Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bronxgirl48

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

I've been watching all the Falcons today. My favorite is THE FALCON AND THE CO-EDS. That one is almost Lewton-esque (some of the same cast) I also enjoyed THE FALCON OUT WEST (Tom Conway in cowboy attire astride a white horse is very hot; I like him better here than when he wears a suit) and THE FALCON IN MEXICO. (moody but a weak script does it in)

I'm staying up for THE ROBOT VS. THE AZTEC MUMMY, and there's another mummy movie after that (the name escapes me) then MUMMY'S BOYS. As I told Miss G., I'm hoping Bert wears those khaki pants as he's excavating, so I can see his cute little muscular legs, lol. This one doesn't have Dorothy Lee, though, but Barbara Pepper, so I'm not sure how good it will be.

Watching THE TWO LITTLE BEARS with my mouth hanging open, I was trying to date it, and came up with mid-Fifties, because it had that bland/weird vibe goin' on. Imagine my surprise when I finally hit the imdb board -- and found out it was made in 1961! It's faux Disney.

My introduction to Walter Brennan was as Grandpappy Amos in THE REAL MCCOYS, then I saw him in THE GNOMEMOBILE and he kind of freaked me out -- some crotchety old guy you wouldn't wanna cross. It was only later that I discovered what a great actor in classic films he really was.

Oh, Mom saw GREEN FIRE. Her "ramble":

"I'm sure Paul Douglas would have made a play for Grace Kelly if Stewart Granger hadn't been there. It was a pleasant movie, but nothing special. I think she was better in other movies like REAR WINDOW. Of course she looked beautiful. I liked Stewart Granger, he was very believable. But then this fake-looking rock comes tumbling down and I started to laugh. Grace owns this coffee plantation and she speaks Spanish, so she wasn't in Africa as I had originally thought. All in all, I could have done without the whole thing."

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 20, 2009 8:31 PM

I saw parts of The Two Little Bears once on my lunch hour. It was just as you describe, lol.

Yours and Jackie's description of "The Gnomemobile" sounds like it would have scared me to death as a kid.

Love Mom's ramble on Green Fire, hahahaha!

That's a stitch! Ha! I love Paul Douglas, so I am glad she didn't say anything bad about him..... the Spanish line had me laughing too.

I would probably agree with her if I watched it, but I can't think of anything less interesting than Gracy Kelly and Stewart Granger. I don't like either of them, and Paul Douglas just doesn't make up for having to watch the two of them together.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I saw parts of The Two Little Bears once on my lunch hour. It was just as you describe, lol.

It was so odd, wasn't it?? I was hoping Eddie and the kids really DID meet the Loch Ness monster at the end, and it swallowed them up.

>

> Yours and Jackie's description of "The Gnomemobile" sounds like it would have scared me to death as a kid.

I still shudder when I think about it.

>

> Love Mom's ramble on Green Fire, hahahaha!

It makes me almost want to see it, lol!

Mom liked Paul Douglas -- in fact she asked me "who was the older stout gruff guy who was Stewart Granger's friend?" She didn't remember his name.

I didn't see GREEN FIRE but I think Granger and Kelly would probably "cancel" each other out, because he's not exactly an emotionally complex actor, and Grace needs someone psychologically interesting to play against in order to bring out her own banked fires.

I actually like GREEN FIRE okay...it's a pleasant diversion. I'm not a big Stewart Granger fan myself, and kind of preferred Paul, ha.

It was filmed partly in Columbia, so that lends it a neat flair, and I love Grace's wardrobe.

I think Mom might have confused GF with MOGAMBO (about the location)

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 20, 2009 9:49 PM

OK, the mini-Walter Brennan sitting in the little girl's armchair sort of scared me already.

Gosh! I don't remember most of that..... just the woods and the very sixties type girls in their little mini dresses, and little mini Walter. I remember I was glad purple got the boy-gnome.

And was that JACK CARSON? No wonder it seems like I've always known him.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Gosh! I don't remember most of that..... just the woods and the very sixties type girls in their little mini dresses, and little mini Walter. I remember I was glad purple got the boy-gnome.

>

> And was that JACK CARSON? No wonder it seems like I've always known him.

Unfortunately Jack passed on a few years before *The Gnome-Mobile* was made but I've never actually seen the movie. I might have when I was really little but I don't remember. I've never seen *Green Fire* either. Or *The Two Little Bears* for that matter. So why I am I here?? :D

Just wanted to say hi I guess. :)

Oh, I did record *Mummy's Boys* though.

Oh and Bronxie, yes I'm a Leo, born on the 13th of August along with Gene Raymond, Hitchcock, Bert Lahr, Annie Oakly, Castro, and Danny Bonaduce. We're an odd lot! :)

> Oh, I did record *Mummy's Boys* though.

molo, I have the painful duty to inform you that this was HORRIBLE. I haven't seen all of W&W's films, but this must count as the WORST, and one of the lamest mystery/horror spoof/comedies EVER. The fact the duo needs Willie Best as a comic foil should tell you something. Barbara Pepper is no Dorothy Lee.

