Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAIRSPRAY (1988) on TCM at 8pm est tonight!

56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

said DEE DEE SHARP: "NO, YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY GRAVY WITH YOUR MASHED POTATOES!"

I'm a vegetarian, so don't eat gravy!

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm a vegetarian, so don't eat gravy!

!

i did not know that! 

(Good for you, not eating red meat is one of the best things you can do for the environment.)

On 5/4/2021 at 9:55 PM, Moe Howard said:

2bec8784367ff43521d1a002c6e1df65.jpg

I like the huge pseudo-Keene portrait and bursting grape lavabo in the back ground! Haha I just noticed the dollar sign balusters on the staircase too! Hilarious!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Not using aerosol hairspray also. (I like to continue a theme.)

True! :D

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

!

i did not know that! 

(Good for you, not eating red meat is one of the best things you can do for the environment.)

I do eat seafood sometimes. But, yeah, no land meat since my mid 20s.........I don't really miss it (not into cooking that much) Sometimes I get a yen for a hamburger, but it passes. LOL.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I like the huge pseudo-Keene portrait and bursting grape lavabo in the back ground! Haha I just noticed the dollar sign balusters on the staircase too! Hilarious!

YES! Loved their tacky house!

Not a major studio release, probably. If there'd been a best wig and make up category back then, SHOULD have! (not sure when that started)

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Not a major studio release, probably. If there'd been a best wig and make up category back then, SHOULD have! (not sure when that started)

There was a make-up category at the Oscars in 1988, but hairstyling was not added to the category's description until 2012. Hairspray was a New Line Cinema release and was largely well reviewed in February 1988, with even the highbrow magazines like The New Yorker sending reviewers to it.  New Line was still pretty tiny in 1988, but they received a minor nod that year for Costume Design for A Handful of Dust, their year-end Evelyn Waugh adaptation, starring James Wilby, Kirstin Scott Thomas, Rupert Graves, Anjelica Huston, Judi Dench, and Alec Guinness. I'll share the Oscar lineups, for Art Decoration, Costume Design, and Makeup from 1988.

Makeup
Beetlejuice (Geffen Co/Warner Bros.)
Coming to America (Paramount)
Scrooged (Paramount)

Art Decoration
Beaches (Touchstone)
Dangerous Liaisons (Lorimar/Warner Bros.)
Rain Man (United Artists)
Tucker: The Man and His Dream (Lucasfilm/Paramount)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Touchstone/Amblin)

Costume Design
Coming to America (Paramount)
Dangerous Liaisons (Lorimar/Warner Bros.)
A Handful of Dust (New Line Cinema)
Sunset (TriStar)
Tucker: The Man and His Dream (Lucasfilm/Paramount)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, New Line was not a Hollywood major and I assume those in the set design field voted for people they knew when they nominated people. Is New Line even still around? I think there were several "Lines" Wasn't there a Fine Line too? I know one went belly up. Didnt Weinstein take over one of them?

I never understood the nomination for Beaches.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, New Line was not a Hollywood major and I assume those in the set design field voted for people they knew when they nominated people. Is New Line still around?

New Line was pretty much absorbed into Warner Bros after the economic downturn in 2007. The name still appears on some films, but most are undistinguished R-rated comedies or horror films, although they did get a good film with the twisty 2019 thriller The Good Liar with Helen Mirren and Ian McKellan.

As for the Beaches nod, it does seem pretty odd (unless maybe they built that beachhouse from scratch). 

On 5/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, Vautrin said:

I think Debbie should stick to singing.   :)

Debbie has said that John Waters wanted her to contribute music to the movie but her record label said no. She and Chris Stein had previously contributed to the Polyester soundtrack in 1981, including the title song sung by Tab Hunter.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, New Line was not a Hollywood major and I assume those in the set design field voted for people they knew when they nominated people. Is New Line even still around? I think there were several "Lines" Wasn't there a Fine Line too? I know one went belly up. Didnt Weinstein take over one of them?

BETTE MIDLER has that WEIRD EXPERIMENTAL MUSICAL THEATER NUMBER “OH INDUSTRY!” that has a sort of METROPOLIS look to the set and there is also the set for the OTTO TITSLING number and the FLORIDA DANCE HALL WITH THE FLAMINGOS too!

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

New Line was pretty much absorbed into Warner Bros after the economic downturn in 2007. The name still appears on some films, but most are undistinguished R-rated comedies or horror films, although they did get a good film with the twisty 2019 thriller The Good Liar with Helen Mirren and Ian McKellan.

As for the Beaches nod, it does seem pretty odd (unless maybe they built that beachhouse from scratch). 

New Line was bought by Turner back in the 90s, and then became part of the Warner empire

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BETTE MIDLER has that WEIRD EXPERIMENTAL MUSICAL THEATER NUMBER “OH INDUSTRY!” that has a sort of METROPOLIS look to the set and there is also the set for the OTTO TITSLING number and the FLORIDA DANCE HALL WITH THE FLAMINGOS too!

It's Metropolis crossed with Eyes Wide Shut and the MJ video Thriller...

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DougieB said:

Debbie has said that John Waters wanted her to contribute music to the movie but her record label said no. She and Chris Stein had previously contributed to the Polyester soundtrack in 1981, including the title song sung by Tab Hunter.

Interesting. I didn't know about those things. Hairspray is funny at times, but to me it doesn't quite work as

a whole. Debbie's part in the movie is pretty small and it's really just a lark. I still prefer Blondie. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's Metropolis crossed with Eyes Wide Shut and the MJ video Thriller...

I wonder if Bette’s husband had something to do with it, I think at the time she had just recently married a German performance artist (to whom she is still married.)