Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria Grahame. Damn fine actress.

I guess I'm not saying anything that's a surprise.  I was prompted to post, however, by watching a recording I made of a movie from Fox movie channel, a recording when Fox movie channel was part of the DirectTV package I have (Funny, HBO, which I have almost no interest in, is included, but Fox, which I do, is not).  Anyway, the movie, The Man Who Never Was (1956), an above average wartime thriller based in London, has her in a small but intense roll as a woman involved with a flier.  You can probably tell what happens.  Her story intertwines with the main plot, and offers her some moments that show she is of a different order from the other actors in the movie.  She has opportunities to display her raw and ragged emotions that in another actress would be embarrassing to watch.  I don't know anyone who could have handled the role so well, maybe Ann Dvorak or somebody like that.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I guess I'm not saying anything that's a surprise.  I was prompted to post, however, by watching a recording I made of a movie from Fox movie channel, a recording when Fox movie channel was part of the DirectTV package I have (Funny, HBO, which I have almost no interest in, is included, but Fox, which I do, is not).  Anyway, the movie, The Man Who Never Was (1956), an above average wartime thriller based in London, has her in a small but intense roll as a woman involved with a flier.  You can probably tell what happens.  Her story intertwines with the main plot, and offers her some moments that show she is of a different order from the other actors in the movie.  She has opportunities to display her raw and ragged emotions that in another actress would be embarrassing to watch.  I don't know anyone who could have handled the role so well, maybe Ann Dvorak or somebody like that.

Yes.

Mighty Fine Artist ,Indeed,. 🎨🌈

At First i couldnt put a Face & Figure to Said Name..

..but That was then, ..& This is Now.

_

Feel Free to Shoot Either (or Both) of These +Full of Arrows but i,ll posit the Performance Chops of Madam Karen Sharpe (and) or Maureen O'Hara ..

Gloria Grahame is a favorite on this board, rightly so. Although she's in several movies, it just seems she's just not on screen as much as we'd like to see her. I wonder if she was difficult on set? She has the same quality as MM in that when she's on the screen your eyes go right to her.

Although she was "quirky", I was very turned off by the recent movie about her later years, "Stars Don't Die In Liverpool" despite deftly portrayed by talented Annette Benning.

A different pose from this photo shoot hangs on my "Gloria/George" wall (note the netting panel under her neck that holds the dress up):

Annex%20-%20Grahame,%20Gloria%20(Crossfi

But this picture really captures her classic flirty expression:

8ec78bee51ddfb0e6c802f61610ef917.jpg

• Like 6

I agree she's an excellent actress.  Her performance in In a Lonely Place (1950) was particularly outstanding.  In addition, her looks in this film qualify her for consideration as one of Hollywood's most beautiful classic actresses (not top of the charts, IMO, but somewhere on the list).

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, pierce said:

I agree she's an excellent actress.  Her performance in In a Lonely Place (1950) was particularly outstanding.  In addition, her looks in this film qualify her for consideration as one of Hollywood's most beautiful classic actresses (not top of the charts, IMO, but somewhere on the list).

You needn't be so modest.  I rate an actress' beauty by my internal response (a personal scale, I know).  Miss Grahame equals or exceeds any of the standard beauties.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

You needn't be so modest.  I rate an actress' beauty by my internal response (a personal scale, I know).  Miss Grahame equals or exceeds any of the standard beauties.

I've always considered it a "down to Earth" kind of beauty instead of just  surface glamour.  ;) 

Sepiatone (at least I know what I mean)

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

She's very good in THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1956).

Recently I watched her in a British noir called THE GOOD DIE YOUNG (1954). She portrays a wicked lady in that one, a self-absorbed adulteress, married to John Ireland. At one point Ireland gets so fed up with her that he hauls her into the bathroom and puts her in the shower and turns the water on while she is still fully clothed. She plays it perfectly, this naughty spoiled woman who deserves a comeuppance and gets it.

She had a way of understanding which scene in the script was going to be the most memorable one for her and she would always put everything into it. She does that in SUDDEN FEAR (conspiring with Jack Palance to kill Joan Crawford) and in ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (trying to seduce Robert Ryan behind Shelley Winters' back). She's an actress with strong instincts that knew how to pick the right scripts for herself.

Other films where she stands out: OKLAHOMA! (1955) and RIDE OUT FOR REVENGE (1957).

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Definitely an eye magnet, she was heartbreaking in THE BIG HEAT

Though I think she preferred her coffee a little too hot.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 2.01.19 PM.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Though I think she preferred her coffee a little too hot.

I wanted to use the famous image of GLORIA with LEE MARVIN and the scar on her face... but it'd be removed because of the only source I found displaying it.  Oh that sequence is rough! 

Yep, great actress, alright. And, over the years and since my first exposure to her work when I was a younger, I've grown to appreciate her acting skills more and more.

(...but sorry, looks-wise, I've always thought and still think she has a rather strange appearance and was never "beautiful"...at least to me anyway...and her lisp, well, let's just say I've always found it a bit distracting...BUT like I said, terriffic actress and one best cast as the woman the fates always seemed against)

The too-familiar first time we see Violet Bick, played perfectly-especially her facial expression when flipping her hair.

And I love her quick smile of acknowledgment when George Bailey comments on her HAT. It's almost as if Lionel Barrymore gave her some pointers in this, her first movie appearance.

5cf07e5209ef4beac012213f7f6b866d.jpg

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The look she was going for (with the tissue stuffed under her upper lip) her favorite image.

In the days before botox. 

I remember reading that Gloria was difficult to work with on Oklahoma and her career went into decline after that....

On 5/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, Hibi said:

I remember reading that Gloria was difficult to work with on Oklahoma and her career went into decline after that....

Gloria Grahame's career went into decline because of rumors that she had sex with her 13-year-old stepson, Nicholas Ray's son.  Whom she later married.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:06 AM, cigarjoe said:

The look she was going for (with the tissue stuffed under her upper lip) her favorite image.

1gsIYUC.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder if that tissue paper contributed to her lisp later in her career?

Nah, now that I think about it, even early on and when she played Violet Bick, it was pretty pronounced, wasn't it.

(...yep, doesn't she say in that one, "I changedth my mind, Georgeth. I'm stayin' in Bedford Fallsth" as she drops that money he earlier gave her into that laundry basket???)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Vidor said:

Gloria Grahame's career went into decline because of rumors that she had sex with her 13-year-old stepson, Nicholas Ray's son.  Whom she later married.

That may be too, but there were problems with her during Oklahoma and that was really the last important film she starred in. Too bad.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

That may be too, but there were problems with her during Oklahoma and that was really the last important film she starred in. Too bad.

So, in other words (and lyrics)...

46160b74c24562256e2f7bccb811417b.jpg

"OOOOOOOOK-lahoma, was when her career began circling down the drain..."

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Hibi said:

Most of the women from her generation were finding it difficult to retain their star status in movies from 1955 onward. Many of them were forced to go into television.

• Like 1