Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAIRSPRAY (1988) on TCM at 8pm est tonight!

Thanks for the reminder! I almost forgot. This is the original, not the musical version. (though there is music in it)

• Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for the reminder! I almost forgot. This is the original, not the musical version. (though there is music in it)

Oh yeah, the original film that I loved when it was new and STILL love.  JOHN WATERS uncovered so many overlooked and forgotten records.  I saw the musical on Broadway and it was good, all new songs, not nostalgic dance records, but that freaking scary Travolta movie... ech. 

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

For some reason GRAVY by DEE DEE SHARP was not on the soundtrack album, but the song features prominently in the film.

Yepper, not on the soundtrack. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

2bec8784367ff43521d1a002c6e1df65.jpg

"Miss Soft Shell Crab wasn't handed to me on a silver platter !"

LOVE THAT HAIR!!!!! :D

Enjoyed seeing the movie again, but seeing it reminded me that the musical version is so much better. For one thing, it's longer and the songs allow for more character development (and laughs!) The tv version was pretty good, but they cut some stuff and slowed down the tempo on songs.

Still have it on tape.  But what I liked(and my wife too) about the original was that we each knew people who were like some of the kid's characters in the movie.  And other kid's parents who were close to the movie's too.  And remembering too...

TV teen dance shows like the movie's parody "Corny Collins" show....

Big "ratted" hair-dos, that weren't really too exaggerated  in the movie  ;) 

The downplay of "colored" dance and music on the  late '50's-early '60's top 40 pop music and dance.  

The newer remake?  Well, I though Travolta in drag was a hoot.  And the young actress that played Tracy(Nikki Blonsky) was way talented.  Too bad she dropped out of sight.   And a quick scene of  early '60's pregnant women sitting in a bar sipping martinis and smoking cigarettes.  My, how times have changed.  ;) 

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOVE THAT HAIR!!!!! :D

I love watching old What's My Line episodes (I guess they're all old, really).  Anyway, Debbie Harry's hair reminds me of this appearance (one of many) by Ginger Rogers.  This one was in 1962.

What's My Line? - Ginger Rogers; Alan King [panel] (Aug 5, 1962) - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I love watching old What's My Line episodes (I guess they're all old, really).  Anyway, Debbie Harry's hair reminds me of this appearance (one of many) by Ginger Rogers.  This one was in 1962.

What's My Line? - Ginger Rogers; Alan King [panel] (Aug 5, 1962) - YouTube

OMG! LOL. Joan Fontaine sported that upswept do, too. in the  early 60s. There was also a variation that curled out on the side. Must've taken a ton of HAIRSPRAY!!!

The songs heard in the film that are excluded from the soundtrack, luckily, are or were not so "obscure" as the majority.  I think only the title song was written for the movie.