Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

Recommended Posts

Is anyone from the Philadelphia area planning on going to see *Pitfall* on Sat. 10/30? Maybe we could carpool??? --- Mary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy there Miss G,

 

looking at Evelyn, one of the reasons I didn't recognize her at first, aside from her appearance, is her demeanor. She acts frightened so much of the time, that I couldn't always tell if she was really falling for Webb or just sort of psyched by him into believing she was in love with him. She looked like a frightened rabbit being charmed by a cobra

 

That is a great way to describe her.. she was quite "mesmerized" wasn't she... and re: her appearance.. I have to confess.. I am not as familiar with her as I likely should be (though once I found out who was playing her I was like, "OH YEAH.. that's it!" but I really could not place her until after the movie was over and they showed the credits. She did not look like I was picturing her in my mind for sure. (but then..ha. THAT is no indicator as my mind IS a bit cluttered.. ha. I can't say how reliable it is for pulling up names and faces these days.. must be "old fogey-ness" creeping in on me... ha.)

 

You know what you just made me think of to compare her husband to? Another "Webb": Clifton. Clifton Webb's "Waldo Lydecker" was ALSO this sort of sentimental slob in his radio show ("Sentiment comes easily at 50 cents a word") so there's yet ANOTHER connection to another film noir. I'm beginning to think this movie is an "homage" of sorts, to film noir, lol

 

I had to look him up.. ha. (see. I TOLD you I was getting "clutter brained" ha) I am searching my memory banks and I am not sure if I have seen Laura or not. I THINK I might have.. but remember so little about it.. I could be wrong.. (remember I thought I had seen WOTRW only to find out it was the OTHER John Wayne movie with an octopus in it??? ha) :D But I bet you are right.. based on some of the comparisons you are making this could very well be a type of "homage" to other noirs.. or at least a send up to some favorites anyway... guess it would depend on when this film was made and when the others came out.. but I am NO one to ask about that.. ha. they all sort of run together (time wise) for me. :-)

 

I didn't think at first that he was locking things away from her...I thought maybe he was trying to cut down on smoking, hence her comment about "delaying" (another great line). Didn't she say something about how a delay getting something sometimes caused you to lose interest in it?

 

I am not sure why but for some reason I am remembering that exchange differently. Because I am remember thinking she was implying that "delay" or " getting slowed down" was something that would enable a person to catch you when you were doing something wrong. (sort of like.. she was warning him to not get caught in the trap her husband had set) It is what made me think her husband did not trust her to stay out of his stuff.. and also maybe she was referreing to "other things" as well because it almost sounded like another one of those "dripping with suggestion" moments only this time on HER part.. sort of an early veiled warning that they could not get involved because if they "fooled around" too long her husband would find out somehow. But I MIGHT be reading more into that was meant.. and I totally could be wrong about it anyway.. I would need to hear it again.. because. ha.. Did I mention my brain was "cluttered?" HA! :D

 

He was a real CAT...he could insinuate himself almost anywhere he wanted to be. But oddly enough, he didn't even strike me as the kind of guy who'd need to make so much effort if he didn't have such lofty ambitions where money is concerned. His partner liked him and all his fellow officers seemed to cheer for him when the inquest was over. That's why I think he had it made all the time but didn't know it. He never seemed to get over his background...remember how he went on about their childhood with Evelyn? He kept pointing out the differences in their level of privilege.

 

Ha.. maybe he was some sort of mutant hybrid.. "snake cat" ha. They both are good at stealth AND at "hypnotizing" their victims. But you are right.. He COULD have had a pretty happy life (it seems) just be being satisfied with what he DID have instead of lusting (literally) after what he did not. He strikes me as on of those people who will NEVER have enough to make him happy. Once he gets what he thinks he wants.. then he finds one MORE thing to want.. and then all he can do is try and figure out a way to get it.. no matter what. What a selfish (and sad) way to live. (and VERY dangerous to the people he comes in contact with as well)

 

SPOILER ALERT

I must have stepped away when she gave the baby to the doc because I didn't know that

 

They don't show her giving him the baby.. the doctor just comes outside carrying the baby and then when Webb goes in to check on her.. the doc gets in his car and drives off (taking Web's keys w/ him) But then later she tells Webb what she did and why. I still am remembering what a huge suprise it was because I just did not see that coming. (I had forgotten that she found his gun in his suitcase on their wedding night.. so she knew he had lied about how he felt about the shooting, etc)

 

OH those seeds of doubt.. they DO sprout up eventually.. and when hers finally opened up and started to grow..WOW did she ever "bloom" into action .ha. Ok.. that was a bit of a stretch.. ha. (But hey.. what can you expect from a cluttered mind like mine??? ha.)

