Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

That's a great question, Goddess!I was wondering too.

Bronxie,

Your mom forgot to mix in Call Northside 777, although it really isn't in the same category.... are there any other _thrillers_ with phone references in the title? I can't think of any right now....

>

> Your mom forgot to mix in Call Northside 777, although it really isn't in the same category.... are there any other _thrillers_ with phone references in the title? I can't think of any right now....

I was going to say Butterfield 8, but that's not a thriller, either. :D

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Oh, oh, oh, jackie, RUDY!!! Not only can I totally understand, BUT! I also had a thing for him, before Nelson Eddy took his place as my upright square American crooner!

>

> THAT'S IT! Uptight square American crooner... I think I'm in love.

I actually MEANT to say "upTIGHT", ha! And I guess "upRIGHT" fits too!

Yeah, I threw Rudy over for Eddy. I'm so fickle...

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > Mom: "Oh! Speaking of Ray Milland, he looked TERRIBLE in that Lana Turner movie."

> > Me: "I have to go now".

> >

>

> Okay, now I'm dying to know what Ray Milland movie with Lana? A Life of Her Own? I didn't think he looked so bad there...was there another? I'm asking because I usually agree with her, lol.

Yeah, A LIFE OF HER OWN, when it was on the other day. Mom actually thought Ray looked way too old for Lana in 1951, while she thought he looked better and younger in DIAL M for MURDER, filmed 3 years later. Go figure.

I've never seen ALOHO, so I can't judge.

We talked about HOUSE OF BAMBOO:

Me: "What did you think of it?"

Mom: "Who told Robert Stack he could act? He was just awful, a real block of wood! I never realized how DULL he was!"

Me: "Duller than Robert Cummings?"

Mom: "Oh, definitely! Robert Cummings is more animated, don't you think? He always seemed to have a twinkle in his eye".

Me: "Compared to Robert Stack, relatively speaking, you're probably right."

Mom: "Shirley Yamaguchi was very lovely, a nice actress, and Robert Ryan's character was off his rocker. He's a good actor. Japan was pretty, but the movie was too violent for me."

Me: "I think it was supposed to be pulpy and over-the-top".

Mom: "Well, you would know more about those sorts of things than me".

> Bronxie,

> Your mom forgot to mix in Call Northside 777, although it really isn't in the same category.... are there any other _thrillers_ with phone references in the title? I can't think of any right now....

I'm almost certain she's never seen CALL NORTHSIDE 777 (heck, I'd love to see it!)

Thrillers with phone references, hmmm....In A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN, Lou thinks he's talking to a dog when Larry Talbot calls him from London in the midst of a full moon.

Mom: "Shirley Yamaguchi was very lovely, a nice actress, and Robert Ryan's character was off his rocker. He's a good actor. Japan was pretty, but the movie was too violent for me."

She's just great! Yay! Another Robby Ryan fan! :D

Me: "I think it was supposed to be pulpy and over-the-top".

Mom: "Well, you would know more about those sorts of things than me".

hahahahahahahaaa!!!

Oh, my gosh, I am rolling on the floor! First your mom with the "you know more about pulpy" line, then poor Nelson... he and Rudy DO look alike! Scary....

I actually only discovered Nelson in thelast year or so... I though he was pretty much a block of wood - almost worse than Robert Stack if you can believe it , until I read that he and Jeannette MacDonald had this forever affair. All that time pretending ... then I watched Rose Marie and I was completely smitten with the two of them - he loved her SO much.... (choke). Sorry, I'm getting all weepy.

I could NOT watch *House of Bamboo* all the way through. I don't know why. It bothered me.

I had EXACTLY the same reactions towards Nelson Eddy! Until, like you, I saw him in ROSE MARIE, and I was hooked. Unlike dear Rudy, Nelson had a sense of humor about his stiff Dudley Do-Right characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jPiWKodOZ4

I kind of dug HOUSE OF BAMBOO, even though I thought it had a wandering script that really needed tightening up; And (not to give away spoilers) I THOUGHT it was just too good to be true about Bob Stack's scruffy character in the beginning.....

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 13, 2009 10:50 PM

> I think she said "I must've had rocks in my head to marry Gene Raymond." Poor Gene!

>

> I actually find him to be a scream in Mr. and Mrs. Smith - His drunk scene kills me.

Ooh, I might watch that again -- the movie's on YouTube in its entirety.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> In Bob Stack's favor, however, he did have a sense of humor about HIS image, too, LOL:

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1amYd47CQs

Oh god, that movie actually made me change my mind about Robert Stack - when he whipped off those sunglasses only to have another pair on underneath I almost peed my pants. I decided right then and there that he must have a sense of humor under that stiff Elliot Ness exterior. I still don't think he's a good actor, but he seems like a nice guy to me now.

>Rudy was upset that I broke up with him:

>

Oh, Rudy! I'll comfort you! He's so dreamy.

Speaking of LOL moments, Rudy never fails to crack me up in Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer. I really do wait for the moment in the restaurant when they are all yelling at each other - "Stand up!" "Sit down!" and whoosh he disappears behind the table.

