Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

It's a female nightmare done in the style of film noir but with a horror vibe. It reminds me of a harsher version of Val Lewton's The Seventh Victim. And since it's a silent film, it kind of plays like German Expressionism. In a very odd way, it's a warped Diary of a Lost Girl.

I just haven't seen a film like Dementia. It find it mesmerizing.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> it looks really heavy. i wonder if bronxie has seen it.

I have! Always assumed DAUGHTER OF HORROR was an Ed Wood, Jr. film, because it certainly has all the earmarks: sexual identity themes (my personal opinion is that the psychotic "gamine" is actually played by a young man), cheapjack, amateurish, yet heartfelt production values, combined elements of sympathy and exploitation for the oddball seedy hipster misfits, risible Criswellesque narration, and silly, over-the-top ooh-it's-scary "musical" score. If this isn't Ed, someone has done an uncanny imitation.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 20, 2010 5:46 AM

I was awake at two, watching the beautiful colors and the odd, sleepwalking dream ending of Picnic at Hanging Rock. When I saw the beginning of Daughter of Horror, I turned off the TV.

Oops!

thanks, bronxie. gosh...i'm not sure i could handle it. you said the word: "hipster". it's a hurdle i find hard to to get past.

now can you explain what "Criswellesque" refers to?

Was it *Dementia* (1955) or *Daughter of Horror* (1957) that was shown? The TCM online schedule had the latter, but my TV provider had the former. Same movie but for the title and Ed McMahon's narration, which does add a Criswellian flavor.

This is one of my favorite horror noirs -- a true noir nightmare. It's the only movie John Parker made, which is a shame given his twisted concept that he translates into film beautifully. Plus it has the involvement of Bruno VeSota, an actor-director-producer worthy of cultish obsession. Do whatever you can to see his *Female Jungle* (1955), starring Lawrence Tierney, John Carradine and Bruno VeSota, with an mesmerizing appearance by Jayne Mansfield, directed by Bruno VeSota, cowritten by Bruno VeSota, and photographed by Woody Bredell. Wow! Sleazy and grimy (or, should I say, Grimesian?).

Was it Dementia (1955) or Daughter of Horror (1957) that was shown? The TCM online schedule had the latter, but my TV provider had the former. Same movie but for the title and Ed McMahon's narration, which does add a Criswellian flavor.

It was Daughter of Horror here, Comcast Harrisburg. I prefer Dementia because McMahon's narration spells it out for you.

This is one of my favorite horror noirs -- a true noir nightmare.

It's one of my all-time favorites, too. It really is a "true noir nightmare." Love the showing of female guilt and female shame and how childhood can really play a major part in a person's life, especially a woman. Men do not come off good at all in this film.

Do whatever you can to see his Female Jungle (1955), starring Lawrence Tierney, John Carradine and Bruno VeSota, with an mesmerizing appearance by Jayne Mansfield, directed by Bruno VeSota, cowritten by Bruno VeSota, and photographed by Woody Bredell. Wow! Sleazy and grimy (or, should I say, Grimesian?).

I wish I could see it! Miss G is even in it as the "man crazy blonde!" Even Jackie is in it! "A girl who is hungry for too many things!" Yeah, that's the female jungle, all right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pLEcfPcCik

>

> I wish I could see it! Miss G is even in it as the "man crazy blonde!" Even Jackie is in it! "A girl who is hungry for too many things!" Yeah, that's the female jungle, all right.

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pLEcfPcCik

you think if i was built like jayne i'd be spending my saturday afternoons on this board...talking to you guys? :P

you think if i was built like jayne i'd be spending my saturday afternoons on this board...talking to you guys?

What would you be doing?!

We're just charity work for you.

> What would you be doing?!

>

i guess i'd be on the riviera. :)

> We're just charity work for you.

because i'm NOT build like jayne, i'm afraid the opposite is true.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> So we men only like women who are built? Oh, my.

well, it is an advantage for a girl. always has been.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> thanks, bronxie. gosh...i'm not sure i could handle it. you said the word: "hipster". it's a hurdle i find hard to to get past.

'50's hipsters are much less obnoxious than today's.

>

> now can you explain what "Criswellesque" refers to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmWq9rr57BA

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I wish I could see it! Miss G is even in it as the "man crazy blonde!" Even Jackie is in it! "A girl who is hungry for too many things!" Yeah, that's the female jungle, all right.

Oh great! I'm the weeper who likes to throw lamps....

yeah. That's about right. :)

Edited by: JackFavell on Nov 20, 2010 8:48 PM

Please tell me who is Criswell's hairstylist. I love his highlights and the little swirl of hair in front. The swirl reminds me of the drain in "Psycho."

Please tell me who is Criswell's hairstylist. I love his highlights and the little swirl of hair in front. The swirl reminds me of the water going down drain in "Psycho."

It's on my DVR, and I look forward to watching it. I did listen to a bit of the intro V/O. I can see Criswell, but I was more reminded of Coffin Joe. But, then I found out the narrator is Ed McMahon. YOW!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Please tell me who is Criswell's hairstylist. I love his highlights and the little swirl of hair in front. The swirl reminds me of the water going down drain in "Psycho."

Criswell's hair always reminds me of Carvel soft-serve ice cream, with their signature curlicue on top. (hmm, I could have that right now. So cool and creamy, but I'd probably still get nightmares)

Am I the only person who thinks the DEMENTIA gamine is really a guy?