Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

Fabulous pictures, Ollie!!

> {quote:title=Ollie_T wrote:}{quote}

> MissG, your comments about Will Wright "and his pal" Howard DeSilva. I laugh at that because, when I haven't watched BLUE DAHLIA for a while, I forget which one is The Bad Guy. But I always remember, "It doesn't matter - they both are!"

>

:D You should watch that one again one day...it's my favorite of the Ladd/Lake

teamings (there's a group of films for your screenings one day). It's the only

movie for which the terrific writer Raymond Chandler created an original screenplay,

and it showed. Lots of great, incisive and funny dialogue.

> Howard DaSilva is one of the most sneaky, most untrustworthy-lookin' characters in any movie. He uses his voice, his show-nothing baby-face as a flat canvas, but his eyes and voice are ALWAYS brimming with evil. So well-done, too. Even when he's not The Bad Guy, he's still bad.

>

Hee! He was a slick customer, always looking like he had an angle figured.

I have to say I found him rather likable in *The Blue Dahlia* underneath all

that toughness. He was a gangster, but didn't brim with evil as much as some

of his other characters. I know why I thought he wasn't so bad, it's because he

really did love his ex-wife (Veronica Lake) and because he was smart enough

to know she was too good for him. Most of those gangster types think they're

too good for the woman.

> Or own the Meanest Scowl In Hollywood, like he used on The Andy Griffith Show until his death in 1962. Such a great face, and I apologize for not finding a website offering a good example of that winning scowl... darn...

Oh, but I can see that scowl and he was so cute in those Andy Griffith episodes.

A real curmdgeon! :D

> Of course, it's still Robert J. Wilke that wins my vote for Most Hate-able Face in Hollywood. Also my nominee for Most Vicious Sneer, too...

Ha! He really was a meanie. He and Harry Silva could have a face-off.

Bad guys... hate-able faces...

Somewhere in my early teens, I kept hearing movie stars chatting about "enjoying their villain roles". Really? No way - how could my favorite stars enjoy playing villains? Being a bad guy? NO WAY.

Then I heard fables about "every great hero has a greater villain".

I've certainly grown more curious about these supporting actors - especially the ones who were typecast as villains. One thing I've loved about re-watching The Andy Griffith Show is the Will Wright episodes, only to see him turn out to be loveable and smiling, happy in the end. That Meanest Scowl In Hollywood ends up with one of the brightest, happiest faces, too. Just like Jackie DeShannon once sang... la de da da...

"I really hope you two ladies can see Secret and Prowler eventually because I'm dying for your input. I think you'd enjoy them for different reasons." - < ( MissGoddess - 9/24/2010 >

SPOILERS GALORE! SPOILERS GALORE!

:-) WHEN FIXATION MEETS DESPERATION = YOU HAVE "THE PROWLER". :-)

?What?s her angle??

From the moment that Van Heflin says this (especially since we didn?t see her do anything to warrant his conclusion) and we see those Heflin Eyes scan and probe everywhere, he comes off as Mr. Creepy Guy in ?THE PROWLER.? I have never heard of this film before. And I learn much from many of the Ramblers on this Message Board. This deceptively simple film had me on such a roller coaster ride, it made my head spin.

Clearly Heflin as OFFICER WEBB GARWOOD is fixated on the lovely SUSAN GILVRAY, played with jittery nervous energy by almond-eyed Evelyn Keyes. Yes, playing ?Scarlett O?Hara?s young sister? might be her epitaph, but I think Keyes managed several good performances throughout her career.

Susan?s skittishness kind of kept me off-kilter I have to say. She acted so suspiciously and ill at ease that I began to wonder if this ?husband? of hers was not a figment of her imagination. She even started to make me wonder: ?What?s her angle??? The music on the radio served as an off-beat counterpoint to the action on the screen as Officer Garwood starts to spin his ?web(b)" around Susan. I had an uneasy feeling as I waited for the other shoe to drop during the first part of this movie.

When Mr. Snoopy Guy goes into a drawer to search for a carton of cigarettes, the die is really cast here at his glancing at a Last Will and Testament. His eyes earlier surveying the house and it's 'moneyed' look is confirmed by that will. I liked the metaphorical banter that played out in this scene:

WEBB: ?Does he keep everything locked up??

