Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

Yo!! Mr. Grey.... did you know that The Third Man is showing on TCM next week?????????? I seem to recall SOME shadowy person saying something about being up for a chat .................

Edited by: rohanaka on Oct 1, 2010 12:41 AM

Hiya, Burnt Toastmaker -- Yo!! Mr. Grey.... did you know that The Third Man is showing on TCM next week?????????? I seem to recall SOME shadowy person saying something about being up for a chat .................

No, I didn't know that one was coming up. I'll definitely chat about it, if you like. The person who really likes that film is Jackie. She has written quite a bit about the film.

And I will get to your Webb/Harry post to me very soon. I wanted to re-watch Night and the City before doing so. I'm almost done with it. Poor Harry is running for his life. You just couldn't let him try to make a go of it, could you?! :P

Have you ever seen They Live by Night? That is coming on this Saturday, at 1:30 AM EST. It's one of my very favorite films noir. It's one that makes me cry. If you want to see what a film noir love story looks like, that's one to see.

THIRD MAN? Oh noooo... I just mailed off CARE packages and neglected to include some old radio show collections in them - specifically the excellent Harry Lime series, which is available for streaming or downloads [here, at Archive.ORG|http://www.archive.org/details/TheLivesOfHarryLime] .

Of course, I need to get MissGee-It's-Spooky into [The Whistler series|http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=the%20whistler%20AND%20mediatype%3Aaudio] , too.

I'll definitely chat about it, if you like. The person who really likes that film is Jackie. She has written quite a bit about the film.

Way cool. I hope we can get a good chat going. (If I find time I will try and check out some of Jackie's old posts.. but it's another busy weekend.. so I might not get to it for a while.

Have you ever seen They Live by Night? That is coming on this Saturday, at 1:30 AM EST. It's one of my very favorite films noir.

I have not seen it.. I will try my best to catch it.. at least to record it.. IF I am not too "doofy" to remember.. (I am a bit "schedule challenged" sometimes... as you might recall. HA!. :D

It's one that makes me cry

Well now THAT makes it all the MORE interesting. I am going to have to pin a note.. ok maybe TAPE a note onto my forehead to remind myself not to miss it... it is not that far away so MAYBE I will have good luck... :D

If you want to see what a film noir love story looks like

IF I want to see that??? "Mushy" love story person that I am.. ha. What do YOU think?? Does a one legged duck swim in a circle??????? :P But I bet you are setting me up about the whole "love" angle... since it is a "noir" it is likely going to be some sort of "Gun Crazy" sort of tale.. where they THINK they love each other. but its really just a "crime spree" in disguise instead. :P HA.(Ok. .I am kidding.. I know that there was WAY more to that story than just THAT, ha. But oh gee.. they aren't going to end up out in the foggy SWAMP together at the end of THIS story are they?) ha.

PS Ollie.. that sounds like a really fun site.. will check it out sometime.

If you guys start chatting TTM somewhere besides here let me know. I never get notified of posts on most other threads anymore and I don't want to miss another discussion!

The Third Man? Who could possibly have anything to say about THAT film?

(I keep seeing Marty Feldman - Eye-gore - stick his head out the castle doors and say, "Bl?cher!" and grin hugely. I wonder... if I shouted "Bernard Lee!", ya think I'd get the same reaction?)

What happens when lonely miserable policeman meets lonely miserable wife? "The Prowler."

Two schizophrenic unhappy people having an affair cannot end well. Webb gives me the willies right from the start. He's cool, creepy, condescending from the first scene. He sizes everything up right away. Here is a woman alone in the middle of the night. She is pretty, vulnerable and scared. A nice target for a bit of fun. (I was struck that after the initial meeting Webb is right back in her house as if for a party.)

He uses their background to his advantage. I don't think he was thinking so far ahead initially to get at her money as much as thinking there could be more to this than sex. The fact that her husband works nights makes it all the easier. It all goes crazy from there. The games begin.

He seems obsessed with her. Then she seems obsessed with him. Finally, they are obsessed with each other before it all breaks loose.

On the one hand I was disappointed they showed Susan's husband when Webb "meets" him. It does put a face on him but that is only important in the sense of "What is she doing with that old man?" It certainly gives you the reason in one shot of why she is so unhappy. I don't think she would ever have agreed to handle it this way but I think she lies. at the inquest, not so much because she still loves Webb as much as she knows anything else she is in trouble. The whole thing comes out and she winds up implicated too.

