Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> >

> But no sooner does she turn on TCM than this:

>

> Mom: "I just saw THE BRIDE WORE RED and Franchot Tone looked funny".

> Me: "Can you elaborate?"

> Mom: "I don't know, his face was just odd"

> Me: (feeling like Frances McDormand interviewing the two Minnesota hookers in FARGO): So....he was funny looking and odd. Okay...."

>

Franchot Tone once described himself as looking like a "scared turtle".

No, Ann Sothern looks like a horse.... in the best possible way... I do think she's beautiful, but still.

Whenever I would read a bedtime story to my daughter with a female horse that talked, I would always give it Ann Sothern's voice.

Maybe it's just me.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> No, Ann Sothern looks like a horse.... in the best possible way... I do think she's beautiful, but still.

>

> Whenever I would read a bedtime story to my daughter with a female horse that talked, I would always give it Ann Sothern's voice.

>

> Maybe it's just me.

I agree with Maven -- Ann's a feline! She's got a bewitching kind of face, like you'd never quite know what she'd be up to....

(speaking of female horses, I wonder if Mae West thought she might do her own version of Mr. Ed after being on that episode. ("Come to the barn and see me some time")

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 24, 2010 2:51 PM

*Musicnovelty wrote:*

*Franchot Tone once described himself as looking like a "scared turtle".*

*Cinemafan wrote:*

*That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!*

I'm sorry to have to tell Franchot that I've got turtles better looking than him. Really. :)

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Musicnovelty wrote:*

> *Franchot Tone once described himself as looking like a "scared turtle".*

> *Cinemafan wrote:*

> *That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!*

>

> I'm sorry to have to tell Franchot that I've got turtles better looking than him. Really. :)

I like the guy, don't get me wrong. I even thought he was handsome in his early movies, but that description is something that I've been waiting to hear for years.

Once a friend of mine took desperate measures to beat my time with a woman. He literally stalked us. Somebody else said, in a movie, that would be cute. He'd be Errol Flynn and I'd be Franchot Tone! For once, I think I prefer reality. Predictably, neither of us got the girl!

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Musicnovelty wrote:*

> *Franchot Tone once described himself as looking like a "scared turtle".*

> *Cinemafan wrote:*

> *That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!*

>

> I'm sorry to have to tell Franchot that I've got turtles better looking than him. Really. :)

LOL. Poor Franchot.

Mom: "I saw John Lennon's first film"

Me: "Where?"

Mom: "On TCM"

Me: "You saw John Lennon's first film on TCM? I didn't see A HARD DAY'S NIGHT on the schedule"

Mom: "Which one is that?"

Me: "The first movie the Beatles made"

Mom: "I'm not talking about the Beatles!"

Me: "Then why did you say you saw John Lennon's first film?"

Mom: "Because he was with the blonde from Broadway"

Me: (lightbulb moment) "Are you talking about JACK LEMMON in that movie with Judy Holliday, IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU?"

Mom: "Yes, that's it, I meant to say Jack Lemmon".

Me: "So why didn't you?"

Mom: "Look, I'm getting older"

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 24, 2010 6:22 PM

I liked Ann through all phases of her career. She became an excellent character actress later on. (she's very effective in THE BEST MAN)

Here she is on WHAT'S MY LINE, where the gang bats zero, and Ann looks p.o.'d, lol. (even Arlene couldn't come up with anything, ha! -- she usually nails them right away)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04bHlDgcpg8

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 24, 2010 6:36 PM

> Lloyd Nolan does look like Bugs Bunny!

Oh, whew, good! I thought I was the only one. (also Zachary Scott)

>

> I'll never be able to look at him again without thinking that...

A fine actor, with rabbit ears.

>

> I think Franchot was a game guy to describe himself that way.

Me too. Although I have to say he looked more like a turtle as he got older.

He didn't age real well. I'm thinking of him in that Twilight Zone episode, "The Silence". But he was a talented actor.

> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :D

Is that for Mom confusing Jack Lemmon with John Lennon, or the photos of Lloyd and Bugs, LOL?

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 24, 2010 7:26 PM

I saw my first Irene Dunne early '30's crank-'em-out weepie, NO OTHER WOMAN, with gruff Charles Bickford (who always looks like he's going to punch someone in the mouth) I wasn't iimpressed with this -- first of all, here we have a woman born and bred in Steel Town who wants better things from life, but is she a nagging, shrewish, passionate, ferocious witch stepping on everyone to get her way? Like Ida in THE HARD WAY or Bette in BEYOND THE FOREST? Nope. because it's sweet, supportive, sensitive, sensible Irene, who quietly decides to take in boarders to make ends meet and save up enough for her and sweetie Charles to finally move out. Irene's acting in this part baffled me -- she was natural, but also stilted. How could that be at the same time?? I guess with these quickie soapers, there wasn't time for nuanced character development.

After the couple's circumstances change, there's a ludicrous courtroom scene (with a young barely recognizable J. Carrol Naish as a lawyer)

where it's luridly suggested by him to Irene on the stand that maybe her stand-by-your-man attitudes are motivated as much by (gasp!) nasty old materialism and greed (the bane of Depression-era set films) as by love.

Yes, capitalism ruining another marriage, unless it's not too late!

I'M JUST REALIZING THAT THIS POST SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN RAMBLES II, DARN IT!!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 24, 2010 7:29 PM