SUSAN: ?Mostly.?

WEBB: ?You too??

Did he mean, does her husband keep her locked up or did he mean does she keep her emotions locked up. When Webb tries to close the desk drawer:

WEBB: ?Harder to close than it was to open.?

Yes indeed. I think of ?Bluebeard.? (I saw the Richard Burton movie six times). Actually, I harkened back to the great ramble on ?Secret Beyond the Door? and all those curiousity-seeking cats movies. Once a door is opened...once you learn a thing, you cannot unlearn it. Webb?s path is set, and he cannot un-set it.

That dancing scene in the living room was kind of steamy, no? I confess it made my pulse race a little. What manner of magic is this: Van Heflin becomes sexy right before my very eyes??? Webb was so soft and gentle and silkily persuasive. Who knew Hoosiers had it in ?em. (Under those not-quite-leading-man-looks, Monsieur Bovary?s a real smoothie. G-r-r-!) See, now Susan?s starting to annoy me and I now wish for Audrey Totter: blonde, almond-eyed. (In my next life I?ll be a casting director). Why can't she just be relaxed?

I?m starting to be annoyed with Susan b?cuz she?s so jittery. Webb?s so easy, breezy and his matter-of-factly manner is so easy to take. But I know underneath it all, well..pretty much right under his skin, Webb is a bitter and disappointed man. HE is the Victim (or so he thinks). His real fixation is Status. He wants to be respected, financially set. Her nervousness and sidelong glances don?t read as unexplored desire to me. It smells of desperation. I kept thinking: ?Girl, if you?re that unsure about him, let him go. Walk away! Follow your first mind!!!? But what heroine ever listens to me?? I'm a voice in the dark sixty years later.

:x REJECTION AS APHRODISIAC: Please --Sir-- Webb, May I Have Some More? :x

That?s not quite how I roll but its a convention often given to our movie heroes and heroines. Webb plays his hand well and Susan falls for the ye olde ?push-pull.? The rejection is catnip to her. His breaking things off makes her seek him out more. Her desperation is fairly palpable in those phone cons. And it?s during those phone conversations that we enter Webb?s lair.

Not much of a lair as --liars-- lairs go...one-room. Cop?s salary? Maybe...but we see his partner?s living a comfortable lifestyle on that cop?s salary. I loved the scene with his partner and his wife. Trust, togetherness, comfort. Traveling ghost towns together. I liked how he smacked her on the fanny. Riddle me this guys: Why is it that the partners always seem to have a better private life (?On Dangerous Ground?) than our heroes???

Inside Webb?s world we see there is more to him than meets the eye. He enjoys tormenting Susan. (I think I saw that cruel glint in Heflin?s eye when he dumped Joan Crawford in ?POSSESSED?). The flatter affect he has, the more he pushes her away...the more he pushes her away, the more ominous the musical chords get...the more ominous the chords, the more desperate Susan gets. D?ya see the vicious cycle? Ladies, don?t let this happen to you!!! He?s stoked that fire in her; she?s chasing him now and he?s acting like the cat that swallowed the canary.

:PI MARRIED A DEUS EX MACHINA (From Outer Space). :P

A-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa! So there IS a husband. See, that surprised me. NOW I see why she's so jittery. She's a married woman with a little sumthin' going on the side. But not to worry...he?s not important. Naah. He?s just a means to the end of the plot of this movie. We never see his face, we never engage with him. In fact...we only have SUSAN?s side of the story of what a bad husband he is. Frankly, I never thought he?d harm her like she said he would. I would have written things differently:

"THE PROWLER" Written by CineMaven.

* Still have the trial

* After a couple of weeks Webb tries to get back in Susan?s good graces

* Hat in hand and flowers in his arms he goes to visit Susan

* The audience sees Susan in the clinch with hunky Steve Cochran or George Nader. Or Casey Adams (if you wish...but you won't get a job as casting director)

* As Webb walks up the street with the flowers, he spots Steve and Susan kissing at the door

* Steve takes the car to get some toothpaste for their trip (She has to get away from it all, the notoreity of the trial, you know)

* Webb and Susan argue:

WEBB: ?I killed your husband for you!?