One thing that was interesting to think about was after Webb breaks it off is whether he really wants it to end or whether he has her so hooked playing this game he just hooks her even more. She is so desperate when she comes to his place. He plays it well. After he falls on his bed and throws the paper up in the light I am convinced it is all a game.

The ending was a surprise. I wouldn't have thought they would go where they did because it is somewhat rustic for her. I really thought at one point he was going to kill her. He decided it all wasn't going to work out so just shoot her. Who would find her? I did find Webb's climbing that hill a bit odd. Going up instead of around just seemed odd unless it was just a metaphor for his life. It didn't work either.

There is more. The whole baby situation and other aspects but you've, I am sure, had enough for now.

Had enough? As Daniel Stern once said, "Never!"

(Of course, I think a brick landed on his head a second later. Or fell two stories. Or both.)

I hope the restoration folks at UCLA are enjoying the amount of interesting writing this film has produced here on the boards, and that some DVD maker will release this title.

Hi movieman,

> Two schizophrenic unhappy people having an affair cannot end well. Webb gives me the willies right from the start. He's cool, creepy, condescending from the first scene. He sizes everything up right away. Here is a woman alone in the middle of the night. She is pretty, vulnerable and scared. A nice target for a bit of fun. (I was struck that after the initial meeting Webb is right back in her house as if for a party.)

>

"A bit of fun", that's true. He seems very much like a guy who's looking for some excitement,

something dangerous. The way he creeps around to her window and peeps at her, this is

a guy who enjoys being a little bit scary.

> On the one hand I was disappointed they showed Susan's husband when Webb "meets" him. It does put a face on him but that is only important in the sense of "What is she doing with that old man?" It certainly gives you the reason in one shot of why she is so unhappy. I don't think she would ever have agreed to handle it this way but I think she lies. at the inquest, not so much because she still loves Webb as much as she knows anything else she is in trouble. The whole thing comes out and she winds up implicated too.

>

Oh, ha! That was hard on poor John. I think she got what she bargained for, she does

say that he was always sweet to her and she certainly doesn't have to work hard to anything she doesn't want to (well, maybe work hard to get at the cigarettes). I get the feeling the main disappointment for her is that their marriage is childless. She would never feel the kind of love for John she felt for Webb, but with a baby she probably wouldn't have been as lonely and vulnerable a target.

I do agree that she lied to protect herself, and probably because of the baby. She knew if it came out she knew Webb before, the whole world would implicate her and what would happen to her child? But the way the director sets it up (one of the reasons I like this movie so much is the way it's constructed) we don't know this while we're watching the trial. We're really left to speculate why she's so tremulous with that microphone in hand (nice touch) having to let the whole world hear about a time in her life that has changed her tragically. I really felt what she was feeling.

> One thing that was interesting to think about was after Webb breaks it off is whether he really wants it to end or whether he has her so hooked playing this game he just hooks her even more. She is so desperate when she comes to his place. He plays it well. After he falls on his bed and throws the paper up in the light I am convinced it is all a game.

>

That segment is key to understanding how far he'll go to get what he wants, too. And how manipulative he is and what a good actor he is. I don't think he cares about anything but getting her and the money for himself at that point. It's still not love, not yet, not for Webb. I think he feels a little attachment at the end, though.

> The ending was a surprise. I wouldn't have thought they would go where they did because it is somewhat rustic for her. I really thought at one point he was going to kill her. He decided it all wasn't going to work out so just shoot her. Who would find her? I did find Webb's climbing that hill a bit odd. Going up instead of around just seemed odd unless it was just a metaphor for his life. It didn't work either.

>

:D I really liked the ending. It took things in a direction I didn't expect and I liked that he showed some naked emotions at the end, even if they were generated by fear and self preservation. When you're pushed into a corner, you don't act like you normally do and I was afraid Webb was going to remain controlled and simplistically evil until the very last, but he lost it and started babbling uncontrollably, that was something.

> There is more. The whole baby situation and other aspects but you've, I am sure, had enough for now.

Do you think Webb ever really loved her and wanted the baby?

*Do you think Webb ever really loved her and wanted the baby?*

I think for a split second he did. As soon as he realized the timing was all wrong that was the end of it. I couldn't make out whether he was crying because he was going to be a father or he realized he couldn't be because of the timing.

There were several points where you couldn't figure whether he was playing or serious.

BTW, my bride loved it.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> *Do you think Webb ever really loved her and wanted the baby?*

>

> I think for a split second he did. As soon as he realized the timing was all wrong that was the end of it. I couldn't make out whether he was crying because he was going to be a father or he realized he couldn't be because of the timing.

