Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Walk on the Noir Side

rohanaka

Thank you, Reyman.

10,000................ That is quite impressive Mr. Grimes. Maybe you should go out and rent 2008's 10,000 BC.

With me, it would be 10,000 BS.

And the film has a link to the past. Sherif Ali (Omar Sharif) from Lawrence of Arabia provides the film's narration.

All you need to know about me and my knowledge is that the first time I knew of Omar Sharif was in Top Secret!. And that's still how I know of him! "Omar Sharif!"

Well at least one thing is for sure, I will never catch up with you.

This is film noir, so my days are numbered. You'll catch up with my lifeless body! Lots of suspects. But I predict a skillet will be the murder weapon.

Grimesy me boy...congratulations on reaching the big 10K. You've been a great film enthusiast! Many more.

Why do I feel like those are the words you say to me before you force me off the bridge and walk off into the sunset with Burt? Or is it this?!:

letter1.png

Thanks, Lively Gal. :)

Dear Friend: Congratulations on 10,000 posts. Your fine humor and gentlemanly manner along with your passion for movies are such a treat to read. I appreciate your friendship and your willingness to share. Thanks for all you do.

somewhereinthenight1.jpg

Oh, no! Movieman has amnesia! He's got me confused with someone else! Which one of you dames wronged him? You just can't be nice to the sweet ones, can you?! Awful!

Thanks, Movieman. I hope you get better soon. :D

Why do I feel like those are the words you say to me before you force me off the bridge and walk off into the sunset with Burt? Or is it this?!

I love the screencap of Bette (and at the end...she still loved the man she killed). But you wrong me. You wound me. You cut me to the quick, Grimesy. It was not I with the skillet. (Tulla is my 'tall in the saddle' witness and besides, I don't know HOW to cook). Nor is it I with that revolver.

I fear your fate will be similar to Eddie G.'s in "SCARLET STREET" clothes tattered, smelling of alcohol and paint, babbling incoherently. I can make out a few words. Speak up. Something about...

"Snippy...Snippy. I want to paint your masterpieces. I have 10Ks...come back Snip-----"

You fall to the pavement with an ugly thud. Glo-lo kicks you while you're down and skips away.

But keep those post-a-comin'!!!

Well, look at you, my DEAR Grey Friend.. 10,000 posts??????????????????? Wowsa..

Now ordinarily an occassion like this calls for CAKE!! But then (alas) I remembered who I was dealing with and I knew that not just ANY cake would do..

Lucky for me I found JUST the right recipe.. :P:P:P

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/images/20080720-cartoonkitchen.jpg

(Congrats on the 10K, Grey Dude!! ) :D

Saurkraut cupcake, anyone?????????? :P

202364.jpg

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> 10,000 posts, Frank? That's a lulu!

>

> I'll say. And you go right for the jugular with Lulu poisoning! I have no chance! Gee, thanks. :)

>

> Diary of a Found Dead Boy

"A little more love and no-one would be lost in this world"

And we know all about you now

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA (and HA!)

Well now I KNOW I need to see that movie.. if only to find out about the "lurid chapters" that are being written about all my "exploits". HA. (To borrow from my beloved Duke: "That'll be the day.") ha.

Wednesday Feb 16, 7:15pm: "KC Confidential" on Rohanaka... suspect just finished eating some fried chicken and mashed potatoes... 7:18 PM: Suspect appears listless and is nearly asleep on the living room couch. 7:20 PM: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HA! :P

I know.. how B-O-R-I-N-G! ha... but that is about as "lurid" as it gets around here. :P

Wednesday Feb 16, 7:15pm: "KC Confidential" on Rohanaka... suspect just finished eating some fried chicken and mashed potatoes... 7:18 PM: Suspect appears listless and is nearly asleep on the living room couch. 7:20 PM: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HA!

Listen Carolann... oh sorry, it sounded too familiar.

Something that may be of interest to all you noiristas out there, especially Robert Mitchum fans. A documentary about RKO, the YouTube clips below focus on Mitchum's prime years at the studio with plenty about the film noir style and how it was treated there. Featuring interviews from Edward Dymytryk, Jane Greer, Jane Russell, Jean Simmons, various screenwriting and production people and, of course, the Mitch himself, it's very entertaining, better than many docs of today that are disconcertingly full of fancy editing and post production but little content.

I was particularly struck by the account between Mitchum, Jean and Preminger on the set of Angel Face. I'd always heard the villainy of the story attributed to Von Sternberg (on Macao), but it seems to have been Otto who brought out the "beast" in Mitch. (Boy, they call John Ford tough. He was a pussycat compared to those Krauts. :D )

Part One:

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four (it cuts off abruptly here, not sure if the rest of the documentary is available elsewhere):

Archived