Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Walk on the Noir Side

rohanaka

I was all set to record *House on 92 Street*, but I did it again.... made it to the intro and fell asleep before pushing the button. I swear, it's a *Village of the Damned* kind of thing -when I hear Robert Osborne's voice I immediately fall unconscious.

For those of you enamored by John Payne a week or two ago here's a link to the Movie Morlock's site and a short article on *99 River Street.* There's a nice juicy picture of Brad Dexter too.

http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/02/08/mgm-movies-on-demand-99-river-street-1953/

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy...if you EVER do see it, please let me know. Lizabeth Scott, Burt Lancaster, John Hodiak, Wendell Corey and the great Mary Astor.Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!

Noooooooooh, I don't think you want me to talk about Desert Fury. :D

Oh...well, if you like her in it...then that's a ringing endorsement. No? I like her pouty and petulant.

Liz was all right as the inexperienced young woman.

I saw the film as mostly a female soap opera (mother-daughter) more than film noir. And, actually, it plays more as a western than film noir.

It's a bit of a twist in that the guys are chasing the woman and many answer to a woman. I can see how you would like it.

Oooh, I hate the word soap opera sometimes. Makes me feel somethin's made diminutive. There was some darkness in "Desert Fury" for me. Perhaps not a true noir, even though it's been touted as a color noir. Burt Lancaster was lovely window dressing. Interesting dynamic between Wendell Corey and John Hodiak. Astor as Fritzie barking out orders I guess is my cup o' tea. Lizabeth played with fire and nearly got burned. But yes, she did have more edge in "Too Late For Tears." She went off the deep end. Literally.

"Turn that wheel!!!!"

Oooh, I hate the word soap opera sometimes. Makes me feel somethin's made diminutive.

It depends if you like soap opera or not. I used to watch soap operas, so I like my share of soap. This one didn't do much for me. There's a lot of artificiality with Desert Fury.

There was some darkness in "Desert Fury" for me.

Such as...

Perhaps not a true noir, even though it's been touted as a color noir.

I don't have a problem with it being viewed as a film noir. It has some twisted elements.

Burt Lancaster was lovely window dressing.

And that's about all he was. Burt is usually more compelling. But he was playing the "good girl" in this one.

Interesting dynamic between Wendell Corey and John Hodiak.

Definitely. That was the best part of the film, for me. Johnny's (Wendell Corey) shrinking of Eddie (John Hodiak) was my favorite moment. I didn't like what happened after that.

Astor as Fritzie barking out orders I guess is my cup o' tea.

It certainly is. :) I thought it was interesting to see Mary playing such a character. Quite a change from what I'm used to with her. She was rather unnerving.

Lizabeth played with fire and nearly got burned.

Yes, she was quite impetuous.

"Turn that wheel!!!!"

Pure soap!

It depends if you like soap opera or not. I used to watch soap operas, so I like my share of soap. This one didn't do much for me. There's a lot of artificiality with Desert Fury.

Whachu talkin' 'bout Willis? Artificiality...the sets...the emotion?

There was some darkness in "Desert Fury" for me.

Such as...

Okay, let me say...twisted.

I don't have a problem with it being viewed as a film noir. It has some twisted elements.

Yeah, the Mother & Daughter liking the same man; the man liking the daughter who reminded him of another woman; and how close were Johnny and Eddie?

And that's about all he was. Burt is usually more compelling. But he was playing the "good girl" in this one.

Ha! Yeah. But this was soooo early in his career. Awwww let him stand there and let me ogle.

Interesting dynamic between Wendell Corey and John Hodiak.

Definitely. That was the best part of the film, for me. Johnny's (Wendell Corey) shrinking of Eddie (John Hodiak) was my favorite moment. I didn't like what happened after that.

I hear ya. Soap op'ry.

...I thought it was interesting to see Mary playing such a character. Quite a change from what I'm used to with her. She was rather unnerving."

Hmmmm, 'round the time she played Marmee in "Little Women." Yeah...she was a harridan.

"Turn that wheel!!!!"

Pure soap!

Yeah, who'm I kidding. But a deeply twisted soap. Did you notice the other blonde...from "Too Late for Tears"?? Icy.

