Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bronxgirl48

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I normally would hate to keep an O'Brien waiting, (including Pat in THE GREAT O'MALLEY) but I was tuckered out from some last-minute shopping yesterday and then promptly fell asleep when I got home. Then I woke up, tried to drag my sorry derriere to the computer for the "official" start on Friday of my weekend appearances here, but just keep lolling on the couch, dozing on and off.

I tried to watch *Moon and Sixpence* with George Sanders 3 times. Each time I fell asleep at the same point, right before you see him in Tahiti, and woke up when the dvd was done. Finally I gave up.

I hope it wasn't another of those *Village of the Damned* nights.... we'll have to see if Goddess, Maven, and Rohanaka fell asleep too.....

>Usually I do all my holiday purchases several months in advance; this year I'm just draggin'.

I am in the same boat - I just didn't get my act together and now I am paying for it, having to shop with all those crazy people....

>I saw some of THE PRIZE. Funnier than ROBOT VS. THE AZTEC MUMMY and VOODOO WOMAN put together. What was Ernest Lehman thinking? It was like GRAND HOTEL mixed with NORTH BY NORTHWEST. Paul Newman at the nudist colony convention was just bizarre. The movie starts out with two Swedish waiters for comedy relief, which is a contradiction right there. Elke looked chic, though.

Now I wish I'd watched it! Is it supposed to be funny? I hope not.

> I tried to watch *Moon and Sixpence* with George Sanders 3 times. Each time I fell asleep at the same point, right before you see him in Tahiti, and woke up when the dvd was done. Finally I gave up.

> I hope it wasn't another of those *Village of the Damned* nights.... we'll have to see if Goddess, Maven, and Rohanaka fell asleep too.....

Oooh, yes, that should be VERY interesting. (and George is in both of them)

> >Usually I do all my holiday purchases several months in advance; this year I'm just draggin'.

>

> I am in the same boat - I just didn't get my act together and now I am paying for it, having to shop with all those crazy people....

I'm so excited -- I got some fantastic stuff at Michaels Craft Store -- at 50 per cent off!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Dec 12, 2009 10:20 PM

That's just weird.....

It looks like they were going for the Hitchcockian thing, trying to hit those funny, creepy notes, but it just seems a bit loopy to me....

I'll have to try Michaels - we went there for Alice's birthday, and got some craft kits for her, but they were SO expensive. Maybe it's time to go back....

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> That's just weird.....

>

> It looks like they were going for the Hitchcockian thing, trying to hit those funny, creepy notes, but it just seems a bit loopy to me....

At least Elke wasn't there. (like in A SHOT IN THE DARK)

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I'll have to try Michaels - we went there for Alice's birthday, and got some craft kits for her, but they were SO expensive. Maybe it's time to go back....

I managed to pick up some really lovely little initialled items for the people I was shopping for. However, I couldn't for the life of me find any with 'S' and you should have seen me get down on the floor at the bottom bins, and rifle through EVERY letter until finally I found two! (I've got a Sharon and a Stacie on my list) There was every letter it seemed except that one.

I love Michaels. I want to buy up all their art supplies and dried flowers.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Dec 12, 2009 10:19 PM

We still have craft stuff we bought there that we will never get to!

My favorite gift I ever gave was a set of wooden canisters we bought at Michaels (I think they were 4 or 5 bucks) for my sister. I painted them in primary colors to match her kitchen. I printed Tex Avery characters from the computer on some paper. I cut away the backgrounds, and decoupaged (is that how you spell it?) the figures on either side of the canister, so that when you turned it around, you kind of got the visual punchline. One side would have Red Hot Riding Hood, and the other side would have Wolfie with his eyeballs popping out. They had a lot of movement to them. I made four or five of them, my favorite being this one I split in half with Wolfie on one side and Red's Grandma on the other side:

Photobucket

I like the section in Michaels with the garden pots, grapevine wreaths and decorative branches.

Gosh Wendy, you're so creative! I LOVE the description of your little cannisters!!

It was about the time Alice went to pre-school, and I was in this artistic phase (which was in part spurred on by the other overly competitive mothers and my not having anything to do while she was at school). I don't think I could put that much effort into a gift anymore if I tried.