SUSAN: ?Who asked you too. I could never be with you, you?re a cop!?

* Webb lunges for Susan. She kills him. She calls the police:

SUSAN: ?I need the police. I?ve just killed a prowler.?

* Then we beat up FrankGrimes.

(Too late, I already quit my day job!) See, with MY plotting, Susan?s the engineer NOT the Victim. She plays Webb for a sucker. He thought he was a victim before? HA! Now he

really IS the victim. Gosh where's Kathy Moffett when you need her?

But that wasn?t to be.

:DTHE STORK BRINGS A BUNDLE OF JOY: A --Dingo-- Prowler Killed My Baby!! :-(

Well I didn?t see THAT coming!!! And I enjoyed that twist.

Looking back, I liked how the marriage getaway scene was shot in a long shot. We never got up close to that either, didja notice? Why?d the director make that choice?? Interesting. EVERY one sings Webb's praises too. Well you've seen a lot of movies. You know what THAT means.

When Webb gets the news about the baby, OMG! His reaction was so great. He cried at the news. It was like his inner thoughts were screaming: DRAT!!! FOILED AGAIN!! Foiled by a little unprotected dancing in the living room with the radio on. I believe those tears were from being torn as to whether he'd carry out his plan or not. But initially I thought this news might calm him down. He?s got access to her money; he's got his motel on the highway. Isn't this the easy street he wanted? What more does he want?

Ohhhhhhhhhh, he still...

When I saw Webb take Susan out to the desert town neighboring Bette Davis' and Mary Astor's stay out west in the desert in ?THE GREAT LIE?), his isolating Susan sent bells off. But I never thought Webb would plot the baby's demise as well. He winds up being desperate in the end as he runs smack dab into his old partner.

Did Susan have strength after all? It felt unseemly to me to put her in such a sadistically vulnerable position throughout the whole movie. She was always in a vulnerable jittery position.

Policeman - prowler - fancy dancer - murderer - midwife: Van Heflin could pull it off. Robert Ryan too or Dana Andrews. (But we'd need to see Robbie and Dana as detectives).

I enjoyed the roller coaster ride of this movie I've never heard of.

Now...does anybody need a good casting director???

That was wonderful, Maven! I love your take on things...like wondering if John (Susan's husband) was real or not, and wondering about her own motivations and actions. I think you caught the feel and what the director was going for. And I do think the director carefully crafted this film, it doesn't feel like something tossed up there for the second half of the bill. Webb and Susan are two very screwed up people, and what happens when such types get together is our story here. Susan is not a conventional heroine in peril, but she gains our sympathy by the end. Webb is a villain who has the same ambitions normal people do, only he won't work for them, he thinks he's OWED them so he takes them.

I love what you wrote about Webb's reaction to the baby. I still can't figure it out. I tend to agree with you, that he filters every new bit of information through his "How does this affect my plans?" filter. Sadly, that is a very modern mindset. There are too many Webbs out there for comfort.

I also agree with you comparison to his character in *Possessed*. I thought of that, too, when I first saw this movie.

I forgot to mention that Carolann was caught completely off guard by the baby. It didn't occur to her that the relationship could have turned sexual. (Even my daughter wondered since they couldn't get a bed together when they got married.)

Queen Maven:

Great essay.

I never doubted for a minute that she wasn't really married. I felt her resistance to Webb was genuine but at least he paid attention to her. She wanted to play both ends. Have her lover and her nice house. That was the ultimate contrast for her at the end.She goes from a lovely home to and abandoned town that is just short of falling down around her.

The lead characters often have unsettled lives because those of us who do have a settled life and mired in routine. Routine does not equal excitement.

Thanx so much Miss G. I have a couple of comments on what you said earlier before the conversation totally wanes.

In some ways, the movie kind of points up some mockeries people make of the whole institu-tion of marriage. Because it's real value is neglected by BOTH of the principal characters.

An excellent point. I knew that these two sides of the coin was showing marriage.[/b]

Oh boy, but weren't you afraid Webb was going to kill him? I really thought that's howthat part was going to end up. It's really sad, because look here's another area whereWebb was so fortu-nate and didn't appreciate it: his partner REALLY cared about him,just like Jim Wilson's partner in "On Dangerous Ground." But it didn't reach him.