The boys do some verbal byplay with the phrase "as the crow flies." It's not funny.

I'll stick with A&C MEET THE MUMMY.

My Bert's character is so dense, he can't remember his own name or add up two and two.

Miss G., my baby DID wear his khaki shorts (and the pith helmet) but I was also treated to his naked back as he strips to allow Bob to draw a map there. Bert also was palpably bored, even listless, and I didn't blame him a bit. He seemed to be just going through the motions, so there was no comedic equilibrium between him and the more energetic (by default) Woolsey.

> Oh and Bronxie, yes I'm a Leo, born on the 13th of August along with Gene Raymond, Hitchcock, Bert Lahr, Annie Oakly, Castro, and Danny Bonaduce. We're an odd lot! :)

Don't forget Don Ho.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 21, 2009 8:47 PM

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> OK, the mini-Walter Brennan sitting in the little girl's armchair sort of scared me already.

That always creeped me out, let me tell you.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Gosh! I don't remember most of that..... just the woods and the very sixties type girls in their little mini dresses, and little mini Walter. I remember I was glad purple got the boy-gnome.

I think Walt was trying to repeat the success of DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE.

He failed.

>

> And was that JACK CARSON? No wonder it seems like I've always known him.

Nope, as molo says, not Jack. I'm glad -- I'd hate to think of him in this.

Oh, me too!

I also saw THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB as part of the mummy trilogy along with THE ROBOT VS. THE AZTEC MUMMY (see my "Mexican Horror Movies of the '30's, 40's and '50's" thread in Horror) and the unfortunate MUMMY'S BOYS.

The most uncanny thing about THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB is how similiar Ronald Howard is in speech and mannerisms to his dad Leslie. it's quite remarkable.

Scene: School

Our teacher's "home room" office near closing time.

The photocopy machine is already turned off.

We hear a noise coming from that direction.

It sounds exactly like the ants from THEM!

We listen in horror, transfixed at the sounds.

It goes on for ten minutes, then stops.

We run out.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 22, 2009 8:16 PM

I don't know what's WITH our state. If it's not hanging chads, it's pythons, lizards, alligators, leaping raccoons, unexplained black cats, and now....mutant ants in the photocopy machine.

Mom overcooked the turkey because instead of keeping an eye on it she was enthralled with THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET: "Oh, Don Knotts and the story was just adorable!"

However, she was wracked with guilt and did blame the movie.

The%20Incredible%20Mr.%20Limpet.jpg

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 29, 2009 6:35 PM

bronxgirl - sounds like you all are stretching out your holidays a bit. I'm already looking forward to my next stretch of days off coming up. I think I'll even print out the December schedule this time. I finally broke down and bought a new ink cartridge for my printer, and the next day, a headline in the business section read "HP stock goes up 14%". Truly ironic - next time I will get it refilled - way cheaper. Got to pinch those pennies.

You guys crack me up. Cinemafan, you havve to go shopping more often!

Bronxie - it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a little serving of guilt with the mashed potatoes. :)

> Bronxie - it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a little serving of guilt with the mashed potatoes. :)

HA!!! You said a "mouthful".

*"How do you solve a problem like The Bronxgirl?"*

You invite "Oh, Don".

Who *never, NEVER, ever* should be confused with today's version of "the" Donald.

"Oh, Don" is much more handsome, much more understanding and has spent considerably *less* time in bankruptcy court and Reality TV than "the" Donald.

Nor is he a relative of Don Ho's for all you wags out there.

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> bronxgirl - sounds like you all are stretching out your holidays a bit. I'm already looking forward to my next stretch of days off coming up. I think I'll even print out the December schedule this time. I finally broke down and bought a new ink cartridge for my printer, and the next day, a headline in the business section read "HP stock goes up 14%". Truly ironic - next time I will get it refilled - way cheaper. Got to pinch those pennies.

I've got a three-plus week winter break this month. It will drive me crazy, as I'm stuck in snow-less Florida and won't be able to go to New England this year on vacation. However, there IS Bogie as SOTM...

Did you see ISLE OF FURY? All I'll say about that one is they should have fed E.E. Clive (the doctor) to that "devil fish" (an Ed Wood BRIDE OF THE MONSTER octopus, lol) Poor Bogie. Nothing he could do with that script...

I asked Mom if she ever saw THE PETRIFIED FOREST.

Mom: "Is that the one where Bette Davis is telling Leslie Howard she hates him?"

Me: "No, you're thinking of OF HUMAN BONDAGE".

Mom: "Oh, that's right. Who is in it?

Me: "Bette Davis and Leslie Howard"

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Dec 5, 2009 4:51 AM