>

> There were several points where you couldn't figure whether he was playing or serious.

>

Great point! I totally agree. He's unpredictable and even though he's basically a pretty rotten guy, he is also emotional.

> BTW, my bride loved it.

Really? Wow, that's cool. How does she feel about film noir, has she said many others?

I will definitely be watching Gun Crazy tonight/tomorrow morning after reading all that?s been posted about it since the last time it was on but have serious reservations about Badlands. The 1957-58 Starkweather-Fugate murder sprees has to have been the influence for this story and this ?sanitized? version must have hurt the family members of the victims.-11 if you don?t count the convenience store clerk Starkweather was thought to have killed a month or so before the rest. I know it was well made and acted but so was the Aileen Warnous movie that won Charlize Theron her Oscar and people involved with the case claim it was not accurate. In Cold Blood, which according to various documentaries seems very close to the truth, might be an exception but 20 years or so of feature and TV movies based on true crimes that aren?t factual give me pause. There is already a thin line between news and entertainment that keeps getting even more so-or has it disappeared?

Of course tonight?s jewel in the crown- Bonnie and Clyde -is perhaps the most important member of this club. I think it did glamorize this couple who murdered many people while robbing others of their lawfully gained funds-the real Parker and Darrow looked nothing like Dunaway and Beatty-but from news articles I?ve seen they were back then as well. I don?t know, maybe I?m being na?ve; if so, tell me to clam up

I forgot to say that Detour is running at midnight on RTV if you get it. Isn't that always the way it works: good stuff on at the same time? Thought I'd let you all know..

Edited by: wouldbestar on Oct 2, 2010 7:33 PM

She has seen some. She didn't much care for "Double Indemnity" but liked "Laura" a lot. She watched one with me called "A Killer Is Loose." (I think we talked some about it.) She heard Joseph Cotten was in it and wanted to see it. She liked that one as well. "On Dangerous Ground" was good. Though I can't say that it was among her favorite but "Clash By Night" was a hit with her. I'm going to try and get "Gun Crazy" and have her watch that. Since it is one of ChiO's faves (and a certain at my festival) she can get a head start.

No list like Sir Francis but she is very willing to watch old films and when I mention that the gang is interested in watching something she is usually up for it. She's a good sport, bless her.

I shouted "Bernard Lee!", ya think I'd get the same reaction?)

neigh... (I know.. it's lame..ha. but I had to do it) :-)

"Somehow a little delay does the trick." - Susan in "The Prowler."

Does it? Does it now. This film is easily one of the most unsettling motion pictures I have ever seen; and Evelyn Keyes' character, one of the most masochistic.

Helpless or hopeless? She survived...barely and endangered her unborn child. I've got

to get my notes together, and then explain how I saw the film. I'm glad I did see it, (thank

you fairy godmother), b'cuz anything YOU guys are talking about is worth me seeing and

discussing. Sorry to be so --Johnny-- -Janie-Come-Lately.

Hiya Mr. Movieman...

What happens when lonely miserable policeman meets lonely miserable wife? "The Prowler

Hey.. I like THAT line too. ha. (Mr Grey came up w/ a good "tag" line too... you two ought to team up and go into business writing those, ha.

Webb gives me the willies right from the start

Isn't it funny how EASY it was for US to see how he really was.. and yet he managed to have all the people around him so easily fooled. I like how the character was set up that way. There truly was LITTLE doubt (for us the viewer) that he was anything but the hideous monster that he turned out to be. (It was as if the camera was almost like a mirror to his "inner" self for us that way. Interesting perspective)

He's cool, creepy, condescending from the first scene

I might add a fourth c... "cunning" too. He knew how to bait a hook for her.. he might have had to fish a bit.. she did reject him the first go around.. but it did not take long for her to give in, ultimately.

He seems obsessed with her. Then she seems obsessed with him. Finally, they are obsessed with each other before it all breaks loose.

Ha.. I think his "obsession" with her eventually became.. "how can I make HER obsessed with me?"

I think she lies. at the inquest, not so much because she still loves Webb as much as she knows anything else she is in trouble. The whole thing comes out and she winds up implicated too.