Oooh, that would have been more tragic than Susan biting the bullet. Did you get the feeling that his partner?s wife sensed something about Webb...you know, during that after-dinner scene?

Hey, even Webb's apartment was a lot like Jim Wilson's. Dank, dingy, and HOW SCARY is it that he had that marksman poster up over his bed...showing his ability to, um, hit the "target" every time? Each bullet hole went somewhere fatal, from what I could see.

You?re right about that. I caught the target silhouette hanging up. I kind of chuckled about Webb reading the ?muscle? magazine. I remembered Dirk Bogarde was reading that type of magazine when he was trolling for his next prey in that Margaret Lockwood British film.

This is where I give Heflin credit. Robert Ryan, listen, NO PROBLEM believing any woman would flip her girdle for HIM (especially in a uniform) but Heflin has to ACT attractive, hahaah.

You know...you are soooooooo right here. That's very true. As I watched that dance scene play out, I (the person [ibehind[/i] the name CineMaven) really had my eyes opened about Van Heflin again. I think I must give ?The Strange Love of Martha Ivers? another tumble with my new found appreciation for the charms of Van Heflin. According to imdb, Louis B. Mayer told Heflin that with his looks "he?ll never get the girl.? And I felt sad when I read that. A Hollywood reality, but sad.

Now my question for YOU (and anyone else), is, do you believe Webb was being straight when he said at the very end there, he really did love her? Or was he so far in denial of his true self and feelings that even if he meant the words, they weren't based on reality?

Movieman writes - I think for a split second he did. As soon as he realized the timing was all wrong that was the end of it. I couldn't make out whether he was crying because he was going to be a father or he realized he couldn't be because of the timing.

I believe with all his heart he WANTED to love her. I think being with her those last five months of the pregnancy made him actually love her b?cuz of the baby. But all his years of (imagined) victimization, he just could not UNlearn the way he felt. "Harder to close than it was to open.?

Oh! And his death scene...classic. He was trying to get to the top of the mountain. Here is where I really, REALLY felt for the man. He looked so pitiful, scrambling and flailing and by setting the camera up really far, where the cops were and having him die...how? By a marksman's bullet.

Nice. But check out HOW he was scrambling up that hill...legs splayed like a crab. How ignomi-nious. He was a coward after all!

She acts frightened so much of the time, that I couldn't always tell if she was really falling for Webb or just sort of psyched by him into believing she was in love with him. She looked like a frightened rabbit being charmed by a cobra. His type has found his ideal psychological "prey" in such a woman. It makes her character very vulnerable and touching to me.

Everyone looks for their type don?t they? And it doesn?t necessarily have to be the looks, or the money. But something more psychologically amorphous: vulnerability, assertiveness. E-harmony and all those cyber match making sites should have some type of psychological profile done too. Maybe that is deep down what we human beings are responding to in another human being. I kind of mostly felt annoyed with her. But I didn?t want anything bad to happen to her either. I felt her desperation.

Didn't she say something about how a delay getting something sometimes caused you to lose interest in it?

Rohanaka responds - I am not sure why but for some reason I am remembering that exchange differently. Because I am remember thinking she was implying that "delay" or " getting slowed down" was something that would enable a person to catch you when you were doing something wrong. (sort of like.. she was warning him to not get caught in the trap her husband had set)

Susan actually said "Sometimes a little delay does the trick.? You see how it worked for Webb, he kept pushing her back until she just HAD to have him. A little delay and you get the thing you want.

That just opened up a whole new line of thought, dadgum, HA! Call me insidious, but you started me thinking maybe the brother was secretly envious of his "celebrity"sibling, with his

radio show,fancy house and young, pretty wife....perhaps he was secretly glad his brother

kicked the bucket, lol! He did seem rather gleeful!

Hey...heyyyyyyyyyyyy there?s a thought. Why did the father popped into my head from ?Shadow of a Doubt??? (I forgot the character actor's name).