Ah..... good times. :)

I'm off to bed - I am going to pretend that I can stay up to watch a movie, but I will just fall asleep as soon as I turn on the dvd player......

nite night!

Gene Raymond and I have the same birthday! :)

I just saw him in a couple of comedies with Ann Southern, *Walking on Air* and *The Smartest Girl in Town*, and I really liked them together.

I also happened to see *The Sun Comes Up* recently, which was Jeanette MacDonald's swan song. I slopped around in all the sentiment that MGM could throw at me. I am strangely drawn to Jeanette despite the fact that I don't care that much for her musical style. I'm not sure how she felt sharing her screen time with Lassie, but the dog gave a stellar performance, looking at turns; worried, empathetic and impossibly torn between her feelings of loyalty for Jeanette and her compassion for Claude Jarman Jr.

Of course a snake pops up in one scene and scared the heck out of me. I also enjoyed Jeanette MacDonald sharing snuff with Margaret Hamilton. What a way to end a career! Too soon Jeanette, too soon!

Molo -

I can't believe you made it through that movie! I saw it once a long time ago and just hated it. I agree, Jeannette must've rationalized it by paying her bills with the proceeds. That is the film that made me hate Claude Jarman, Jr. It's taken me till this year to realize he was a really good actor.

Somehow your description reminded me of when I saw *Babe* - I walked out of the theatre literally saying, "That dog should've gotten an Academy Award." Then I had to smother my giggles when I realized what I had said.

Snakes? Ewwwwwww! Hope your home snake problem has gone away.....

Hi Jackie,

> Molo -

> I can't believe you made it through that movie! I saw it once a long time ago and just hated it. I agree, Jeannette must've rationalized it by paying her bills with the proceeds. That is the film that made me hate Claude Jarman, Jr. It's taken me till this year to realize he was a really good actor.

>

The film didn't have a bad premise but it just took the idea and went way over the top with the sentimentality, not only did they try to wring tears by revisiting the same plot points, but that ending! Please!

It is such an odd movie for Jeanette MacDonald. Jarman would go on to make *Roughshod* and then the great *Intruder in the Dust* right after this. Two far superior films.I just wish Jeanette had a better send off. I think she was considering the role of the Mother Abbess in *The Sound of Music* but she too ill to go forward with it.

> Somehow your description reminded me of when I saw *Babe* - I walked out of the theatre literally saying, "That dog should've gotten an Academy Award." Then I had to smother my giggles when I realized what I had said.

>

Ha! Lassie was wonderful! The Academy was probably at a loss to find a proper category for her (him) ;)

> Snakes? Ewwwwwww! Hope your home snake problem has gone away.....

I don't like being taken by surprise like that in a film that is lulling me to sleep! I haven't seen another snake in the house since that night. Knock on wood!! :)

Rudy really developed into a good actor, playing those stuffy foil parts. And he was really fine in a small role as the understanding doctor who operates on Dagmar in I REMEMBER MAMA.

And I like him in HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING (esp. singing "Grand Old Ivy" with Robert Morse -- that song was made for him, ha!) He seemed to instinctively know how to play that kind of rich, eccentric-yet-conservative, opaque businessman type.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 15, 2009 8:32 PM

Ah, you're a Leo! Well, lions can get rid of snakes real easily, can't they?

I haven't seen those Gene Raymond comedies or THE SUN COMES UP, but I tried to make it through Robert Cummings in HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS. I was looking forward to this western fantasy with Bob playing an angel trying to help gruff chubby-fingered Brian Donlevy find his "destiny", but it just bored me to tears and I drifted off on the couch.

Rudy did develop quite well didn't he? I always like it when he turns up. All the films you mentioned I really really love, and Rudy has a lot to do with it.

Heaven Only Knows was pretty awful, but Donlevy seemed to come out of it almost unscathed, whereas Cummings.... oh, lordy. I think the director had it in for poor Bob....

Yay! A Wheeler & Woolsey early this morning! MUMMY'S BOYS. My Bertie in Egypt digging up tombs and ancient treasures!

I saw something SO bizarre on the Fox Movie Channel, stumbling upon it in progress -- THE TWO LITTLE BEARS. Oh, lordie. There's Eddie Albert, Jane Wyatt, and their kids. The boys have some kind of magic salve they use to turn ursine. Eddie is a college professor who doesn't want to conform and drive a "good, black American car". Instead, he tools around in a broken down jalopy. Eddie and Jane have a teen-age daughter with an inexplicable Southern accent, Brenda Lee, who sings "Honey Bear" to a couple of stuffed animals.

Then we have Milton "funeral director" Parsons as a pychiatrist who validates the theory of lycanthropy.

Soupy Sales is a neighbor.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 20, 2009 6:28 PM

I saw that W&W movie listed... 4:45 am? I don't know.... I filled my dvr this morning with George Sanders and I am not waking up that early to watch anything.

I hope Bertie doesn't end up unlocking some ancient curse...

Was The Two Bears a Disney movie? It sounds like some of those really odd ones from the sixties - there was one I really loved at the age of four or so - The GnomeMobile. Everyone in my family hated it, but I was obsessed with these little fairy girls in their pastel dresses. I don't remember anything else except Walter Brennan was in it as a crazy, mean old gnome.