Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

I love being talked about when I'm not around. It's nice to be thought of.

Even though this is a "film noir" thread, we just can't have these dames running you over like they are prone to do. I don't know what comes over them.

> Even those this is a "film noir" thread, we just can't have these dames running you over like they are prone to do. I don't know what comes over them.

We're running to get away from you!

Photobucket

Ah, family life.

We're running to get away from you!

That's because I'm sweet and kind and y'all are bad!

Ah, family life.

That got a laugh out of me! :DRaising Arizona. Or is it The Sugarland Express?

Ace of Base, eh? I would have never guessed you drop that one on us.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> And that's the song a girl would sing about me! How did you know?! :P

I saw the sign.

Of course, now that song will be implanted in my brain for the next three days.... it's way too catchy.

I saw the sign.

:D I thought you saw the other one: Dead End. Geez, I really am a film noir guy.

Of course, now that song will be implanted in my brain for the next three days.... it's way too catchy.

This is for someone snippy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-y33Uq6HGs

And then there's me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpOKx4y6B98

She needs a good clubbin'! :P

But, no, Miss Gun for Hire is a femme fatale. And the worst kind. A nagging one! :P

I am NOT snippy! And I do like that song but the only one who can drag me to any cave is Ethan--crtainly not ol' Mose here.

Ethan would want to scalp you after just a few minutes of your nagging!

Just give me a rockin' chair and I'll be happy, ma'am. Thank you, kindly.

> Ethan would want to scalp you after just a few minutes of your nagging!

>

he can scalp me if that's what he wants. i can offer him a different option. :P

> Just give me a rockin' chair and I'll be happy, ma'am. Thank you, kindly.

no you wouldn't! you'd be nagging poor mrs jorgensen about her cooking, SawDustEater!

he can scalp me if that's what he wants. i can offer him a different option. :P

Yeah, slaps and kicks... and more nagging!

no you wouldn't! you'd be nagging poor mrs jorgensen about her cooking, SawDustEater!

I eat good food! Pennsylvania Dutch!

Somehow, I don't see you eating a lot of sauerkraut or pigs intestines.

A steady diet of pretzels and beer maybe. Scrapple?

> he can scalp me if that's what he wants. i can offer him a different option. :P

>

> Yeah, slaps and kicks... and more nagging!

>

No, that's only for mulish slobs!

> no you wouldn't! you'd be nagging poor mrs jorgensen about her cooking, SawDustEater!

>

> I eat good food! Pennsylvania Dutch!

Pennsylvania Dutch in 1880s Texas? That'll be the day.

Hey, Mr. Hughes -- I watched My Name is Julia Ross, last night. I'm scratching my head as to why you consider the film a "can't live without film noir." It played like a lesser Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte and Gaslight. And I do like both of those films.

I thought the ending was on the far-fetched side.

Nina Foch reminded me of Anne Baxter.

SPOILER

I would have liked the film a lot more if it turned out that Julia was really sick.

So what do you like about it?

*So what do you like about it?*

A strong independent female lead who is neither a man-crusher nor starry-eyed. She kept her senses about her and fought to save herself. I find that extremely refreshing, especially for that time and in a film noir. It is the anti-Gaslight, a movie that I generally find unbearable (note: that's more of a reference to Cukor's version than to Dickinson's).

Also, Lewis' direction and Burnett Guffey's cinematography (second only to John Alton's).

Then, two other reasons: (1) George, & (2) Macready.

*I thought the ending was on the far-fetched side.*

Please! You want verisimilitude in your noir? The time and budget were up, so the movie had to end.

A strong independent female lead who is neither a man-crusher nor starry-eyed. She kept her senses about her and fought to save herself. I find that extremely refreshing, especially for that time and in a film noir. It is the anti-Gaslight, a movie that I generally find unbearable (note: that's more of a reference to Cukor's version than to Dickinson's).

That's an excellent point, ChiO. Julia (Nina Foch) does take the initiative to save herself. In that regard, it is the anti-Gaslight. You're very right. Julia is very crafty, a thinking woman's woman, if you will.

Also, Lewis' direction and Burnett Guffey's cinematography (second only to John Alton's).

Yes, both were very good.

Then, two other reasons: (1) George, & (2) Macready.

He was what I liked most about the film, actually.

Please! You want verisimilitude in your noir? The time and budget were up, so the movie had to end.

It wasn't that so much it was very convenient how it ended, which lead to a "huh," with me. How in the world did that ending all come to be? And then you got the "marriage" send-off.

And besides...who can resist five gorgeous hunks of sweaty, dirty, hard riding men on horseback who...oh crap! Wrong thread. See you over in the Western rambles where Claudia Cardinale's waiting. She's looking pretty sweaty herself.

I just watched "The Naked City." I don't know who had the great idea of having Barry Fitzgerald in the lead but that was a wonderful idea. Some of the other actors weren't so great. The narration was annoying in some parts.

Some of it was fun in "Spot The Famous To-Be Actor." Cameos by Kathleen Freeman, James Gregory (who was awfully young but the voice seemed to close not to be his) and Paul Ford.

I don't think it is the end all of noir but it was a pretty good film.

I actually enjoy the ending to the naked city more than what comes before it. The chase scenes are very exciting and it helps they were on location.

James Gregory, that man worked, especially in television.

The chase scenes were good. The finale across that bridge and up the tower was certainly exciting especially with the high angle shots. I guess Barry was too old to run so they have to get Taylor to do it.

(My father's name is Don Taylor so it is funny to see that name in any film credits.)

I really wasn't expecting much from that movie, but I really enjoyed it. Barry Fitzgerald is just fantastic. I don't think the movie would be half as good without him.

I love James Gregory. He looked like a rumpled middle aged man even when he was young. That was his very first role, in The Naked City. I just saw him in Onionhead the other day.... he was just as good then as when he was on Barney Miller. God he was great on that show.....

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 17, 2010 10:19 AM

I loved Barry in this, too. Refreshing to see him in that milieu. His skeptical nature suited a police detective somehow.

James Gregory was on "Barney Miller"? I remember seeing episodes as a kid but I don't recall him. I bet he looked just the same. And yes, he's one of those "born middle aged/old" types, it's true, ha! They look old when they're young but when they truly hit their golden years, they never seem to age.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I loved Barry in this, too. Refreshing to see him in that milieu. His skeptical nature suited a police detective somehow.

I know - it was inspired casting, because you would never think of him in that type of movie, but he was so energetic, wizened and sort of "the calm in the eye of the storm"....

> James Gregory was on "Barney Miller"? I remember seeing episodes as a kid but I don't recall him. I bet he looked just the same. And yes, he's one of those "born middle aged/old" types, it's true, ha! They look old when they're young but when they truly hit their golden years, they never seem to age.

That is so true! He does look exactly the same. He was this awful character - when he walks into the precinct, you start yawning - a boring old man who makes you uncomfortable. He just makes your skin crawl.

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 17, 2010 10:51 AM