His partner liked him and all his fellow officers seemed to cheer for him when the inquest was over. That's why I think he had it made all the time but didn't know it. He never seemed to get over his background...remember how he went on about their childhood with Evelyn? He kept pointing out the differences in their level of privilege.

Astutely observed and expressed.

...And both of Evelyn's marriages were ultimately based on shifty reasons. Security only in the first one, and passion only in the second.

That?s why MY plot would work. Susan and Steve Cochran. Girl, can?t you see it?

Hilarious and spot on. Well written! I watched *The Prowler* 2 times in 2 days and you about covered it. I'm still laughing at "Foiled by a little unprotected dancing in the living room with the radio on."

(WOW.. when that record started playing when they were holed up in their secret hideway waiting out her delivery.. I KNEW what was coming at the end of the recording.. ha. BOY they could not get in to that shack fast enough to try and shut it off, could they? Talk about an awful reminder...)

That voice blaring out from the past was kind of eerie. Susan might've lost the baby right there on that sprint back to the shack.

OH I can't even believe the things he said to her (at her house after the coroner's inquest) making her feel guilty for suspecting him of doing just exactly what he really did. I say again... WHAT a piece of work he was.

That?s what I call shoving in the knife and s-l-o-w-l-y twisting it. Bosses do that alllllllllllllllllllllllllll

the time.

As it turns out I think he really DID want that baby... though he saw the timing of it all as the major problem (rather than the child itself) I might be wrong.. but it just seemed that way to me.

I think you?ve got something there, Rohanaka. He seemed so proud that his kid will have the breaks his old man did not have.

By the way, WHAT did you think of the BROTHER in law being so dadgum GOOD natured about Webb? (Oh gee.. you killed my brother but it was only an accident.. now you are marrying his wife.. let's be pals. HA! That would have to be the OTHER "plausability" issue I had with this movie)

You?re so right. That kind of was one of the dips in my roller coaster ride of the film. These are the thing writers have to be careful of when crafting their stories. We?d have had to see the folksy hus-band belittle people first.

He strikes me as on of those people who will NEVER have enough to make him happy. Once he gets what he thinks he wants.. then he finds one MORE thing to want.. and then all he can do is try and figure out a way to get it.. no matter what. What a selfish (and sad) way to live. (and VERY dangerous to the people he comes in contact with as well)

Ooooh, I loved how you put that Ro-Ro. I have a friend like that. He?s all tangled up with a crazy wife, and insane noise from neighbors, and a bit of credit card debt. And deep down, I think he?s happy having all those things to flail about and try and figure out how to fix. Me? HA! Give me the easy life. I worked for 34 years towards my retirement and am enjoying it: traveling, taking classes and staying up all hours reading pages and pages of Rambles. Cobras...stay away from my door!!

I sound like I am judging her awfully harshly.. but really.. he was only successful in all the things he did because she allowed him to be. She was a victim, but she was also very much to blame) I am glad she came to her senses.. although I wish for her sake it had been a little sooner rather than later. (but THEN we would not be able to sit around here and gab about her.. ha. And what would be the fun in THAT?? ha)

We in the audience DO sit in judgment of the characters we see in these films, so I think that?s okay. And Susan DID allow much of what happened to her TO happen to her. But I?m with you Ro...this slick sick city slickin' cobra got taken in by a woman who just gave birth to a baby. If she couldn?t protect herself, she was sure as heck going to protect her baby.

The hand that rocks the cradle...hits you up side the head WITH that cradle!

But wouldn't it have been fun to have just the tiniest bit of a shadow of doubt about whether Webb really WAS telling the truth or not... and then we he makes his big revealing comment about how some men kill for millions and he did it for (was it?) 62 grand... that would have been all the more shocking.

I like that Losey opted for suspense (letting the audience know something the character in the film doesn?t know) and not surprise (WHAT??? He DID cold-bloodedly killed the husband? Oh snap!)

Oh well.. who am I to say.. I am NOT the one getting paid the big bucks to figure all that stuff out and write it down. ha.

Now that?s where I come in. Can anyone spare some change for a struggling screen writer?

>

> Oooh, that would have been more tragic than Susan biting the bullet. Did you get the feeling that his partners wife sensed something about Webb...you know, during that after-dinner scene?