Those canisters were a hoot, if I do say so myself. Here are some of the pictures I used.

http://www.texavery.com/wallpapers/

Edited by: JackFavell on Dec 12, 2009 11:01 PM

I could never be as creative -- man, that's so cool! (I know you're either in the land of Nod now, or watching Ellie/Lucia...)

I adore the grapevine wreaths from Michaels! I've got several in my living room.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Dec 13, 2009 12:38 AM

Great ideas Wendy, I'm sure it was a lot of fun creating the canisters. Glad you're all enjoying the holiday season! Barb, can't wait to hear more of your mother's occurrences.

"My favorite is Margaret Lockwood as Dirk's outspoken second wife in 'CAST A DARK SHADOW.' (she reminds me of Joan Bennett) I particularly like the way she automati-

cally pours coffee for the guests at her own wedding, a wonderful way, I thought, of

showing us her true character -- sure, she's money-hungry, but still the down-to-earth

ex-barmaid." - < Bronxgirl >

Margaret Lockwood was excellent, feisty and down-to-earth as the second wife. I liked her fearlessness in the face of her murderous husband. But Kay Walsh really won me over. I answered you here becuz we haven't heard anything from your mom lately. So I wanted to

bring her to the forefront and ask..."HOW'S MOM???????"

Yes, how is "Mom", Bronxie? What did she think about the cold snap and the frozen iguanas?

Miss G. and Mave -- Mom got a good report from her New Year's physical with the heart doctor and internist. They say that for 88 years old, she's doing very well. Thanks, guys, for your concern. She sends you her love.

I'd like to ask her what she thinks of Dirk Bogarde. I have a feeling she's never seen one of his films.

Her take on the frozen iguana phenomenon: "They're disgusting-looking even when they're warm."

Not a lizard lover unfortunately.

Mom's television of 25 years finally blew a gasket so I took her to Best Buy and she bought a 32 inch Toshiba flat-screen. She has to get used to the verticality of it all. She's got to wait until this coming Friday when they deiiver it to the den. (her bedroom t.v. doesn't have expanded cable and she's going crazy w/o TCM)

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 16, 2010 8:35 PM

Well I'm mighty glad to hear about the clean bill of health! That's a good start to the new year.

So if we call doctors "INternists", why don't they call dermatologists "externists"?

I am so excited about her new TV! Just think, she'll now see all those quirks and flaws in high resolution! :D (Amazing how many actresses had freckles)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Well I'm mighty glad to hear about the clean bill of health! That's a good start to the new year.

As long as we don't have another extended freeze, she and most of the other seniors down here will be fine. It seems that whenever the temps get below 80, they reach for the down coats.

>

> So if we call doctors "INternists", why don't they call dermatologists "externists"?

I feel a kinship with the state of your pondering.

>

> I am so excited about her new TV! Just think, she'll now see all those quirks and flaws in high resolution! :D (Amazing how many actresses had freckles)

And you know how she loves to pick out quirks and flaws.

Glad to hear Mom got a good report, Miss Bronxie. If it gets TOO chilly down in your neck of the woods... I can send her one of my sweet little faux cast iron stove spacer heaters.... it warms the toesies AND mesmerizes the eyes.. ha. (it could keep her entertained until the new tv arrives.. ha)

I keep thinking your adorable wee stove should star in its own Disney movie.

Mom appreciates all the kind words. She's having withdrawal pains from not watching TCM and is reduced to Lifetime Movies for Women (with 50,000 commercial interruptions) on her small bedroom television.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Mom appreciates all the kind words. She's having withdrawal pains from not watching TCM and is reduced to Lifetime Movies for Women (with 50,000 commercial interruptions) on her small bedroom television.

GaK! That sounds hideous! I pray for a quick delivery and installation......

glad to hear Mom is OK....

Mercifully her new set arrived yesterday morning, just as Lifetime was running it's upteenth Yoplait commecial, where young women rhapsodize over this product as if they were Meg Ryan at the deli in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

But no sooner does she turn on TCM than this:

Mom: "I just saw THE BRIDE WORE RED and Franchot Tone looked funny".

Me: "Can you elaborate?"

Mom: "I don't know, his face was just odd"

Me: (feeling like Frances McDormand interviewing the two Minnesota hookers in FARGO): So....he was funny looking and odd. Okay...."