 

Edited by: rohanaka on Sep 22, 2010 10:30 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I had to look him up.. ha. (see. I TOLD you I was getting "clutter brained" ha) I am searching my memory banks and I am not sure if I have seen Laura or not. I THINK I might have.. but remember so little about it.. I could be wrong.. (remember I thought I had seen WOTRW only to find out it was the OTHER John Wayne movie with an octopus in it??? ha) :D But I bet you are right.. based on some of the comparisons you are making this could very well be a type of "homage" to other noirs.. or at least a send up to some favorites anyway... guess it would depend on when this film was made and when the others came out.. but I am NO one to ask about that.. ha. they all sort of run together (time wise) for me. :-)

>

 

Well, there's another goodie you should see one day...because it's my tippy top favorite film noir. :)

I think you'd enjoy Waldo Lydecker. He's something else.

 

> I am not sure why but for some reason I am remembering that exchange differently. Because I am remember thinking she was implying that "delay" or " getting slowed down" was something that would enable a person to catch you when you were doing something wrong. (sort of like.. she was warning him to not get caught in the trap her husband had set) It is what made me think her husband did not trust her to stay out of his stuff.. and also maybe she was referreing to "other things" as well because it almost sounded like another one of those "dripping with suggestion" moments only this time on HER part.. sort of an early veiled warning that they could not get involved because if they "fooled around" too long her husband would find out somehow. But I MIGHT be reading more into that was meant.. and I totally could be wrong about it anyway.. I would need to hear it again.. because. ha.. Did I mention my brain was "cluttered?" HA! :D

 

Not cluttered at all, I like your interpretation better. And I do believe Evelyn's words had significance beyond the cigarettes, etc. She was pointedly trying to tell Webb (and herself?) a warning. She looked so scared while she said it. I believe her fear was of herself and her attraction to Webb at that point. So what you say makes sense, that her husband was probably a suspicious type who would put two-and-two together pretty quickly if they started messing around. She didn't want to lose what she had.

 

> He strikes me as on of those people who will NEVER have enough to make him happy. Once he gets what he thinks he wants.. then he finds one MORE thing to want.. and then all he can do is try and figure out a way to get it.. no matter what. What a selfish (and sad) way to live. (and VERY dangerous to the people he comes in contact with as well)

>

 

Yes, he doubtless would have gone on wanting "More", and in that he reveals not just the dangerous side of his nature, but the common side. Because in this respect...wanting more and more...he's no different than many in an increasingly materialistic society. He's a dangerous reflection of what was happening in the world.

 

 

> They don't show her giving him the baby.. the doctor just comes outside carrying the baby and then when Webb goes in to check on her.. the doc gets in his car and drives off (taking Web's keys w/ him) But then later she tells Webb what she did and why. I still am remembering what a huge suprise it was because I just did not see that coming. (I had forgotten that she found his gun in his suitcase on their wedding night.. so she knew he had lied about how he felt about the shooting, etc)

>

 

Oh, I really need to watch again because I missed that part where she tells Webb what she did with the baby.

 

> OH those seeds of doubt.. they DO sprout up eventually.. and when hers finally opened up and started to grow..WOW did she ever "bloom" into action .ha. Ok.. that was a bit of a stretch.. ha. (But hey.. what can you expect from a cluttered mind like mine??? ha.)