>

I certainly did. She had his number. Poor Susan didn't. And yes, I agree it's not really "poor Susan", she made a choice.

>

> I believe with all his heart he WANTED to love her. I think being with her those last five months of the pregnancy made him actually love her bcuz of the baby. But all his years of (imagined) victimization, he just could not UNlearn the way he felt. "Harder to close than it was to open.

>

Excellent your zeroing in on that theme behind "Harder to close than it was to open". Getting in deep was child's play for Webb, but getting out when the heat was on was another story.

> Nice. But check out HOW he was scrambling up that hill...legs splayed like a crab. How ignomi-nious. He was a coward after all!

>

Right. Harder to crawl out than to sail in.

> Everyone looks for their type dont they? And it doesnt necessarily have to be the looks, or the money. But something more psychologically amorphous: vulnerability, assertiveness. E-harmony and all those cyber match making sites should have some type of psychological profile done too. Maybe that is deep down what we human beings are responding to in another human being. I kind of mostly felt annoyed with her. But I didnt want anything bad to happen to her either. I felt her desperation.

>

Can you imagine what people would put in their psycho profiles on dating sites? :D The same sort of answers. And still they'd find themselves sitting across from Jeffrey Dahmer.

> Susan actually said "Sometimes a little delay does the trick. You see how it worked for Webb, he kept pushing her back until she just HAD to have him. A little delay and you get the thing you want.

>

So she knew that much about human nature but she couldn't apply it to herself.

>

> Hey...heyyyyyyyyyyyy theres a thought. Why did the father popped into my head from Shadow of a Doubt?? (I forgot the character actor's name).

>

Henry Travers.

> Thats why MY plot would work. Susan and Steve Cochran. Girl, cant you see it?

I can indeed. Steve would be perfect.

Can you imagine what people would put in their psycho profiles on dating sites? The same sort of answers. And still they'd find themselves sitting across from Jeffrey Dahmer.

Whoops!!! That had me bust out laughing!! Ofttimes this Message Board seems like some kind of demented Rorshach test.

Dear Frank Grimes:

I am SO sorry that I am still laughing at all the various torments and forms of brutality you endure in this place.

And I'm so glad it's you, not me.

Signed

Not-exactly-a-great-pal-am-I?, Ollie

...His story about getting his scholarship taken away from him seems to be "the story of his life." He's blaming others for being wronged. He didn't get any breaks. To him, he was born a bad break.

Poor Webb. Have a pity party, Garwood. Doesn?t he say to Susan near the end when they were going to take a walk in the desert that he hoped his son would be ?man enough to blah blah blah??

That's a very good point. Those two couples are able to appreciate the simple things in life and love. They don't have the money to live a fancy life. Susan feels neglected by her husband. Her husband is the star and you get the feeling he doesn't treat her as his star.

It felt possessive and ?Sleeping with the Enemy? controlling that she HAD to listen to his radio programs. But honestly, we don?t get enuf first-hand information on the Prarie Home Companion husband.

Poor Webb! He was actually very patient with his partner and his rocks when you consider he's looking to meet up with the woman he's crazy about. I would feel the same as Webb.

Remember Dixon visiting Brub and his wife. A little role playing would have done Webb some good. He sure did high-tail it outta there.

Miss Goddess writes: Of course, they kind of downplayed Evelyn's looks in this, I thought. I didn't even recognize her at first, she looked so dowdy.

Frank Grimes responds: I really liked her. I certainly felt as if she was a lonely housewife. She wished to be appreciated, but, mostly, to be desired. I liked how the talk of a school dance awakened her. She was back in high school with young girl thoughts.

I honestly want to know why they made Evelyn Keyes a blonde for this part. WhY??

By the way, do you believe Susan lied to the court about ever meeting Webb because she knew she was pregnant with his child?

Good question Grimesy. Good question. She might have lied b?cuz he testified first. He?s the Police. She felt guilty about having an affair with him. Recognizing him is tantamount to getting the D.A. To speculate all nasty things. Perhaps even implicate Susan herself in the crime (SEE: ?BODY HEAT.?)

