just like your movie, but I had to "Ride the Pink PIG instead".

HA!!!!!!!! (I have turned my daughter into a NOIR NUT and I didn't even know it.) :D

Ok... it was funny to ME...ha. Sorry for bringing a little "sunshine" into your shadow world, mister grey..ha. But I thought of it again today for some reason and it just cracked me up, so I had to tell you.) ha.

Hello MY DEAR Grey Friend..

My Furies!

Ha... well, I AINT as tough as I used to be. I think I am wearing out, ha. And scary

is a relative term.. ha. Some things are scarier to me than OTHERS. ha.

Ohhh, yes, I know what you mean. Miss G is quite snippy. You did say "snippy," right? :P

Boo!

Aw. man.. WIDMARK is in it???????? Yick. ha. (kidding, only kidding. All you

Richard Widmark fans can just go sit back down..ha.) he is admittedly NOT my

fave, but I DO like him in a couple of roles, so I am going to give him the benefit

of the doubt.

If you don't like Widmark, you're really not going to like him in Pickup on South Street.

Oh perish the thought..ha.

Done and done!

DON'T try to sell that to me, Mr. "Parts of Only Angels Have Wings, Desty Rides

Again, and How Green Was My Valley made me cry (those were all I could think

of off the top of my head, I am SURE if I sat here longer... I would come up w/ a few

more. ha)

Crocodile tears!

Ha.. NO, nothing quite so "dangerous" as that.

Drat!

And my little classic movie fan in the making says to me:

"Because it was PINK. I wanted to "Ride the Pink Horse" just like your movie, but

I had to "Ride the Pink PIG instead".

That is adorable! That makes my week. :) Little girls are too much fun. It's just too bad

they grow up to be mean women. :P

Ok... it was funny to ME...ha. Sorry for bringing a little "sunshine" into your shadow

world, mister grey..ha. But I thought of it again today for some reason and it just

cracked me up, so I had to tell you.) ha.

Sunshine?! Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Where's my comfy coffin?!

My Furies!

Paid for all in TC's no doubt. :P

Crocodile tears!

Sure... tell me another one (meanwhile, here's a hanky for you..ha)

That is adorable! That makes my week

Ha.. she can come up w/ some doosies now and then. She is my free entertainment most of the time. .

Little girls are too much fun. It's just too bad

they grow up to be mean women.

Well, I can't speak for ALL females everywhere, only myself. But there is likely TOO much evidence against me to deny that too much..ha (and YOU thought you were going to get an arguement out of me..ha) Let's hope the apple fell a little further from the tree this time. I want her to be as KIND as the day is long. (but SOME days are admittedly shorter than others..ha)

HEY... lest you think I started this thread just to chew the fat and tell you stories about my KID.... ha..

Guess what I just watched a few moments ago.... PART ONE of Scarlett Street. (It was one of my easier finds, so I decided to give it a try...)

Poor Edward G is headed for trouble and it is only the first ten minutes of the movie...

Paid for all in TC's no doubt.

I've been saving up!

Ha.. she can come up w/ some doosies now and then. She is my free entertainment

most of the time.

The best kind of entertainment.

Well, I can't speak for ALL females everywhere, only myself. But there is likely

TOO much evidence against me to deny that too much..ha (and YOU thought

you were going to get an arguement out of me..ha)

Honesty. I like that. Now let's see if the meanest girl on the board admits to her being

cruel to me. :D

Let's hope the apple fell a little further from the tree this time. I want her to be as

KIND as the day is long. (but SOME days are admittedly shorter than others..ha)

Well, she does like to hang out in the yard with dad, so there is hope. :)

Guess what I just watched a few moments ago.... PART ONE of Scarlett Street. (It

was one of my easier finds, so I decided to give it a try...)

What?! Uh-oh. You're really turning up the heat on me now.

Poor Edward G is headed for trouble and it is only the first ten minutes of the movie.

Ohhhh, no, no, no. He'll be just fine. It's film noir. He's got it all under control.

It's funny how each individual remembers and takes away unique things from the movies

they've seen. Pickup on South Street is a nifty little flick, but I don't recall all the

details of Thelma Ritter's character. Richard Widmark was the star, of course, and he

is better remembered, though not all the nuances can be recalled. On the other hand,

Jean Peters' performance is vividly etched in memory, starting with the first scene in

the subway car, which is an obvious metaphor of the film's characters and the milieu

they exist in, underground, unconcerned with the bourgeois values that are part of the

culture above them. In short, I like Candy.

One little noted aspect of Pickup on South Street was the environmental theme

of the movie. Widmark finds multiple uses for old newspapers, and uses the natural

cooling effects of the river to keep his brews cold. This was quite an early example of

green consciousness in a crime film when such things were unusual for the genre and

the time period. Of course, in some respects, Widmark was simply building on a theme

already glimpsed in his earlier role as Tommy Udo in Kiss of Death. In this previous

movie, Widmark sports a generously proportioned hat that, when turned upside down,

doubles as a lunch pail and an early version of the European carry all. And Udo's given

profession made him an early practitioner of reducing individuals' carbon footprint.

Since Widmark was a well-known liberal, it shouldn't be surprising that he was willing

to bring these issues into the film world. Some French critics have even started to dub

these films that combine crime drama and environmental awareness film vert.

Archived