>

 

I like that both she and he kind of change at the end, or find something real in themselves through their desperation. He finds out maybe he cared about her and the baby after all, but not soon enough for it to really take root in his mind, and she confronts the worst about him and it makes her fearless for the first time in the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's no different than many in an increasingly materialistic society. He's a dangerous reflection of what was happening in the world

 

And still IS happening.. (with even more frequency these days), sad to say. (sigh)

 

I believe her fear was of herself and her attraction to Webb at that point

 

I think she was a good example of that whole "idle hands" expression.. when you have TOO much time on your hands and TOO little to look forward to in a days time.. or if you feel like you are sitting on the sidelines and life is passing you by (as I imagine she must have felt) then you are ripe for the picking for someone like Webb.. unless you have a lot more "moral fiber" or at the very least a lot more backbone than she had. (I know.. I sound like I am judging her awfully harshly.. but really.. he was only successful in all the things he did because she allowed him to be. She was a victim, but she was also very much to blame) I am glad she came to her senses.. although I wish for her sake it had been a little sooner rather than later. (but THEN we would not be able to sit around here and gab about her.. ha. And what would be the fun in THAT?? ha)

 

I really need to watch again because I missed that part where she tells Webb what she did with the baby

 

Oh golly.. ha. It all happened so quickly in the story (and it was two nights ago now since I watched it) now you have me hoping I am remembering it right. Go watch and let me know if I have my facts straight, because now that you are not recalling it, I'm worried and I am second guessing myself, ha. I hate when I can't remember stuff exactly.. but that is all what I am recalling for this part of the story... at the very least I think I am close. ("Clutter Brain Syndrome" can be very debilitating sometimes!! ha) :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE PROWLER SPOILED

 

What's the word, Miss Gun for Hire? -- What's funny is the movie is described as being about a cop obsessed with a married woman, but I think the way it played out she was the one who became obsessed with him (just as he wanted her to) and that his only interest from the start was the money she would inherit.

 

You're right, I also believe she went through her own obsession with Webb (Van Heflin). Isn't that how it kind of works with passion and even love? The two have their times of obsession?

 

But I'm with Kathy (yuck :P ), I think Webb was actually "crazy" about her more than the money, at least to start.

 

If I could speculate about any of the plausibility aspects, it would be that it seems a man as perceptive, intelligent and manipulative as Heflin would have risen to be Chief of police, if not mayor, had he tried. There was some indication he had a thing about authority, so maybe that's why such a smooth operator never went up, but he could have gone into politics with the smoothest of ease. Man, what an actor! (I mean the character, Webb, not just Heflin the performer).

 

I believe he lacked confidence and, as you say, he didn't like authority. His story about getting his scholarship taken away from him seems to be "the story of his life." He's blaming others for being wronged. He didn't get any breaks. To him, he was born a bad break.

 

But beyond his behavior, his body language and tone were perfect to suggest a man with something unsettling in his nature.

 

I completely agree. There's something wrong about him. Boy, is there ever.

 

but I guess we had to see that the victim was a real human being, not just a faceless, disembodied voice who was being murdered.

 

Excellent point.

 

In some ways, the movie kind of points up some mockeries people make of the

whole institution of marriage. Because it's real value is neglected by BOTH of

the principal characters. Evelen Keyes thinks she's missing something so

she embarks on a passionate affair, only realizing too, too late that what she

thought was "the real thing" was emptier than what she had before. Then there's

Webb, who actually ended up having it all and because he only focused on the

money and as you say, being "Boss", he lost it at the end. I point this out about

marriage because the irony struck me as they were leaving the church to rice

and old shoes and driving off, supposedly to happily ever after. It all seemed so

mocking.

 

That's fascinating. I see what you're saying about the quick wedding. It's as if anyone can "erase" a marriage and move onto another one.

 

Do you think Susan (Evelyn Keyes) ended up liking John (Sherry Hall) more than Webb? It's my belief that she was very happy with Webb. She seemed to only change when she figured out Webb actually murdered her husband.

 

And then you have the two truly happy marriages and who they are: two very

"ordinary" couples: Webb's partner's and Evelyn's brother-in-law and his wife.

There may be no excitement (I mean, Losey kind of hammers at us about his

partner's "hobby" with old rocks, ha) but each couple was very happy with what

they had.

 

That's a very good point. Those two couples are able to appreciate the simple things in life and love. They don't have the money to live a fancy life. Susan feels neglected by her husband. Her husband is the star and you get the feeling he doesn't treat her as his star.

 

Webb couldn't fit into that, he looked about ready to die when he

went to have dinner at his partner's house. I got a flash of Nicholas Ray's

On Dangerous Ground with that. Remember how Jim Wilson's (Robert

Ryan) partner always was asking him to come to dinner and he wouldn't come?

