Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Oh thank you, SueSue. I've been feeling a bit down lately, for various reasons, including the fact my so-called technical skills on the board are rapidly going downhill.

Mom tried to cheer me up by talking about fish, so she goes: "Do you know how they mate? ( should know, but I don't".

At least I got a laugh out of that.

• 3 months later...

I love Grant - didn't realize this was his first foray into comedy, at which he excelled, or so says Wiki - and I was happy to see the movie again, but.............did anyone else feel like they were watching another movie altogether when Grant and Dunne went to the cabin?

Bellamy and Grant's fiancee who came out of nowhere and Duvalle were completely and utterly forgotten.

It was fun, though. At some points, I thought I was listening to Marx Brothers dialogue.

• 1 month later...

I wish all to be aware of a movie which is scheduled to air on this coming Thursday. It is *The Man Who Laughs* (1966).

Jean Sorel is the star. He is very easy on the eyes and very, very French. ;)

I believe the men will like to see Lisa Gastoni in a tight Italian costume.

I have not seen this movie. I am anticipating it greatly as one of the characters is Lucrezia Borgia. She is one of my great idols. I believe it may be wonderful if they have kept faithful to her character even although the plot is contrived and it is not based on a historical incident.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I am curious about this remake of the 1928 version of the film.

I believe from what I have read that it is not a favorable comparison. I have seen comments that it is fine when considered in its own right and it is not held to such a higher standard. It is what it is.

It has been decades since I have seen the original and it never became a favorite of mine.

> I am always happy to watch a good looking frenchman. :D

That is why I mentioned it. :)

I recently saw "The Grapes of Wrath" for the 1st time. Great movie- Gregg Toland, John Ford, Hank Fonda, and Jane Darwell, all are excellant. And while maybe not faithful to the letter, it was certainly faithful in spirit. What surprised me the most was Fonda's back hair! How refreshing; in this age of metrosexulity to see a movie star with back hair. I cant' imagine Tom Joad body waxing. I'm glad ot was permitted to remain.'

I just got back from the Nervous Hospital (i.e. Chez Mom's)

No, but seriously....

How the heck are ya? My mother and I were thrown together

these past two months thanks to water damage and minor surgery. It's been glorious and horrendous: skirmishes, knishes, an emu sprinting by a local deli, the Newton Minnowesque torments of bonding over Ice Loves Coco and Mob Wives, her reaction towards THEM: "I see ants all the time in my kitchen, I don't have to watch them in a movie!",

the mortality of Jerry Lewis ("Is he still alive?"), her sitting next to a FRENZY Barry Foster lookalike at the supermarket -- you don't know the half of it.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Apr 3, 2012 3:00 AM

Lynn, pull up a tombstone and prepare for horror stories beyond belief. You see, it started when Mom left a large chicken in her car trunk for 24 hours, and it all went downhill from there.

> You see, it started when Mom left a large chicken in her car trunk for 24 hours, and it all went downhill from there.

Barb,

Let me open a bottle of wine (or would you prefer brandy), I think we're going to need some. I'll try not to do a spit take.

1.) Great to have you back Bronxie! Sounds like it was quite the adventure! :)

2.) Wendy, the 1928 version of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS is a really good film.

It takes place in England around the time of Charles II, rather than in Venice.

Conrad Veidt does a superb performance. The makeup he had to wear in order to have the joker-like face made it nearly impossible to speak, so he had to convey much of his emotions with his eyes. Bob Keane, the creator of Batman, was a kid when he saw this film and was later inspired to draw the Joker based on Conrad Veidt's make up for TMWL.

KINO released it on DVD a few years ago (there was a nice restoration done on it), it is complete w/ its original musuc score from Vitaphone typre sound discs.

Let the spirits flow.

It was a dark and stormy night...

Listen my children and you shall hear the decomposing chicken near...

I didn't know Mom drove herself to the market for this poultry purchase. Her excuse for not remembering to take it out of the trunk was yours truly. "YOU MADE ME DO IT!" (what, not the doors?) How, you ask? Beats me. The fetid

odor of the creature lingered, like some loathsome Lovecraftian beast...

From then on, the chicken was on both our minds. One night it invaded my sleep, taking the form of Mike the Famous Headless Chicken, who kept running toward me, gibbering, flapping, heedless, a nightmare of mutant feathers. Mom would often mention the original Perdue oven-stuffer roaster with equal portions of grief and bitterness. I never knew why.

Mom on:

THE LION: "I like William Holden better with Jennifer Jones. Look at Trevor Howard's bony knees!"

A YANK IN THE R.A.F.: "I had hair like Betty Grable. But Tyrone Power wasn't around"

THE NUTTY PROFESSOR: "You know, Jerry Lewis wasn't bad looking". (I didn't know if she meant as Buddy Love or Julius Kelp)

VERTIGO: "Kim Novak doesn't smile a lot"

REAR WINDOW: "I don't see what's so great about a movie where a man is in a wheelchair with a broken leg. But I like Thelma Ritter!"

SINCERELY YOURS: "I didn't know Liberace was an actor"

NIGHT AND THE CITY: "Where was Gene Tierney?"

More to come...

Thank you, Scottman, and yes, lol, it was.

Googie Withers gets a delicious, almost Cavalcanti-ish, Dickensian comeuppance in NIGHT AND THE CITY. Mom didn't care for the movie as a whole. She prefers the bridge-and-tunnel appeal of Dassin's NEVER ON SUNDAY. (I don't know what it is, but senior citizens have a fondness for on-screen ladies of the night)

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Apr 3, 2012 3:04 AM

HEY, Ms. Bronxie! It's great to have you back!

Let me first say that I am SOOOOO sympatico with your mom on the subject of Trevor's knees. YIKES! Really? Whoever gave him that costume must have had a vendetta against him. What did he do on set to peeve the costumer off like that? They should've been taken out and left on the veldt. Or perhaps left in the trunk of your mom's car with a rotting chicken. Yeah, that's a good one. Mafiosos take note!

> Listen my children and you shall hear the decomposing chicken near...

>

> I didn't know Mom drove herself to the market for this poultry purchase. Her excuse for not remembering to take it out of the trunk was yours truly. "YOU MADE ME DO IT!" (what, not the doors?) How, you ask? Beats me. The fetid

> odor of the creature lingered, like some loathsome Lovecraftian beast...

>

I take it you and Mom have seen "Arthur"? :D

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi3569550105/