Susan is who fascinates me in The Prowler. What had me shaking my head was how she could slap Webb three times (like you do!) and tell him to get out and then invite him back in and start dancing with him and then kissing him. Women! But I think I get it. I believe she was slapping herself even more than slapping Webb. I think she was interested in him and she was doing all she could to push him away. She hated that she was tempted.

Frank Freud Jung Grimes...very good deduction. Did you she how she smacked him? Told him:

?You?re a real cop aren?t you? You want everything for free!?

She orders him out of her house and then clings to the door. It took ALL her strength to get him to leave.

What's the score, CinemAva -- Poor Webb. Have a pity party, Garwood. Doesn?t he say to Susan near the end when they were going to take a walk in the desert that he hoped his son would be ?man enough to blah blah blah??

Did he say that? Wow, what a catch! I'm sure Webb is the kind of guy who would tell his son how tough he had it at every turn, too.

It felt possessive and ?Sleeping with the Enemy? controlling that she HAD to listen to his radio programs. But honestly, we don?t get enuf first-hand information on the Prarie Home Companion husband.

You're right, we don't get a lot of info about her husband but we know he locks things away. He's an older man with a younger wife. I think he's worried... and rightly so. But, like I mentioned before, is it his doing or her doing, really? I think it's on him.

Remember Dixon visiting Brub and his wife. A little role playing would have done Webb some good. He sure did high-tail it outta there.

I would have, too!

I honestly want to know why they made Evelyn Keyes a blonde for this part. WhY??

Heck, I always thought she was a blonde. :D

Good question Grimesy. Good question. She might have lied b?cuz he testified first. He?s the Police. She felt guilty about having an affair with him. Recognizing him is tantamount to getting the D.A. To speculate all nasty things. Perhaps even implicate Susan herself in the crime (SEE: ?BODY HEAT.?)

I'd have to watch the scene again because she starts off against him, so I'd lean to her not knowing she was pregnant. Boy, what is she going to tell her child about her daddy? Talk about torment. Ahhhhhh, film noir.

Did you she how she smacked him? Told him:

?You?re a real cop aren?t you? You want everything for free!?

She orders him out of her house and then clings to the door. It took ALL her strength to get him to leave.

That's yet another terrific catch by you! You're right, she does cling to the door. Lots of emotions running through her.

Have you ever rejected a guy you really didn't know only to accept him a little later?

"Harder to close than it was to open.?

You got it, Pandora.

Congrats on 1000 posts, Ollie! What the heck took you so long?! Don't tell me you actually have a life.

You're a great presence on this board. You make me laugh as much as anyone around these parts.

Dear Frank Grimes:

Uh-oh. This doesn't bode well.

I am SO sorry that I am still laughing at all the various torments and forms of brutality you endure in this place. And I'm so glad it's you, not me.

That's because you've got the voodoo dolls! The girls know if they torture you, you're going to jab them back! Plus, you're Santa Claus! How could they attack Santa? I'm the foul one. :D

O-L-L-I-E T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

h1. Congratulations on 1,000 Smarty Pants Posts!

Love,

Ellen

Cora

Phyllis

Laura

Kathie

Vivian

Kitty

and

Gilda

:x

:x

(This video cracks me up, hope you enjoy but don't get too close or you'll burn)

Wow. I didn't even notice. Sometimes I'm here for a month, then off again for recovery sessions. (Do these voodoo pins work in reverse?) Then sometimes Wifey locks the dungeon door uptight, reseals the tomb and forgets all about me. "Who? Which of my husbands?" Y'know, ordinary things like that. My life is SOOOO awful.

That's a great video, too. It's a shame that Janis Carter's FRAMED isn't commercially released on DVD... sigh. Not that Wifey needs MORE lessons on how to mistreat us poor, sweet, innocent men.

Well aren't YOU the lucky one Mr. Ollie_T!!! You got a great YouTube tribute dedicated to you.

