Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

OHHHHHHHHH Good gravy.. just LOOK at what I have been missing out on in HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to go back through and see if I can catch up on all my reading. (and that is not to mention watching the MOVIES too.) Oh me.. I did see that at least one of them (was it KC Confidential?) had a link to youtube.. that will help. But OH me..I will just need to make the time to watch it)

And I will have to go check out the others you have all brought up too (especially 99 River Street) At this rate I am going to be the one getting called "shiftless" around here (PERISH the thought)

UGH.. I am such a slacker.

ro, i think you will quite enjoy the john payne noirs, they're enjoyable and he is a good guy to root for (unlike some noirs which can make it hard to know who, if anyone, to root for).

I'm no Pauline,

You're not fooling anyone! :P

but I can't help but swoon over Dexter's eyes. He's a very, very average package but his eyes are extraordinary. It's intersting he's almost always the bad guy. Remember Macao?

Oh, yeah! Macao! He's very good in that one, too.

No kid. It's an excellent villain. He's one of my favorite villains now. And part of the reason is because he worked alone, did you notice? He went up against a more organized group and used his brains to outwit them. I like that. Too bad he had to be a killer. He would have made it, too, except he had to take on Ernie physically, his one mistake. He should have kept running.

What?! He was playing with fire with those crooks! He thought he was smarter than them but he was in over his head.

She was in his corner!

Making a noose!

That would be you, Pauline!

Well, she did marry John Huston, which ought to earn her a medal.

You said you'd like to be with a guy like John Huston!

>

> No kid. It's an excellent villain. He's one of my favorite villains now. And part of the reason is because he worked alone, did you notice? He went up against a more organized group and used his brains to outwit them. I like that. Too bad he had to be a killer. He would have made it, too, except he had to take on Ernie physically, his one mistake. He should have kept running.

>

> What?! He was playing with fire with those crooks! He thought he was smarter than them but he was in over his head.

>

Anything to do with crooks is playing with fire but it's more interesting seeing them up against each other like that, instead of the usual gang vs. the good guy.

>

> You said you'd like to be with a guy like John Huston!

No, I said he was fascinating but a devil.

Anything to do with crooks is playing with fire but it's more interesting seeing them up against each other like that, instead of the usual gang vs. the good guy.

Excellent point. Are you feeling all right?

No, I said he was fascinating but a devil.

A devil? Wow! Maybe I'm related. :P

Huston was a vampire, too?

TCM's showing of 99 River Street caused it to jump an impressive 717% in popularity at IMDb.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Huston was a vampire, too?

>

No, he just liked to dangle by his ankles.

> TCM's showing of 99 River Street caused it to jump an impressive 717% in popularity at IMDb.

Good! I expect the DVD will sell, then.

No, he just liked to dangle by his ankles.

With me, it's my neck!

Good! I expect the DVD will sell, then.

I believe it will. It's a very underrated film. I wish TCM would air I, the Jury, so I could see some more Peggie.

You can see more of her every morning on "Lawman" on Encore Westerns. Of course, her wardrobe won't give you a bonus view but she is there.

>

> I believe it will. It's a very underrated film. I wish TCM would air I, the Jury, so I could see some more Peggie.

If you had Encore you could see her every weekday morning on "Lawman".

Thank you, Movieman and Snippy. I don't have the Encore channels. Not to mention, mornings are death to me!

I'd love to see Peggie in another film noir.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Yes. He's turned into Charles Durning.

I just found that out! I thought he looked just like him, too! The website I got the picture from claimed it was Dexter.

So there's still hope he aged well after all. :D

*River Street is Spoiling Over!!*

Howdy Mr. Grimes.

*I believe Ernie (John Payne) wanted Pauline's (Peggie Castle) love above all else. It hurt him to watch the replay of his title fight of four years ago, but Pauline's punches about his being a horrible failure to her crushed him the most.*

Another noir hero dealing with adjustment. I think Ernie longed for the ring but might have been able to cope if he had some support from Pauline. She couldn't deal with the new circumstances. True love didn't exactly drive Pauline's thought process. Can you imagine four years of listening to her digs? They probably grew worse, just like her bitterness and disappointment. In the end, with Linda's support, Ernie showed he could make the adjustment.

*I loved that about Ernie. He was wearing his frustration.*

He certainly was. It took me a while to get where Ernie was coming from. The opening scene showed it but it took a few reels for it to sink in with me.