Both officers were really uneasy in settled, contented atmospheres.

Also, it reminded me of the dinner scene in In a Lonely Place.

 

Poor Webb! He was actually very patient with his partner and his rocks when you consider he's looking to meet up with the woman he's crazy about. I would feel the same as Webb.

 

Hey, even Webb's apartment was a lot like Jim Wilson's. Dank, dingy, and HOW SCARY

is it that he had that marksman poster up over his bed...showing his ability to, um,

hit the "target" every time? Each bullet hole went somewhere fatal, from what I could

see.

 

Nice catch! I didn't notice any of that.

 

Of course, they kind of downplayed Evelyn's looks in this, I thought. I didn't even recognize

her at first, she looked so dowdy.

 

I really liked her. I certainly felt as if she was a lonely housewife. She wished to be appreciated, but, mostly, to be desired. I liked how the talk of a school dance awakened her. She was back in high school with young girl thoughts.

 

Now my question for YOU (and anyone else), is, do you believe Webb was being straight when he said at the very end there, he really did love her? Or was he so far in denial of his true self and feelings that even if he meant the words, they weren't based on reality?

 

I thought he loved her. He really did have it all and I think he knew it. Then the pregnancy did them in.

 

By the way, do you believe Susan lied to the court about ever meeting Webb because she knew she was pregnant with his child?

 

I see what you're saying about the choice of hide-out. I think this is where

the director wanted to maybe create a setting that had some real resonance

for the finale. There is something haunted, empty and horrifyingly inhuman

about the place...prehistoric, like his partner and his wife said. "Best place

for old rocks"! Ha! But I doubt any old western pioneer woman had it as bad

to have her baby. There wasn't even four walls! There was something ghostly

about how that white sheet kept blowing off on Webb and he'd pin it back up.

Like the "ghost" of his murdered victim.

 

"Inhuman" is the perfect word for it. Susan went from a boring but comfortable existence to an ugly, horrifying existence. Strangely, I think she would have been okay with it. I think she loved Webb and she now has a daughter, something she always wanted. Could she continue to live in such a world? No. Nobody could.

 

Because looking at Evelyn, one of the reasons I didn't recognize her at first, aside from her appearance, is her demeanor. She acts frightened so much of the time, that I couldn't always tell if she was really falling for Webb or just sort of psyched by him into believing she was in love with him. She looked like a frightened rabbit being charmed by a cobra. His type has found his ideal psychological "prey" in such a woman. It makes her character very vulnerable and touching to me. I can see from the start she never wanted this. And I liked what she said to him: "I began to hate him (her husband) and I realize now it was not because of anything he did to me but what I was doing to him." That was great. In fact, if I haven't arleady said so, I think the script for this film has some really excellent lines, very insightful.

 

That was terrific. Susan is who fascinates me in The Prowler. What had me shaking my head was how she could slap Webb three times (like you do!) and tell him to get out and then invite him back in and start dancing with him and then kissing him. Women! But I think I get it. I believe she was slapping herself even more than slapping Webb. I think she was interested in him and she was doing all she could to push him away. She hated that she was tempted.

 

As you say, Susan is just full of guilt.

 

Where's the score, Quiet Gal? -- As it turns out I think he really DID want that baby... though he saw the timing of it all as the major problem (rather than the child itself) I might be wrong.. but it just seemed that way to me.

 

I'm with ya. He was emotional when she told him about her carrying their child. He hugs her. Then the problem with having a child entered his mind.

 

I got my first "uneasy" feeling for him very early on, especially when he made that crack to his partner about her "imagining' a prowler... more or less right in front of her. The very tone of his voice was dripping w/ "suggestion". (or at least it seemed that way to me)

 

Boy, was he really accusatory of Susan. You get the feeling he didn't respect woman.

 

He kept all his cigarettes and other "important stuff" locked up so she couldn't get in them (even though she wasn't a smoker.. maybe he THOUGHT she might get into his stuff) To me it was like he just did not trust her to think for herself at all. He wanted a "pretty wife" waiting JUST for him in his pretty home, with no life for her own. Maybe I am reading too much into it all.. but GEE, no WONDER she was such an easy vicitm for someone like Webb.