I'm STILL mesmerized by that Femme Fatale video Miss G. posted. (Yup, it's now on my iPOD). Just another YouTube clip? Not really, not if you're a discerning film noir denizen. It is fantastic. The editor picked out so many great small moments and looks. I think JANE GREER has the deadliest eyes in film noir. RITA HAYWORTH has hair to die for. LAUREN BACALL had the greatest mouth. GENE TIERNEY has a great face to hide behind, LANA TURNER is the deadliest cotton candy you could taste, and AVA GARDNER's darkness is to drown in. (Uhm...this is all subjective you understand). WHOA! Check out the last shot we see of Ava in the car. The editor creates his cast of lethal ladies with a flash of white in between. Did you see that last sidelong glance of contempt Ava gives? Chilling! That was the editor's choice to include that.

You know, on YouTube I often see clips just strung together placed on top of music. ACK!! But this took skill and love & knowledge of movies. More lethal ladies could have been included perhaps, but this is really fine just as it is. And he includes the men whose been ensnared too. They look so helpless...pitiful. No, I don't feel sorry for 'em, but they still look pitiful. Burt's longing as he's being willfully ignored by Ava. Look at the slight moment when Kirk's mouth is agape as he looks at Jane Greer. Check out Welles standing against the wall. Listen to some of Alice Cooper's words:

"One look could kill"

"My pain, your thrill"

"I want to hurt you just to hear you screaming my name"

This editor picked the right music and moments. His video also shows the depth and breadth of some of the most breathtaking women in Hollywood of the 1940's. Thanxx for highlighting it Miss G.

I was like a deer caught in the headlights.

CONGRATS on the 1000, Ollie!! This calls for a celebration!!

CAKE for everybody!! :D

HA.. I just LOVE to say that!

And gee, I was so busy I had to skip lunch today... so cake sounds AWFULLY good right now!!

(So hey.. thanks for posting!!) :D

780_863_large.jpg

Hi there Miss Maven.. I am sorry it has taken me a few days to stop in here and respond back to your post.. WOWSA.. I love the way you can break down a movie and the characters so nicely, little missy.

WHEN FIXATION MEETS DESPERATION = YOU HAVE "THE PROWLER".

Ha.. that DOES about sum it up, doesn't it? That is the THIRD great "tag line" I have seen for this movie in this entire chat, ha. Between you and Mr Movieman... and that GREY person.. ha. you should all three go into business w/ one another.

kept thinking: ?Girl, if you?re that unsure about him, let him go.Walk away! Follow your first mind!!!

Gee, wouldn't it be great if we could have a "retroactive" conscience.. and then all our DOPEY decisions (and tragic ones too) could be WIPED out after we did them.. if only we were just sorry enough for being so stupid????? I guess that IS a part of repentance.. and it IS good to be able to start over with a clean slate from that sort of perspective. But even if it is nice to get a "do-over" in our hearts, it still it does not always "undo" stuff that we set in motion on the outside. And BOY did she ever, EVER, (ever) make some really bad choices... ones that gave her some REALLY bad consequences.

But what heroine ever listens to me?? I'm a voice in the dark sixty years later.

Ha.. well it is a shame she did not have her "pyschic" connection going on and that she did not hear you calling from so far away, ha. It WOULD have saved her a LOT of trouble. OH, those movie characters.. they NEVER listen.. ha. :D

Policeman - prowler - fancy dancer - murderer - midwife: Van Heflin could pull it off

Wasn't he SOMETHING??? Wowsa.. I still am just so pleasantly suprised thinking about how "captivatingly HORRID" he was. ha.

Ha.. that DOES about sum it up, doesn't it? That is the THIRD great "tag line" I have seen for this movie in this entire chat, ha. Between you and Mr Movieman... and that GREY person.. ha. you should all three go into business w/ one another.

Boy, that'd be squirrels to the nuts.

But even if it is nice to get a "do-over" in our hearts, it still it does not always "undo" stuff that we set in motion on the outside.

So true Ro. Sorry is not the band-aid for everything. And our actions often effect a whole lotta people.

Wasn't he SOMETHING??? Wowsa.. I still am just so pleasantly suprised thinking about how "captivatingly HORRID" he was. ha.

Oh yeah. Webb Garwood was a piece of work!

Congrats on a 1000 great posts Ollie!

Maybe Irena will help you celebrate.

Irena.png?t=1286510726

Now you better let me sample that cake for you. As you know, these gals are dangerous. It might be a trap! :)