*I don't think she ever saw that side of Ernie. And, you're right, I believe she was completely focused on herself. She's to be the counter to Pauline. Pauline is only focusing on her, so Linda is to come from the other side of woman (humans). Ernie rants about women at the end of the film and Linda quickly shoots him down. Rightly so. But she was guilty for that one moment.*

I got the idea that Ernie had to be volatile with some regularity, but perhaps Linda never did see it, or give it much thought. Linda was guilty of focusing only on herself in that instance. Her trying to make amends, seeing how selfish and thoughtless she had been was what brought her character out of the "kooky" and into the sympathetic. I also grew to like her fearlessness in helping Ernie right to the end. Oh yes, I thought she was pushy, and just a tad nutty and reckless, but I liked those qualities when she put them to good use. :)

*(Frank To Movieman Chris) I liked her a lot at first, but then she started to wear on me.*

It was more the opposite with me. I liked her more later in the film. The theater scene nearly did her in for me. She managed to recover, particularly after they found Pauline.

*I was mesmerized by Pauline.*

We're like moths to a flame! :D

*Ahhhhhh, Pauline. She only thinks of herself. And if she's bothered by something, she's going to let you know about it, right at that moment. She's mouth more than brain. Ahhhhhhh, Pauline.*

I totally agree. That's a great description of Pauline.

*I completely agree. My jaw dropped when I saw it was Pauline. I thought the dead body in the cab was the guy Rawlins bumped off to get the diamonds. Ooops! From that moment on, I was really sucked into the film. It was now a serious film noir.*

Exactly. It really took off from there. I wasn't sure about this film at first, but once they see Pauline in that cab. I was hooked.

*You've got it. The film is about being in a person's corner, for better, for worse. Ernie does this for Linda and Linda does it for Ernie.*

I thought the one thing the theater scene did was reveal how far Ernie would go to help Linda. Now it was for real and Linda was put to the test and she really came through.

*Great observation. I loved all of Payne's fight scenes. He was definitely a fighter, with me. Jack Lambert was sensational in this film. His "Mickey" was spot on. Ol' Mick had no idea who he was messing with in Ernie. He acted so superior to him. Little did he know.*

Payne's fight scenes impressed me so much. You are dead on about Lambert's portrayal of Micky. He was great in that scene and I just couldn't wait until ol' Ernie got the chance to knock that smug look off his face. That was a highlight!

*And this is where Stan (Frank Faylen) plays a significant role in this film. He's a "Walter Brennan" with real influence. The cut man is definitely in your corner. He reins in Ernie.*

Great that you mentioned this. I didn't say anything about Stan in my original comments and that was an oversight on my part. I agree with you here and I liked Faylen's performance.

*Miss G is very correct about Brad Dexter's "Rawlins." He's so smooth. You can see the ladies falling for him and his easy eyes.*

I liked Dexter's Rawlins, although maybe I was too focused on Castle in those early scenes to really catch all the nuance of his performance. I thought he was a charming snake, but I agree with Miss G. about how he takes on the big guys. He won't let himself be crossed. I thought that took some guts and defined his character somewhat. Smart? Tough? Foolhardy? All three probably.

I agree with you however, that he was going down a dangerous road here. Taking on these guys wasn't going to end well, but I don't think he ever figured on Ernie either. He was going to make Ernie a fall guy and like Micky, he misjudged who he was dealing with.

*I was impressed by the film as well. I really enjoyed the ride. It's a film that captures film noir. Love those seedy characters. Jay Adler was brilliant as "Christopher." He likes the dames. :D*

I really liked it too. I wasn't sure I would at first but once it got going I thought it was a darn good film. It does capture the elements of noir.

Christopher knows dames ain't nothin' but trouble! :D

Edited by: molo14 on Jan 22, 2011 2:22 AM

Hey everyone, two little seen noirs coming up this Wednesday evening. *Lucky Jordan* with Alan Ladd and Helen Walker (8 p.m.) and *Phantom Lady* with Ella Raines (11:30 p.m.) I've never seen them but have always heard good things about *Phantom Lady*, especially.

I can't quite tell what the theme of the night is, all the films are so dissimilar.

I'm not sure there's a theme...but I see a rumblin' ramblin' good time with Helen Walker, Ava Gardner and the great Ella Raines in the midst of "Lucky Jordan" "Phantom Lady" & "The Snows of Kiliman-jaro."

Thank you for the heads up ma'am.

Both are solid, enjoyable noirs. *Lucky Jordan* rises above it's rather obvious WWII propaganda messages. But, *Phantom Lady* is one of the best. Directed by Robert Siodmak, with Ella Raines, and lots of fine character actors, like Thomas Gomez and Regis Toomey. Neither film is available on DVD.

Great! Maybe we can compare and contrast Helen and Ella. Naaaah, what am I talking about. Who needs to make this an assignment. I just want to see 'em both...the light and the dark of noir.

Oh goody!!

*but I see a rumblin' ramblin' good time with Helen Walker, Ava Gardner and the great Ella Raines in the midst of "Lucky Jordan" "Phantom Lady" & "The Snows of Kiliman-jaro."*

Let's not overlook Susan Hayward, also in THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO.