Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mystery Of The Wax Museum and Doctor X on 5/5 and 5/7 respectively

Does anyone know if TCM will be showing the restoration versions of these two films?  I know they were originally filmed in two strip technicolor and I had also heard they they had both been recently restored. They had originally been thought as "lost" until copies were found in Jack Warner's possession after his death. 

• Like 1

I was under the impression that TCM won't show Warner Archives releases until a year after their release. Therefore my guess is that while Mystery of the Wax Museum's restoration might be shown, Doctor X's will not.

• Thanks 2

I totally forgot about the airing this morning of "Mystery Of The Wax Museum" until it was too late. I planned on recording it. I could kick myself. Did anyone watch it and if so was it the restored color version? Just curious.

Don't forget that DOCTOR X (hopefully restored) is on in the wee hours Friday morning (1:30 am EST).

Doctor X (1932) | Ministry of Anxiety

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

I totally forgot about the airing this morning of "Mystery Of The Wax Museum" until it was too late. I planned on recording it. I could kick myself. Did anyone watch it and if so was it the restored color version? Just curious.

The restored version of Wax Museum is currently showing on the West Coast live feed.  Hopefully it will be added to the WatchTCM on-demand list once the live showing completes.

• Thanks 1
On 5/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, midnight08 said:

I could kick myself.

Yeah, that's how I feel for not recording Dr X. Seen  enough of the dull, scratchy version, no idea it was restored.

"Mystery of the Wax Museum" was shown in its restored, two-strip technicolor version.  I think this movie has aired at least two or three times since it was restored, and it looks great!  It's still a bit odd to see so much sea foam or peach hues to the colorized process, but hey, it was 1933 when it was made.  Movies have come a long way since then.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I repeatedly watched and recorded WAX MUSEUM and DOCTOR X when they ran in October on TCM and both prints were fine (as I recall)...although I recall once upon a time viewing a print of DOCTOR X that had some very bad damage in the scene between FAY WRAY and LEE TRACY in their townhouse living room (when he tries to steal her picture.)

i watch both pretty much whenever they're on.

The print of DOCTOR X shown by TCM this morning  stated at the beginning that it had been restored by UCLA and the Film Foundation. I didn't make a point of comparing the colour on this version to the old DVD release I have of the film but the vertical scratches on the old DVD were missing from the TCM broadcast shown today.

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yeah, that's how I feel for not recording Dr X. Seen  enough of the dull, scratchy version, no idea it was restored.

Well, I learned from my mistake and made sure I recorded Doctor X early this morning.  Hopefully TCM will show Mystery of the Wax Museum in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

The print they showed looks just like the new Warner Archive blu of Dr. X, so, yes, they showed the restored version even though the Warner Archive just released it. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...