 

And Webb was right to say John keeps Susan "locked up," too. John is evidently looking to own and control Susan. She's a possession. She's in a trap and it's taking its toll on her.

 

By the way, WHAT did you think of the BROTHER in law being so dadgum GOOD natured about Webb? (Oh gee.. you killed my brother but it was only an accident.. now you are marrying his wife.. let's be pals. HA! That would have to be the OTHER "plausability" issue I had with this movie)

 

You're right, that was very odd. I can't say I really bought into it. In fact, this entire film was quite strange. It's crazy. I liked it, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> THE PROWLER SPOILED

>

 

Hello, Webb,

 

 

> You're right, I also believe she went through her own obsession with Webb (Van Heflin). Isn't that how it kind of works with passion and even love? The two have their times of obsession?

>

 

It's true. One starts out in control, then the other.

 

> But I'm with Kathy (yuck :P ), I think Webb was actually "crazy" about her more than the money, at least to start.

>

 

I'm not sure. The way he was sizing up the place made me think her money was always in the back of his mind. Certainly after he saw the Will.

 

>

> I believe he lacked confidence and, as you say, he didn't like authority. His story about getting his scholarship taken away from him seems to be "the story of his life." He's blaming others for being wronged. He didn't get any breaks. To him, he was born a bad break.

>

 

Isn't that an ultimate film noir character?

 

>

> That's fascinating. I see what you're saying about the quick wedding. It's as if anyone can "erase" a marriage and move onto another one.

>

 

Yes, and both of Evelyn's marriages were ultimately based on shifty reasons. Security only in the first one, and passion only in the second.

 

> Do you think Susan (Evelyn Keyes) ended up liking John (Sherry Hall) more than Webb? It's my belief that she was very happy with Webb. She seemed to only change when she figured out Webb actually murdered her husband.

>

 

I agree with you, she really fell for Webb. It wasn't until the scales fell from eyes that her feelings changed. I think any feelings she had about John were based on guilt.

 

> That's a very good point. Those two couples are able to appreciate the simple things in life and love. They don't have the money to live a fancy life. Susan feels neglected by her husband. Her husband is the star and you get the feeling he doesn't treat her as his star.

>

 

Even Webb is like that. It's really all about him.

 

> Poor Webb! He was actually very patient with his partner and his rocks when you consider he's looking to meet up with the woman he's crazy about. I would feel the same as Webb.

>

 

I have to see it again. I just thought he could get out of there fast enough.

 

> Nice catch! I didn't notice any of that.

>

 

It's creepy; you should pay attention to that marksman target. This is what makes his demise so ironic. He couldn't separate himself from his gun. It was a part of him, and so of course, he died by one.

 

> I really liked her. I certainly felt as if she was a lonely housewife. She wished to be appreciated, but, mostly, to be desired. I liked how the talk of a school dance awakened her. She was back in high school with young girl thoughts.

>

 

That's true. Webb knew how to push the right buttons, to get her to feel.

 

> I thought he loved her. He really did have it all and I think he knew it. Then the pregnancy did them in.

>

> By the way, do you believe Susan lied to the court about ever meeting Webb because she knew she was pregnant with his child?

>

 

I hadn't thought about that, but I believe so. I thought at first it was her fear

that everyone would suspect her involvement with Webb and possibly think

she and Webb colluded to murder her husband. Now I think it's more likely

to hide her pregnancy....and for the same reasons.

 

>

> That was terrific. Susan is who fascinates me in The Prowler. What had me shaking my head was how she could slap Webb three times (like you do!) and tell him to get out and then invite him back in and start dancing with him and then kissing him. Women! But I think I get it. I believe she was slapping herself even more than slapping Webb. I think she was interested in him and she was doing all she could to push him away. She hated that she was tempted.

>

 

Definitely. Half of her speeches about "delaying" and how wrong they were, were directed at herself. But she was too weak to listen to herself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

REMINDER

 

Hey, I don't want to interrupt the conversation, but today at 5:00 pm ET, TCM is showing *The Arnelo Affair*. It will be followed by *Out of the Fog* at 6:30 pm.