Sorry you didn't like it more. I hate for folks to feel like they're wasting their time.

Whachu talkin' 'bout Willis? Artificiality...the sets...the emotion?

Definitely the sets and some of the moments. My least favorite part of the film is when Paula (Lizabeth Scott) is in her room, thinking of Eddie while a storm is going on outside. Then we go to Eddie, pining for her. Sigh.

Yeah, the Mother & Daughter liking the same man; the man liking the daughter who reminded him of another woman; and how close were Johnny and Eddie?

Johnny was very into Eddie. :D I also thought the mother-daughter relationship was twisted. Mary Astor was playing "Big Mommy."

Ha! Yeah. But this was soooo early in his career.

It was. But his first two films had him playing more interesting guys. It was a disappointment for me to see Burt like this.

Awwww let him stand there and let me ogle.

No!

I hear ya. Soap op'ry.

:P

Did you notice the other blonde...from "Too Late for Tears"??

No. Who did she play? Did she play Miss G? You know, the snobby girl with her mom.

Definitely the sets and some of the moments. My least favorite part of the film is when Paula (Lizabeth Scott) is in her room, thinking of Eddie while a storm is going on outside. Then we go to Eddie, pining for her. Sigh.

Haaaaahaaaa. I'm laughing 'cuz for some reason...I knew that'd be the part. And see, this is the part where I'm looking at the fashion. (A commercial break from the plot). I was lovin' Lizabeth's clothes and the color scheme and her big picture window.

Johnny was very into Eddie. I also thought the mother-daughter relationship was twisted. Mary Astor was playing "Big Mommy."

Her crazy pianist in "The Great Lie" foreshadows this performance.

Ha! Yeah. But this was soooo early in his career.

It was. But his first two films had him playing more interesting guys. It was a disappointment for me to see Burt like this.

I understand. Nothing to pin your hat on, watching him standing around moping and pining for a spoiled brat and Chicawa Falls

Awwww let him stand there and let me ogle.

No!

Whew! You're tough.

Did you notice the other blonde...from "Too Late for Tears"??

No. Who did she play? Did she play Miss G? You know, the snobby girl with her mom.

Uh-oh....welll, Yes and No:

Yes, Kristine Miller, Lizabeth's 'sister-in-law' in "...Tears."

No, I don't know how Miss G is with her Mother.

Haaaaahaaaa. I'm laughing 'cuz for some reason...I knew that'd be the part. And see, this is the part where I'm looking at the fashion. (A commercial break from the plot). I was lovin' Lizabeth's clothes and the color scheme and her big picture window.

Translation: Female Soap Opera! I feel like I'm talking with Snippy, the Wrongheaded Mule!

I understand. Nothing to pin your hat on, watching him standing around moping and pining for a spoiled brat and Chicawa Falls

Oh, and that ending. What was that?! All that was missing was Toto or a wedding!

No, I don't know how Miss G is with her Mother.

One of them is a snob!

Aaaaaaaaaaah, that's a clarion call if ever I read one. I'll pass the torch before I'm burned.

But you're right about that walk into the sunset. Noirish-lite. But what can I say, I liked the female-centered drama. And I love Lizabeth Scott.

But you're right about that walk into the sunset. Noirish-lite.

Very much so. Quite a sappy ending. Or is it a soapy ending? :D

But what can I say, I liked the female-centered drama. And I love Lizabeth Scott.

I know. Desert Fury is completely "you." I'm glad I watched it. I was very curious to see it.

Now I may watch The Locket since Quiet Gal has just watched it. That's another film I've been long-interested in watching.

I've been trying to watch different films for different people. I recently watched Jackie's The Merry Widow. She won't like my feelings about that one, either. :D

> But I can see you two as the leads in Desert Fury. Hey, you get to choose between Burt Lancaster and John Hodiak. Knowing you, you'd play them both.

Alas, my mother was never able to outsmart any men like Mary did.

joanb-scarletstreet-1.jpg

That is quite impressive Mr. Grimes.

Maybe you should go out and rent 2008's 10,000 BC.

And the film has a link to the past. Sherif Ali (Omar Sharif) from Lawrence of Arabia provides the film's narration.

Well at least one thing is for sure, I will never catch up with you.

Congrats!

Archived