That was my "reasoning" on her "reason" for lying all along. I think that would have been her decision (to protect herself) whether the baby had been an issue or not. But the baby certainly added a whole new layer once we find out about it. I think HE thought she lied because she was GLAD he killed John. And I bet it took him by surpise when she reacted the way she did (at her home when he comes to visit her) But then also.. I don't think he EVER expected her to do what she did at the end either.. by then he was so caught up in his own game.. that it never entered his mind she was not "his" all the way. (at least that is how I am remembering it..ha. It has been just long enough now since I watched it, I might be a big "foggy brained" on some things) ha.

BTW, my bride loved it

I am glad to hear it. The QT really liked what he SAW of it..ha. but he missed more than half, I'd say. He STARTED watching it with me.. and fell asleep. (poor guy... he has SUCH an early day sometimes.. it is really hard for him to stay awake some evenings) When I told him how things turned out w/ the movie.. he was kicking himself that he missed it all.

I bet you two are really looking forward to that festival... did I MENTION the whole 'color me GREEN with envy" thing???? ha. :D

PS: Janie.. I mean Miss Maven..ha. It's never too late for a nice "walk" on the noir side, kid. Dive on in. :-)

Edited by: rohanaka on Oct 2, 2010 10:51 PM

I will ma'am. I will. Thank you.

I will say this for right now, the movie took me on a wild roller coaster ride. I didn't know WHERE

it was leading me and with most movies I usually know where I'm going...or where it's taking me.

Van Heflin...he's a wonder!!!

- Janie Maven.

>I don't think he EVER expected her to do what she did at the end either.. by then he was so caught up in his own game.. that it never entered his mind she was not "his" all the way.

Yes. I think you are quite right. By then he had it all sowed up. She surprised us. Carolann and I both about the same time said she crossed him up. Audible gasps.

and when I mention that the gang is interested in watching something she is usually up for it. She's a good sport, bless her.

That is one of the coolest things I've read on this board. It's wonderful to see the spouse of a board member actually interested in watching a film that is being discussed by members on the board. How wonderful.

I saw *They Live by Night* and this time I liked it much better and found it very moving. I cried at the ending, which was expected but the way it was done was so poignant. I guess Kathy O'Donnell has the saddest eyes in film noir.

Lots of creepy side characters in the movie. Will Wright was even creepier than in The Blue Dahlia and his pal Howard DaSilva, I couldn't look at his close-ups. I do like Nicholas Ray's emotional scenes, he doesn't hold back on them.

Chris---I think that's wonderful about your bride sharing the movies with "us". :)

Thank you (and to MissG.) My bride knows how much all of you mean to me so when I know you all are ready to talk about something she knows it is worthwhile. The best part is that when she really likes one she wants to know what everyone thinks about it.

MissG, your comments about Will Wright "and his pal" Howard DeSilva. I laugh at that because, when I haven't watched BLUE DAHLIA for a while, I forget which one is The Bad Guy. But I always remember, "It doesn't matter - they both are!"

Howard DaSilva is one of the most sneaky, most untrustworthy-lookin' characters in any movie. He uses his voice, his show-nothing baby-face as a flat canvas, but his eyes and voice are ALWAYS brimming with evil. So well-done, too. Even when he's not The Bad Guy, he's still bad.

Here's a great photo from THREE HUSBANDS with the wonderful Eve Arden. As ridiculous as his suit is, his face is still this so-upset-I-can-barely-stand-it dam that his eyes and set-of-his-jaws can't help but show...

evearden18.jpg

But here's Howard in his "plain face" - looks OK, right? But he's still got this sneaky glint to him. So excellent.

howard-da-silva-1-sized.jpg

Even his smiling face is dangerous looking, here from MISSILES OF OCTOBER as Dear Nikita:

oct-nikita.jpg

Will Wright has a great mix of faces, too, that he blessed us with in his career. He could be the earnest All-American farmer (despite this very fuzzy, blown-up photo)...

6884598_1035790337.jpg

Or own the Meanest Scowl In Hollywood, like he used on The Andy Griffith Show until his death in 1962. Such a great face, and I apologize for not finding a website offering a good example of that winning scowl... darn...

13964927_114512450215.jpg

Of course, it's still Robert J. Wilke that wins my vote for Most Hate-able Face in Hollywood. Also my nominee for Most Vicious Sneer, too...

11824881_tml.jpg

Movieman, I was pointed to the NYC's [Film Forum showing of THE PROWLER|http://www.filmforum.org/films/prowler.html] with the comment that prints of this film are making their rounds to other film festivals. It's rather fun to read some of these "official" reviews and compare their writing to yours and so many others here on the website. I'll take THIS board's writers any day.