 

I don't know if *Out of the Fog* is noir, but it's pretty darn close - and it has many great performances in it - notably John Qualen and Thomas Mitchell, who get a LOT more screen time here than usual, giving them a chance to be lead characters for once, as they rightly should be. Ida Lupino simmers with frustration and longing, while John Garfield is hypnotically compelling as the snake who is blackmailing everyone in the film. Eddie Albert (who is especially good), Aline MacMahon, George Tobias, Jerome Cowan and the Gorcey's also appear. Barbara Pepper has a bit as a cigarette girl. It's got a superb cast and should be seen at least once.

 

I haven't yet watched *The Arnelo Affair*, but CinemAva recommends it highly. This one is also about a "hypnotic charmer", and boasts a great cast - including John Hodiak, George Murphy, Frances Gifford, Eve Arden, Dean Stockwell and Ruby Dandridge. Frankly, they had me at Hodiak, but I'll watch anything with Eve Arden or Dean Stockwell as well. :D Arch Oboler directs. Don't miss it, it's hard to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the reminder, Jackaaaaaaaay. I've been tantalizingly torturing myself by reading tiny bits and pieces of the posts on "The Prowler" and "Secret Beyond the Door." I haven't seen either movie yet (being failed by my last century technology) but I know the observations and musings of the Ramblers are most likely insightful and entertaining. Ev'ry time I read a little "spoi-lage" I smack myself in the forehead with a "Doh!" But I torture myself a little more every time I go

on this thread. (The only reason I haven't complimented the writing is b'cuz I haven't read or seen these films yet).

 

It's when I went to check this time (what the heck am I checking for, I dunno) that I saw your re-minder about "The Arnelo Affair." It was recommended to me (THANK YOU!!!) and yes, I still endorse it. Hodiak is oily and wanting and sexy; Murphy is stodgy but loving and Frances Gif-

ford...well, Frances Gifford.

 

The ( always ) great Eve Arden has some fine bon mots and tailored suits in this film and Dean Stockwell is just your average little boy...no cloying child star is he. A curly haired cutie, he's

just so believable. I love his scenes with Frances Gifford.

 

You haven't seen it yet? Well...check it out and let us know what you think after the current conversation is done.

 

*Barbara Pepper....didn't she have a walk-through in the ladies room in "The Women"? Did she

play Arnold Ziffel's mom on "Green Acres"????

 

Now, no more torture. Let me just start reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't read this thread either! I've been "prowling" around the edges for days now. I have *Secret Beyond the Door* on dvdr (though I saw bits and pieces of it while it was on - it's beautiful - chilling, maybe more horror than noir? or maybe it just seems that way because Michael Redgrave is in it - he is so good at CREEPY). But I haven't had a chance to watch it yet!

 

I also saw bits of *The Prowler* and knew I should have taped it. OK, I am now a bona fide Van Heflin fan. Anyone who can be so smarmy and creepy, and then turn around and lie straight faced to Evelyn Keyes like that LOOKING HER RIGHT IN THE EYE is a great actor.

 

Green Acres -- Ha ha! :D:D

 

Edited by: JackFavell on Sep 24, 2010 11:30 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the others are taking a slight prowling breather...

 

Well at least you HAVE "Secret Beyod the Door" J.F. I have to (once again) depend on the kind-ness of 'strangers.' I'll watch it soon enough. The conversation will have long passed, but at least the writings will have more resonance for me after my having seen the films.

 

I am a Heflin convert myself. Oh for years I couldn't stand his pasty-faced, bug-eyed, wavy-haired look. (Eewww, my shallowness is rearing its pretty l'il head, sorry!) I had to endure him to get to Lizabeth Scott & Barbara Stawyck. And then one day...maybe two years ago I saw "Johnny Eager" and his performance floored me. And then I saw him in "3:10 to Yuma" and I was like...

whoa! And then with "East Side, West Side" I saw him really take Stanwyck in hand & I knew he was really the only one who could handle her; that put me over the edge onto Heflin's side.

 

So now I, too, am a bona fide Van Heflin fan. And I've no doubt that in "The Prowler" he will bowl me over.

 

But first..."The Arnelo Affair."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I _really_ hope you two ladies can see *Secret* and *Prowler* eventually because I'm

dying for your input. I think you'd enjoy them for different reasons.

 

Thank you for the reminders on THE ARNELLO AFFAIR and OUT OF THE FOG!

I absolutely LOVED *The Arnello Affair* and get more out of the fog every time I watch it.

I'm glad I'm home to catch them both.

 

Coincidentally, I watched my DVD-R of *Conflict* (airing now) just yesterday but

I can't recommend it. Huge disappointment. Worse than *The Two Mrs Carrolls* and

Bogie seems to be phoning in his performance. No doubt he knew he got stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will find the female point of view in Secret Beyond the Door to be interesting, Little Red Buick. And it's the female angle in The Prowler that interests me the most.

 

I have no idea what Lively Gal is going to think of these films. The guys are nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CM, I agree with your assessment of Van Heflin - he was on TV often enough in the '60s, and wasn't just a 'nothing' but a 'blehh' face to me (although he aged rather well). That "bug-eyed wavy hair" comment is just about perfect.

 

And indeed it was JOHNNY EAGER that made me see a performance where his drollsome looks were perfect. He'd beaten himself down just by agreeing to be this guy's pal.

 

Then KID GLOVE KILLER and now THE PROWLER. Yes, he's an easy name to add to my list of collected actors.

 

I strive to ensure all Blanche DuBois' receive their just rewards, too - especially with the threat that, in a week or two, a brand new way of observations start rolling in.

 

Like aftershocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched *Conflict* ! Or most of it, I missed the beginning. I liked it, but I have to agree, I was expecting a wow finish which never materialized. In fact, the ending was a complete disaster - I really thought that something spin or new angle was going to shock me. They really just went with the easiest way to finish up the story. Too bad, Bogie deserved better.

 

Edited by: JackFavell on Sep 24, 2010 2:29 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hear it for those red-blooded American males. Those cat eyes'll get them every time.

 

Say listen, is this the way Evelyn looks in "The Prowler"?? What happened to the sweet girl from "The Face Behind the Mask" or "Here Comes Mr. Jordan"??

 

And me...I liked "Conflict." I liked the ending, I liked Bogie, I liked Alexis Smith and Greenstreet. Your typical Brothers Warner fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JF, are those baby garlic's she's wearing? That'd be about the only way to keep a vampire from THAT neck. Hubba hubba... and what a perfectly arched eyebrow, a slight grit of her teeth. Oh Death, where is thy sting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even know it was Evelyn in The Prowler - she looked so diffferent - not soft as usual. I didn't see much of it before hubby got hold of the remote.

 

In the scene I saw, where Heflin plays her - actually getting angry because she doubts him, she seemed brittle and very tired. Not hard, but kind of scared and suspicious and a little sleazy. With her breathy fearful voice she seemed almost like she was a child or not quite right in the head - she was easily manipulated by Heflin, partly due to her own guilt feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Ollie_T wrote:}{quote}

> JF, are those baby garlic's she's wearing? That'd be about the only way to keep a vampire from THAT neck. Hubba hubba... and what a perfectly arched eyebrow, a slight grit of her teeth. Oh Death, where is thy sting?

 

 

Oh my gosh..... baby garlics????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A female's angles are always what interests you most!

 

:D So that's why I don't understand geometry!

 

I like the soft angles but I tend to get the harsh ones.

 

baby garlics????

 

I'm usually confronted by big mama and papa garlics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I didn't even know it was Evelyn in The Prowler - she looked so diffferent - not soft as usual. I didn't see much of it before hubby got hold of the remote.

>

> In the scene I saw, where Heflin plays her - actually getting angry because she doubts him, she seemed brittle and very tired. Not hard, but kind of scared and suspicious and a little sleazy. With her breathy fearful voice she seemed almost like she was a child or not quite right in the head - she was easily manipulated by Heflin, partly due to her own guilt feelings.

 

Jackie, without seeing more than one scene, you just perfectly described her whole entire character. Brilliant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I really have to find this movie now! I got suckered into Heflin's scheme, then had it all whisked away by the flick of a channel changer. I hope they show it again. I'm going to go scan the net for a version I can watch now......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> Would you like some milk?

 

lol! What do you mean?! Are you Johnny Asgarth? If this is a Hitchcock movie, I'll pass. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...